My Growing Kalamar Collection

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

My Growing Kalamar Collection

Post by Knightfall » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:50 am

Here is a list of the D&D v3.0/v3.5 books that I have manged to get for Kingdoms of Kalamar. I haven't broke down and bought the Atlas book yet even though there still copies of it floating around Edmonton's game stores (along with other Kalamar books [but a lot less than there used to be]).

I keep waiting for more Kalamar books to hit the four Wee Book Inn used bookstores in the city. However, Kalamar books don't come up very often (unlike 4E), and the books that do end up in at the WBIs are usually books I already have (and in rough shape). And, I admit that I haven't been looking as hard for Kalamark books since I haven't read all the ones I do have.

"Loona: Port of Intrigue" and the "Villain Design Handbook" were my last major finds. Both are great, BTW.

Core Books
• Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting Sourcebook [v.3.0]
• Player's Guide [v.3.0]

Accessories and Sourcebooks
• Friends & Foes: The Gnomes & Kobolds of Tellene
• Geanavue: The Stones of Peace [v.3.0]
• Loona: Port of Intrigue
• Secrets of the Alubelok Coast
• Strength and Honor: The Mighty Hobgoblins of Tellene
• Svimohzia: the Ancient Isle
• Villain Design Handbook [softcover]

Adventures
• Deathright [v.3.0]
• Lands of Mystery [v.3.0]
• Lost Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali, The [v.3.0]
• Midnight's Terror [v.3.0]
• Siren's Prize [v.3.0]

Coin of Power Adventure Trilogy [v.3.0]
• The Root of All Evil
• Forging Darkness
• Coin's End

Now, I'm sure Big Mac (or someone else) will have questions about the content of the books I own, and I'll be happy to oblige. However, my current Literature night class is my main priority right now. So, any major queries will have to wait.

FYI... the Hobgoblin books is AWESOME!!! It's my favorite Kalamar sourcebook. If you have the chance to buy a copy, take it!!!
Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Knightfall's Kingdoms of Kalamar "To Get" List

Post by Knightfall » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 am

"To Get" List
Core Books
• Atlas [v.3.0]
• Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene ("got it")
• Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands [PDF]

Accessories and Sourcebooks
• Blood & Shadows: The Dark Elves of Tellene (must have)
• City Map Folio
• Dungeon Master's Shield
• Friend & Foe: The Elves and Bugbears of Tellene (must have)
• Fury in the Wastelands: The Orcs of Tellene [v.3.0] (must have)
• Pekal Gazetteer [v.3.0]
• Player's Primer
• Salt and Sea Dogs: The Pirates of Tellene (must have)
• Stealth and Style: A Variant Class Guidebook to the Infiltrator and Basiran Dancer (unsure)

Adventures
• Black as the Brightest Flame (must have)
The Dark Secret of Death Isle :?:
• Garden of the Plantmaster (must have)
• Harvest of Darkness [v.3.0]
• Perils of Pekal
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: My Growing Kalamar Collection

Post by Big Mac » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Out of interest, why do you say that Villain Design Handbook is great? From the title, it seems like a fairly generic book. Does it have a strong Kingdoms of Kalamar theme to it, or did you like it because it is flexible enough to be used with any setting?

BTW: One of the three KoK books I own is Stealth and Style: A Variant Class Guidebook to the Infiltrator and Basiran Dancer. Maybe you might want to ask me questions. ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Big Mac wrote:Out of interest, why do you say that Villain Design Handbook is great? From the title, it seems like a fairly generic book. Does it have a strong Kingdoms of Kalamar theme to it, or did you like it because it is flexible enough to be used with any setting?
For me, it's great because it seems very flexible in its use and it is for D&D v.3.5. I'll be able to use it for World of Kulan without too much work. However, it does have strong Kalamar elements. For example, it gives example villains for many of the Archetypes listed in Chapter 2.

