City State of P'Bapar Sourcebook (2017)

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Havard
Dragon Turtle

City State of P'Bapar Sourcebook (2017)

Post by Havard »

I just came across The City state of P'Bapar Sourcebook at Kenzer Company's website. I kind of stopped following Kalamar after Kenzer seemed to go fully Hackmaster 4th Ed for all of its game products.

Its a bit weird that the City State of P'Bapar Sourcebook is broken up so that you have to buy each chapter as a separate PDF.

Was there ever any talk of collecting it into a single PDF?

Still, it is nice to see another Kalamar Sourcebook out there. Has anyone taken a look at it? Does anyone know what authors were invovled in writing it?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: City State of P'Bapar Sourcebook (2017)

Post by Big Mac »

I never noticed this before.

It's like one of those multi-part magazines that builds up into an entire encyclopedia in 500 issues. :P

I'm not sure if the six parts cover all of P'Bapar? It looks like they only have sourcebooks for two wards:
  • P'Bapar Part 1: Overview of the Independent City-State of P'Bapar
  • P'Bapar Part 2: P'Bapar City Overview
  • P'Bapar Part 3: Baparan Government and Military
  • P'Bapar Part 4: Societies, Groups, Guilds and Organizations
  • P'Bapar Part 5: The Outer Ward
  • P'Bapar Part 6: North Ward - Bluffs Neighborhood
  • P'Bapar Part 7: North Ward - Pebble Hill Neighborhood
Either they are still in the process of making this (and put out the chapters, so that people could start to use them) or this is something that got cancelled before it got finished.

The covers have the HackMaster logo, but I'm not sure if this is pre-D&D HackMaster or post D&D HackMaster. :?

EDIT (by Big Mac) 1 Feb 2020: Kenzer & Co are still working on this. I've just added 7: North Ward - Pebble Hill Neighborhood and they say they are working on parts 8 and 9.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:48 pm
I never noticed this before.

It's like one of those multi-part magazines that builds up into an entire encyclopedia in 500 issues. :P

I'm not sure if the six parts cover all of P'Bapar? It looks like they only have sourcebooks for two wards:
  • P'Bapar Part 1: Overview of the Independent City-State of P'Bapar
  • P'Bapar Part 2: P'Bapar City Overview
  • P'Bapar Part 3: Baparan Government and Military
  • P'Bapar Part 4: Societies, Groups, Guilds and Organizations
  • P'Bapar Part 5: The Outer Ward
  • P'Bapar Part 6: North Ward - Bluffs Neighborhood
Either they are still in the process of making this (and put out the chapters, so that people could start to use them) or this is something that got cancelled before it got finished.

The covers have the HackMaster logo, but I'm not sure if this is pre-D&D HackMaster or post D&D HackMaster. :?
Given that this is from 2017, I'm guessing this is Hackmaster 5th Edition, which is "post-D&D".

Good point about this possibly not being a complete book yet. I would love to find out more about that.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:03 pm
Given that this is from 2017, I'm guessing this is Hackmaster 5th Edition, which is "post-D&D".

Good point about this possibly not being a complete book yet. I would love to find out more about that.
Kenzer and Company seem to have switched to a much slower development model, since they quit doing Dungeons & Dragons stuff.

They farmed out a lot more books when they made 3e D&D stuff. I think perhaps they didn't like some of the things that others introduced into the setting and are trying to keep more control on everything.

But I think they also have a smaller team and are focusing more on their loyal fanbase, rather than trying to suck in lots of new fans.

This approach of putting out something in parts, is interesting, as it allows for a slower development cycle, but also allows fans to start using content as soon as possible.

It seems very much like an intentional strategy to get the best out of their Hackmaster business model.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

7: North Ward - Pebble Hill Neighborhood is now available!

Greymarch2000
Goblin

Post by Greymarch2000 »

I just came over in the great Torg migration and it's nice to see a Kalamar section on here. Hackmaster is probably my number one game system and I've come to love Kalamar over the years (even if I was originally sad we didn't get more Garweeze Wurld in the "new" edition).

But yeah, things have been coming out really slowly and I believe the idea was to have these piecemeal pdfs for P'Bpar and the Spellslingers Guide eventually be collected into full ones (not sure about the Zealot's Guides since that would be a THICK book). Also, the author said he was dealing with some stuff so had been slow to send in more stuff.

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”