Kabori, Imperial Family, and Heirs

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

antesse
Kobold

Kabori, Imperial Family, and Heirs

Post by antesse » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:33 am

I was wondering if anyone has put together anything on the family of Kabori and House Bakar. I've seen mention of a few distant cousins and a bastard half-brother in charge of various kingdoms and cities and such around the Empire and Young Kingdoms but curiously enough I don't recall any mention of a son, daughter, heir, wife, siblings, or any close relations (when they go into those details for many of the other kings, nobles, and rulers). It can't be because he's too young because the implication seems to be that he's been emperor for a while...or at least long enough to win some victories and shake things up.

It would be interesting to see a family tree for House Bakar and the line of imperial succession. If Kabori were to die suddenly, is there a clear heir? Would the throne go to one of the distant cousins or the half-brother? Would the throne go to someone outside the family such as a trusted duke or the marshal of the legions? Or would half a dozen claimants to the throne begin to fight over scraps of the empire?

Anyone have any knowledge on if they covered any of this in any books? Anyone have a fan-created answer? I might consider this for a future campaign.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Kabori, Imperial Family, and Heirs

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:11 am

Hi Antesse.

Welcome to The Piazza! You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic, say "hi" to everyone and tell them a bit about yourself and the stuff you are interested in.
antesse wrote:I was wondering if anyone has put together anything on the family of Kabori and House Bakar. I've seen mention of a few distant cousins and a bastard half-brother in charge of various kingdoms and cities and such around the Empire and Young Kingdoms but curiously enough I don't recall any mention of a son, daughter, heir, wife, siblings, or any close relations (when they go into those details for many of the other kings, nobles, and rulers). It can't be because he's too young because the implication seems to be that he's been emperor for a while...or at least long enough to win some victories and shake things up.
I'm still learning about Kingdoms of Kalamar, and I know less than you, but you are right. This is something that could be very useful as a plot device in a game.

I had a look online, but the only thing I could find, was a page on the Kenzer & Co website that was about Kalamar:
Kenzer & Co: Kalamar page wrote:Kalamar

As a nation, Kalamar has its roots in peace and prosperous co-existence of humans and non-humans. Many hundreds of years ago, settlers came north across the land bridge from the cradle of civilization and prospered in the wetlands of the Alubelok Swamp. Wise decisions made by King Ali Inakas lead to productive treaties with the dwarves of the Ka’Asa Mountains. Armed with the secret of dwarven bronze, the Kalamarans were well equipped to defend their territory.

Soon, though, dissatisfaction plagued the Kalamaran people. King Ali’s sons, Rulakan and Fulakar, encouraged their father to use their bronze-equipped armies to conquer instead of defend. A peaceful king, Ali refused. His sons orchestrated a coup and assassinated their own father. Now in control of the nation, they began an aggressive and destructive campaign of expansion.

After being stopped in the south by the humanoids of the Obakasek Jungle, the brothers pressed northward where they rolled over all resistance until they were turned away by the Fhokki barbarians. Already controlling massive territory, the Kalamaran horde pressed westward toward Brandobia where they were eventually barely stopped at the Legasa Peaks in the famous battle of Coniper Gap.

The Obakasek to the south, the Fhokki to the north, the Brandobians to the west and the natural barrier of the Kakidela, Ka’Asa and Byth Mountains to the west left the Kalamarans with a huge expanse of territory which eventually proved too much to govern and control.

Over time, fragments of the Kingdom sued for independence one by one, backing up their demands with military force. Those offshoot territories which could not be beaten into submission slipped from the Kingdom’s grasp and formed independent nations.

Today, the Kalamaran Empire sits in the middle of a barely controlled collection of nations consisting of the Kingdom of Kalamar, the Kingdom of Basir, the lands of Tarisato, the Duchy of Dodera and the Kingdom of Tokis. Despite Emperor Kabori’s desire to reclaim lost territory, it is all he can do to hold on to what he has now.
In there you have King Ali Inakas and his sons Rulakan and Fulakar. But there is no mention of any daughters or the family of Rulakan and Fulakar.
Kenzer & Co: Kalamar page wrote:Kalamar Today

Over the course of the past three centuries of the rule of House Bakar, the Kingdom of Kalamar has lost half of its original holdings. It is only due to the strength and cleverness of the current ruler, Emperor Kabori, that Kalamar doesn’t completely crumble. Gems and ores removed from the Ka’Asa Mountains by dwarven slaves, abundant food supplies and vast herds of livestock enable Kabori to fund his massive military which in turn lets him rule through fear and power.

