[The Horde] Potential Monsters for the setting.

Between East and West, between Earth and Sky, lies the Endless Waste.

[The Horde] Potential Monsters for the setting.

Postby Seethyr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Ive been hunting around on the web for monsters that may apply nicely to the Horde setting given its Mongolian roots. Here's a fun cryptid that might apply and I'll post others if I come across them.

Mongolian Death Worm
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Re: [The Horde] Potential Monsters for the setting.

Postby night_druid » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Griffons supposedly originated from the Mongolia/Gobi Desert region, which were inspired by the bones of a type of triceratops dinosaur. So griffons and some dinosaurs?
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Seethyr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 pm

Yes, it seems it was the protoceratops. Many fossils were found.

Here are a few more including the griffin-like creature. Be wary, the writers language is slightly inappropriate and childish.

Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby crimson jester » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:57 am

So I have been wondering, since I have a copy of the Horde but am lacking the monsters that were included. I guess there was originally 8 pages of monsters included in the set and then an enhancement in dragon of an additional 4 critters. I have the copy of dragon and have "the Hoard for the Horde" but does anyone know what were the original 8 pages of Monstrous Manual critters I am missing??
crimson jester
Kobold

Postby Seethyr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:28 am

crimson jester wrote:So I have been wondering, since I have a copy of the Horde but am lacking the monsters that were included. I guess there was originally 8 pages of monsters included in the set and then an enhancement in dragon of an additional 4 critters. I have the copy of dragon and have "the Hoard for the Horde" but does anyone know what were the original 8 pages of Monstrous Manual critters I am missing??

I think these are them but I am not 100% sure.

Learned Ones
Centaur, Nomadic
Horse, Nars
Horse, Steppe
Horse, Semphari
Horse, Sosser
Horse, Raurin
Manggus
Monkey
Shatjan
Shimnus

Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Seethyr wrote:Ive been hunting around on the web for monsters that may apply nicely to the Horde setting given its Mongolian roots. Here's a fun cryptid that might apply and I'll post others if I come across them.

Mongolian Death Worm

I think the original Wikipedia page for Mongolian Death Worm looks a lot better. You should be able to create the monster's attacks from the Habitat and behavior section:
Habitat and behavior wrote:The worm is said to inhabit the southern Gobi Desert. The Mongolians say that the olgoi-khorkhoi can kill at a distance, either by spraying an acid-like substance or by using an electrical discharge. They say that the worm lives underground, hibernating most of the year except for when it becomes active in June and July. It is reported that this animal is mostly seen on the surface when it rains and the ground is wet.

The Mongolians also believe that touching any part of the worm will cause instant death. Its venom supposedly corrodes metal and local folklore tells of a predilection for the color yellow. The worm is also said to have a preference for local parasitic plants such as the goyo.

There is also a webpage called Olgoi-Khorkhoi on a website called Unknown Explorers.

Unknown Explorers also has some artwork depicting a death worm employing its lightning and spitting attacks. (With death worms being able to make one of these attacks from each end, they seem a little bit similar to a bonnacon to me! :lol: )

The monster was used for Final Fantasy XI and it looks like Adventure Games Publishing has already covered the Olgoi-Khorkhoi for the C&C system. C&C is fairly similar to D&D, so it should be possible to adapt that.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:23 pm

What animals are native to the Gobi desert? I'd imagine that monsters would be at least inspired by those animals. I can imagine there'd be large numbers of herd animals (horses, camels, sheep, goats), hawks, insects, aracnids, some reptiles, wolves, foxes, various rodents, and maybe some big cats.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Seethyr wrote:Here are a few more including the griffin-like creature. Be wary, the writers language is slightly inappropriate and childish.

It certainly was written a bit badly. Perhaps some searching with the individual monster names can turn up more information.

6 Mongolian Mythical Creatures
  • Нисдэг Морь (The Winged Horse): A search for the first text brought up a page on Webster's Online Dictionary for flyer and the person writing the page you have found seems to have gone between the translation for "flyer trotter" and "flyer". If we go with the "flyer trotter" phrase, we get a transliterations in Mongol: khatirtay morʹ. I can't find anything for that, but a search for "Mongolian Winged Horse", brings up a Wikipeia article called Wind Horse. The English transliteration of the name of the flying horse is "Khiimori". I certainly get a picture of the flying horse in the Mongolian flag if I search for this last word, and I think it is a good name for a Horde version of a Pegasus.

You could have a magical instrument called morin khuur (which could summon Khiimori if a bard tells the legend of the original Wind Horse and its rider).
  • Хадны Мангаа (The Rock Monster): Not sure if it counts as a Mongolian rock monster, but there is a Chinese story about a rock monster, called Theodus, that saved a village from a Mongolian attack.
  • Алмас (The Hairy One)
  • Арван Таван Толгойтой Атгаалжин Хар Мангас (The Sinful Black Monster with 15 Head): "15 Headed Monster" is a bit vague for D&D, but it is probably the only critter of its type in Mongolian culture. I've found a two part video:
  • Хангарьд (King Garid?)
  • Олгой хорхой (The Death Worm; Intestine Worm): This one is already done.

