Hacklopedia of Beasts II

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Hacklopedia of Beasts II

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:29 pm

According to RPG Geek, there was a PDF called Hacklopedia of Beasts II published for Kingdoms of Kalamar in 2016. Here is the blurb:
Hacklopedia of Beasts II at RPG Geek wrote:This is it, the definitive follow-up work by the esteemed sage Greytar. Within these pages he catalogues a collection of the most varied and interesting creatures that populate the Kingdoms of Kalamar. With the aid of his fellow field researchers, they present this data for all interested readers – be they mercenaries eager to devise effective strategies for combating known foes or magicians seeking to enhance their spellcasting repertoire. Only a foole would travel the realms deprived of this valuable material.

The fruit of years of extensive travel and personal experience, Greytar presents a complete picture of every creature incorporating sketches, personal accounts, known habitats, tracker’s guides, combat tactics and yield data to round out his general observations of the beasts.
The deal was apparently that the PDF would be updated and then eventually turned into a physical book.

Is this book out as a printed book yet?

If not, how much are they waiting for, before it gets published?

Also, what sort of monsters are in Hacklopedia of Beasts II? Are they monsters convereted from earlier editions or new monsters?

If there are any new monsters, is there anything in the new monsters that would be worth retro-converting to 3rd Edition D&D (or 2nd Edition AD&D)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Hacklopedia of Beasts II

Post by night_druid » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:26 pm

I don't think its printed yet. They've been working on it for something like 5 years.

What's worse is the Caves of Chaos, which has been in development hell since before 4e D&D was published. :P
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:12 pm

night_druid wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:26 pm
I don't think its printed yet. They've been working on it for something like 5 years.

What's worse is the Caves of Chaos, which has been in development hell since before 4e D&D was published. :P
Have they put out any updates on either of the books?

It's a real shame that Kingdoms of Kalamar has slowed down. They put out so much interesting stuff for 3e D&D and I was hoping they would migrate over to Pathfinder RPG. The move to Hackmaster seems to have caused everything to grind to a snails pace.

I was hoping to see new organised play stuff or Free RPG Day stuff or other cool things.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:03 pm

There was an update to HOB II recently, but I suspect the Mines/Caves of Chaos project is dead. Its been in development for well over a decade now with no updates for many years.

With HM 5e, I think they brought it all in-house, and their staff shrunk considerably. At this point I think they just worry about KoDT and whatever is left over goes towards either HM or A&8. I doubt they have the time, energy, or resources for organized play or free RPG day materials any more.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:18 pm

Is this PDF still available if you pre-order the physical book?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:18 pm
Is this PDF still available if you pre-order the physical book?
IIRC, if you pre-order the book, you get the pdf free.

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”