There are legends, though, of the return of an ancestor of House Inakas, the original Kalamaran rulers, who will fulfill prophecy and rise to peaceful leadership of the troubled land.
So, there have been 300 years since King Ali Inakas founded the nation. I'm not sure how many generations that might be, but you could probably have a look at some real-world royal families to get an idea.

The prophecy of the "return of an ancestor of House Inakas" lets us know that (at some point) another house has seized power of Kalamar. It would be nice to know a bit more about that. Did it go directly to House Bakar? Bakar doesn't sound connected to Rulakan and Fulakar. Would it have been the name of one of their sons? Did they go to war with each other? Or did their children turn against each other?

Also, how is a 300 year old ancestor going to come back? Will it be a magic-user with an extended lifetime? Will it be someone who has been frozen in time? Will it be someone brought back from the land of the dead (or wherever souls go to)? Or is there some sort of undead out there (maybe in the Alubelok Swamp) plotting to move to Kalamar and restore order? :?
Kenzer & Co: Kalamar page wrote:Basir Today

House Kadana rules Basir in the name of Emperor Kabori. Basir has a powerful naval force to protect it from waterborne threats and are insulated from landborne threats by Tokis and Kalamar. The people of Basir live generally content lives under the aging King Rapos II and his capable daughter, Princess Dela. Fair laws combined with general racial tolerance allows the kingdom to prosper financially from the contributions of content citizens.

Affluent and well-protected, the citizens of this nation live almost idyllic lives free from foreign invasion and domestic threats. It may, however, just be a matter of time before Kalamar squeezes more finances from this wealthy nation.
There is another house: House Kadana! Is that a house that migrated across the land-bridge or a house that was formed from the descendants of Rulakan or Fulakar?

King Rapos II implies a King Rapos I.

Princess Dela seems to be an only child.
Kenzer & Co: Kalamar page wrote:Dodera Today

Dodera represents the northern edge of Emperor Kabori’s influence. With the former Kalamaran nations of Pekal and Paru’Bor to the northwest, the dwarven freedom fighters of the Kakidela Mountains to the east and the savage frontier lands to the north, it’s no wonder that this duchy has seen nine different dukes in sixteen years. The current ruler, Grand Duke Orilaras is the bastard half-brother of Emperor Kabori. He maintains an iron-grip on his land and a strong military presence is a part of the everyday lives of its citizens.

Orilaras is preparing his armies to overrun Tharggy to the east. He also maintains a network of dwarven spies in the Kakidela Mountains. Life in Dodera is the life of an oppressed, wartime economy with rationed food supplies and heavy taxes.
There is a half-brother there: Grand Duke Orilaras!

It doesn't say what happened to the eight earlier dukes. I'm guessing that some or all of them might have been killed in battle or assasinated.
Kenzer & Co: Kalamar page wrote:O’Par Today

Neither rich nor powerful, the neutral nation of O’Par survives today due to the clever schemes of her ruler, Grand Duke Gadadik I. O’Par was once a kingdom of the Kalamar Empire, but it seceded over 80 years ago during the rule of a weak emperor.

Gadadik maintains the most diverse and flexible network of spies in all of Tellene. Through information gathering and the spread of misinformation, the Grand Duke is able to not only maintain his lands without being conquered, but is actually able to charge tithes to neighboring nations for allowing their troops to pass through his holdings.
The phrase "seceded over 80 years ago during the rule of a weak emperor" makes me think that is definitely not Emperor Kabori. I can't tell if there were any other emperors in between these two.

I'm guessing that Grand Duke Gadadik would be descended from a duke that was originally put in power by a former emperor. But are the two families related? Who knows?
Kenzer & Co: Kalamar page wrote:Pekal Today

Pekal is another former holding of the Kalamaran Empire. Today, the Principality enjoys an alliance with the Principality of Paru’Bor to the northeast from which it obtains knights, the Queendom of Tharggy from which it obtains funding and military advisors and the elves of Cilorea from whom it obtains crack archers. Pekal’s principle enemy is the Kingdom of Tokis to the southeast. Tokis has been charged by the emperor with reclaiming Pekal for Kalamar. So far, Tokis has been unsuccessful and Kabori is growing increasingly more impatient.

