13th Age and Nentir Vale

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

13th Age and Nentir Vale

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:57 am

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from the History of the Nentir Vale topic.
DMSamuel wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:46 pm
I know it isn't necessarily a popular opinion, but I really liked 4e D&D and I have very fond memories of the 4 year campaign I ran for my group, so re-reading these 4e books is bringing back lots of good memories.
Thankfully, folks on the Piazza tend to be very easygoing when it comes to which edition you like to play -- opinions might be stated, but I haven't seen any edition warring. D&D 4e is the game that brought me back to tabletop RPGs after having spent 17 years away from the hobby. I absolutely have fond memories from the campaigns I played in and later ran. So I completely relate to your statement about good memories. Eventually, I moved to the next D&D-esque system that Rob Heinsoo designed, 13th Age. However, the latest adventure I'm playing in is set in the Nentir Vale, using the characters we played in 4e, but re-imagined as 13th Age characters. So even though we're using a different system, we still love the setting.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

DMSamuel
Hobgoblin

Re: 13th Age and Nentir Vale

Post by DMSamuel » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 am

Oh yeah - 13th Age is a great game. I always felt that the framing of the Icons in 13th Age could lead to a variety of different types of campaign. In other words, the way a GM sets up the Icons says a lot about the type of game that is going to be played. I can easily see a 13th Age port of the Nentir Vale - there are so many ways you can incorporate the Icons.

The 13 Icons as Influencers:
1) The Raven Queen
2) Commander of the Iron Circle
3) Orcus
4) Ancient Ruler of Bael Turath
5) Ancient Ruler of Arkhosia
6) A Feywild Noble
7) A Shadowfell Noble
8) Magroth
9) King Elidyr
10) Moradin
11) Erathis
12) Torog
13) Corellon

Or you could structure the Icons more locally/location based:
1) Fallcrest
2) House Azaer
3) Wolf Runners
4) Mages of Saruun
5) Winterhaven
6) Thunderspire
7) Hammerfast
8) Harkenwold
9) Witchlight Fens
10) Gardmore Abbey
11) Nenlast
12) Winterbole
13) Restwell Keep

Or you could Make the Icons the major threats in the Vale:
1) Iron Circle
2) Any of the Dragons the live in the area (Bitterstrike, Vestapalk, Calastryx, Shadowmire)
3) Raven Roost Bandits
4) Wolf runners
5) Lizardfolk of the Witchlight
6) The Gray Company
7) Xander Gravelstoke
8) Fell Court
9) Dythan's Legion
10) Daggerburg Goblins
11) Bloodspear Orc Clan
12) Blackfang Gnolls
13) Abyssal Plague / Voidharrow
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:34 am

Exactly! The campaign I'm playing in has a set of icons very similar to your first list. :)

It's great to meet another 13th Age fan on the Piazza. Feel free to check out other 13th Age related threads I've created.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm not very knowledgeable about Nentir Vale. How does the history break down as the past 12 Ages?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:03 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:23 pm
I'm not very knowledgeable about Nentir Vale. How does the history break down as the past 12 Ages?
While I've run campaigns in the Nentir Vale, I didn't delve too deeply into its lore. What remains of civilization in the Nentir Vale has been built on top of the ruins of ancient civilizations or are the last vestiges of the Nerath Empire, which fell around 100 years prior to the default time period in the setting. The conflict between the ancient dragonborn and tiefling civilizations feature prominently. The wars between the orcs and the dwarves do, too. I remember Dunegon articles that started expanding outside of the Vale itself and covering civilizations ravaged by undead to the east and areas subjugated by the Iron Circle to the south. This is all based on my memory, so it may be imperfect, but the point is that there's a good deal of history in Nentir Vale, and it's often referenced in its adventures, Dungeon articles, and supplements.

I'm not sure if that answered your question, however. If you're asking how it would be possible to divide the Nentir Vale's history into 12 ages, it could probably be done, even if the number 12 was a bit arbitrary. But I'm not sure it would be necessary. There's no need for a setting to have 13 ages to use 13th Age (the game system) to run a game in the setting. It could be a fun exercise, though.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:53 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:03 am
I'm not sure if that answered your question, however. If you're asking how it would be possible to divide the Nentir Vale's history into 12 ages, it could probably be done, even if the number 12 was a bit arbitrary. But I'm not sure it would be necessary. There's no need for a setting to have 13 ages to use 13th Age (the game system) to run a game in the setting. It could be a fun exercise, though.
Thanks, Tim. I totally understand that a game doesn't need 12 previous ages to use 13th Age...I was just curious to see how Nentir Vale history was possibly broken up into 12 ages.

Is there any online resources that I can peruse to get a glimpse of the history of Nentir Vale without having to buy the NV book?

DMSamuel
Hobgoblin

Post by DMSamuel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:53 am
Is there any online resources that I can peruse to get a glimpse of the history of Nentir Vale without having to buy the NV book?
There is a thread on this very site that lays out the history in great detail: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=16463
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:51 pm

DMSamuel wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:33 pm
There is a thread on this very site that lays out the history in great detail: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=16463
Thanks!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:08 am

DMSamuel wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:33 pm
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:53 am
I was going to say the same thing. Zeromaru X is a fantastic resource when it comes to Nentir Vale knowledge! His history is quite in-depth given the relatively short run of 4e/Nentir Vale books.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:29 pm

And is due to a next update soon (as my D&D group died, I have had time to read a lot of the 4e materials I had never read before).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:29 pm
And is due to a next update soon (as my D&D group died, I have had time to read a lot of the 4e materials I had never read before).
I'm sorry to hear that your D&D group died. I hope you can find a new one soon.

Return to “Nentir Vale”