Is Living Kingdoms of Kalamar: Pekal Gazetteer any good?

Feel the grit between your teeth, taste the blood in your mouth and smell the laurels of success.

Moderator: night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Is Living Kingdoms of Kalamar: Pekal Gazetteer any good?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm thinking of getting Living Kingdoms of Kalamar: Pekal Gazetteer, for the non-LKoK content, but wonder how good the book will be for me.

I know that the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer gives great value to non LG players (with only a tiny fraction of the book being only useful to LG players). What is the deal with this book?

Does it have Living Campaign specific rules, like Metaorganisations you have to pay Turn Units to join? If there is any stuff like that, how much work would it be to convert it for normal tabletop play?

Is this the definitive resource on Pekal is there a better book out there?

I saw mention of a couple of adventures. Are they LKoK specific or would they work with standard 3rd Edition rules? Are the adventures found anywhere else?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Is Living Kingdoms of Kalamar: Pekal Gazetteer any good?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:34 am

Big Mac wrote:I'm thinking of getting Living Kingdoms of Kalamar: Pekal Gazetteer, for the non-LKoK content, but wonder how good the book will be for me.
I ended up deciding to take a gamble on this book. I am not disapointed.
Big Mac wrote:I know that the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer gives great value to non LG players (with only a tiny fraction of the book being only useful to LG players). What is the deal with this book?
This is a 64 page book (with maps printed inside both covers). The sections that are only useful to Living Kingdoms of Kalamar players are: the Forword (page 2), The Living Campaign (3 paragraphs on pages 3 and 4), Chapter Six: Campaign Rules and Character Creation* (pages 33-35), the Living Kingdoms of Kalamar Event Sheet (page 58) and the Living Kingdoms of Kalamar Magic Log Sheet (page 59). So that is just over six pages of stuff out of sixty four pages, so about 10 percent of the book.

* = Chapter Six might still be useful for inspiration for creating characters, even if a GM running a home campaign does not need to stick to it. The limitation on learning one spell per game session, in the "Spell Use" section, might be a good house rule, for some GMs. The restriction on "Feats" could work for someone who requires PCs to take "training" to gain Feats, as it could reflect the Feats that can be learned from NPC trainers in Pekal.
Big Mac wrote:Does it have Living Campaign specific rules, like Metaorganisations you have to pay Turn Units to join? If there is any stuff like that, how much work would it be to convert it for normal tabletop play?
I didn't see anything about Metaorganisations or Turn Units in Living Kingdoms of Kalamar: Pekal Gazetteer. Both Chapter Three: PC Occupations and Pekalese Society has organisations that PCs can join and Chapter Four: NPC Organisations of Pekal has some organisations barred from Living Kingdoms of Kalamar play, that a GM might also want to use. Chapter Five: The Honorable and the Law has a number of organisations too, and PCs can only join some of them.

Chapter Three: PC Occupations and Pekalese Society

There are 5 "Might and Muscle" organisations that only Barbarians, Brigands**, Fighters, Gladiators and Rangers can join:
  • Castle of Honor,
  • Riders of the Lance,
  • Steel Ribbons,
  • The Blooded and
  • Warriors of the Emerald Wave.
** = This character class is from Living Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Guide.

There are 3 "Darkness and Deception" organisations that only Basiran Dancers***, Bards, Infiltrators** and Rogues can join:
  • The Thieves' Guild of Bet Rogala,
  • The Grey Legion and
  • The Edge.
** = These character classes are from Living Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Guide.

Sorcerers, Spellsingers** and Wizards can only join the 1 "Mysteries of Magic" organisation: the College of Magic and there are 2 societies, within the College of Magic:
  • Thrin Chor and
  • Vr Mindrel.

There are
"Deities and Devotions" organisations that only Clerics, Druids, Monks, Paladins and Shamen** can join. These were divided into four different sizes of religious organisations (Cathedrals, Large Temples, Temples and Shrines).

There are 2 Cathedrals:
  • The Riftmaster (Hokalas) and
  • The Pure One (Lelani).
There are 4 Large Temples:
  • Knight of the Gods (Deb'fo),
  • The Holy Mother (Taladari),
  • The Eternal Landern (Dirasip),
  • The Raiser (Regorike).
There are 4 Temples (these are in the Elven City of Cilorealon):
  • The Great Huntress (Kalenadil),
  • The Coddler (B'Neli),
  • Master of Stealth (Rigel) and
  • Eye Opener (Lokalas).
And there are

Major Shrines:
  • The True (Fapeki),
  • The Peacemaker (P'Rofali),
  • Lord of the Silver Linings (Selanadi),
  • Raconeur (Pinini),
  • The Founder (Sobati),
  • Powermaster (Sitiri),
  • The Landlord (Golidirin)
The book says that clerics of other religions do travel into Pekal, but that PCs who play clerics of those religions in Pekal do not get equal treatment. It also says that evil clerics are not mentioned, and that their organisations are only available to NPCs. So there are might be some other Cathedrals, Large Temples, Temples and Shrines in the area that a GM might want to use. :?

Chapter Four: NPC Organisations of Pekal

This chapter lists 9 organisations that PCs know about, but can not join:
  • The Blackfoot Society,
  • The Secret Network of the Blue Salamander,
  • Brotherhood of the Broken Chain,
  • Daughters of the Dawn,
  • The Disciples of the Avrynner
  • Disciples of the Creator,
  • The Golden Alliance,
  • Guardians of the Hidden Flame and
  • Sentinels of the True Way.
These are listed as organisations that Living Kingdoms of Kalamar PCs are allowed to use as adversaries. Tokis spies are also mentioned.

Chapter Five: The Honorable and the Law

This chapter starts off with a section about the Honorable, which is pretty much the upper class of the Principality of Pekal. The five sections of the Honorable are:
  • The Nobility,
  • The Knights of the Realm (which is made up of the Knights of Arcarnum and the Knights of the Fate),
  • The Bet Rogala City Watch (which also seems to be called the "Watchers of Twilight"),
  • The Principality Guard (which also seems to be called the "Guardians of the Golden Bough") and
  • The Army of Pekal.
Player characters could be Knights of the Realm (either type - although there are only ever 13 Knights of the Fate for some reason), members of the Watchers of Twilight or members of the Guardians of the Golden Bough, in Living Kingdoms of Kalamar. They could not be nobles and the army was not mentioned.

I would be inclined to make the Bet Rogala City Watch and the Watchers of Twilight into two different things, and do the same with the Principality Guard and the Guardians of the Golden Bough.
Big Mac wrote:Is this the definitive resource on Pekal is there a better book out there?
I don't have an answer for that yet, but it looks like this is the best book for the job. There is also a section about the Principality of Pekal on pages 53-56 of the Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting, but it only really covers Bet Rogala and Baneta.
Big Mac wrote:I saw mention of a couple of adventures. Are they LKoK specific or would they work with standard 3rd Edition rules? Are the adventures found anywhere else?
The two adventures are:
  • Old Honor (pages 36-43) and
  • The Steel Guard (pages 43-47).
The adventures are backed up by statblocks in Appendix A (pages 48-51).

I've only skimmed them, without reading them, but they look like they could be used without Living Kingdoms of Kalamar.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Kingdoms of Kalamar”