Life in Pekal is relatively prosperous. The Principality is founded on a philosophy of tolerance and peaceful coexistence. Given the internal troubles of Tokis, most of Pekal’s populace believes, perhaps rightly so, that invasion is no longer a threat.
I see no clues there. Good history, but no clues about how Pekal worked as a holding of the Kalamaran Empire.
Kenzer & Co: Kalamar page wrote:Tarisato Today

The fractious lands of southern Kalamar are the empire’s buffer against the savage humanoids of the Obakasek Jungle. Divided into nine fiefdoms, Tarisato is a troubled territory. Nine separate rulers all vie for Kabori’s favor while simultaneously defending themselves against not only the humanoids of the Obakasek but each other as well.

Fluctuating and uneasy alliances with some of the less savage humanoids, combined with selfish nobles concerned mostly with self-preservation make life in Tarisato hard. For the brave and hardy, however, there is money and fame to be gained in this harsh frontier.
That's a great area for courtly intrigue, but the nine rulers (and their relationships to House Bakar are not mentioned here.
Kenzer & Co: Kalamar page wrote:Tokis Today

Perhaps the most unfortunate of Kalamar’s holdings, Tokis is firmly under the thumb of Emperor Kabori. After being installed on the throne following the dissolution of a decades-long revolt, King Adoku found himself in the position of owing a great deal to his emperor -- a great deal being everything. Kabori ordered Adoku to retake Pekal and the Tokian king had no choice but to obey. That was ten years ago and Pekal still stands sovereign.

Knowing that it’s just a matter of time before Kabori loses his patience and forcibly removes him from the throne, King Adoku I is growing nervous. He is gutting his family’s personal fortune to pay for masses of mercenaries from Zazahni and Korak and soon plans another offensive. Unfortunately, a failing economy and an unnatural locust swarm in his nation are combining to make such an offensive less and less likely. For King Adoku Soriba I, the clock is ticking.
We have another king: King Adoku Soriba I! It's rare to see king's numbered before they die. Maybe that means he has a son by the same name who will be King Adoku Soriba II. :?

Is King Adoku related to kings who ruled Tokis before the revolt? Is he related to House Bakar (or House Inakas):?
Kenzer & Co: Kalamar page wrote:The Kalamaran People

Under the rule of Rulakan and Fulakar, the Kalamaran Empire swept far and wide, touching the lives of almost all the major human races of Tellene and many demihuman races. The end result is that the ancient race of olive-skinned, red-haired humans has diversified greatly. Only the nobility, who marry principally among themselves, retain the classic red hair with any frequency.
The red hair thing is interesting. It could be useful if a GM was trying to find pictures of former emperors or kings to use as handouts.
antesse wrote:It would be interesting to see a family tree for House Bakar and the line of imperial succession. If Kabori were to die suddenly, is there a clear heir? Would the throne go to one of the distant cousins or the half-brother? Would the throne go to someone outside the family such as a trusted duke or the marshal of the legions? Or would half a dozen claimants to the throne begin to fight over scraps of the empire?
That would be great.

Family trees for the other parts of Kalamar would also be great.
antesse wrote:Anyone have any knowledge on if they covered any of this in any books? Anyone have a fan-created answer? I might consider this for a future campaign.
There must be some of this mentioned in regional books. Living Kingdoms of Kalamar must also have added a ton of detail to the setting. Maybe there is something in there.

I don't have answers for you, but it's something I'd like to know about too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

antesse
Kobold

Post by antesse » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:40 am

I can connect some of the dots for you. Pretty much everything I know comes from the main setting book. I don't know if they ever did any splats on Kalamar or Bet Kalamar or Kabori like they did for a lot of other cities and locations and peoples.

I'll summarize what the book says since physical books don't have copy and paste.

You were right about Ali Inakas and his sons conquering and uniting Old Kalamar which stretched from mountains to mountains. Their descendants ruled for a bit and gained and lost territory. Kolokar was one of them. Upon his death, there was a civil war for the throne between other houses because his family was captured/killed/etc. Eventually Thedorus who claimed to be the heir of House Inakas was able to rise and reunite the empire with the help of dwarves, superior steel, a powerful paladin (Rovak Fen'doral), and a silver dragon (Vevisalikale). The reign of Thedorus was a golden age and the borders were re-established. When he died, the head of House Bakar, Vilik Bakar slaughtered House Inakas and Thedorus's heirs and claimed the throne. Vilik and his descendants ruled Kalamar up until the present day with Kabori Bakar. It's implied that most of the Bakar emperors were weak until Kabori. Kabori has been on the throne for about 20 years.

