4e Kingdoms of Kalamar - anyone got it?

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

4e Kingdoms of Kalamar - anyone got it?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:57 pm

Has anyone got the 4th Edition version of the Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting?

If you have, what do you think of it? Does it fit well with the 4e rules? Does it still feel like the Kingdoms of Kalamar?

And, from the point of view of a 3e fan, like me, is there anything in the book that would make it worth adding to a 3e collection of KoK products?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Re: 4e Kingdoms of Kalamar - anyone got it?

Post by George.Fields » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 am

I bought this only to have a searchable pdf of the setting. I ignored all of the D&D 4e material in it. That and the fact that this was (at that time) the only place to get the atlas in pdf format was a great selling point for it.

Now that the original Kalamar books from the box set released in the 90s is available in pdf format, getting it for that atlas is moot. The atlas was added to the 'gazetteer' portion of the set, and it's only $10.

You can get it here.

If you don't need the atlas or a searchable pdf, there is no need to get them unless you're a Kalamar completionist like me. ;)

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:25 pm

George.Fields wrote: If you don't need the atlas or a searchable pdf, there is no need to get them unless you're a Kalamar completionist like me. ;)
uh... George, NO ONE Is a Kalamar completionist like you...

...not even DSK, IMO... ;)

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:43 pm

I've even got two copies of the original gray covered books (which only had one print run of about 500 sets) and two copies of the German printing of the D&D3e core book. :P

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:28 pm

George.Fields wrote:I've even got two copies of the original gray covered books (which only had one print run of about 500 sets) and two copies of the German printing of the D&D3e core book. :P
I rest my case... ;)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 pm

The main reason I didn't get this one is that it was a PDF release only. I could see the advantage of having a searchable PDF though.

Still, I wish they had made a print version :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 pm

I've got a copy of the original grey books/orange boxed set, too. So that's three in our gaming group.

Actually, we've got a lot of interesting gaming relics between us. ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Havard wrote:The main reason I didn't get this one is that it was a PDF release only. I could see the advantage of having a searchable PDF though.

Still, I wish they had made a print version :)

-Havard
I've considered printing it chapter by chapter and spiral binding each individually to be stored as a 'box set'. I'd print the cover to glue to the box top. I would leave the atlas section out as I have three copies of the print version, though.
In fact, I do believe I am going to do that this summer.
Thanks for the reminder, Havard! :)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 pm

George.Fields wrote:I've considered printing it chapter by chapter and spiral binding each individually to be stored as a 'box set'. I'd print the cover to glue to the box top. I would leave the atlas section out as I have three copies of the print version, though.
In fact, I do believe I am going to do that this summer.
Thanks for the reminder, Havard! :)
Great idea! :)

Check out this Dragonsfoot thread for a great alternative to spiral binding your PDFs. :ugeek:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:50 pm

That is freaking sweet! I'll have to try that with something to see how well I can do it.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:36 am

That's a lot of work. I'd rather just get someone to spiral bind it.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 am

Greylond wrote:That's a lot of work. I'd rather just get someone to spiral bind it.
Ot just send it trough Lulu.com as a private project.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 am

George.Fields wrote:If you don't need the atlas or a searchable pdf, there is no need to get them unless you're a Kalamar completionist like me. ;)
Thanks George.

I'm more into dead tree format, so I'd probably be better off looking for the Kindoms of Kalamar Atlas than either the 4e PDF or the revamped boxed set PDF.
Greylond wrote:
George.Fields wrote:I've even got two copies of the original gray covered books (which only had one print run of about 500 sets) and two copies of the German printing of the D&D3e core book. :P
I rest my case... ;)
:lol:

I do try to avoid doing that. Firstly, because "stuff" costs money, but also because it takes time to read things and work out how to use them. (Forums like this can help with that, because you can sometimes find an uber-geek that can tell you some useful shortcuts that would otherwise take ages to learn. But generally, the smaller I can make a Kingdoms of Kalamar collection the easier it will be for me to feel that I understand it.)

There is also the fact that if I buy stuff and don't actually have a use for it, I'm pulling it out of the pool, so other fans don't get to have it. That doesn't apply to PDFs (or to Print on Demand) as the copy the end user buys only gets created when someone buys it. But generally I think it is a bit silly for me to sit on something that could be entertaining an entire gaming group.
Havard wrote:Still, I wish they had made a print version :)
Me too. WotC are going to shut down production of 4th Edition fairly soon. When that happens Kingdoms of Kalamar might just be something useful to people that want to carry on doing 4e, but who need something new to play with.

I'd actually like to see what 4e fans think of Kingdoms of Kalamar.
Greylond wrote:That's a lot of work. I'd rather just get someone to spiral bind it.
I guess it all depends on how anal someone wants to be about how "pretty" they make a homemade book.

There is a fan netbook for Dragonlance called Adlatum that I'd love to get done in hardback format that is exactly the same size as my 3rd Edition books from Margaret Weis Productions.

And if I printed out a Kingdoms of Kalamar PDF, instead of buying the dead-tree version, I think I'd want it to match the K&C stuff.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 am

Big Mac wrote:
I guess it all depends on how anal someone wants to be about how "pretty" they make a homemade book.

There is a fan netbook for Dragonlance called Adlatum that I'd love to get done in hardback format that is exactly the same size as my 3rd Edition books from Margaret Weis Productions.

And if I printed out a Kingdoms of Kalamar PDF, instead of buying the dead-tree version, I think I'd want it to match the K&C stuff.
Heh, sorry, inside game group joke. One of the guys in my game group repairs the machines that do the binding at places like Kinko's. Sometimes he has to "Run a Test Book" through to check one out... ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:45 pm

Greylond wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Heh, sorry, inside game group joke. One of the guys in my game group repairs the machines that do the binding at places like Kinko's. Sometimes he has to "Run a Test Book" through to check one out... ;)
Aha! I used to laminate posters, in a previous job and threw some of my D&D posters into the machine as part of my training on the machine. :D

(Actually the laminating machine I used at work was a bit of a beast and I could easily have squished up some fairly hard to replace posters, so the training was actually justified. If I ever went back to work at the same place, I'd probably need to relearn how to use it.)

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”