It is a rulebook/sourcebook first. There are chapters for organizations, feats, prestige classes, spells, and magic items & artifacts. It is better than the Book of Vile Darkness if you want your villains to be more down to earth, however. It takes a close look at villain psychology and motivation. There are chapters dedicated to lairs and monsters/templates. And there is a short adventure (4 pages) in the back of the book called "A Change of Plans."
Big Mac wrote:BTW: One of the three KoK books I own is Stealth and Style: A Variant Class Guidebook to the Infiltrator and Basiran Dancer. Maybe you might want to ask me questions. ;)
I've had the chance to buy Stealth and Style, but I've always seem to find something else on the shelf that I want more. I know its a v.3.5 book, so I'll likely want to add it to my collection at some point. Ihave an idea of what's in it, but a short review/summary might help make up my mind. Would you say it's flexible enough to be used for another setting? It didn't seem like it to me when I last looked at it.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Re: Knightfall's Kingdoms of Kalamar "To Get" List

Post by George.Fields » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:55 pm

Knightfall wrote:"To Get" List

Adventures
• The Dark Secret of Death Isle
What is this? I've never heard of it.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:51 pm

Interesting thread! :)

I only have the following:
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting Sourcebook [v.3.0]
  • Player's Guide [v.3.0]
  • Atlas [v.3.0]
  • Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene (must have)
  • Svimohzia: the Ancient Isle
  • Dungeon Master's Shield
Thinking about expanding my collection as well. This thread is giving me some ideas on what to prioritize. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 pm

George.Fields wrote:

Adventures
TSR Archive lists it as "K&C1114 The Dark Secret of Death Isle" on their Kingdoms of Kalmar page. There is no link on that line, so I'm wondering if it is what Havard calls "vapourware" (an adventure that never got published).
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 am

Interesting.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:36 am

I have a couple of the old small mini-adventure booklets that I picked up as swag from K&Co a few years ago. One of them is the original "Sometimes They Come Back" adventure. Can't remember the others and they are currently packed up as we are moving into a new apartment this weekend. Once I get all my stuff unpacked I'll look through them.

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:46 am

Kalamar Quests: KA1 The Sirocco's Kiss - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Lands of Mystery
Kalamar Quests: KA2 In Too Deep - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Lands of Mystery
Kalamar Quests: KA3 Temple of the Bronze Flame* - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Harvest of Darkness
Kalamar Quests: SV1 Unguarded Hoard - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Lands of Mystery
Kalamar Quests: SV2 Sometimes They Come Back* - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Harvest of Darkness
Kalamar Quests: WL1 Night of the Rot Lord - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Lands of Mystery
Kalamar Quests: YK1 The Hungry Dead* - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Harvest of Darkness
Kalamar Quests: YK2 A Foe in Need - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Harvest of Darkness

* HackMaster 4e versions are available as pdf.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:22 am

George.Fields wrote:

Adventures
Hmm, if you haven't heard of it, it makes me think it doesn't exist.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:43 am

George.Fields wrote:Kalamar Quests: KA1 The Sirocco's Kiss - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Lands of Mystery
Kalamar Quests: KA2 In Too Deep - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Lands of Mystery
Kalamar Quests: KA3 Temple of the Bronze Flame* - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Harvest of Darkness
Kalamar Quests: SV1 Unguarded Hoard - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Lands of Mystery
Kalamar Quests: SV2 Sometimes They Come Back* - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Harvest of Darkness
Kalamar Quests: WL1 Night of the Rot Lord - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Lands of Mystery
Kalamar Quests: YK1 The Hungry Dead* - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Harvest of Darkness
Kalamar Quests: YK2 A Foe in Need - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Harvest of Darkness

These are the ones that I have. I just had Jolly and Barbara sign "sometimes they come back" at Origins. I also have the box set setting and the "Temple of Adajy" and "Tragedy in the House of Brodeln".

