Zero's map of the Nerathan League

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.

Zero's map of the Nerathan League

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:04 pm

This is a map I was working on the last month, covering the northern territory of the Nerathan League. It's mostly canon. I mean, all places are canon, and Nentir Vale's and the Dragondown Coast's locations for those places are canon as well. However, since 4e adventures and sourcebooks never gave us exact locations for some locales, certain places have been placed in regions I believe are the most appropriate for them. You guys are free to use this map if you like.

Here you go (warning: is a big map. 3043 x 5443)

Thanks to this guy on reddit for making an unlabeled Nerath map, it was really useful for this little project.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Re: Zero's map of the Nerathan League

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:49 am

Sweet map!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:This is a map I was working on the last month, covering the northern territory of the Nerathan League. It's mostly canon. I mean, all places are canon, and Nentir Vale's and the Dragondown Coast's locations for those places are canon as well. However, since 4e adventures and sourcebooks never gave us exact locations for some locales, certain places have been placed in regions I believe are the most appropriate for them. You guys are free to use this map if you like.

Here you go (warning: is a big map. 3043 x 5443)

That's fantastic. :cool:

Zeromaru X wrote:Thanks to this guy on reddit for making an unlabeled Nerath map, it was really useful for this little project.

It's ironic that CargoCulture has spent so much time cleaning off the labels, so that you could add them back on. :lol:

It looks like CargoCulture has worked on the Conquest of Nerath map and cleaned that up (and done a great job). Your map is a subsection of that cleaned up map. Do you think you will ever do anything with any of the other parts of CargoCulture's map? Or are all the 4e adventures located in the section you used here?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby RichGreen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:00 pm

That's a great map!
RichGreen
Bugbear

Postby Cargo Culture » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:38 pm

The great thing about the things I create and share is that there's always things in there that I know are there but others never will.

I can always tell when people use the Nerath map that I worked on. :)
Cargo Culture
Kobold

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Big Mac wrote:It looks like CargoCulture has worked on the Conquest of Nerath map and cleaned that up (and done a great job). Your map is a subsection of that cleaned up map. Do you think you will ever do anything with any of the other parts of CargoCulture's map? Or are all the 4e adventures located in the section you used here?

That would be really difficult. On the other sections of the map there are fewer known fixed locations. Most of the locations on this map are already ad hoc, picked up because I feel that the place I located them is their right spot based on their relative proximity to the Nentir Vale (to the west, or south, or near, or "there is activity of River Rats in Barrinsgate", and we know Kelson had plans to expand the activities of the River Rats to other cities... and so on).

In other spots of the map there is no Nentir Vale to use as reference. But, I can expand the map to cover the southern part of the Nerathi continent if needed (there are a few Arkhosian spots I can use as reference, and the Altaran peninsula was somehow covered in the Nerathi Legends articles).

Cargo Culture wrote:The great thing about the things I create and share is that there's always things in there that I know are there but others never will.

I can always tell when people use the Nerath map that I worked on. :)

Thanks for your hard work.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Supposing that this map was printed off, what would be the ideal dimensions for that?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:33 am

That's a good question, indeed, as there are no dimensions given in the official map. We can use the Nentir Vale dimensions as reference, however. Nentir Vale is 40,000 square mile, approx.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Gord » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:34 am

That is a beautiful job you have done on this. I'm curious as to if there has been any thought given to the latitudes of various locations such as Fallcrest or Vor Rukoth? I've been thinking of weather tables lately and looking at some examples. The general descriptions of weather for the vale are there of course, but I'm curious if anyone has seen anything definitive on this.
Gord
Kobold

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:08 am

That is an excellent question (that I never though before). So, canonish stuff (all places mentioned are in the map):

• Nentir Vale, according to DMG, is a cold land, but no so cold as to see snow but only in the coldest weeks of winter. Climate is mostly mild and rainy.
  • The Winterbole Forest and anything north of it is hellish cold. Heck, the place is so cold that white dragons actually like the climate of that forest and go there to mate. Lakes Nen and Wintermist are ridiculously cold, as well.
  • According to the Last Garrison novel, the Dusk Peak Mountains area is a snow land.
  • Likewise, the lands around Haven are cold lands, but rarely see snow. So, Nentir Vale level of climate.
  • Places like the Hinterlands and the Plains of Chaos are connected with the planes (reality barriers are weak there), so the climate is affected by the planes. There is no info on what plane the Hinterlands are connected at, but the Plains of Chaos are connected to the Elemental Chaos. Meaning, climate there is a mess.
  • The Skuld Fields are desert lands according to the Vor Rukoth sourcebook. The climate may seen out of place compared with nearby lands, but we have to take into account that the tieflings of Bael Turath poisoned their lands using defiling magic...
  • The lands around the Horned Hills and the northern Dragondown Coast (like the Lightless Marsh) are tropical terrain, according to the Seal of Karga Kul novel. The southern Dragondown Coast (Kul Desert) and the Sarn Plateu are desert areas. Again, Turathi magic defiled those lands. Nearby lands, such as the Blackfall Vale, maybe are pretty hot lands because of that.
  • The Trollhaunt Warrens are marshlands. This means, that, combining the hot climate of the Golden Hills and the forest/tropical climate of the Harken Forest with the Trollhaunt's marsh terrain will make the Barony of Therund a tropical land with temperate climate.
  • So, we can assume that Golden Savannah and all lands south of it have temperate climate as well. In fact, it kinda makes sense, as the Desert of Desolation is right in the south, and the Altaran Peninsula has a tropical climate. It makes more sense if we connect the Golden Savannah with the Golden Plains of Elsir Vale, like in this map, as the Elsir Vale is a tropical land, according to the Red Hand of Doom.

BTW, I'm updating the map. I'm working to include both the Altaran and Harthyar Peninsulas, as well as the Elsir Vale (no promises on this one), as those places have settlements that are counted as part of the Nerathan League. I also moved Nera's location to the coast. I had forgotten that Nera is a port city.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Return to Nentir Vale