The borders of Old Kalamar are from the Legasa Mountains to the Ka'asa Mountains so basically all of the center of the map. The northern part (Young Kingdoms) consist of kingdoms and nations and cities that one by one declared independence and either won their independence or left unopposed (because of poor leadership). The southern part (Kalamar and allies) is the Kalamar Empire and several of the kingdoms are puppets of the emperor (Basir, Dodera, Tokis, Tarisato) because the emperor gave the land to a trusted noble house and also stationed soldiers there to make sure the kings followed the emperor.

These noble houses ruling other kingdoms might be related to House Bakar at least through marriages or something. The book mentions the kings of Ek'Kasel and Paru'Bor (both of which are "Young Kingdoms" despite Paru'Bor being in the Wild Lands chapter) being distant cousins of Kabori. Maybe House Kadana or the King of Tokis or the lords of Tarisato or the Duke of Dodera or any of the dukes, lords, barons, etc ruling other Kalamaran cities might be distant cousins too.

Back to Thedorus who died 300 years ago. His paladin buddy got turned into a sword...there's a sidebar on the story but the short version is he swore that he and his line would always serve but he had no descendants so he became a sword. Not sure about the dragon. The imperial regalia, crown, sword, and all that disappeared in the hands of Inakas loyalists when Thedorus died and his heirs were killed. These loyalists became the Guardians of the Hidden Flame who are waiting for the return of Thedorus, keeping a flame burning, talking of a coup, and secretly sending the Bakar emperors coins from Thedorus's reign as a way to taunt them. I assume it's more of a "chosen one" or "reincarnation" scenario rather than resurrection. Maybe the child who chooses the right toy from a blanket of thousands of toys is the returned Thedorus. Or maybe it's more like protecting the long lost Inakas heirs until the time is right.

So that's the history from the book summarized. More details are in the book and there is a timeline with a few relevant dates.

As for me and my table...I have a few ideas floating around. If I write out a family tree, I'll try to put it up on here.

antesse
Kobold

Post by antesse » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:26 am

Speculation and personal worldbuilding now...so this is unofficial stuff. I've had a few ideas floating around about a post-Kabori campaign if nothing official comes out about the imperial family.

The first is that there just isn't any logical heir. The only three family members I've seen mentioned are either distant or possibly ineligible. The bastard half-brother might be ineligible but might still make an attempt at claiming the throne. He's ruling one of the "puppet kingdoms" but that shouldn't be too much of a problem if he leaves someone in charge and heads down to the capital. The cousin in Paru'Bor is ruling a nation at war with Kalamar so short of declaring peace on himself and losing all sorts of respect with his people and reuniting his kingdom with the empire, he couldn't really make an attempt. The cousin in Ek'Kasel has been considering rejoining the empire (despite his heir dissenting and not wanting to rejoin). An attempt at claiming the throne would basically result in him rejoining the empire and leaving his heir behind to rule only for the heir to not rejoin...so he'd be abandoning his family and people. Maybe House Kadana is related and Princess Dela could try to claim the throne; Basir and Kalamar becoming one in the process would be almost seamless. Any of the dukes or lords around being family could have a similar result.

The second scenario would be another house trying to claim the throne and create a civil war if there is opposition. It's happened several times so far so it could happen again.

The third scenario is someone not related taking over such as a line of stewards or something like that. The most likely is for him to turn over rulership to Marshal Tedek Jevanik who is at the head of the legions and is known for revamping the entire military after being promoted to the top by Kabori. If he stays in control of the military, he's basically got the power to make the claim and hold the claim. No one can really hold a claim without the military behind him.

The fourth idea I have is for there to be an heir that hasn't been mentioned yet. Maybe it could be a long-lost son or an heir hidden in a far off place where he is safe from court politics. One interesting possibility that came to me recently is a young heir from a later wife...

...which is my fifth idea. The Guardians of the Hidden Flame, who are waiting for the return of Thedorus Inakas and the downfall of House Bakar, have a different plan after hundreds of years. They are protecting the last heirs of House Inakas, a thin line of descendants hidden in a safe location under assumed identities for a dozen generations. The elders have been grooming the newest descendant, training her and teaching her in her family's history and the ways of the court and of seduction. She is introduced to Kabori and, in time, convinces him to make her his new empress consort. A child is born, [Name] Bakar...who is also [Name] Inakas and the child is raised with secret teaching from his mother. When Kabori dies, [Name] takes the throne and the Guardian's mission is completed because an Inakas is on the throne again. Of course, this last idea could be combined with another idea as well. Maybe Marshal Jevanik tries to take power instead of the child. Or maybe the bastard half-brother. Or maybe there are children from an earlier marriage but who is the rightful heir?

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”