Fury in the Wastelands: The Orcs of Tellene

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Fury in the Wastelands: The Orcs of Tellene

Postby Big Mac » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:50 am

Does anyone have Fury in the Wastelands: The Orcs of Tellene?

From the description of Fury in the Wastelands: The Orcs of Tellene on Amazon, it looks like this is quite an important part of the campaign setting:
Fury in the Wastelands: The Orcs of Tellene at Amazon.com wrote:Fury in the Wastelands: The Orcs of Tellene (Dungeons & Dragons: Kingdoms of Kalamar Sourcebook) Paperback – May, 2002
by Paul Wade-Williams

The definitive orc sourcebook for Dungeons & Dragons and the Kingdoms of Kalamar, designed for both the player and the dungeonmaster. Includes five orc sub-breeds, new orc-related skills, orc spells, new orc weapons, six orc prestige classes, feats for orc PCs and NPCs, orc magic items, orc alchemical mixtures. Also includes discussion of the orc society and religious beliefs. Three complete adventures dealing with orcs.

What is the setup for this orc society?

Does this work like a Kingdoms of Kalamar sub-setting (with it's own map) or are these socieities scattered in among other races?

Kenzer & Co kind of pitch these books (like a lot of 3rd Edition third party publishers) as if they are useful to people who are not using their campaign setting. How well does the religion swap-out (or swap-in) for the religion in the core 3e rulebooks? Could the two religions be used alongside each other?

Is this a book for NPCs or are PC orcs a big part of Kingdoms of Kalamar?

Are the orcs "bad orc" like in Green Races, or is there a variety of alignments (like with humans)? Would the included adventures work with Green Races?

Are there any other books (KoK or not) that would support The Orcs of Tellene well?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Fury in the Wastelands: The Orcs of Tellene

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Interesting. I just placed an order for this book.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Okay, so my copy just arrived in the mail! :)

I literally just opened the book, so I cannot answer much at this time, but I will try a few comments:

Big Mac wrote:What is the setup for this orc society?

Does this work like a Kingdoms of Kalamar sub-setting (with it's own map) or are these socieities scattered in among other races?

The book does not describe a single Orc society. Rather it details the Orc race in general as it appears on Tellene, including multiple subraces found scattered across the world. It also details many diffenerent tribes that are found in different parts of the Kingdoms of Kalamar world.

Kenzer & Co kind of pitch these books (like a lot of 3rd Edition third party publishers) as if they are useful to people who are not using their campaign setting. How well does the religion swap-out (or swap-in) for the religion in the core 3e rulebooks? Could the two religions be used alongside each other?

Large portions of this 160 page book are highly generic in nature. I would say this book could be very useful to DM's wishing to run a 3E campaign with Orcs in another setting. Not quite sure about the Gods yet, but I think they too could be easily replaced or changed to fit most campaigns.

Is this a book for NPCs or are PC orcs a big part of Kingdoms of Kalamar?

Are the orcs "bad orc" like in Green Races, or is there a variety of alignments (like with humans)? Would the included adventures work with Green Races?

This book can be useful both for DMs and Players. If the DM allows it, Orcs can now be PCs and be of most alignments. Some of the subraces are probably more suited as PCs than others. If the DM does not want PC Orcs, there is still plenty of material here that can be used to flesh out Orcs as opponents for the PCs in campaigns that want to go a bit more into detail on this race than simply treating them as canon fodder.

Are there any other books (KoK or not) that would support The Orcs of Tellene well?

Don't know about that...

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks for that overview Havard.

I might pick this up, if I can find an affordable copy.

Let me know if you have any further thoughts on it, after reading it more.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Kingdoms of Kalamar