EDIT: Video for 15 headed monster found. (If you think he looks weird, wait till you see his family! :lol: )
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Seethyr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:38 pm

night_druid wrote:What animals are native to the Gobi desert? I'd imagine that monsters would be at least inspired by those animals. I can imagine there'd be large numbers of herd animals (horses, camels, sheep, goats), hawks, insects, aracnids, some reptiles, wolves, foxes, various rodents, and maybe some big cats.

Here we go. I'm a fan of the jerboa personally and think an anthropomorphic race of these mice could make a nice new edition (perhaps even a werejerboa). The presence of the Ibex means the Ibixian from the Fiend Foliio (3e) would probably make another appropriate race for the setting.

Big Mac wrote:
Seethyr wrote:Here are a few more including the griffin-like creature. Be wary, the writers language is slightly inappropriate and childish.

It certainly was written a bit badly. Perhaps some searching with the individual monster names can turn up more information.

• Нисдэг Морь (The Winged Horse): A search for the first text brought up a page on Webster's Online Dictionary for flyer and the person writing the page you have found seems to have gone between the translation for "flyer trotter" and "flyer". If we go with the "flyer trotter" phrase, we get a transliterations in Mongol: khatirtay morʹ. I can't find anything for that, but a search for "Mongolian Winged Horse", brings up a Wikipeia article called Wind Horse. The English transliteration of the name of the flying horse is "Khiimori". I certainly get a picture of the flying horse in the Mongolian flag if I search for this last word, and I think it is a good name for a Horde version of a Pegasus.

You could have a magical instrument called morin khuur (which could summon Khiimori if a bard tells the legend of the original Wind Horse and its rider).
  • Хадны Мангаа (The Rock Monster): Not sure if it counts as a Mongolian rock monster, but there is a Chinese story about a rock monster, called Theodus, that saved a village from a Mongolian attack.
  • Алмас (The Hairy One)
  • Арван Таван Толгойтой Атгаалжин Хар Мангас (The Sinful Black Monster with 15 Head)
  • Хангарьд (King Garid?)

Ahh nice. I am going to have to work on my google-fu a bit as I was having troubles finding much else on these creatures. I'm particularly interested in finding out about why the black monster with 15 heads is sinful. Maybe he read the Aztec novel?

Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby night_druid » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Seethyr wrote:Here we go. I'm a fan of the jerboa personally and think an anthropomorphic race of these mice could make a nice new edition (perhaps even a werejerboa). The presence of the Ibex means the Ibixian from the Fiend Foliio (3e) would probably make another appropriate race for the setting.

Jerboa sound like a nice replacement for halflings. Or goblins.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

• Алмас (The Hairy One)
  • Арван Таван Толгойтой Атгаалжин Хар Мангас (The Sinful Black Monster with 15 Head)
  • Хангарьд (King Garid?)

Ahh nice. I am going to have to work on my google-fu a bit as I was having troubles finding much else on these creatures. I'm particularly interested in finding out about why the black monster with 15 heads is sinful. Maybe he read the Aztec novel?

I actually used up all my Google-fu powers on the first two critters and didn't research anything for the other three new ones.

I'll try to do some more and edit my original post, when I find something about one or more of them.

I think that some of the names in the source you referred to there have not be translated totally correctly. Maybe it was "Evil Black Monster with 15 heads". I've updated my post.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 pm

night_druid wrote:
Seethyr wrote:Here we go. I'm a fan of the jerboa personally and think an anthropomorphic race of these mice could make a nice new edition (perhaps even a werejerboa). The presence of the Ibex means the Ibixian from the Fiend Foliio (3e) would probably make another appropriate race for the setting.

"Jeboa" is the name of the critter, so maybe you need to change it a bit to be the name of an anthroanimal version. "Jeboafolk" perhaps. :? (Or "Jeboamen" if you don't like the way that WotC changed "Lizardmen" to "Lizardfolk".)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:

"Jeboa" is the name of the critter, so maybe you need to change it a bit to be the name of an anthroanimal version. "Jeboafolk" perhaps. :? (Or "Jeboamen" if you don't like the way that WotC changed "Lizardmen" to "Lizardfolk".)

Bleh, -folk is overused. It was cute for lizardmen but quickly wore out its welcome. I'd just modify Jerboa around. :)
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:03 pm

crimson jester wrote:So I have been wondering, since I have a copy of the Horde but am lacking the monsters that were included. I guess there was originally 8 pages of monsters included in the set and then an enhancement in dragon of an additional 4 critters. I have the copy of dragon and have "the Hoard for the Horde" but does anyone know what were the original 8 pages of Monstrous Manual critters I am missing??

The Horde was free to download on the WotC website. Shame you did not grab it, when you realised you had missing monster sheets.

See my: Other The Horde Websites (& Free Downloads) for an archived copy of the PDF. The monsters are on pages 182-189 of the file.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Oqlanth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Tepegöz, actually cyclops cross-breed of human and a fae (peri).
Al Qadim Facebook fan page;
http://www.facebook.com/groups/al.qadim/
Oqlanth
Orc

Return to The Horde