Good adventures?

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Good adventures?

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Which adventures for Kalamar are considered the best? What is their focus etc?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Greylond
Bugbear

Re: Good adventures?

Post by Greylond » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 pm

It depends on what system. I'm not that familiar with the older ones, i.e D&D3.x. However, the newer ones for HackMaster I'd say Frandor's Keep and Plague of Coslen. I haven't seen Wrath of the Vohven but I hear very good things about it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 am

Greylond wrote:It depends on what system. I'm not that familiar with the older ones, i.e D&D3.x. However, the newer ones for HackMaster I'd say Frandor's Keep and Plague of Coslen. I haven't seen Wrath of the Vohven but I hear very good things about it.
Do you know what the deal with be with the 3e Kalamar adventures? Will they K&C republish them in HM format, put up a "Web Enhancement" with HackMaster stats or allow some of the uber-fans to knock up a conversion for them? Or is this something there is no plan for yet?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:02 am

I know that they have mentioned redoing some classic ones. Not so sure about some of the 3.x ones. Dave has said that in the time that they were really busy that some KoK stuff got through without being properly edited by the original KoK team so some of it they consider that it got away from their original vision and they plan on reigning that in a bit.

So, I don't know. They have hinted that they are working on the Caves of Chaos as a big expansion of Frandor's.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Greylond wrote:I know that they have mentioned redoing some classic ones. Not so sure about some of the 3.x ones. Dave has said that in the time that they were really busy that some KoK stuff got through without being properly edited by the original KoK team so some of it they consider that it got away from their original vision and they plan on reigning that in a bit.

So, I don't know. They have hinted that they are working on the Caves of Chaos as a big expansion of Frandor's.
Hmm. Maybe Bobby Ewing could come out of the shower with some AD&D adventures under his arm and tell us that he had a dream about something called "third edition". ;)

If there was a chance that some stuff would get redone for Pathfinder RPG, I might be tempted to wait a bit, but I think I'd find it easier to make a shopping list of 3e stuff and then take a bit of fan advice on "what needs fixing to bring it more in line with Dave Kenzer's vision".

However, I'm getting a bit away from Havard's topic. Perhaps another thread would be appropriate to discuss 3e and the Kalamar feel.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for the recommendations Greylond!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Big Mac wrote: If there was a chance that some stuff would get redone for Pathfinder RPG, I might be tempted to wait a bit, but I think I'd find it easier to make a shopping list of 3e stuff and then take a bit of fan advice on "what needs fixing to bring it more in line with Dave Kenzer's vision".
I totally understand, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any non-HM published adventures from K&Co. The stated reason for making KoK the default world for HM was that they didn't have the staff to work on multiple projects at once. Also, why would they put out an adventure that encourages someone to buy a non-K&Co game system?...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:42 am

Greylond wrote:
Big Mac wrote: If there was a chance that some stuff would get redone for Pathfinder RPG, I might be tempted to wait a bit, but I think I'd find it easier to make a shopping list of 3e stuff and then take a bit of fan advice on "what needs fixing to bring it more in line with Dave Kenzer's vision".
I totally understand, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any non-HM published adventures from K&Co. The stated reason for making KoK the default world for HM was that they didn't have the staff to work on multiple projects at once. Also, why would they put out an adventure that encourages someone to buy a non-K&Co game system?...
That is totally understandable. Pulling HackMaster rules and Kingdoms of Kalamar together merges two teams into one and makes things move forwards twice as fast.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:59 am

Heh, no "Two Teams" about it. K&Co has two full time employees, Steve and Jolly. Dave has a full time job with Motorola but writes alot of KoK and HM stuff. There's a few other original D-Team/KoK writers who have full time jobs elsewhere but still do some writing and then there's other freelancers but everything written goes through editing by Dave, Steve and Jolly. Jolly spends a lot of time writing KODT, his wife Barb is the editor for KODT.

I don't have much 3e stuff but I have the Zoa city supplement and I like it. If you are interested in Reanaaria Bay area, I'd say pick it up. One the things that I like about the KoK stuff is a lot of the Adventures also include Regional Information so even if you aren't going to go with the plot of the adventure, you've purchased something that is basically a Regional Supplement.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:59 am

Greylond wrote:Heh, no "Two Teams" about it. K&Co has two full time employees, Steve and Jolly. Dave has a full time job with Motorola but writes alot of KoK and HM stuff. There's a few other original D-Team/KoK writers who have full time jobs elsewhere but still do some writing and then there's other freelancers but everything written goes through editing by Dave, Steve and Jolly. Jolly spends a lot of time writing KODT, his wife Barb is the editor for KODT.
They certainly "punch above their weight".
Greylond wrote:I don't have much 3e stuff but I have the Zoa city supplement and I like it. If you are interested in Reanaaria Bay area, I'd say pick it up. One the things that I like about the KoK stuff is a lot of the Adventures also include Regional Information so even if you aren't going to go with the plot of the adventure, you've purchased something that is basically a Regional Supplement.
Sadly I don't know enough about the product line to know where things like that fit yet (so can't assess what I would want to look at). Maybe I'll start another thread, rather than derail Havard's one. (Or I could ask in your newbies thread.)

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”