Punjar in the Nentir Vale

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.

Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 am

So, to "level up" the forum and resolve a question I have...

Reading a D&D blog, I learned about some third party products created by Goodman games that use the Nentir Vale/Nerath as their setting. They are based around the city of Punjar. I know there are a few races books (I guess they cover the dragonborn, tiefling and eladrin races) and some adventures.

While I do own every 4e book WotC released, I do not have those third party books, and I like to purchase them. My problem is that I do not know the names of those books. Is there a list of those products somewhere in the net? Thanks in advance. :P
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 am

Here's their store: http://goodman-games.com/store/product- ... er-titles/ The 4e-compatible titles are labeled as such.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks. There are a lot of books based in Punjar... I guess I'm going to start with the Sellswords adventures.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Matrix Sorcica » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Punjar is a city in Goodman Games's own setting Aereth. There's no connection to Nerath/Nentir Vale iirc.
Matrix Sorcica
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:So, to "level up" the forum and resolve a question I have...

:lol:

Zeromaru X wrote:Reading a D&D blog, I learned about some third party products created by Goodman games that use the Nentir Vale/Nerath as their setting. They are based around the city of Punjar. I know there are a few races books (I guess they cover the dragonborn, tiefling and eladrin races) and some adventures.

While I do own every 4e book WotC released, I do not have those third party books, and I like to purchase them. My problem is that I do not know the names of those books. Is there a list of those products somewhere in the net? Thanks in advance. :P

That's a very interesting claim.

Do you remember the name of the blog? Did they cite any "evidence" or was it an opinion? Or is this something they do for their homebrew version of Nentir Vale?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Matrix Sorcica wrote:Punjar is a city in Goodman Games's own setting Aereth. There's no connection to Nerath/Nentir Vale iirc.

Thanks.

I wonder why that blogger thought it was. Is Aereth a setting built to have a Points of Light theme, or did it exist before 4th Edition?

EDIT: I just looked it up. Apparently it is the Dungeon Crawl Classics campaign setting. I wonder if those products started off fairly generic.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Big Mac wrote:That's a very interesting claim.

Do you remember the name of the blog? Did they cite any "evidence" or was it an opinion? Or is this something they do for their homebrew version of Nentir Vale?

People seems to relate the Aereth setting with the Points of Light (in fact, the "corebook" is called Points of Light). There are a lot of fansites that put Punjar in Nerath.

I guess you're right, and is fanstuff... I have to actually read one of those books, but by reading reviews and forum posts, it seems there is no actual connection with Punjar and Nerath. Just many fans doing that connection.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:12 am

Zeromaru X"People seems to relate the Aereth setting with the Points of Light (in fact, the "corebook" is called Points of Light). There are a lot of fansites that put Punjar in Nerath.[/quote]
I can't speak to the fansites, but I have Points of Light and Points of Light 2 from Goodman Games. The introduction to Points of Light says the following:

[quote="Points of Light wrote:
Points of Light is the default setting of the new fourth edition, a place where civilization exists in isolated outposts scattered throughout a dangerous wilderness. The vision of Points of Light is specific: Civilization does not consist of widespread nations and empires, but small city-states or groups of villages that have banded together for mutual support and protection. Between outposts lies only monster–haunted wilderness dotted with the ruins of a once glorious past and darkened by the ever-present shadow of the unknown. I was inspired when I read about Points of Light, and I found myself thinking: How far can I extend this concept?

Each of the four new lands presented in this product is designed to interpret the Points of Light concept in a different way. The people, monsters, and geographical features of each land provide a distinct flavor, and are designed to facilitate a certain type of campaign.

I searched through the books and didn't find a reference to Punjar or Aereth. Each book details four lands "are designed take place on the edge of the known campaign world," and appear to be intentionally generic. Even the 4e mechanics are only implied in the books, as they reference classes and levels that match 4e (e.g., the monster levels go up to 36 and are sometimes referred to as "solo" or "elite", but no other stats are provided).

Looking at a map of Punjar from Punjar, the Tarnished Jewel, I'm not even sure where it would be located in Nerath. I don't see any obvious spot where it would connect to the Nentir Vale. Perhaps fans have worked out a spot for it, but I suspect they either adjusted the Nerath map or they placed the Aereth area map containing Punjar off the edge of the Nerath map.

I hope this helps!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to Nentir Vale