Tieflings in Nentir Vale

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Tieflings in Nentir Vale

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:49 am

The Dungeon Talk podcast (the official D&D podcast from WotC) discusses the origins of Tieflings starting at 9:22. While it starts with the 2nd Edition era, there are a few minutes of discussion about how Nentir Vale was the first setting where Tieflings became a race with a standardized look. I didn't realize that the Forgotten Realms novels explained how tieflings were transformed from the 2e versions to the 4e versions on Faerun.

Since I enjoyed the portion of the discussion that talked about Nentir Vale, I'm posting in that forum -- there doesn't seem to be a single forum that perfectly fits a discussion of this nature.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Tieflings in Nentir Vale

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:11 pm

I guess you could have posted it in the "Squishy bits" forum. :P
Tim Baker wrote:I didn't realize that the Forgotten Realms novels explained how tieflings were transformed from the 2e versions to the 4e versions on Faerun.
Yeah, in the "Brimstone Angels" saga, Erin Evans deals with this, exporting the tale of Asmodeus as the father of the race in the Forgotten Realms. In the Realms, Asmodeus is the "father", as in he corrupted a lot of tiefling bloodlines to have its own bloodline, in his bid to become a god (by being a racial god). The plan failed, tho, and ultimately Asmodeus ascended to godhood by other means (eating Azuth). That is the Realms version of the stuff.

In the Vale, the tieflings of that world are the "children" of Asmodeus in a more strict sense, thanks to the pacts made with the rulers of Bael Turath. So, is basically the same idea as in the Realms, but instead of corrupting a bunch of tiefling bloodlines to have his own race, in this world Asmodeus outright created its own bloodline from the start. So basically, the 4e tieflings are the Asmodean bloodline.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:32 am

Have you read the Erin Evans books? If so, would you recommend them?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:55 am

If you're interested in the fate of Cormyr and the dragonborn and tiefling races in the Realms, as well as political intrigue (including the politics of the Nine Hells) then yeah, I cannot recommend enough her "Brimstone Angels" series. Her narrative is fluid and fresh, and the characters are interesting and have unique points of view. I don't want to start a war here, but her novels made me interested in the Realms as a setting for novels, an interest that I had lost with certain dark elf's novels...

Return to “Nentir Vale”