[The Horde] What did the Spellplague do to the Horde area?

Between East and West, between Earth and Sky, lies the Endless Waste.

[The Horde] What did the Spellplague do to the Horde area?

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:53 am

I don't know enough about The Horde. And I know very very little about the Spellplague.

Does anyone know what the Spellplague and the 4e time jump have done to the area from The Horde subsetting?

Has it been swapped out for something else (like Returned Abeir got swapped for Maztica)?

Has it sunk below the sea or been driven up into a new mountain range (or otherwise made uninhabitable)?

Has the population been wiped out by disease?

D&D campaign settings tend to label cultures like the ones from The Horde as uncivilised (or even barbaric), but I would have thought that they were the best equipped to deal with situations where a setting gets hit with world shattering events. Civilised cities can be destroyed, but a nomadic camp is designed to be portable. If a tribe's "town" was not blasted instantly out of existence, they should be able to pack up and move away from most threats (even if that means a long trek of thousands of miles). And if one tribe is killed by disease, the others should be OK.

So I would expect The Horde to be there in some form. But what is the actual 4e canon for them?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [The Horde] What did the Spellplague do to the Horde are

Postby Bouv » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:25 pm

I think it's been mentioned in other places but 4E really didn't touch upon other aspects of the Realms besides Maztica (bye-bye). Kara-Tur, the Hordelands, and Zakhara weren't even mentioned in the books. But I would suspect that overall, they did well as you said, being nomadic they can easily pick up the pieces and move elsewhere.
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby crimson jester » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:14 am

I know what I would do with it. They got hungry and ate all the draconborn.
crimson jester
Kobold

Postby Cthulhudrew » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:08 am

There's an article in this month's Dragon magazine that talks about playing Hordelands characters. Perhaps it might mention something about the post-Spellplague Hordelands (I'm not a subscriber, so I couldn't say for sure.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby night_druid » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:48 am

If WotC's pattern holds, the Hordelands were transported to Abeir and some new race(s) were deposited in the same place.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:01 pm

I'm not sure what a "Character Theme" is, but it sounds far more like a 2e Kit than a 3e Prestige Class. :?

If there is a theme called Hordelands nomad, I think that must prove that the Hordelands still exists in the 4e era. Perhaps Returned Abeir was a plotline that was specifically aimed at removing Maztica and the other FR subsettings are all still there.

The fact that an element of The Horde has appeared in an article called: Fringes of Kara-Tur makes me suspect that WotC have decided to "write off" The Horde as a "suburb" of Kara Tur, rather than continue to view it as a setting in its own right.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Maybe its been changed to be Panda-people riding cocobos? ;)
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Or maybe it's Tinker Gnomes on Giant Hampsters.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby night_druid » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Azaghal wrote:Or maybe it's Tinker Gnomes on Giant Hampsters.

Too whimsical and creative. At best, gnomes on mechanical striders, er, cocobos...;)
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Azaghal » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:51 pm

night_druid wrote:
Azaghal wrote:Or maybe it's Tinker Gnomes on Giant Hampsters.

Too whimsical and creative. At best, gnomes on mechanical striders, er, cocobos...;)

Infernal Tinker Gnomes on Bolos?
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Oqlanth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:01 pm

The hordelands stays after 4e. But as far as I remembered they removed all the 'setlements' in the area. Only 'new' settlement called 'Uzbeq' mentioned...According to 4e FR Campaign book, during Spellplague all the settlements swalloped by Lake of Mists and poor (survived) Raumvirans established.

Also Yaimunnahar and Kourmira also still exists in 4e.
Al Qadim Facebook fan page;
http://www.facebook.com/groups/al.qadim/
Oqlanth
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Oqlanth wrote:The hordelands stays after 4e. But as far as I remembered they removed all the 'setlements' in the area. Only 'new' settlement called 'Uzbeq' mentioned...According to 4e FR Campaign book, during Spellplague all the settlements swalloped by Lake of Mists and poor (survived) Raumvirans established.

Also Yaimunnahar and Kourmira also still exists in 4e.

I didn't realise the Lake of Mists hit the area. Was that a temporary thing or is it still there?

Do you know if WotC made any post-Spellplage maps for that area?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Oqlanth » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:31 pm

I think it seems temporary because in 4e there is a small town called Uzbeg which was built by surviving Raumvirans at shores of the lake.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Uzbeg

You can see map of 4e Lake of Mist there. It is slightly different than previous one;

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lake_of_Mists

You can found slightly bigger version of map and information at 4e FR Campaign Guide at pg. 142-143
Al Qadim Facebook fan page;
http://www.facebook.com/groups/al.qadim/
Oqlanth
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Oqlanth wrote:I think it seems temporary because in 4e there is a small town called Uzbeg which was built by surviving Raumvirans at shores of the lake.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Uzbeg

You can see map of 4e Lake of Mist there. It is slightly different than previous one;

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lake_of_Mists

Thanks. I understand better now. I see that the Lake of Mists was always there, but expanded in size during the Spellplague.

Oqlanth wrote:You can found slightly bigger version of map and information at 4e FR Campaign Guide at pg. 142-143

I don't have FRCG yet, but might pick up a copy if it becomes dirt-cheap, just so that I can reverse-engineer details from it.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Horde