Matt James introduces Threats to the Nentir Vale

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Matt James introduces Threats to the Nentir Vale

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:00 am

You can see Matt James unboxing Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale on YouTube.

Matt is one of the designers, and this was the first time he had seen exactly what was in it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Matt James introduces Threats to the Nentir Vale

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:03 am

This is a fantastic monster book. Really, it's kind of a guide to various threats. Unique monsters, rival adventuring groups. Much better than some of the supplementary monster books over the years.

There's even a dragon inspired by a Dragonlance dragon. See if you can spot it. ;)
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Paladyn
Gnoll

Post by Paladyn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 am

I agree this is one ofbest products I've seen in years. A whole mine of ideas!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:28 am

Hmmm...maybe I will check this one out :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Sounds like you both get a kick out of this book.

How hard would it be to retro-convert* the monsters in Threats to the Nentir Vale? Is there anything that is totally dependent on 4e rules, or would they work with older rules?

* = Or rewrite them using the 4e stats as a theme to follow.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

BotWizo
Fire Giant

Post by BotWizo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:Sounds like you both get a kick out of this book.

How hard would it be to retro-convert* the monsters in Threats to the Nentir Vale? Is there anything that is totally dependent on 4e rules, or would they work with older rules?

* = Or rewrite them using the 4e stats as a theme to follow.

Since 4E is balanced differently than other rulesets, and not knowing which rules you are trying to convert to. I think you could take the fluff and the monster type (that monster x is goblin etc.), and possibly intended level, but I am pretty sure you could not use the stat blocks. I would read the stat blocks to see if you pick up something cool or a new way to use a power in old rules.

so rewrite using 4E stats as a theme.

You know typically you can take stats somewhat along the following lines
BECMI and 1E are very close not much if any conversion
1E <to> 2E some conversion
2E <to> 3E conversion needed
3E <to> 4E conversions needed
4E to all other editions conversions needed.
3E to 1E BECMI conversions needed.
2E to BECMI, 4E conversions needed.
1E to 3E, 4E conversions needed.

just thought I would state the obvious...
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks BotWizo. I use 3e, but I thought I'd keep the question of retro-conversion general, as I do hope to see retro-conversions to earlier editions of D&D, so that they all "stay alive" and gain additional monsters and stuff.

Some monsters (like tieflings) might seem a bit alien to certain groups (depending on what campaign settings they are used to) but I figure that if you have goblins in your game and later editions of D&D provide 10 variants of goblins (like the psionic blue from 3e) you should be able to raid those monsters and drop them into your game.

But with Threats to the Nentir Vale being set up to work with the Points of Light concept (and the Nentir Vale setting) I think that could be made to work with any earlier edition of D&D.

EDIT: What I mean is that this would seem to be one of the 4e books that would seem to also be useful to non-4e players.

BotWizo
Fire Giant

Post by BotWizo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:
EDIT: What I mean is that this would seem to be one of the 4e books that would seem to also be useful to non-4e players.
I would think so, I think you could definitely use the ideas.

I am not sure if Threats had any variants on monsters, but there have definitely been some 4e monsters that have given me ideas if I were to go back and run a 1E campaign.
Of course now that I am trying to I cannot think of one like your blue goblins, :oops: but i know there were a few 4e monsters that I noted would be cool variants for an older rule set.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 am

BotWizo wrote:Of course now that I am trying to I cannot think of one like your blue goblins, :oops: but i know there were a few 4e monsters that I noted would be cool variants for an older rule set.
I liked to the blue. It is in the psionic part of the SRD. I'm guessing that the critter hasn't been used outside of the Psionic Handbook, as it is pretty much dependent on those add-on rules to function.

I wonder if anyone has a copy of the Table of Contents of Threats to the Nentir Vale online.

I just re-read the thread and saw that Dragonhelm mentions rival adventuring groups. I think that is the first time I've seen that sort of thing mentioned in a book that also has monsters. I think it makes sense to have a book that lists various encounters in one place.

Return to “Nentir Vale”