Whats up with Kalamar?

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Whats up with Kalamar?

Post by Havard » Sun May 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Whats up with Kalamar these days? Is Kenzer still supporting it?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Whats up with Kalamar?

Post by night_druid » Sun May 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Yes. Kalamar is the default setting to Hackmaster. Kalamarian races are mentioned in the PHB, and the Monster book has a "In Kalamar" section and geographical range map for all monster entries. K&C is simply working on getting the core three HM books out the door, along with some adventures, before they wheel back around to doing a HM Kalamar book.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun May 20, 2012 8:41 pm

That is good to know! Kalamar is a very cool setting and I am stealing bunches from the 3E Hard Covers.

I havent really kept up with Hackmaster. There seems to be so many RPGs operating in that niche these days...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 25, 2012 1:43 am

night_druid wrote:Yes. Kalamar is the default setting to Hackmaster. Kalamarian races are mentioned in the PHB, and the Monster book has a "In Kalamar" section and geographical range map for all monster entries. K&C is simply working on getting the core three HM books out the door, along with some adventures, before they wheel back around to doing a HM Kalamar book.
I understand the need for Kenzer & Co to move away from 3rd Edition, but I do find the delays to setting creation expansion caused by new editions of rules frustrating. And even when they finish the core rules, and move to doing a HM Kingdoms of Kalamar book, it is mostly going to be a retread of the world (explained in terms of the new system).

Roughly what sort of percentage of the "core rules" do you think they have done so far? How long do you think it will be before they get back to world building?

Do you know of any new stuff or changes that are known to be planned for the HM Kalamar book?
Havard wrote:I havent really kept up with Hackmaster. There seems to be so many RPGs operating in that niche these days...
I got totally confused with old Hackmaster (which is tied to Garweeze Wurld) and new Hackmaster (which is tied to Kingdoms of Kalamar). I think they have a bit of brand confusion there.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Ravenheart87
Goblin

Post by Ravenheart87 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:36 am

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote: Roughly what sort of percentage of the "core rules" do you think they have done so far? How long do you think it will be before they get back to world building?
Two of the core books are finished, the third (Gamemaster's Guide) going to be released in early 2013. They never left world building: all their new HackMaster adventures take place on Kalamar and they're working on P'Bapar and Bet Kalamar sourcebooks.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote: Roughly what sort of percentage of the "core rules" do you think they have done so far? How long do you think it will be before they get back to world building?
Two of the core books are finished, the third (Gamemaster's Guide) going to be released in early 2013. They never left world building: all their new HackMaster adventures take place on Kalamar and they're working on P'Bapar and Bet Kalamar sourcebooks.
Great. How many adventures are out now?

Is there an ETA for these sourcebooks and do they replace existing (3e) books or cover new areas of the setting?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu May 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Big Mac wrote:Great. How many adventures are out now?
Frandor's Keep, Wrath of the Vohven, Plague of Cosolen, In the Realm of the Elf King, Ivory Palette White Horns, and the Mysterious Shrine.

http://www.kenzerco.com/index.php?cPath=25_94&page=1
Is there an ETA for these sourcebooks and do they replace existing (3e) books or cover new areas of the setting?
Not that I'm aware of. K&C seems to have more an attitude of "it'll be out when we're satisfied that its the best damned book we can write".
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 31, 2012 8:40 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is there an ETA for these sourcebooks and do they replace existing (3e) books or cover new areas of the setting?
Not that I'm aware of. K&C seems to have more an attitude of "it'll be out when we're satisfied that its the best damned book we can write".
Is this the new campaign setting? The page says that is a 17 year old document! :?

Ravenheart87
Goblin

Post by Ravenheart87 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:30 am

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is there an ETA for these sourcebooks and do they replace existing (3e) books or cover new areas of the setting?
Is this the new campaign setting? The page says that is a 17 year old document! :?
Nope, it's the pdf re-release of the original sourcebook written for AD&D. I suppose the HackMaster release of the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting's is going to be like the core rulebooks - huge faux leatherbound stuff.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:04 am

Thanks Ravenheart87. I guess that would be the best entry point for old school fans (that just want the setting), but I'll pass on this, as I think the 3e line will probably duplicate it all.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:33 am

I was able to find really good copies of the setting and some of its extras via ebay and amazon for really cheap.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:56 am

Bouv wrote:I was able to find really good copies of the setting and some of its extras via ebay and amazon for really cheap.
Are you talking about old (3e or AD&D) stuff or the new HackMaster stuff?

I'm having trouble finding the HackMaster stuff for Kingdoms of Kalamar. When I look around the K&C site, I keep seeing the 3e stuff (and even stumbled onto the page for that AD&D book recently - and thought that was a new book). Does anyone know what page shows the new Kingdoms of Kalamar material?

BTW: I'm very glad that K&C have the old stuff up, so I hope they never remove it, as it is great product support. But it would be nice for there to be a HM: Kalamar page and for the old stuff to also link over to the new stuff.

Ravenheart87
Goblin

Post by Ravenheart87 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Bouv wrote:I'm having trouble finding the HackMaster stuff for Kingdoms of Kalamar. When I look around the K&C site, I keep seeing the 3e stuff (and even stumbled onto the page for that AD&D book recently - and thought that was a new book). Does anyone know what page shows the new Kingdoms of Kalamar material?
Well, everything for the new Hackmaster is KoK stuff too... :) You can find them here: http://www.kenzerco.com/index.php?cPath=25_94

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Bouv wrote:I'm having trouble finding the HackMaster stuff for Kingdoms of Kalamar. When I look around the K&C site, I keep seeing the 3e stuff (and even stumbled onto the page for that AD&D book recently - and thought that was a new book). Does anyone know what page shows the new Kingdoms of Kalamar material?
Well, everything for the new Hackmaster is KoK stuff too... :) You can find them here: http://www.kenzerco.com/index.php?cPath=25_94
Thanks Ravenheart87.

That is the page where I saw the campaign setting book that I got told was an old AD&D book. Looks like someone at K&C filed it in the wrong place. :?

Ravenheart87
Goblin

Post by Ravenheart87 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:51 am

Big Mac wrote:That is the page where I saw the campaign setting book that I got told was an old AD&D book. Looks like someone at K&C filed it in the wrong place. :?
That pdf was released last year, and it was put there, because it's content system neutral (although the original was written for AD&D) and the background information is useful for HackMaster. It might be a bit confusing, since the details about that were only shared on the Kenzer&Co forum. Still, it's a good and cheap sourcebook - perfect until a revamped KoK campaign setting appears, which won't happen too soon.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That is the page where I saw the campaign setting book that I got told was an old AD&D book. Looks like someone at K&C filed it in the wrong place. :?
That pdf was released last year, and it was put there, because it's content system neutral (although the original was written for AD&D) and the background information is useful for HackMaster. It might be a bit confusing, since the details about that were only shared on the Kenzer&Co forum. Still, it's a good and cheap sourcebook - perfect until a revamped KoK campaign setting appears, which won't happen too soon.
Sounds like this is the book of choice for all the people playing different rules (C&C, OSRIC, Dark Dungeons, etc, etc) who want to get involved with the Kingdoms of Kalamar.

Ravenheart87
Goblin

Post by Ravenheart87 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Big Mac wrote:Sounds like this is the book of choice for all the people playing different rules (C&C, OSRIC, Dark Dungeons, etc, etc) who want to get involved with the Kingdoms of Kalamar.
Absolutely.

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”