Demographics of Nentir Vale

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Demographics of Nentir Vale

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:38 pm

A blogger called andyslack has done some research into the number of poeple in the Nentir Vale, called Demographics of Nentir Vale.

Surf over and have a read and see if you agree with his conclusion that 90% of the population of Nentir Vale was wiped out a few hundred years ago.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Re: Demographics of Nentir Vale

Post by dfryer36 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:08 pm

The Bloodspear War would certainly have been a devastating event on the scale described, although I find the 90% number to be quite high. All the source that I have read have said that the Nentir Vale is part of an area that was always sparsely populated. However, I could see nearly 50% of the population being killed during the Bloodspear War judging by how much of Fallcrest is still in ruins almost 50 years after it's end..
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm curious as to where he got his baseline number of 32,000 people. To my understanding, 10% urban populations would be more standard, although most of the population should cluster in small farming villages, monasteries, and fortified manors. Lone farmsteads is more an American tradition of the Old West, where there was nobody else around (and certainly no threats like humanoids and monsters! ;) ). Either the population figure is too high (since most of the people would live in the three listed villages) or the valley is missing a LOT of villages (usually no more distant than a half-day's walk from one another).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Paladyn
Gnoll

Post by Paladyn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:53 am

I work on my take on demographics of Nentir Vale. What I am looking for, is information on Nenlast. Is there oficcial "Nenlast at glance" sidebar, do we have an official information about it?

BotWizo
Fire Giant

Post by BotWizo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Palladine wrote:I work on my take on demographics of Nentir Vale. What I am looking for, is information on Nenlast. Is there oficcial "Nenlast at glance" sidebar, do we have an official information about it?
Not unless there is a Nenlast writeup in the conquest of nerath board game, I am not aware of another source.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Paladyn
Gnoll

Post by Paladyn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:57 pm

I've found one on Cartographer's guilde, but it seems it's non-canon, home made write-up.

Paladyn
Gnoll

Post by Paladyn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 pm

First of all, please forgive me doubleposting.

I'm preparing to sandbox game set in Nentir Vale. Depending on outcome of recently run "March of the Phantom Brigade" there may be some changes, but I have compiled list of Dales settlements. Please find the link below.

Nentir Vale demography part one

What surprise me most, I can nowhere find how many residents Hammerfast has. Next step is to assess how many people live in Nentir Vale.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Cool work, Palladine :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Palladine wrote: What surprise me most, I can nowhere find how many residents Hammerfast has. Next step is to assess how many people live in Nentir Vale.
According to the D&D Essentials Dungeon Master Book, Hammerfast has a population of 12,000 and that is mostly dwarves.
David Fryer

Paladyn
Gnoll

Post by Paladyn » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks. This rises number of pweople living in Nerntir Vale, as I take cities' inhabitants as base number to state how many of them is living in the Vale.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:59 pm

dfryer36 wrote:
Palladine wrote: What surprise me most, I can nowhere find how many residents Hammerfast has. Next step is to assess how many people live in Nentir Vale.
According to the D&D Essentials Dungeon Master Book, Hammerfast has a population of 12,000 and that is mostly dwarves.
Surely there must also be a lot of detail about the population in the Hammerfast product. :?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:16 am

I'm sure there is, but I don't have that one handy. :P
David Fryer

Paladyn
Gnoll

Post by Paladyn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:24 pm

On the Contrary, while teher is a great deal of information, there is no "Hammerfast at g;ance section", which makes things difficult.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 am

Palladine wrote:On the Contrary, while teher is a great deal of information, there is no "Hammerfast at g;ance section", which makes things difficult.
Strange. That would seem to be an ommission. Maybe they put something out on the DDI side. :?

Paladyn
Gnoll

Post by Paladyn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Palladine wrote:On the Contrary, while teher is a great deal of information, there is no "Hammerfast at g;ance section", which makes things difficult.
Strange. That would seem to be an ommission. Maybe they put something out on the DDI side. :?
Actually I think it is an omission. Nevertheless it is an excellent guidebook. Highly recommended.

Return to “Nentir Vale”