Page 1 of 1

Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 am
by Zeromaru X
So, to "level up" the forum and resolve a question I have...

Reading a D&D blog, I learned about some third party products created by Goodman games that use the Nentir Vale/Nerath as their setting. They are based around the city of Punjar. I know there are a few races books (I guess they cover the dragonborn, tiefling and eladrin races) and some adventures.

While I do own every 4e book WotC released, I do not have those third party books, and I like to purchase them. My problem is that I do not know the names of those books. Is there a list of those products somewhere in the net? Thanks in advance. :P

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 am
by ripvanwormer
Here's their store: http://goodman-games.com/store/product- ... er-titles/ The 4e-compatible titles are labeled as such.

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:31 am
by Zeromaru X
Thanks. There are a lot of books based in Punjar... I guess I'm going to start with the Sellswords adventures.

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:51 pm
by Matrix Sorcica
Punjar is a city in Goodman Games's own setting Aereth. There's no connection to Nerath/Nentir Vale iirc.

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:29 pm
by Big Mac
Zeromaru X wrote:So, to "level up" the forum and resolve a question I have...
:lol:
Zeromaru X wrote:Reading a D&D blog, I learned about some third party products created by Goodman games that use the Nentir Vale/Nerath as their setting. They are based around the city of Punjar. I know there are a few races books (I guess they cover the dragonborn, tiefling and eladrin races) and some adventures.

While I do own every 4e book WotC released, I do not have those third party books, and I like to purchase them. My problem is that I do not know the names of those books. Is there a list of those products somewhere in the net? Thanks in advance. :P
That's a very interesting claim.

Do you remember the name of the blog? Did they cite any "evidence" or was it an opinion? Or is this something they do for their homebrew version of Nentir Vale?

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:31 pm
by Big Mac
Matrix Sorcica wrote:Punjar is a city in Goodman Games's own setting Aereth. There's no connection to Nerath/Nentir Vale iirc.
Thanks.

I wonder why that blogger thought it was. Is Aereth a setting built to have a Points of Light theme, or did it exist before 4th Edition?

EDIT: I just looked it up. Apparently it is the Dungeon Crawl Classics campaign setting. I wonder if those products started off fairly generic.

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 pm
by Zeromaru X
Big Mac wrote:That's a very interesting claim.

Do you remember the name of the blog? Did they cite any "evidence" or was it an opinion? Or is this something they do for their homebrew version of Nentir Vale?
People seems to relate the Aereth setting with the Points of Light (in fact, the "corebook" is called Points of Light). There are a lot of fansites that put Punjar in Nerath.

I guess you're right, and is fanstuff... I have to actually read one of those books, but by reading reviews and forum posts, it seems there is no actual connection with Punjar and Nerath. Just many fans doing that connection.

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:12 am
by Tim Baker
Zeromaru X wrote:People seems to relate the Aereth setting with the Points of Light (in fact, the "corebook" is called Points of Light). There are a lot of fansites that put Punjar in Nerath.
I can't speak to the fansites, but I have Points of Light and Points of Light 2 from Goodman Games. The introduction to Points of Light says the following:
Points of Light wrote:Points of Light is the default setting of the new fourth edition, a place where civilization exists in isolated outposts scattered throughout a dangerous wilderness. The vision of Points of Light is specific: Civilization does not consist of widespread nations and empires, but small city-states or groups of villages that have banded together for mutual support and protection. Between outposts lies only monster–haunted wilderness dotted with the ruins of a once glorious past and darkened by the ever-present shadow of the unknown. I was inspired when I read about Points of Light, and I found myself thinking: How far can I extend this concept?

Each of the four new lands presented in this product is designed to interpret the Points of Light concept in a different way. The people, monsters, and geographical features of each land provide a distinct flavor, and are designed to facilitate a certain type of campaign.
I searched through the books and didn't find a reference to Punjar or Aereth. Each book details four lands "are designed take place on the edge of the known campaign world," and appear to be intentionally generic. Even the 4e mechanics are only implied in the books, as they reference classes and levels that match 4e (e.g., the monster levels go up to 36 and are sometimes referred to as "solo" or "elite", but no other stats are provided).

Looking at a map of Punjar from Punjar, the Tarnished Jewel, I'm not even sure where it would be located in Nerath. I don't see any obvious spot where it would connect to the Nentir Vale. Perhaps fans have worked out a spot for it, but I suspect they either adjusted the Nerath map or they placed the Aereth area map containing Punjar off the edge of the Nerath map.

I hope this helps!

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:35 pm
by Big Mac
Zeromaru X wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 pm
Big Mac wrote:That's a very interesting claim.

