Dijishy: The City of History

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Dijishy: The City of History

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:50 am

There are two versions of a Kingdoms of Kalamar book called Dijishy: The City of History. The 3rd Ediiton D&D version has 65 pages and this description:
Kenzer and Company at Lulu wrote:Welcome to the desert city of Dijishy - a city so ancient that none know its true origins. It is a city governed by the Inevitable Order of Time; a city that is trading post, oasis, refuge, den of thieves, home of prophets, and site of the most ancient library on Tellene. Whether you claim to be a native of the city, a tribesman struggling for survival in the wastes, or one of the brave souls who journeyed here from another land, this supplement presents you with all you need to explore its ancient wonders and modern secrets. DIJISHY: THE CITY OF HISTORY contains all the details you need to play adventures in this setting, including: Races and Regional Feats, New Advanced Cleric Class, Prestige Classes, Weapons, Armor and Equipment, Detailed City and Culture, DM Toolbox, Adventure Hooks and Tips, City Map and Much More!
The 4th Edition Hackmaster version has 57 pages and this description:
Kenzer and Company at Lulu wrote:Welcome to the desert city of Dijishy - a city so ancient that none know its true origins. It is a city governed by the Inevitable Order of Time; a city that is trading post, oasis, refuge, den of thieves, home of prophets, and site of the most ancient library on Tellene. Whether you claim to be a native of the city, a tribesman struggling for survival in the wastes, or one of the brave souls who journeyed here from another land, this supplement presents you with all you need to explore its ancient wonders and secrets. In addition to providing a city setting with adventure hooks for GameMasters to use as fits their style and campaign, this book also contains a new regional monster, secret society and details on running a desert adventure. It accomodates the Player with new equipment, packages, a new Zealot class and details on a hitherto unacknowledged diety.
Those are slightly different descriptions for each book. I'm wondering if there are any differences, apart from the need to support different types of rules.

Is the map mentioned in the D&D version also in the Hackmaster version?

Are the races mentioned in the D&D version featured in the Hackmaster version?

Is the Zealot character class from the Hackmaster verision the same thing as the "New Advanced Cleric Class" hinted at in the D&D version?

Is the "hitherto unacknowledged deity" from the Hackmaster version featured in the D&D version?

Are there any other differences? Or can a person just buy the version that uses the rules they like and not worry about things being "missing"?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Morfie
Metamorph

Re: Dijishy: The City of History

Post by Morfie » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:49 am

They look exactly the same to me, apart from the versions.

Odd, I thought Hackmaster was only for parodies.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Dijishy: The City of History

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 am

Morfie wrote:They look exactly the same to me, apart from the versions.
They have different page counts. And the end of the blurbs is different.

The Hackmaster version doesn't mention Races and Regional Feats, for example. But it might do the same stuff with Hackmaster mechanics...or it might drop a couple of things that were just there to pad out the D&D version. :?
Morfie wrote:Odd, I thought Hackmaster was only for parodies.
I used to think that. That's why I didn't instantly jump on Hackjammer.

I think the parody thing only applied to Hackmaster conversions of 2nd Edition AD&D products. The Hackmaster versions of Kingdoms of Kalamar products were never supposed to be parodies.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”