Which Kalamar products reference space?

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Which Kalamar products reference space?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 pm

I've just tracked down a couple of Kingdoms of Kalamar products to finally start my collection: I checked a couple of pages, before I ordered them and found that RPG Geek says the Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting Sourcebook has some stuff about astronomical data:
RPG Geek page for Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting Sourcebook wrote:The Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting Sourcebook contains everything players and GMs alike need to set their Dungeons and Dragons 3.0 campaign in the world of Tellene. It contains full color interior illustrations and maps, extensive details on all regions of the world and it inhabitants, notes on languages, gods and laws, and astronomical and currency data.

This entry is for the 3rd Edition.
What sort of astronomical data does the book have? Are we talking of a list of constellations? Are there maps of the heavens? Does it tell you anything about the sun and moon? Does it list any planets or anything else?

RPG Geek also says that The Root of All Evil starts off with a meteor:
RPG Geek page for The Root of All Evil wrote:This exciting book is the first role-playing adventure module set in the newest 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons campaign setting, the Kingdoms of Kalamar third edition. The epic story begins in the northern country of Shynabyth where the players are assembled to find the remnants of a meteor said to be made of the rare substance mithril. However, what they uncover is a plot to construct a powerful magic relic. Unfortunately the artifact is a tool for wickedness and the players soon find themselves on a quest to Reanaaria Bay to find the means to destroy the evil item and its insidious master, before she destroys them. The Root of All Evil is an official 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons adventure for first level characters.
This seems to suggest that mithril might be mined from asteroids found up in the space around the world.

And if the "powerful magic relic" comes from space, that might be a hook that could take a Spelljamming campaign down to explore the world. Or maybe a way to infer some stuff to go into "Kalamarspace".

The Root of All Evil is the first part of the Coin of Power Trilogy (followed by Forging Darkness and Coin's End). Do the other books give any more information about space?

Are there any other KoK books with a space connection?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Greylond
Bugbear

Re: Which Kalamar products reference space?

Post by Greylond » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:43 am

Hey, the 3.0 KoK book has the main constellations and basic data on Tellene's moons and that's about it. No real info on "K-Space." The K&Co D-Team aren't real interested in SpellJammer, the only thing that K&Co ever published for a "SpellJammer" type game was HackJammer and that was completely done by Freelancers and had some serious HackMaster errors in it. There was some major errata for it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Greylond wrote:Hey, the 3.0 KoK book has the main constellations and basic data on Tellene's moons and that's about it. No real info on "K-Space."
You're right. I found 6 pages in the Celestial Bodies and Calendar section (Appendix I pages 230-236), and some of that is already mentioned on the K&C website.

But I did find some interesting bits of information. And I do find that inspirational.

Diadolai (Elven Moon) is thought to be home of the gods by Tellene's elves. If I wanted to build Kalamarspace, perhaps that be a good place to locate an "advanced elven civilisation" that encourages that belief. Or perhaps the moon is home to a strong cult of The Riftmaster and they spread the belief that Diadolai is home to the gods. The Riftmaster is a god that likes magic items to be sacrified and in Spelljammer, there is a helm called a Furnace that consumes magic items. Perhaps that type of helm could be built on Diadolai.

Pelselond has an elliptic orbit. I wonder if that means this moon is a captured asteroid. If I was a bit more sure of the mathematics of transfer orbits, I would try to work out if Pelselond could travel between Diadolai's orbit and Veshemo's orbit in a 34 day period. :?

Veshemo itself, just seems to be a standard moon. I would be interested to know of Tellene's lycanthropes are in sync with Veshemo, rather than the other two moons.

The Brightstar is fairly interesting. If Tellene's sages can detect a double star half a light year away, they should be able to detect some planets orbiting their own sun. (I think that is something that might be problematic, if I were trying to make a Kalamarspace crystal sphere. The Brightstar would need to be converted into an "additional astronomical" and would probably need to be located fairly close to the sphere wall. The "good and evil" influence might be interesting if it extended into wildspace and created a zone of good or evil around The Brightstar. I'll be interested in knowing if there is any other K&C material about how this property is supposed to work, as it could suggest the time the two bodies take to turn.)

Magnostorms sound pretty fun. They come from space, but the Campaign Setting Sourcebook doesn't suggest a point of origin. In the real world magnetic storms can come from the Sun. But perhaps in Kalamarspace they move randomly through space.

The Elemental Points of Contact are not really celestial bodies, but they could be something that is found on any other celestial bodies around Tellene. That could be something that makes Kalamarspace special.

The constellations are fairly interesting, but I don't get any specific inspiration from them at the moment.

