4E: Analogue for Sentinel Marshals in Nentir Vale?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
darkbard
Goblin

4E: Analogue for Sentinel Marshals in Nentir Vale?

Post by darkbard » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:25 pm

A character in my campaign wishes to play a Ranger with the Sentinel Marshal theme (from Eberron). The mechanics are more important to us than the specifics of the fluff. Is there a preexisting organization, though, in the Nentir Vale that is respected amongst the populace as something akin to the Texas Rangers: wilderness keepers of order, righters of wrongs, defenders of the weak, slayers of monsters?

Thanks!

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: 4E: Analogue for Sentinel Marshals in Nentir Vale?

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:26 pm

The Last Legion, nowadays the only remaining military unit from old Nerath, can fit pretty well the concept of the Sentinel Marshal. Notice that, unlike the Marshals, that are sworn to House Deneir, the Last Legion is a private group instead of one backed by some form of government, but that is something common in the current Nentir Vale world, as there are no encompassing governments ruling the world, besides the small rulers of a given city or barony. The Last Legion, however, clings to the ideals of Nerath, and try to keep the world safe from the darkness of the coming dark age.

You can learn more about them in the article "Guilds & Groups: The Last Legion", in Dragon 396.

darkbard
Goblin

Post by darkbard » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Our resident sage to the rescue! Zero, that's damned near perfect. Now, while I have your attention, perhaps you can answer an unrelated question for me: who is Zutwa of vestige pact fame?

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Unrelated question and answer split into a separate topic, called Who is Zutwa of vestige pact fame? to make it easier for other Nentir Vale fans to find it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:20 am

darkbard wrote:A character in my campaign wishes to play a Ranger with the Sentinel Marshal theme (from Eberron). The mechanics are more important to us than the specifics of the fluff. Is there a preexisting organization, though, in the Nentir Vale that is respected amongst the populace as something akin to the Texas Rangers: wilderness keepers of order, righters of wrongs, defenders of the weak, slayers of monsters?

Thanks!
Welcome to The Piazza Darkbard. (Or rather thanks for delurking, as you have been here a while.)

You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic and tell people a little bit about yourself and the sort of settings and rules you like to talk about.

I'd never noticed the Sentinel Marshals, so thanks for bringing this up. It looks like there is some 3e material for these guys.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 am

Zeromaru X wrote:The Last Legion, nowadays the only remaining military unit from old Nerath, can fit pretty well the concept of the Sentinel Marshal. Notice that, unlike the Marshals, that are sworn to House Deneir, the Last Legion is a private group instead of one backed by some form of government, but that is something common in the current Nentir Vale world, as there are no encompassing governments ruling the world, besides the small rulers of a given city or barony. The Last Legion, however, clings to the ideals of Nerath, and try to keep the world safe from the darkness of the coming dark age.

You can learn more about them in the article "Guilds & Groups: The Last Legion", in Dragon 396.
The Last Legion sure sounds like a good thing to help tie together a Nentir Vale campaign. I can imagine that a Nentir Vale GM could have them turn up anywhere across Nerath and provide a bit of continuity. But with them being a private group, they could also be made to be stretched thin enough that the players couldn't just have their PCs click their fingers to have the Last Legion arrive.

Is Dragon 396 the only source material for this unit...or is it the best source?

Do you think that raiding and rebooting everything that can be found for the Sentinel Marshals, from Eberron, would help add more meat to the bones of the Last Legion?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:39 am

Yes, that issue is its only source.

You should have to edit a few things, because, as I say before, the Last Legion doesn't answer to a government. So, that means that they put a price to their services, instead of doing something because its the law. But, for the very least, the material that there is about the Marshals in 4e can fit the Last Legion well with a few tweaks.

Adapting the 3e material could take a lot of work, on the other hand, as the themes of the Legion are more fit to a lawless world, like the Nentir Vale, instead of the highly bureaucratic Eberron

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Yes, that issue is its only source.

You should have to edit a few things, because, as I say before, the Last Legion doesn't answer to a government. So, that means that they put a price to their services, instead of doing something because its the law. But, for the very least, the material that there is about the Marshals in 4e can fit the Last Legion well with a few tweaks.

Adapting the 3e material could take a lot of work, on the other hand, as the themes of the Legion are more fit to a lawless world, like the Nentir Vale, instead of the highly bureaucratic Eberron
I would be more likely to be using the Last Legion with 3rd Edition, so I was more wondering if I could do a parallel thing to Darkbard and repurpose the 3e Eberron stuff for the Sentinel Marshals for the Legion.

I've not found the exact pages yet (it looks like they are in both Eberron Campaign Setting and Dragonmarked. I'm guessing there won't be any sort of fancy specialst theme in the 3e books and I'm more likely to just have information about the organisation. But that's probably going to be easier to adapt, if that's the case.

If I find the sections, I'll drop the details here, in case Darkbard wants to see if any of the 3e stuff is useful for a 4e game.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Well, the article suggest that the best approach to adapt the Last Legion to Eberron is to make them survivors of Cyre, and that they were not in their country when the Mourning happened (that's why they survived). Now, the would have the same lore, replacing the ideals of Nerath with those of Cyre.

Return to “Nentir Vale”