Has Nentir Vale been dropped?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Has Nentir Vale been dropped?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am

I've not heard much about Nentir Vale (from Wizards of the Coast) recently.

Have they dropped support for the campaign setting?

Are they still putting out stuff on DDI?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Has Nentir Vale been dropped?

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:08 am

Big Mac wrote:I've not heard much about Nentir Vale (from Wizards of the Coast) recently.

Have they dropped support for the campaign setting?

Are they still putting out stuff on DDI?
Nothing has been said about dropping support for Nentir Vale. There's no word about whether 5e will use it or not. Until then, I would assume there may be some Nentir Vale material. Most might be there as default D&D material more so than exploring the world.

Really, I wish I knew more about the world it resides in. Alas.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Nothing has been said about dropping support for Nentir Vale. There's no word about whether 5e will use it or not. Until then, I would assume there may be some Nentir Vale material. Most might be there as default D&D material more so than exploring the world.

Really, I wish I knew more about the world it resides in. Alas.
I don't mean is it going to be dropped as a 5e world — I mean has it already been dropped as a 4e supported world.

I read, elsewhere, that a Greyhawk article got put out for 4e. I thought that Nentir Vale was getting all the old school locations reworked into it, but if WotC have started to support older worlds, maybe they are not putting out new Nentir Vale content.

Perhaps I'm picking up the wrong vibe from this. When was the last published Nentir Vale content published?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:54 am

The last Nerathi Legends article was 12/09/11. Those article provided more information on the world. I don't know if articles since have contained more tibits directly related to Nentir Vale. Since they had the recent staff cuts it could simply be no one has had the time to write more Nerathi Legends articles or they were not well liked.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:34 pm

dulsi wrote:The last Nerathi Legends article was 12/09/11. Those article provided more information on the world. I don't know if articles since have contained more tibits directly related to Nentir Vale. Since they had the recent staff cuts it could simply be no one has had the time to write more Nerathi Legends articles or they were not well liked.
Ah, Rangers of Cernall. Thanks Dulsi. That puts it down to the 9th of December 2011 (for the benefit of people in the UK, who normally write that as 09/12/11).

Those articles are all by Richard Baker. So he published the last Nerathi Legends article on the 9th and then on the 14th he tells people that he got the boot from WotC. (Which is kind of ironic, when they only just promoted him into that, soon to be "no longer needed post", back on the 13th of July.)

From the comments on that page:
BendBarsLiftGates at the WotC website wrote:
BendBarsLiftGates at the WotC website wrote:Where did they say Nerathi Legends was getting canned?
Never mind! I obviously hadn't read the article yet. Last paragraph of the article.
Would someone with DDI say what that last paragraph was, please? Perhaps that might explain what is going on with Nentir Vale or perhaps it might mean that WotC are shifting from building more Nerath locations to focusing on Nentir Vale itself.

I wonder if support for Nentir Vale might have declined because Rich Baker might have been the driving force of Nentir Vale. Perhaps getting rid of him has left them with a setting with no champion. :?

Who else is left from the Nentir Vale team?

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Final paragraph from Rangers of Cernall
This article marks our final installment of Nerathi Legends, at least for now. We set out to provide a small sample of noteworthy locations, situations, and adventure opportunities in the world of the Conquest of Nerath game. The intent was to provide interested Dungeon Masters with suggestions and details for potential D&D® games in this world, while providing colorful backdrops and world lore for players interested in the setting. Our apologies to the completists out there—we always intended to leave much of the map blank and provide just a few samples of the setting. Anyway, we’re moving on to new material. We hope you have enjoyed the series!
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks, Dulsi. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:31 am

I just saw a link to this Dragon Editorial posted at the Flanaess Geographical Society:
Dragon #408 Editorial wrote:This year in the magazines, we’re taking a break from the Nentir Vale “points of light” setting to shine a light on the Forgotten Realms as well as some of our other popular worlds, past and present. You’ll see more Eberron articles, more Dark Sun articles, and even some content for Ravenloft, Planescape, and the World of Greyhawk. But the Realms, in particular, will receive a lot of love.
So, it looks like Nentir Vale is "dropped for the rest of the year", at least from the magazines. This leaves me wondering if there is actually going to be time (after the "break") to get back to Nentir Vale and actually put out the rest of the campaign setting. :?

There is more, in the full editorial, but it is all about Forgotten Realms apart from the first paragraph:
Dragon #408 Editorial wrote:Player’s Option: Heroes of the Elemental Chaos™ hits stores this month, just in time for players to create elemental-themed heroes for The Elder Elemental Eye™, the next D&D Encounters™ season. To celebrate, we’re letting gods, primordials, and elemental- themed heroes run amok in the pages of Dragon and Dungeon this month. I hope you like what we have planned!
Hmm. Is The Elder Elemental Eye connected to Nentir Vale? Elemental-themed heroes would certainly be an opportunity for these new PCs to be dropped into a Planescape game.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:I just saw a link to this Dragon Editorial posted at the Flanaess Geographical Society:
Dragon #408 Editorial wrote:This year in the magazines, we’re taking a break from the Nentir Vale “points of light” setting to shine a light on the Forgotten Realms as well as some of our other popular worlds, past and present. You’ll see more Eberron articles, more Dark Sun articles, and even some content for Ravenloft, Planescape, and the World of Greyhawk. But the Realms, in particular, will receive a lot of love.
So, it looks like Nentir Vale is "dropped for the rest of the year", at least from the magazines. This leaves me wondering if there is actually going to be time (after the "break") to get back to Nentir Vale and actually put out the rest of the campaign setting. :?
Sounds to me like this is the end of the Nentir Vale Setting. With the Forgotten Realms intended to be the default setting of D&DNext, I wonder if we will ever hear from it again?

There is more, in the full editorial, but it is all about Forgotten Realms apart from the first paragraph:
Dragon #408 Editorial wrote:Player’s Option: Heroes of the Elemental Chaos™ hits stores this month, just in time for players to create elemental-themed heroes for The Elder Elemental Eye™, the next D&D Encounters™ season. To celebrate, we’re letting gods, primordials, and elemental- themed heroes run amok in the pages of Dragon and Dungeon this month. I hope you like what we have planned!
Hmm. Is The Elder Elemental Eye connected to Nentir Vale? Elemental-themed heroes would certainly be an opportunity for these new PCs to be dropped into a Planescape game.
The Elder Elemental Eye is Tharizdun, most strongly associated with Greyhawk and the module Temple of Elemental Evil. In 4E Tharizdun is often referred to as the Chained God, but I don't know if any specific connections between him and the Nentir Vale are mentioned, except the fact that the Abyssal Plague Event involves that God as well as multiple worlds including the Nentir Vale.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Nentir Vale”