Iconic Villains?

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Iconic Villains?

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Does Kalamar have any iconic villains or races/nations/organizations that often play that role?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Iconic Villains?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:50 pm

I couldn't tell you off hand, but I think the Villain Design Handbook would be a good resource to check out.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I couldn't tell you off hand, but I think the Villain Design Handbook would be a good resource to check out.
I saw Villain Design Handbook and couldn't really tell if it was a "must have" book. The name of it implied more of a "how to GM a game" book than a setting book.

I've looked around for a review, but can't find one. (The results are filled with pages that could have a review, but the review is blank.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Big Mac wrote: The name of it implied more of a "how to GM a game" book than a setting book.
This is my impression as well.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I couldn't tell you off hand, but I think the Villain Design Handbook would be a good resource to check out.
I saw Villain Design Handbook and couldn't really tell if it was a "must have" book. The name of it implied more of a "how to GM a game" book than a setting book.

I've looked around for a review, but can't find one. (The results are filled with pages that could have a review, but the review is blank.)
I think the best way to look at the book is to compare it to the Book of Vile Darkness, but that it isn't as over the top. Evil outsiders, for example, aren't the focus of the book; its more about "mortal" villainy. Here is list if its chapters.

Chapter 1: Stereotypes and Beyond
Chapter 2: Archetypes
Chapter 3: Inside the Mind of a Killer
Chapter 4: Where Monsters Dwell
Chapter 5: The Head of the Serpent
Chapter 6: New Villainous Rules
Chapter 7: Prestige Classes
Chapter 8: New Spells
Chapter 9: Wicked Things
Chapter 10: Dangerous Denizens

And it is v.3.5. :cool:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:07 am

Knightfall wrote:I think the best way to look at the book is to compare it to the Book of Vile Darkness, but that it isn't as over the top.
I avoided the Book of Vile Darkness, as I saw a bad review of it. Do you think the Villain Design Handbook actually does what the OP asked? Does it include actual example villans?
Knightfall wrote:Evil outsiders, for example, aren't the focus of the book; its more about "mortal" villainy. Here is list if its chapters.

Chapter 1: Stereotypes and Beyond
Chapter 2: Archetypes
Chapter 3: Inside the Mind of a Killer
Chapter 4: Where Monsters Dwell
Chapter 5: The Head of the Serpent
Chapter 6: New Villainous Rules
Chapter 7: Prestige Classes
Chapter 8: New Spells
Chapter 9: Wicked Things
Chapter 10: Dangerous Denizens

And it is v.3.5. :cool:
Thanks for the list of chapters. would you give a brief summary of what each chapter does, please. I can guess what the Prestige Classes and New Spells chapters would be about, but The Head of the Serpent and Wicked Things could be pretty much anything and most of the other chapters could be pitched in several ways.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”