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:44 am

DirtSkull wrote:
George.Fields wrote:Kalamar Quests: KA1 The Sirocco's Kiss - converted to D&D3e in the anthology Lands of Mystery

These are the ones that I have. I just had Jolly and Barbara sign "sometimes they come back" at Origins. I also have the box set setting and the "Temple of Adajy" and "Tragedy in the House of Brodeln".
Nice, you've got all of the pre-d20 stuff. I've recently gotten an extra copy of both 'Tragedy in the House Brodeln' and 'Secret Temple of Adajy'.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:39 am

I had Steve Johanssen sign "The Temple of Adajy", he told me how his brother wrote that when they were in high school. I also had him sign a print copy of the "Elm King". He said he bought a laser printer last week and printed off a couple dozen copies in his living room just for Origins. Good guy.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Knightfall wrote:
George.Fields wrote:

Adventures
Hmm, if you haven't heard of it, it makes me think it doesn't exist.
This might not exist, but I found out what it should have been, in a press release by someone called Douglas "Sayburr" Click on ENWorld:
Sayburr at ENWorld wrote:KEN 1114 Kalamar: The Dark Secret of Death Isle $11.99
This d20 adventure rooted on forbidden island plagued by ghostly apparitions and missing persons comes with a 16-page full-color art section, photographic character POV art, a full-scale, 2' x 3' photo map poster, and color tile maps designed to be used with miniatures.
It looks like this adventure was due to be published in June 2003.

Mark Plemmons replied in the thread and said that another of the products had been pulled from the June schedule, but did not mention KEN1114.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:11 pm

FYI, Sayburr is a former K&Co Website Admin/Head Mod, but IIRC not a paid employee, and used to be involved in a lot of the goings on around the K&Co website. He's a good guy but got too busy. He still shows up there around the KoK sections from time to time.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Mark Plemmons answered the question in the thread about it over at the K&Co forums;

http://www.kenzerco.com/forums/showthre ... ost1222334
No, it was a freelance project that never came to fruition. Back in the old days, projects were announced before they were completed.

Even though the freelancer's proposal was mostly a complete (unedited) d20 project, it never went beyond that concept/proposal stage, as I recall.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Greylond wrote:Mark Plemmons answered the question in the thread about it over at the K&Co forums;

No, it was a freelance project that never came to fruition. Back in the old days, projects were announced before they were completed.

Even though the freelancer's proposal was mostly a complete (unedited) d20 project, it never went beyond that concept/proposal stage, as I recall.
Thanks Greylond. I'm subscribed to that thread, but you saved me crossposting this for Knightfall.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:41 am

I finally got this one (as a PDF)...

Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene

My sister let me order it (and several other PDFs) from RPGNow using her CC. :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:44 am

Big Mac wrote:
Greylond wrote:Mark Plemmons answered the question in the thread about it over at the K&Co forums;

Thanks Greylond. I'm subscribed to that thread, but you saved me crossposting this for Knightfall.
Good to know... thanks.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Knightfall wrote:I finally got this one (as a PDF)...

What do you think? Are there any especially interesting monsters?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 am

Big Mac wrote:
Knightfall wrote:I finally got this one (as a PDF)...

What do you think? Are there any especially interesting monsters?
The book is excellent, IMO, and I've only skimmed it s far. The monsters aren't just interesting, they're varied. No one creature type dominates the book, although there are large (yet good) sections on golems, mummies, and trolls. There are some intriguing variants in the book such as the Bugbear Mage, Grave Harpy, Metamorph Doppelganger, Occultipus Beholder, Reanaarian Cyclops, Rock Sphinx, Sca'lara Troglodyte, Shashyf Goblin, Tigerus Lamia, Tunnel Hag, Undead Treant, Urban Gargoyle, and Zek'ira Lizardfolk.

There are many unique creatures that seem quite inspired. Here are the names of the ones that I like the best: Boom Frog (magical beast), Bouncing Spider (magical beast), Dragon Shark (magical beast), Eaten One (undead), Elephantine Creature (template), Gibbering Terror (aberration), Goldfin (monstrous humanoid), Hulking Growler (giant), Impervigen (aberration), Rooftop Prowler (aberration), and Tarantubat (magical beast).
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”