Nentir Vale and beyond: locales, cities and other regions

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Nentir Vale and beyond: locales, cities and other region

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:12 am

Updates with places from Psionic Power and the Last Legion article.

barrataria
Kobold

Post by barrataria » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:10 pm

I've been looking all over the internets for this kind of intro to this world, so thank you very much. My homebrew bears a fair resemblance to this, likely because I tried to reverse-engineer from the B/X rules and modules as they seem to have done. I really never paid any attention to 4E so it's fun to make this kind of "discovery" of new info!

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 am

Thanks. I really hope you (and anyone) find this post useful.

BTW, I've updated the Moon Hills region with info from the Unearthed Arcana and the novels.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Nentir Vale and beyond: locales, cities and other regions

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:34 am

Added places from the short-story "The Decaying Mansion of Memories" to the unknown regions section.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:00 am

Question, does the planet (or equivalent celestial object, or "the entire world" if it has no habitable Firmament surrounding it) that the Nentir Vale is on have a name? I've heard the name "Nerath" used a lot, but didn't know if that was any more than a modest region, equivalent to a European country or a United State, perhaps even a continent.

I know that canonically, the core 4E setting had a "points of light" theme which contraindicated the idea of having large-scale knowledge, but I'm hoping they let that slip one time and did establish a canonical name for the place. If people from all across Nerath and possibly beyond it managed to put together a Spelljammer and take off in it, looking down at their entire globe and then voyaging off to Oerth or Toril or Aebrynis, what would they end up calling their homeworld as a whole, rather than just the most dominant region of it (eg Nentir Vale or Rokugan or the Flanaess)? In the event of the "outer space? What's that?" version of this, substitute Planescape for Spelljammer, although I would imagine that the denizens of Sigil care somewhat less about distinguishing Ansalon from Krynn or Eberron from Khorvaire.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:32 am

Nope. The scholars of that world didn't need a name for it, because its the only one planet in the crystal sphere (yeah, the concept of crystal spheres is canon in Nentir Vale; old plain Spelljammer), all other planets of the system were destroyed by the primordials or as collateral damage in the Dawn War. So, they just call it "The World", because is the only habitable world in this universe. Religious sages, however, call it "The First Work", as the planet was the first work of the primordials that the gods modified.

In other worlds/planes, it is called "the world of Nerath" because Nerath was its last great empire, an empire that usually sent sages and adventurers to other spheres so people knew it existed. Even one of the current Masked Lords of Waterdeep is Omin Dran, a guy that hails from Nentir Vale. And I'm pretty sure that in some places, like in Toril, people doesn't know yet that Nerath is no more (officially, Nerath had crumbled just a century ago).

So, pretty much for people like Omin, the World is just "the world of Nerath" while talking about it with other people.

EDIT: According to the 5e DMG, this world is also known as the world of the Dawn War. So, perhaps this is the name scholars from other worlds call it when refer to this planet/sphere/world.
Last edited by Zeromaru X on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:35 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:32 am
[O]ne of the current Masked Lords of Waterdeep is Omin Dran, a guy that hails from Nentir Vale. And I'm pretty sure that in some places, like in Toril, people doesn't know yet that Nerath is no more. So, pretty much for people like Omin, the World is just "the world of Nerath" while talking about it with other people.
I had no idea that was the case. Which book(s) is this in? I'd love to check it out.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:46 am

Omin appears in Ed Greenwood's latest Forgotten Realms' novel, Death Masks. Chris Perkins confirmed that he asked Ed to include Omin in the novel, and that this Omin is the same old Omin from Incorporated Inc., the adventuring band that is depicted in adventures that took place in Nentir Vale, such as "Storm Tower" (the adventure that is published in the only one 4e Dungeon Annual).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:54 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:46 am
Omin appears in Ed Greenwood's latest Forgotten Realms' novel, Death Masks. Chris Perkins confirmed that he asked Ed to include Omin in the novel, and that this Omin is the same old Omin from Incorporated Inc., the adventuring band that is depicted in adventures that took place in Nentir Vale, such as "Storm Tower" (the adventure that is published in the only one 4e Dungeon Annual).
Super interesting. I wonder if Chris Perkins went to that effort in order to create a tie that can be used in later 5e products. I suppose we won't know until we wait long enough.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue May 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Included a lot of new areas, such as Ironwood ruins, the places from "The Decaying Mansions of Memories" and Mechanus.

Return to “Nentir Vale”