Hunter Spider drow's motivation for slavery?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
darkbard
Goblin

Hunter Spider drow's motivation for slavery?

Post by darkbard » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 pm

The scenario--a PC has been granted a boon from her goddess Sehanine (avowed enemy of Lolth) in return for a geas: put an end to the abduction and enforced slavery of wood elves a band of surface drow, some two dozen miscreants, cut off from their Underdark home for two years, have been enacting in the northern sections of the Harken Forest.

My questions--what vile reason have the drow for abducting and enslaving the wood elves? What devious complications might a GM interpose between the PCs and their goal?

Note: this is, essentially, a side quest in between the PCs' current situation and their long(er) term goals. The scenario should encompass a level or two of adventuring, potentially with longterm implications that may come into play after the PCs resume their other goals.

Note the Second: the PC in question is a drow Cleric of Sehanine, an apostate exiled from her home by the same event that cut off the surface drow from the Underdark, and has recently converted to the faith with a longterm goal of returning to her home city and converting the drow there to the worship of Sehanine.

PS: The leader of the surface drow is a werespider!

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Hunter Spider drow's motivation for slavery?

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Another reason beyond the fact that the wood elves are surface elves, and the drow are drow, which makes this affair one of racial and religious hatred?

I guess, the fact that the Hunter Spiders believe there is another route to the Underdark in Harken Forest and they are searching for it. But they are drow. Not only that, they are drow of House Despana! They are not going to sully themselves doing stuff like excavate some dirty ruins. That's what slaves are there for. Much better is such slaves are those bastard surface, Corellon-kissing elves.
darkbard wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 pm
PS: The leader of the surface drow is a werespider!
Good old Ti'irta. I'm actually fond of her.

darkbard
Goblin

Post by darkbard » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Slaves for excavating ruins in search of an Underdark entrance is a fine idea!

The enmity between the groups is obvious; it's the slavery aspect that I am concerned with.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:15 pm

Drow enslave anyone that is beneath them (that is literally every other non-drow person in the multiverse). Is part of their culture.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:15 pm
Drow enslave anyone that is beneath them (that is literally every other non-drow person in the multiverse). Is part of their culture.
That's true, but if you want to have drow going out of their way to specifically capture wood elves (maybe they are seen to let other potential slaves go) perhaps the actual race could be relevant.

How about having a group of Lolth cultists working with the werespider to try to create a way to transform elves into something similar to driders.

They could be capturing wood elves for experiments and working on a ritual that will alter the lycantropy into a different form.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

darkbard
Goblin

Post by darkbard » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 pm
How about having a group of Lolth cultists working with the werespider to try to create a way to transform elves into something similar to driders.

They could be capturing wood elves for experiments and working on a ritual that will alter the lycantropy into a different form.
That's pretty good, actually!

darkbard
Goblin

Post by darkbard » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:19 pm
Not only that, they are drow of House Despana!
Could you say more about this, Zeromaru? Where is there more information about House Despana?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:03 am

darkbard wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:46 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 pm

That's pretty good, actually!
Thanks.

I don't know how well that idea would fit in with the vibes of Nentir Vale...and I don't know how well it would fit in with your own campaign aims, but I thought it might be a way you could have an "evil plan™" that is not fully implimented (so that the PCs can do something about it).

Are you planning to (eventually) use Sehanine the way that Forgotten Realms uses Eilistraee? I'm guessing that the Points of Light equivalent to a good deity for drow would be much much more rare.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 am

darkbard wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 pm
Zeromaru X wrote:
Could you say more about this, Zeromaru? Where is there more information about House Despana?
I'd be interested to know that too.

I think House Despana was originally a Greyhaw thing. The name came up when I was doing some research into how House Kilsek works in the Sundered Empire/Chainmail setting.

From what Ripvanwormer said to me, in that topic, House Despana might also feature in the Planescape campaign setting. And there could be a connection to The Priestess Wars, the Planescape adventure Lost Gods and the drow deity Kiaransalee...but I don't know how any of that Greyhawk/Planescape canon might leak over into Nentir Vale and Nerath. :?

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:19 am

darkbard wrote:
Zeromaru X wrote:
4e Underdark sourcebook has information about House Despana in the section about the city of Erelhei-Cinlu.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 am
darkbard wrote:
Zeromaru X wrote:
I'd be interested to know that too.

I think House Despana was originally a Greyhaw thing. The name came up when I was doing some research into how House Kilsek works in the Sundered Empire/Chainmail setting.

From what Ripvanwormer said to me, in that topic, House Despana might also feature in the Planescape campaign setting. And there could be a connection to The Priestess Wars, the Planescape adventure Lost Gods and the drow deity Kiaransalee...but I don't know how any of that Greyhawk/Planescape canon might leak over into Nentir Vale and Nerath. :?
House Despana became part of Nentir Vale's canon alongside the rest of Erelhei-Cinlu with 4e Underdark sourcebook. The Hunter Spiders are said to be members of House Despana in Threats to the Nentir Vale.

I don't know how their lore from Nentir Vale’s sources fits with the Greyhawk sources however. I not knowledgeable in Greyhawk-fu. ;)

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:48 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:03 am
Are you planning to (eventually) use Sehanine the way that Forgotten Realms uses Eilistraee? I'm guessing that the Points of Light equivalent to a good deity for drow would be much much more rare.
There is a Nentir Vale alternative. Nusemnee is the goddess of redemption. She is not an specific drow goddess, and canonically she is currently dead, but you can say she is not dead in your campaign. Or you can revive her (there is that possibility in canon). She is described in Dragon 390.

Or you can import Eilistraee if you want. One of Nentir Vale's selling points is that is a modular setting.

Return to “Nentir Vale”