Kingdoms of Kalamar City Map Folio - any good?

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Kingdoms of Kalamar City Map Folio - any good?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:38 am

There is a product called Kingdoms of Kalamar City Map Folio on Amazon that is advertised as having 32 pages. Here is the blurb:
Kingdoms of Kalamar City Map Folio blurb on Amazon.com wrote:Easy-To-Use Quick Reference Demographics! Whether you need the geographical location, population, races, religious tendencies or mode of government, each city map gives you all the basic information you need. Vast metropolises, colonies, city-states, cities and towns of all shapes and sizes! No matter if you are looking for an isolated country town or a huge, thriving city, it exists here. Nonhuman cities! Visit an elven city in the deep forest, a mountainous dwarven citadel, the religious and political capitals of a hobgoblin empire, and more! Open-ended city construction! Each city map functions as a blank template for a DM's campaign, or a cartographer's rendering for player handouts!
One review says: "It only has cities from the Young Kingdoms and Kalamar."

A second (more critical review) says: "All it is are single page maps of cities in Kalamar and the Young Kingdoms with no labels, references, and little distinction between them. All in all, hopelessly generic and of little use."

Does anyone have this?

What is in it? Is it 32 maps (i.e. double-sided pages) or is it 16 maps with blank backs?

Is it all different locations or are there GM and PC versions of the same places?

Do the maps represent specific locations within the Young Kingdoms and Kalamar or are they unnamed cities?

Do other products tie into these maps and provide more detail? (Do other products have the same maps in them?)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Morfie
Metamorph

Re: Kingdoms of Kalamar City Map Folio - any good?

Post by Morfie » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:27 am

See here for an example of a page.

They are all like that. A very basic city map with a stat block. Nothing fancy.

I would agree with the 2nd review.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Morfie wrote:See here for an example of a page.

They are all like that. A very basic city map with a stat block. Nothing fancy.

I would agree with the 2nd review.
Thanks Morfie.

Wow, that is really basic! There are no street details and no buildings are identified. And the idea of Korem having one big road, two big sideroads and no other streets that show up on the map is a bit silly.

At least they have the names of the city. I suppose that is something. But I think that you would have to redraw the map to use it in your own campaign.

Is Korem covered in any of the books in the Kalamar product line? Is there a better map of it anywhere else?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:41 pm

I own it, although I've never really used it. For the most part, its fairly generic city maps with little detail in terms of what the buildings are. In a way, that's both a good thing and a bad thing. Its good in that it makes it pretty generic, so all you have to do is file the serial numbers off and BAM! City map for any campaign setting you wish. Its bad in that it doesn't give you any details about the city, so you don't really get a nice city ready for play; the GM has to do a lot of work. Not even the same level of detail as the cities from the FRA hardback book. But, that said, it delivers what it promises: city maps and nothing more.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:54 am

night_druid wrote:I own it, although I've never really used it. For the most part, its fairly generic city maps with little detail in terms of what the buildings are. In a way, that's both a good thing and a bad thing. Its good in that it makes it pretty generic, so all you have to do is file the serial numbers off and BAM! City map for any campaign setting you wish. Its bad in that it doesn't give you any details about the city, so you don't really get a nice city ready for play; the GM has to do a lot of work. Not even the same level of detail as the cities from the FRA hardback book. But, that said, it delivers what it promises: city maps and nothing more.
If I just wanted "generic maps" it seems to me that I could get better maps online. For example, Alyssa Fayden has some awesome previews of her maps on Facebook. Even her part finished maps look better than the City Map Folio preview I saw.

What I would really want from this product if I bought it (and that is looking more unlikely the more I hear about it) is something that could enhance a Kingdoms of Kalamar game. If some or all of these maps tie into other products in the Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting, I can see how they might "add value" to those other products.

If there is no real connection between this map folio and the rest of the product line, then I don't see it having any value.

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”