Hackmaster version vs older versions?

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Hackmaster version vs older versions?

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:13 pm

In what ways does the Hackmaster version of the Kingdoms of Kalamar differ from previous iterations of the setting?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

cyric
Orc

Re: Hackmaster version vs older versions?

Post by cyric » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:10 pm

In non, or nearly non. Kenzer just went with what they allready had. So if you liked the old Kalamar you will still like the new one.

AaronOfBarbaria
Goblin

Post by AaronOfBarbaria » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:41 pm

The differences will likely boil down to not doing any things that might have been done with the 3rd/4th edition version of the setting for the purpose of better fitting to the standard D&D expectations. Like their may or may not be mechanical variations between things like hill dwarves and mountain dwarves, and particular monsters standard to the D&D experience may not have a close equivalent.

Though that is talking in the "as things get released in the future" sense. The actual currently available "hackmaster edition" of the Kingdoms of Kalamar is not contradictory to info in the 3.5 version of the campaign guide, but does contain slightly words, and the atlas section is identical to the other versions of the atlas.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:22 am

I've heard that Hackmaster has been pretty slow coming out...compared to the 3rd Edition product line for Kingdoms of Kalamar.

If they are doing less outsourcing, and doing more of it in-house, I guess that means they can spend more time on quality control and fix anything in the outsourced canon that they don't think works so well.

Is there any of that going on with Hackmaster?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:13 pm

There were also Kalamar books produced for 2nd edition AD&D. I wish I'd grabbed those back then. They are kinda pricey now but I think you can buy PDFs of them from Kenzer & Co
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:54 pm

ghendar wrote:There were also Kalamar books produced for 2nd edition AD&D. I wish I'd grabbed those back then. They are kinda pricey now but I think you can buy PDFs of them from Kenzer & Co
Indeed. Thanks for reminding me about those. I have heard about them, but never seen them. How many books were made for AD&D Kalamar? Again, would the setting have changed much between than version and the one for 3E?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Based on the Kalamar wikipedia page, there were two 2e era books.

Vol 1: Sourcebook of the Sovereign Lands detailed the people and places of Tellene, the campaign's continent (and world). It broke the continent down into six regions and examined each one on a large scale.
Vol 2: Mythos of the Divine and Worldly detailed the setting's 43 gods. It also described the setting's secret societies, astrology and calendar.

They are available for $9.99 each (PDF) at kenzerco.com.
Vol 1: Sourcebook of the Sovereign Lands
Vol 2: Mythos of the Divine and Worldly

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks Ghendar!

I wonder if there were major changes between these and the 3E books.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Havard wrote:
ghendar wrote:There were also Kalamar books produced for 2nd edition AD&D. I wish I'd grabbed those back then. They are kinda pricey now but I think you can buy PDFs of them from Kenzer & Co
Indeed. Thanks for reminding me about those. I have heard about them, but never seen them. How many books were made for AD&D Kalamar? Again, would the setting have changed much between than version and the one for 3E?
I don't know about any differences, but George Fields posted a full list of Kingdoms of Kalamar products in this post.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm

ghendar wrote:Based on the Kalamar wikipedia page, there were two 2e era books.

Vol 1: Sourcebook of the Sovereign Lands detailed the people and places of Tellene, the campaign's continent (and world). It broke the continent down into six regions and examined each one on a large scale.
Vol 2: Mythos of the Divine and Worldly detailed the setting's 43 gods. It also described the setting's secret societies, astrology and calendar.

Kenzer and Co have some of the 3e Kingdoms of Kalamar stuff available in Print on Demand format from Lulu.

I wonder if they have these books on PoD. :?

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Big Mac wrote:

Kenzer and Co have some of the 3e Kingdoms of Kalamar stuff available in Print on Demand format from Lulu.

If they had them PoD, I'd probably spring for them, or at least Vol1. I just can't see paying $20 for PDFs though. Give me a print copy any day.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:55 pm

ghendar wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

If they had them PoD, I'd probably spring for them, or at least Vol1. I just can't see paying $20 for PDFs though. Give me a print copy any day.
I just searched Lulu and found they have a Kenzer and Company storefront. The AD&D books don't come up on a search for Kingdoms of Kalamar books, but you can get an idea of the sort of prices they charge for the other Print on Demand books. (So if they ever add it later, you should have a rough idea of what they would charge.)

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”