Would you support a Nentir Vale fanzine/blog?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Would you support a Nentir Vale fanzine/blog?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:03 am

This came up in my [4e][Nentir Vale] How much of Underdark is Nentir Vale? topic:
Zeromaru X wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Zeromaru X wrote:Well, that's why we (the vast majority of 4e fans) are so disappointed with WotC for having cancelled the Nentir Vale Gazetteer. :|
If you ever want to create Zeromaru X's Nentir Vale Gazetteer (or work on a fan netbook/fanzine for Nentir Vale) I'll be very very happy to spread the word and try to recruit other people.
That would be a wonderful idea. Maybe a non-edition related fanzine or a blog.
So far, The Piazza has helped launch two projects like this. (Threshold Magazine for Mystara and Wildspace: The Spelljammer Fanzine for Spelljammer.) So this is possible. But it can be a lot of work to get going. (13th House for Eberron didn't quite make it. I'd love to see people have a second go at doing an Eberron fanzine, at some point, but that's another discussion for the Eberron forum.) There is currently also a call-to-arms to get a Maztica fanzine going.

Anyhoo. It seems that Nentir Vale has picked up a bit at The Piazza, but I'm wondering if there are enough fans here to support a small fanzine or blog to collect articles for the campaign setting? :)

The setting seems popular enough, but I'm wondering how many people here are "experts" and how many people would be interested, but not expert enough to be able to write stuff.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Would you support a Nentir Vale fanzine/blog?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:16 am

Big Mac wrote:The setting seems popular enough, but I'm wondering how many people here are "experts" and how many people would be interested, but not expert enough to be able to write stuff.
I'm not an expert, sadly. (I'm still learning about Nentir Vale. And I owe content to Wildspace, so I'm not sure how much time I could spare - perhaps some joint work with Wildspace on "Nerathspace" could be done, at some point. :) )

But I will make the same offer that I made to the people who were trying to launch a Mystara fanzine, the people who were trying to launch a Spelljammer fanzine and the people who were trying to launch an Eberron fanzine.

If enough people to get this idea of the ground want to do a fanzine or blog, I will support a request for a private forum for fanzine writers/editors to colaborate. (If people want a fanzine/blog and if they would like a private forum for planning articles.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:20 am

I would like the idea, but I need someone who help with my english.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon May 02, 2016 2:36 am

Zeromaru X wrote:I would like the idea, but I need someone who help with my english.
I enjoy the Nentir Vale, and its balance between having the skeleton for my campaign vs being overly detailed. However, I only used the coarse-grained parts of the setting: Fallcrest, Hammerfast, Harkenwold, and a couple other locations. I used the default pantheon, and touched on some of the history between Bael Turath and Arkhosia. That's basically the limit of my Nentir Vale knowledge. It became my gaming group's setting -- we owned it and tailored it to our liking. So I'm not sure how much help I can be for a fanzine or blog.

That being said, if I can help with something like editing, I'd be happy to provide assistance. I'd love to see something like this take shape!

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon May 02, 2016 8:26 am

Well, I have some ideas that I want to implement, if not in a fanzine or a blog, then here on the forum. Something like topic about stuff specific to the vale, a Nentir Vale guide of sorts. A source were I can put all the info about the vale that I have: geographical, historical, what kind of races do live in the vale and how they live, and the like.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 02, 2016 12:34 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:I would like the idea, but I need someone who help with my english.
You are truly a genius, but you are right. If someone who knew Nentir Vale teamed up with you, they could fix up any of the minor errors you make with your English. (And there are those grammar nazi types who would ignore all the cool stuff you write and complain about you putting a comma in the wrong place or using the wrong type of connecting word.) But your English is pretty good. You mostly need someone to read your stuff and tidy up a few things.
Tim Baker wrote:
I enjoy the Nentir Vale, and its balance between having the skeleton for my campaign vs being overly detailed. However, I only used the coarse-grained parts of the setting: Fallcrest, Hammerfast, Harkenwold, and a couple other locations. I used the default pantheon, and touched on some of the history between Bael Turath and Arkhosia. That's basically the limit of my Nentir Vale knowledge. It became my gaming group's setting -- we owned it and tailored it to our liking. So I'm not sure how much help I can be for a fanzine or blog.

That being said, if I can help with something like editing, I'd be happy to provide assistance. I'd love to see something like this take shape!
You know more than me Tim, so if your familiarity with some of the Nentir Vale canon allowed you to know what Zeromaru X was writing about, and edit out any errors, you could really help him to help the rest of us learn more about Nentir Vale and Nerath. :)

And, as I know very little about Fallcrest, Hammerfast, Harkenworld, the default pantheon and the history of Nentir Vale, your "limited use" of Nentir Vale would still be something that could educate someone at my level. Perhaps, if you learn more, you could help the rest of us learn with you.
Zeromaru X wrote:Well, I have some ideas that I want to implement, if not in a fanzine or a blog, then here on the forum. Something like topic about stuff specific to the vale, a Nentir Vale guide of sorts. A source were I can put all the info about the vale that I have: geographical, historical, what kind of races do live in the vale and how they live, and the like.
Well, what we have here is good, and I hope to see it continue. So if you stuck with creating awesome topics, that would not be a bad thing. If you keep up with the topics, at the rate you are going at, you will have all the information you need to create a guide. Perhaps a fixed goal (like your Nentir Vale guide) would be easier than an ongoing goal (like a fanzine/blog). And if a guide works out well, you could decide to write some more topics that expand Nentir Vale or Nerath in some other way, afterwards. :cool:

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon May 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:You know more than me Tim, so if your familiarity with some of the Nentir Vale canon allowed you to know what Zeromaru X was writing about, and edit out any errors, you could really help him to help the rest of us learn more about Nentir Vale and Nerath. :)

And, as I know very little about Fallcrest, Hammerfast, Harkenworld, the default pantheon and the history of Nentir Vale, your "limited use" of Nentir Vale would still be something that could educate someone at my level. Perhaps, if you learn more, you could help the rest of us learn with you.
I'm certainly happy to help however I can, given my limited knowledge and time constraints. It sounds like proofreading would be helpful, and I can do a reasonably good job of making recommendations to improve readability. And if I learn more in the course of such a project, I'm always big on sharing with the community.

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Zeromaru X discussion of his netbook split into a new topic, called: A Nentir Vale Gazetteer.

Return to “Nentir Vale”