Saruun Khel secrecy?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.

Saruun Khel secrecy?

Postby Jensenator » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:02 am

Can anybody tell me, how secret is the exitsence of Sarun Khel and the seven pillard hall in the Nentir Vale?
Jensenator
Goblin

Re: Saruun Khel secrecy?

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:27 am

Is somewhat secret, as that not everyone knows about them, but there is people who knows about them. Mainly because they have a branch in Restwell Keep (they use that branch to get rare stuff from the Chaos Scar; they are especially interested in Chaos Shards—fragments of the "meteor" that created the Chaos Scar), though it seems that only Lord Drysdale knows about the true nature of the mages. The rest of the inhabitants of the keep mistrust the mages, but don't know much about them (in the Encounters adventure, "Keep on the Borderlands", they are described just as a "mage's guildhouse").

The Azaer merchant tiefling family from Fallcrest also knows about them (they even sent one the youngest heirs, Noristo, to manage a branch of their house there), thought "Thunderspire Labyrinth" (the adventure) states that this branch of House Azaer is a secret one, so is unlikely that any other person in Fallcrest, beyond some learned individuals (Nimozaran the Green, Orest Naerumar, or Cats-eye) know about the mages or the Seven-Pillared Hall.

Bairwin Wildarson from Winterhaven also knows about them, and in fact this knowledge is his trade secret. That's why the guy has access to magic items and other rare stuff in a small village like Winterhaven. Another individual that may know about them in Winterhaven is Valthrun the Prescient, because the guy is likely the most important scholar of the Vale.

But for the rest of people of the Nentir Vale, nobody knows about the Seven-Pillared Hall or the mages. The mages even don't have a presence in Hammerfast, the major trade hub in the Vale, so its unlikely that there is knowledge about them in the cities beyond the Vale (such as Sarthel or the Barony of Therund, or whatever city you use in your campaigns).

Though, in "Thunderspire Labyrinth", Lord Padraig (the ruler of Winterhaven) knows about the duergar who live in the mountain, and Valthrun the Prescient knows about the minotaur ruins, so I guess this knowledge (that there are minotaur ruins in the mountain and duergar living there) is common enough.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Is somewhat secret, as that not everyone knows about them, but there is people who knows about them. Mainly because they have a branch in Restwell Keep (they use that branch to get rare stuff from the Chaos Scar; they are especially interested in Chaos Shards—fragments of the "meteor" that created the Chaos Scar), though it seems that only Lord Drysdale knows about the true nature of the mages. The rest of the inhabitants of the keep mistrust the mages, but don't know much about them (in the Encounters adventure, "Keep on the Borderlands", they are described just as a "mage's guildhouse").

Zeromaru X, I had no doubt you'd know the answer to this. :D
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Jensenator » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:49 am

Thank you Zeromaru X for the information. I wasn't sure if it was widly known or not. One of my players, a Warlock of Balathmagog (actually Yog-Sothoth from the Lovecraft stories), asked me where the geratest concentration of mages were.
Jensenator
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:07 pm

This city was secret enough that I had not heard of it. ;-)

Are there maps of it in H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Jensenator » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Big Mac wrote:This city was secret enough that I had not heard of it. ;-)

Are there maps of it in H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth?

:lol: That's exactly why I asked about it, that’s the next adventure we will play, after the group dealt with Kalarel.
Jensenator
Goblin

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:15 pm

Yeah, Thunderspire Labyrith have a map of the city and of the Labyrinth (the ruins of a subterranean minotaur city under Thunderspire Mountain).
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Return to Nentir Vale