What will 5E mean for the Nentir Vale?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

What will 5E mean for the Nentir Vale?

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Will this setting become abandoned with the new edition or will it be carried over? What do you think? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Paladyn
Gnoll

Re: What will 5E mean for the Nentir Vale?

Post by Paladyn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:09 pm

There is fat chance that Nentir Vale will be left behind, as Forgotten Realms jump into place of default setting. At least Mike Mearls said so in one of first interviews.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:34 am

Palladine wrote:There is fat chance that Nentir Vale will be left behind, as Forgotten Realms jump into place of default setting. At least Mike Mearls said so in one of first interviews.
Hmm. I wonder if they will try to do the same sort of thing that they did with 3e's "Greyhawk-lite".

If so, I think you would be right.

I think that Nentir Vale has potential, but I think that WotC's "unifying the editions" talk, looks like they are aiming at classic D&D and AD&D as well as 3e. It is possible that they may try to disown 4e, in some sort of attempt to "join the opposition" and then sell 5e as some sort of "ultimate universal retro-clone".

We have already seen some fairly high-up people booted out and I think it is possible that the experts that brought us Nentir Vale could be swept away in a purge.

I also think that old school (2e or classic) campaign settings might be the carrots dangled in front of the noses of grognoids. Although I am a non-4e fan that is interested in Nentir Vale, I think that some pre-4e fans are ignoring it "just because it is 4e" and that WotC may assume that most D&D fans are shunning Nentir Vale.

I think that Nentir Vale has a bit of a PR problem. IMO, it needs someone to be a champion for it to survive.

WotC don't even bother to have a Nentir Vale forum on their own website. I can't think why*. We seem to be the world's leading Nentir Vale forum, and that is not really a big boast yet, as the community is still getting off the ground and growing. :?

* = Mind you, WotC don't seem to have ever bothered to make a Ghostwalk forum. :|
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 am

Big Mac wrote:
Palladine wrote:There is fat chance that Nentir Vale will be left behind, as Forgotten Realms jump into place of default setting. At least Mike Mearls said so in one of first interviews.
Hmm. I wonder if they will try to do the same sort of thing that they did with 3e's "Greyhawk-lite".

If so, I think you would be right.
Nah. Not only will FR be the default setting, but I imagine it will also be fully supported.
I think that Nentir Vale has potential, but I think that WotC's "unifying the editions" talk, looks like they are aiming at classic D&D and AD&D as well as 3e. It is possible that they may try to disown 4e, in some sort of attempt to "join the opposition" and then se;; 5e as some sort of "ultimate universal retro-clone".

We have already seen some fairly high-up people booted out and I think it is possible that the experts that brought us Nentir Vale could be swept away in a purge.

I also think that old school (2e or classic) campaign settings might be the carrots dangled in front of the noses of grognoids. Although I am a non-4e fan that is interested in Nentir Vale, I think that some pre-4e fans are ignoring it "just because it is 4e" and that WotC may assume that most D&D fans are shunning Nentir Vale.
Remember that while the people at WotC want to appeal to many different groups of fans, the last thing they would want to do is alienate 4E fans. Remember that 4E does have a huge following. It is not as big a group as WotC would like it to be, but it is still one of the most popular games out there. The question is, do the 4E fans care about the Nentir Vale?

As to Pre-3E fans, I dont expect to see much of an effort spent there. Grumpy grognoids already have all the books they will ever need and enjoy sitting on the fence complaining. There is very little money to be made off this group. However, iconic products, worlds and modules do have a strong appeal and making D&D feel like D&D is a good marketing strategy.

I think that Nentir Vale has a bit of a PR problem. IMO, it needs someone to be a champion for it to survive.

WotC don't even bother to have a Nentir Vale forum on their own website. I can't think why*. We seem to be the world's leading Nentir Vale forum, and that is not really a big boast yet, as the community is still getting off the ground and growing. :?
Nentir Vale has two groups supporting it on Wizards.com
* = Mind you, WotC don't seem to have ever bothered to make a Ghostwalk forum. :|
Ghostwalk is a one-book setting/campaign model, probably being fairly unprofitable. I can think of quite a few items being better candidates for support than that. With the number of products tied to the Nentir Vale I think that is an unfair comparison. However, it could also be that the 4E era policy was to shift the focus away from settings and towards rules, which would be consistant with said fora. The problem is that rules discussions tend to be divisive while setting discussions tend to be more unifying, which could explain some of the success we have seen here :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:42 am