Do you remember the name of the blog? Did they cite any "evidence" or was it an opinion? Or is this something they do for their homebrew version of Nentir Vale?
People seems to relate the Aereth setting with the Points of Light (in fact, the "corebook" is called Points of Light). There are a lot of fansites that put Punjar in Nerath.

I guess you're right, and is fanstuff... I have to actually read one of those books, but by reading reviews and forum posts, it seems there is no actual connection with Punjar and Nerath. Just many fans doing that connection.
Oh you mean this Points of Light! :cool:

That's by Robert (S) Conley. He has a Piazza account (robertsconley). He has also done a variant version of the Wilderlands (and also helps Judges Guild out with their mainstream version). He also has some amazing How to Build a Fantasy Sandbox tutorials. He is also really helpful, so if you are looking for non-canon ways to put Robert's stuff into a Nentir Vale campaign, I think he would probably give you some useful advice.

I didn't catch that Punjar was one of Robert's places before. Sorry.

I'm pretty sure that we already have a couple of Points of Light topics, but it might be a bit tricky to find them, as I expect that 4e WotC topics would flood the search results.

EDIT: Robert Conley's Points of Lights - anyone play? and [Planetology] Bat in the Attic "Sandbox" tutorials might help you.

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:43 pm
by Big Mac
Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:12 am
Zeromaru X wrote:People seems to relate the Aereth setting with the Points of Light (in fact, the "corebook" is called Points of Light). There are a lot of fansites that put Punjar in Nerath.
I can't speak to the fansites, but I have Points of Light and Points of Light 2 from Goodman Games. The introduction to Points of Light says the following:
Points of Light wrote:Points of Light is the default setting of the new fourth edition, a place where civilization exists in isolated outposts scattered throughout a dangerous wilderness. The vision of Points of Light is specific: Civilization does not consist of widespread nations and empires, but small city-states or groups of villages that have banded together for mutual support and protection. Between outposts lies only monster–haunted wilderness dotted with the ruins of a once glorious past and darkened by the ever-present shadow of the unknown. I was inspired when I read about Points of Light, and I found myself thinking: How far can I extend this concept?

Each of the four new lands presented in this product is designed to interpret the Points of Light concept in a different way. The people, monsters, and geographical features of each land provide a distinct flavor, and are designed to facilitate a certain type of campaign.
I searched through the books and didn't find a reference to Punjar or Aereth. Each book details four lands "are designed take place on the edge of the known campaign world," and appear to be intentionally generic. Even the 4e mechanics are only implied in the books, as they reference classes and levels that match 4e (e.g., the monster levels go up to 36 and are sometimes referred to as "solo" or "elite", but no other stats are provided).

Looking at a map of Punjar from Punjar, the Tarnished Jewel, I'm not even sure where it would be located in Nerath. I don't see any obvious spot where it would connect to the Nentir Vale. Perhaps fans have worked out a spot for it, but I suspect they either adjusted the Nerath map or they placed the Aereth area map containing Punjar off the edge of the Nerath map.

I hope this helps!
I heard that Blackmarsh is on the same world as Points of Light, but I'm not sure about Punjar's connection. And I'm not familiar with the name "Aereth". :?

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:46 pm
by robertsconley
Zeromaru X wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 am
So, to "level up" the forum and resolve a question I have...

Reading a D&D blog, I learned about some third party products created by Goodman games that use the Nentir Vale/Nerath as their setting. They are based around the city of Punjar. I know there are a few races books (I guess they cover the dragonborn, tiefling and eladrin races) and some adventures.

While I do own every 4e book WotC released, I do not have those third party books, and I like to purchase them. My problem is that I do not know the names of those books. Is there a list of those products somewhere in the net? Thanks in advance. :P
I am the author of both Goodman Games Point of Light products. They don't have a connection with the Nentir Vale setting of D&D 4th edition other than being setting where civilization is an island, i.e. a point of light, in surrounding darkness (whether it wilderness, war, etc).

Both Points of Light I and II use common elements (God Names, references to past empire) but are designed to be self contained. Blackmarsh is my own follow up to the series (I own the copyright on the material) and it is set to the North of Southlands in PoL I

The reason we chose Points of Lights is pure marketing. While it fit thematically with I wrote, it also a term that wasn't protected by Wizards of the Coast. Thus we were free to use it. Plus it helped I didn't need to use OGL for either PoL I and II as stats were very minimal if any.

After I get done with the Wilderlands/City State stuff my plan is to release a revised Wild North set to the north of Blackmarsh. As shown in this map.
http://batintheattic.blogspot.com/2014/ ... north.html

Image

Larger Version http://batintheattic.blogspot.com/2014/ ... north.html

Re: Punjar in the Nentir Vale

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:48 pm
by Zeromaru X
Thanks for the clarifications. I still think it would be a good idea to get these books.