[Kalamar] Kalamar for newbies

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Greylond
Bugbear

[Kalamar] Kalamar for newbies

Post by Greylond » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:17 am

I'm still pretty much a newbie to Kalamar, I haven't yet run a full campaign but I've been running a few adventures on it and I ran a short test campaign during the original playtest of HackMaster basic. So, here's what I recommend for those who are looking at Kalamar and trying to figure out if they want to use it.

First off, What is Kalamar? The best description is to read Dave Kenzer's introduction to the Kingdoms of Kalamar:

Dave Kenzer's Discourse on Kalamar:
http://www.kenzerco.com/Orpg/kalamar/nwhykalamar.php

Selected points that I like:
The underlying strength of the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting comes from its geo-historical basis. The maps feel right because they are right, at least from a standpoint of verisimilitude. The continents, lakes, rivers, forests and other geographical features all follow examples from the real world. This attention to detail clearly shows a setting built from the ground up, from the direction of the prevailing winds to the plate tectonics. No glaciers lie in the middle of warm lakes nor huge jungles in temperate latitudes. The Kingdoms of Kalamar setting becomes the invisible backdrop for the real action: you.
And there is also a FAQ that is useful:
http://www.kenzerco.com/Orpg/kalamar/nFAQ.php

And there is some other good basic info at the main product page for KoK:
http://www.kenzerco.com/index.php?cPath=25_28

That page has a good quote and the best explantion that I've found of what it means when Kalamar is described as "Low-Magic"
Magic is Not Common.
Sorcerers, wizards and the like exist in Tellene, but they are uncommon among all of Tellene's inhabitants. In some areas, they are quite rare, and the peoples in such areas believe most unusual (and seemingly inexplicable) events are a sign from one of many gods. The townsfolk easily confuse wizards - and especially sorcerers - with clerics, and arcane spells may be misunderstood as miracles. Even in the greatest cities, there are no “magic item shops” where a character might purchase items or spells, although centers of arcane learning, the treasure hoards of vanquished foes, ancient ruins, and the temples of the gods may provide characters with the rare magicks they may need.
Also, at the bottom of that last page are other links with basic info about Kalamar that I think is essential for anyone who wants to learn more.

Also, a regular user over at the K&Co boards, KurtEvans, is a free lancer and he wrote an introduction to the new edition of HackMaster and Kalamar. For those interested in Kalamar it is kinda a free, mini-Player's Guide to Kalamar. It also has a free HM adventure tied into it but that adventure is a good example of the kind of low-level adventure being written for Kalamar now. It is a PDF and can be found at;
http://www.terminal-studios.com/downloa ... alamar.pdf

So, if anyone who is new to Kalamar has any question about getting into Kalamar, please post them here and those of us who know a bit(in my case) or are experts can try to answer them.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Kalamar] Kalamar for newbies

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:01 am

Thanks for posting these links. I'll check them out.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Looking at the List of all Kalamar products? thread, it would seem that the 3e "buy in" would be:
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar (3e),
  • Player's Guide 3.0 or Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands and
  • Dangerous Denizens: the Monsters of Tellene
Is that right or are there any other products that the community say are a "must have"?

Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands and Dangerous Denizens are listed as PoD products. I love PoD, but I was wondering if these two were originally part of a mass produced print run. If they were, I might be able to pick one or both of them up at a gaming store for less than the Lulu price.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Yes, there was a print run of the Campaign book AND the Atlas. They were two separate books. I don't have any of their POD books but I've heard good things about them. If you have the Campaign book, I don't think you need the Player's Guide but it might be interesting to be able to hand to your players for their use.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks for your help, Greylond.

I think the campaign setting book is the first one I need. I try not to buy into a campaign setting without getting the "key" book, although I have disobeyed my own rule in the past.

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:33 pm

Greylond,

That first post here is great. You should post that in the Kalamar forums. I could sticky it and add to it as well.
Or, with your permission, I could cross post with a few updates.

KJSEvans
Goblin

Post by KJSEvans » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:21 am

Kalamar - certainly a fun place to run a campaign. I've been running a game there for two years now... and we've barely scratched the surface.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:50 am

KJSEvans wrote:Kalamar - certainly a fun place to run a campaign. I've been running a game there for two years now... and we've barely scratched the surface.
Welcome to The Piazza KJSEvans. :)

Have your two years for the setting given you any experiences that you could pass on to people just starting out?

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:10 am

Kurt is the creator of the New Player's guide from Terminal Studios that I linked to in my first post of this Thread.

Hey Kurt! Howareya?!

KJSEvans
Goblin

Post by KJSEvans » Wed May 01, 2013 5:08 am

Big Mac wrote:
KJSEvans wrote:Kalamar - certainly a fun place to run a campaign. I've been running a game there for two years now... and we've barely scratched the surface.

Have your two years for the setting given you any experiences that you could pass on to people just starting out?
If it were earlier in the evening, I'd give you a lengthy response. As it is, it'll have to wait until another time. I'll be happy to recount my Kalamar experiences sometime in the near future, though. :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 04, 2013 8:24 am

Greylond wrote:Kurt is the creator of the New Player's guide from Terminal Studios that I linked to in my first post of this Thread.
And also a "driving force" according to the Terminal Studios website. ;)

Two ENnies for (other) freebies is pretty impressive.
KJSEvans wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

If it were earlier in the evening, I'd give you a lengthy response. As it is, it'll have to wait until another time. I'll be happy to recount my Kalamar experiences sometime in the near future, though. :D
I'll have to try to remember to reply to you a bit earlier in the day next time. ;)

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”