Recap of Heroes of the Vale Episode 4

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Recap of Heroes of the Vale Episode 4

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:57 am

Here's the recap of Episode 4 of the D&D actual play series Heroes of the Vale.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Recap of Heroes of the Vale Episode 4

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:33 pm

I haven't been watching the series, so I have to ask. Do you like the change between Todd and Mearls? Are they taking advantage of the Nentir Vale as a setting, or are they just playing a generic campaign in the Nentir Vale? Or it's too soon to determine that yet?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:09 am

I watched Episode 4 last night, so I've now watched two episodes with Mearls and two episodes with Kenreck as DM. I think both do a good job. I enjoy Kenreck's flumph impersonations and character voices. I'm a bit concerned that he's taking the story in a very different direction. To some degree, that's natural when you switch DMs one adventure into a campaign, but if this is more than a side-trek, he's really taken the story off the rails.

Here's a spoilery explanation of what I mean. He's introduced a PC from Faerun as well as what appears to be a new Faerunian goddess. He's destroyed Fallcrest. And at the end of Episode 4, the characters have gone through a planar portal and are now on some other world where gnomes drive cities on enormous tank treads (like the book/movie Mortal Engines) and grimlocks serve illithids in capturing beings from other worlds to become food.

If all of this ties back into Nentir Vale lore at some point (soon), I'll be glad to see it. However, I get the feeling this is quickly turning into Kenreck's homebrew world. It's interesting as something to play in the background while I work, but it doesn't feel like the Nentir Vale.

DMSamuel
Hobgoblin

Post by DMSamuel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:48 am

Yeah, that sounds like the 'Not Nentir Vale' Podcast. LOL.

Well, best of luck to them, I'm sure they are having a fun time, but I was really hoping to see the Nentir Vale shine.
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:27 am

That's all I needed to know. Thanks Tim. It's no surprise, Kenreck is a big FR fan, I don't blame him. I did the same for my campaign (though back in the day it was more of a necessity, as the Nentir Vale wasn't as development as it was in 4e final days). I didn't expected for him to introduce FR stuff so soon, though.
DMSamuel wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:48 am
Well, best of luck to them, I'm sure they are having a fun time, but I was really hoping to see the Nentir Vale shine.
I guess that the opportunity for the Vale to shine (even in a different way that I won't have liked) left the campaign with Mearls.

DMSamuel
Hobgoblin

Post by DMSamuel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:27 am
I guess that the opportunity for the Vale to shine (even in a different way that I won't have liked) left the campaign with Mearls.
Looks like it - oh well. For a moment I had a hope that we would see some cool Nentir Vale stuff.
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Ugh, that is disappointing.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Nentir Vale”