RuneQuest Runes and Nentir Vale

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

RuneQuest Runes and Nentir Vale

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:08 pm

It seems that whether the 3rd D&D movie has much to do with the Nentir Vale Setting, but I saw somewhere that the runes and symbols used for magic in the movie were the runes from RuneQuest/Glorantha mixed with Zodiac symbols. Would you use these in your Nentir Vale Campaign?

RuneQuest Runes:

Zodiac Symbols

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: RuneQuest Runes and Nentir Vale

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:17 pm

4e had a Runepriest class, but I don't remember whether PHB3 detailed the runes.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:42 am

As Tim said, there are no specif designs for the runes in by the 4e Runepriest.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:54 pm

Havard wrote:It seems that whether the 3rd D&D movie has much to do with the Nentir Vale Setting, but I saw somewhere that the runes and symbols used for magic in the movie were the runes from RuneQuest/Glorantha mixed with Zodiac symbols. Would you use these in your Nentir Vale Campaign?
Really? I wonder why they would use RuneQuest runes instead of public domain runes from history (or something that Wizards of the Coast actually own).

Is there a canon link between the D&D movie and Nentir Vale?

Is there anything in the movie that could be reverse-engineered to show what runes do?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Tim Baker wrote:4e had a Runepriest class, but I don't remember whether PHB3 detailed the runes.
...and...
Zeromaru X wrote:As Tim said, there are no specif designs for the runes in by the 4e Runepriest.
JRR Tolkien used to put runes onto artwork. (I think that 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms used to do that too.)

Is there any 4e artwork that has symbols on that might be Runepriest runes?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm

There are, but they looks like dwarven letters (using the dwarven font they released for D&D languages in 4e)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:It seems that whether the 3rd D&D movie has much to do with the Nentir Vale Setting, but I saw somewhere that the runes and symbols used for magic in the movie were the runes from RuneQuest/Glorantha mixed with Zodiac symbols. Would you use these in your Nentir Vale Campaign?
Really? I wonder why they would use RuneQuest runes instead of public domain runes from history (or something that Wizards of the Coast actually own).

Is there a canon link between the D&D movie and Nentir Vale?
The 3rd D&D Movie is set in a place called Karkoth which appears on the Nerath map. Also, many of the things in the movie are taken from the 4E version of the Book of Vile Darkness. However, Zeromaru says there are other things that don't quite fit with the Nentir Vale setting so I guess it is somewhat disappointing.
Is there anything in the movie that could be reverse-engineered to show what runes do?
Maybe. I would have to view the movie again. Maybe someone else has seen it more recently?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Nentir Vale”