FRA1 Storm Riders

Between East and West, between Earth and Sky, lies the Endless Waste.

FRA1 Storm Riders

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:44 am

Has anyone run FRA1 Storm Riders?

What do you think of it? How well does it fit in with the rest of the product line for The Horde?

Are there any unique locations in the adventure that can be reused outside of the plot in the book?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: FRA1 Storm Riders

Postby Boneguard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:51 am

I own the whole serie but never got to play it.

Overall, I find the adventure and the serie interesting despite some railroading in the second one. It fits well with the Hordes box set as the invasion is set in the backdrop.

The books details Kazari in a lot more detail the Kara-Tur does and there's à couple good ruins, temples and Shou Cities that could easily be used outside of this product.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Boneguard wrote:I own the whole serie but never got to play it.

Overall, I find the adventure and the serie interesting despite some railroading in the second one. It fits well with the Hordes box set as the invasion is set in the backdrop.

Thanks for the feedback.

I know what you mean about railroading. There is a central plot that requires The Horde to try to sweep across the rest of Faerûn. There isn't really much that can be done about that. But I was wondering if there were other things that could be done with The Horde (like battles between tribes) or something like an attack on The Hordelands by outsiders.

Boneguard wrote:The books details Kazari in a lot more detail the Kara-Tur does and there's à couple good ruins, temples and Shou Cities that could easily be used outside of this product.

Thanks. That sounds a little bit more useful to Kara-Tur fans than fans of The Horde.

I wonder if it would be possible to have adventures where the people of Kara-Tur try to expand westward (and build fortified towns) or a plot where a lord in one of the countries of Kara-Tur tries to raise an army of mercenaries from The Hordelands, in order to attack the caravans of other lands.

How much of the book do you think gives you details that could be used outside the original plotline?

Are there a lot of NPCs from The Horde (or from Kara-Tur) that could be lifted?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boneguard » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:18 am

Big Mac wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

I know what you mean about railroading. There is a central plot that requires The Horde to try to sweep across the rest of Faerûn. There isn't really much that can be done about that. But I was wondering if there were other things that could be done with The Horde (like battles between tribes) or something like an attack on The Hordelands by outsiders.

That yes it is possible. You could technically make abstraction of the Horde and assume it's simply a tribe or a couple tribes causing trouble in the area. They also give a good description of one corner of the Steppes so you could have waring tribes, Faerunian or Zhakaran coming up from the Utter East (which is dead south of the Steppes) or you could have people from Mulhurand, Thay or Rasheman pushing East nito the Steppes and into Western tribes' territory.

Big Mac wrote:Thanks. That sounds a little bit more useful to Kara-Tur fans than fans of The Horde.

Actually, to a certain extend it's more of a Kara-Tur than a Horde module, so would be quite useful in most Kara-Tur setting along the Dragonwall...a bit like the Tabot stuff in Dungeon #8

Big Mac wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to have adventures where the people of Kara-Tur try to expand westward (and build fortified towns) or a plot where a lord in one of the countries of Kara-Tur tries to raise an army of mercenaries from The Hordelands, in order to attack the caravans of other lands.

That would work perfectly, these modules would help as they describe a lot of the peripheral area, which would be good place to strike at caravans.

Big Mac wrote:How much of the book do you think gives you details that could be used outside the original plotline?

Suprisingly, quite a lot could be used outside of the main ploteline. The Nation of Khazari (modeled on Nepal) could always be used. The Ruined (and Haunted) Imperial City up north, could be used for many adventures and dungeon crawl (and the Monsters/Boss descrption would help a lot there too. And the Ruin of the former empire just east of Kazari (Imagine a ruined Indian or Persan nation) could be used outside of the module.

Big Mac wrote:Are there a lot of NPCs from The Horde (or from Kara-Tur) that could be lifted?

Most NPCs could be lifted and reused either in Khazari or the Steppes or easily reskinned (monks, sohei, Wu-jen) to be used in other Oriental Nations.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Return to The Horde