You are right that there isn't much there, but
Greylond wrote:The K&Co D-Team aren't real interested in SpellJammer, the only thing that K&Co ever published for a "SpellJammer" type game was HackJammer and that was completely done by Freelancers and had some serious HackMaster errors in it. There was some major errata for it.
Sure. Kenzer & Co couldn't use Spelljammer anyway, as it belongs to Wizards of the Coast. A lot of their old HackMaster products (including Hackjammer) seemed to become "unsellable" when the deal between K&C and WotC ran out.

But I've seen quite a few campaign settings that suggest that special materials have "fallen from space" or that certain monsters are "aliens for space" and I wonder if Kingdoms of Kalamar have any other hidden gems of that type.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:13 am

There are several hidden gems within the setting.

If you look hard and read between the lines, they even have a possible spot in the setting to run S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

KJSEvans
Goblin

Post by KJSEvans » Wed May 01, 2013 4:51 am

Indeed. And there's a lot of space to insert other things as well. I've dropped the Temple of Existential Evil into P'Bapar.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 03, 2013 3:45 am

George.Fields wrote:There are several hidden gems within the setting.
Great. I was hoping to get some help finding the hidden gems, so that I can prioritise the order I buy and read KoK products in.
George.Fields wrote:If you look hard and read between the lines, they even have a possible spot in the setting to run S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.
Sounds interesting. What book do I need to look at to find the link?

Was there a HackMaster (old HackMaster) adaptation of Expedition to Barrier Peaks? If there was, would that fit better than the TSR version?
KJSEvans wrote:Indeed. And there's a lot of space to insert other things as well. I've dropped the Temple of Existential Evil into P'Bapar.
Sounds good, although I'm more looking for space-related plot hooks within the Kingdoms of Kalamar canon at the moment.

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Fri May 03, 2013 11:42 am

S3 is the only one of the S-series that never had a hacked version.

The D&D 3.0 core setting hardcover book page 99 hints its possible location.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 am

George.Fields wrote:S3 is the only one of the S-series that never had a hacked version.

Ah - The Great Fissure! Thanks George. I don't think I would have spotted that myself.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat May 04, 2013 10:28 am

Big Mac wrote:
George.Fields wrote:S3 is the only one of the S-series that never had a hacked version.

Ah - The Great Fissure! Thanks George. I don't think I would have spotted that myself.
I'm not sure anybody did until David Kenzer himself pointed it out.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Sat May 11, 2013 11:50 pm

Ok, so I'm looking at the Atlas but I don't see the Great Fissure, supposed to be near Dijshy. Anyone want to help me find it?

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Sun May 12, 2013 3:44 am

I don't think it's actually on the map. You'll have to read between the lines in the text description.

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Sun May 12, 2013 4:06 am

George.Fields wrote:I don't think it's actually on the map. You'll have to read between the lines in the text description.
Yea, I read that, I was just hoping it might be on the map in the Atlas. No biggie, I can place it... ;)

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Sun May 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Also, its not the Great Fissure. Read the next paragraph. ;)

Greylond
Bugbear

Post by Greylond » Sun May 12, 2013 4:00 pm

George.Fields wrote:Also, its not the Great Fissure. Read the next paragraph. ;)
Well, I would if I could find the box that my 3.0 KoK setting book is in. Still haven't unpacked everything after the move into this new apartment... ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Greylond wrote:
George.Fields wrote:Also, its not the Great Fissure. Read the next paragraph. ;)
Well, I would if I could find the box that my 3.0 KoK setting book is in. Still haven't unpacked everything after the move into this new apartment... ;)
Next paragraph? So is it Nickel Basin, rather than The Great Fissure, George?

(Nickel Basin is in he southeastern Elos Desert, Greylond.)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue May 21, 2013 10:18 pm

For a second, I read "Nickel Basin" as "Nickelback". Although "Burn it to the Ground" would make sense. ;)

I knew Kalamar's crashed spacecraft was somewhere in the Elos Desert. Just not sure exactly where. :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

George.Fields
Hobgoblin

Post by George.Fields » Tue May 21, 2013 10:31 pm

You'll notice the Nickel Basin talks about deformed creatures and people getting sick: radiation.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 21, 2013 11:39 pm

George.Fields wrote:You'll notice the Nickel Basin talks about deformed creatures and people getting sick: radiation.
Ah, right. Thanks.

I got confused by the "artefacts of an ancient culture" found in The Great Fissure. I thought they might be some sort of sci-fi style technological items.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Jolly Blackburn started a thread at the Kenzer & Co forums about Kalamar's Moons and their phases. That might be worth looking at.

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”