Homeland locations for PC races

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.

Homeland locations for PC races

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:03 am

Do we have a list of the various possible homeland locations for the various PC races, in Nentir Vale and the wider Nerath area?

I know that Nentir Vale has that "points of light" thing. Does that remove the option of small towns and villages and force players to use large towns and cities as the place of birth of their PCs?

Do some playable races have more options for hometowns than others? If so, which race has the most options and which is the most limited?

Did the later 4e sourcebooks, that added extra races invent new Nentir Vale/Nerath locaions, to act as homelands, or did they retcon those races into existing towns and cities?

Are there many cities that have a strong tie to a single D&D race or does Nentir Vale mostly have cities with a variety of races?

Do the various races have a "history" that explains how they came to live in the various parts of Nentir Vale?

How easy is it to extrapolate from Nentir Vale and design the right level of "points of light" locations across the less documented parts of Nerath?

Would you use the same mix of races across Nerath? Or would you make some races more common or less common in specific Nerath regions?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Homeland locations for PC races

Postby Zeromaru X » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:44 am

Big Mac wrote:Do we have a list of the various possible homeland locations for the various PC races, in Nentir Vale and the wider Nerath area?

I know that Nentir Vale has that "points of light" thing. Does that remove the option of small towns and villages and force players to use large towns and cities as the place of birth of their PCs?

There is what you have in the maps. They do not delved too much in homelands and stuff. There are broad generalities (dragonborn are from the south, goliaths from the mountains, eladrin from the Feywild), but beyond that, the GM is free to device his/her own homelands.

And nope, you can chose villages and small towns. In fact, the whole Nentir Vale area has only one city (Hammerfast) and one big town (Fallcrest). The rest are villages and small towns. Big cities are way to the south of the Vale, and only a few (Adretia, Sarthel, Rethmil) got a dragon article about them.

Do some playable races have more options for hometowns than others? If so, which race has the most options and which is the most limited?

The stereotypical ones. Dwarves, elves, humans, all had their own "my race only" hometowns. Most others are minorities. This is specially true for dragonborn and tieflings, as lorewise the emperors of Nerath forbid them to do race only settlement.

Did the later 4e sourcebooks, that added extra races invent new Nentir Vale/Nerath locaions, to act as homelands, or did they retcon those races into existing towns and cities?

Retcon in most of the cases.

Are there many cities that have a strong tie to a single D&D race or does Nentir Vale mostly have cities with a variety of races?

Do the various races have a "history" that explains how they came to live in the various parts of Nentir Vale?

Since Nerath was a cosmopolitan empire where peoples of all races lived together, mixed settlements are the norm, while race-only are very rare.

Indeed there is a story, that is in my history document. But to make a quick review, most inhabitants of Nentir Vale today are descendants of settlers from Nerath.

How easy is it to extrapolate from Nentir Vale and design the right level of "points of light" locations across the less documented parts of Nerath?

Rather easy. They even encouraged you to steal stuff from Eberron and FR and put them in less documented areas if you needed help.

Would you use the same mix of races across Nerath? Or would you make some races more common or less common in specific Nerath regions?

Lorewise, all races were wideaspread enough in Nerath. Stuff like 5e's Uncommon races, does not exist in Nentir Vale. That said, dragonborn, eladrin and tieflings, were less common in the Nentir Vale region (only recently started to move there in significant numbers) and more common in central and southern Nerath. Still, were common enough to people seeing a tiefling and not freaking about it.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:01 am

Big Mac wrote:I know that Nentir Vale has that "points of light" thing. Does that remove the option of small towns and villages and force players to use large towns and cities as the place of birth of their PCs?

I can't add much to what Zeromaru X has already said. However, I wanted to point out that the "points of light" generally refer to the locations where civilization has a toehold against all of the forces working against it. These points of light are generally small -- a settlement here, a village there -- and the presence of heroes can tip the balance between their survival or their being snuffed out by the malignant forces around them.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:47 am

I was re-reading some of the material, and here are some generalities about homelands. All the names I'm referencing can be located in the official map.

-Dwarves are the majority of the Dawnforge Mts. population, as they created many kingdoms in those mountains after the Dawn War. Perhaps only sharing this title with kenkus in the northern mountains, as the Raven Queen created the kenkus in that area (according to the Last Garrison novel). Elsir Vale has also a sizable population of dwarves since before Nerath.

-Harken Forest has a sizable population of elves, as the first elves that came from the Feywild entered to the natural world in that region. There is a permanent portal to the Feywild in the Barony of Therund (the Moon Stair), so eladrin and gnomes are common there as well. Elves are also the majority in the lands of the Vailin Alliance.

-Dragonborn founded their first civilizations in the south of the Nerath continent, in the areas known as the Desert of Desolation and the Altaran Peninsula (what is now the Iron Circle area). With Arkhosia at its zenith, they spread to the north, founding Karga-Kul and other cities in the Gulf of Kul (near Vor Rukoth in the official map). They are still a majority there. That said, after the fall of Arkhosia, elves dominated the lands of the Emerald Blade Barony and nearby forest in the Altaran Peninsula. Sea elves and half-elves have a sizable population there.

-Humans potentially originated in Selduria (eastern continent), as Zannad is located there. Zannad is the Yuan-ti empire that enslaved the first humans. They later spread across the world, to the isle of Kelarnil (the island in the center of the map) and later to the Nerath area and founded Bael Turath, so tieflings are common in central Nerath and Kelarnil.

-Shifters originated in the Winterbole Forest area. They are more common in northern and central Nerath.

-Goliath are common in all mountains around the world.

-Warforged are common in Nerathi lands, as they were created by Nerathi artificers.

-Orcs are the majority in the Stonemarch and the Realm of the Gorgon King, what means half-orcs are more common there as well.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Return to Nentir Vale