Havard wrote:Remember that while the people at WotC want to appeal to many different groups of fans, the last thing they would want to do is alienate 4E fans. Remember that 4E does have a huge following. It is not as big a group as WotC would like it to be, but it is still one of the most popular games out there. The question is, do the 4E fans care about the Nentir Vale?
To me, it is always one step removed from that. I see the question as being: "Does Wizards of the Coast think that fans care about Nentir Vale?" If Wizards think that Forgotten Realms and Eberron are more likely to pull in 3e fans (as well as 4e fans), Nentir Vale could easily be pushed to one side.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:* = Mind you, WotC don't seem to have ever bothered to make a Ghostwalk forum. :|
Ghostwalk is a one-book setting/campaign model, probably being fairly unprofitable. I can think of quite a few items being better candidates for support than that. With the number of products tied to the Nentir Vale I think that is an unfair comparison. However, it could also be that the 4E era policy was to shift the focus away from settings and towards rules, which would be consistant with said fora. The problem is that rules discussions tend to be divisive while setting discussions tend to be more unifying, which could explain some of the success we have seen here :)
Ghostwalk is a minority setting for 3e, just as Nentir Vale seems to have been relegated to being a minority setting for 4e. Both have a lot more potential. Both are WotC campaign settings and the fan community tends to be much more behind TSR campaign settings. I compared them on that basis.

I suppose that I could have compared Nentir Vale with the Greyhawk-lite thing and left it at that.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:38 am

Big Mac wrote:I think that Nentir Vale has a bit of a PR problem. IMO, it needs someone to be a champion for it to survive.
Maybe we need a Nentir Nexus. ;)
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:50 am

Honestly, I hope Nentir Vale sees support in 5e. I could see it being mentioned briefly in the DMG as a starter setting that could be put into any other setting (huge selling point, IMO).

The spirit of D&D Next is the best of D&D. And in a way, the Nentir Vale is just that. The best that D&D has to offer. It already includes some dungeons that are iconic to Greyhawk and Mystara.

If, however, the Vale gets the shaft, then we support it in fandom.

You know, NentirVale.com is available... ;)
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think that Nentir Vale has a bit of a PR problem. IMO, it needs someone to be a champion for it to survive.
Maybe we need a Nentir Nexus. ;)
You mean like this Nentir Nexus?:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns ... ntir-nexus

;)
Dragonhelm wrote:Honestly, I hope Nentir Vale sees support in 5e. I could see it being mentioned briefly in the DMG as a starter setting that could be put into any other setting (huge selling point, IMO).

The spirit of D&D Next is the best of D&D. And in a way, the Nentir Vale is just that. The best that D&D has to offer. It already includes some dungeons that are iconic to Greyhawk and Mystara.

If, however, the Vale gets the shaft, then we support it in fandom.

You know, NentirVale.com is available... ;)
I honestly hope that all campaign settings (even the smallest of the small minority settings) get some sort of recognition during the D&D Next Generation. Maybe that might not involve a published product, but it would be nice if every setting was visited for a series of Dragon articles and that fans were made welcome to setup fan communities to support every campaign world that does not yet have an "official fansite".

I think the ideal situation would be to have at least one Nentir Vale Campaign Setting hardback (for 5e) and also a fansite.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Havard wrote:Nah. Not only will FR be the default setting, but I imagine it will also be fully supported.
Can't wait to see which parts get nuked next :P
I think that Nentir Vale has potential, but I think that WotC's "unifying the editions" talk, looks like they are aiming at classic D&D and AD&D as well as 3e. It is possible that they may try to disown 4e, in some sort of attempt to "join the opposition" and then se;; 5e as some sort of "ultimate universal retro-clone".
To be honest, I haven't seen anything related to Nentir Vale that strikes me as particularly interesting, innovative, or unique. Kinda reminds me of a slightly larger, more developed version of the surface area of Night Below.
Remember that while the people at WotC want to appeal to many different groups of fans, the last thing they would want to do is alienate 4E fans. Remember that 4E does have a huge following. It is not as big a group as WotC would like it to be, but it is still one of the most popular games out there. The question is, do the 4E fans care about the Nentir Vale?
Yeah, 4e has the _second_ biggest fan-base in Table-top RPGs... :twisted:
As to Pre-3E fans, I dont expect to see much of an effort spent there. Grumpy grognoids already have all the books they will ever need and enjoy sitting on the fence complaining. There is very little money to be made off this group. However, iconic products, worlds and modules do have a strong appeal and making D&D feel like D&D is a good marketing strategy.
Heh, did you just say that the current version of D&D doesn't feel like D&D at all? ^_^
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Return to “Nentir Vale”