Threats to the Nentir Vale: Anyone Have It?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
dfryer36
White Dragon

Threats to the Nentir Vale: Anyone Have It?

Post by dfryer36 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:12 pm

I am wondering if anyone has bought this set yet and if it is worth buying.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Threats to the Nentir Vale: Anyone Have It?

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 pm

I have it, and I've got to say that it's one of the better monster books I've seen in ages!

Not only cool new monsters, but threats like unique dragons and evil groups.

The only thing I wish is that there was a box to store the tokens in. But otherwise, it's a top-notch monster book. :D
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:25 pm

I have it as well, I think it is worth the buy, but then we know that I am probably biased.

some new to 4e monsters, and quite a few organizations written up, quite a bit of fluff that people that were asking for.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:37 am

How portable are the organizations, i.e. how tied to the locale are they?

(I'm always fond of finding new organizations to get involved -- or at least inspire things I create specific to my own game...)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Bonetti wrote:How portable are the organizations, i.e. how tied to the locale are they?

(I'm always fond of finding new organizations to get involved -- or at least inspire things I create specific to my own game...)

The nentir vale is mentioned in their background, but you could set them anywhere.

But then again no matter the setting or edition I thought you usually could take most organizations and move them to another setting no problem.

as an example from threats to the nentir vale there are the winter witches. you probably couldn't take the winter witches to a desert setting, but you could take them to any setting that has a cold area.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Sometimes, organizations are fairly tied to their source material (cf. the Earthen Ring and Cenarion Circle, or the Defias Brotherhood, or the Steamwheedle Cartel, all from Warcraft). With a fair amount of work, the backstories could be ported[1]. I guess my question is more along the lines of: can it be done easily, or is it a fair amount of work, and are the ideas behind the organizations interesting enough to be useful to someone not playing in Nentir Vale?

[1] It's tempting to do a variation on the Defias background (stiffing the construction workers results in backlash) in a long-running game that features a war in a populated area that devastates a city. Specifically, if/when there's a nation-wide storyline in my Darokin game, I might do something similar with Athenos or Tenobar, either of which are sufficiently independent in my version of the country to have it work out. It's still a huge re-work.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:27 pm

I would say these would be done fairly easily.
I can go home tonight and count the number of organizations.
Even the tiefling organization can be ported, it is just "marcos ambrose" (i want to say that is his name, but not sure) created a tiefling only society that is trying to take over fallcrest and nentir vale. and may want to work with Iron ring.

All fluff is pretty generic in the sense that there is nothing that wouldn't prevent you from moving to a different setting. All you really have to do is change names for most of the stuff and it is ported into your favorite setting. Nothing as tough as you describe for Wow or some Darksun flavor items.

All of the 4E nentir vale stuff has been pretty easily moved, and I think that was the WotC plan,

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Cool, thanks for the info :-)

Although I found the Shadowfell box to be plenty useful (well, the books, anyway), I've been a bit leery of the other recent releases.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Bonetti wrote:Cool, thanks for the info :-)

Although I found the Shadowfell box to be plenty useful (well, the books, anyway), I've been a bit leery of the other recent releases.

This seems to be one of there better releases as far as fluff.

I can go home tonight and compile some numbers for you like pages of fluff and number of organizations etc.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:35 am

BotWizo wrote:I can go home tonight and compile some numbers for you like pages of fluff and number of organizations etc.
That would be cool. I'd be interesting in seeing said info.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
BotWizo wrote:I can go home tonight and compile some numbers for you like pages of fluff and number of organizations etc.
That would be cool. I'd be interesting in seeing said info.
Ditto
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:23 pm

I haven't had time to do numbers, but I didn't want you to think I forgot about this. I will be busy for another week or so.

off hand I would say the book is 1/2 or more fluff, and half or less stat blocks.

All of the fluff can be moved to your favorite campaign no problem.
of the sections most of the book is organizations or characters with fluff and stats that go with the nentir vale.
The rest (4-7 monsters/sections) are monsters that are just generic monsters, with no fluff linking them anywhere. they have fluff, but they could have been in a monster manual just as likely as in this book.
some of these are boggle, plague demons, peryton, vampire head (can't remeber the name now I am blanking) and 2-3 others.

the characters and organizations that are presented are interesting, and not really any new monsters. They consist of a dragonborne legion, a tiefling society, a couple of bandit groups, some barbarians, dragons, witches, gnolls, goblins, orcs, a magic-user group and some others.
All of them can easily be moved, and would be interesting in any setting.

Here is my only complaint, and it is with WotC strategy and not the book, fluff, crunch, authors, artists, etc.
This should have been one of the first books out.
If you started playing 4E from the start you have been in the vale a while, already interacted with some of the groups in the book, and possibly destroyed the group. They were careful in not contradicting earlier sources and leaving characters in other sources out of the book, but mentioning their place in the organization that was described in an early book, like say the DMG.
It would have made DMs lives easier, had it been out earlier.

my above side is not a rant, but it seems there wasn't much thought to the timing of the threats book.
interestingly the way WotC did many of the known existing organizations, is that it probably is similar to what you as a DM already did if your players had to interact with a group, say the raven roost bandits before the threats book came out.

If you are just starting out in the vale this is a great book, if you have been playing in the vale a while this is a solid good book.
In my personnal campaign the players wiped out 3 of the organizations already, and are moving on to another. This campaign is interesting because the players have focused on making the vale safe and have decided they will not leave the vale for larger picture things until fallcrest and the vale are safe/safer.

Cool ideas that I didn't have at all before the book, were the barbarians in the north, the frost witches, dragonborne legion, somewhat the gnolls, the 3 undead groups and a few others that I missed.

This book also makes you feel like there should be other gazs or books coming out that should cover the temple of yellow skulls, and some other areas of interest.

Sorry this is not the number break down I was thinking of doing, but you may find this more useful, I can do the numbers in a few weeks.

Have a great day!

Return to “Nentir Vale”