Murghôm Campaign Setting (fanon netbook)

Between East and West, between Earth and Sky, lies the Endless Waste.

Murghôm Campaign Setting (fanon netbook)

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:22 pm

I've just stumbled onto a fanon netbook called Murghôm Campaign Setting. It may be of some interest to some of you.

It seems to be an area bordering The Hordelands, but there is not a map, so I'm not totally sure yet.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Murghôm Campaign Setting (fanon netbook)

Postby night_druid » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:10 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've just stumbled onto a fanon netbook called Murghôm Campaign Setting. It may be of some interest to some of you.

It seems to be an area bordering The Hordelands, but there is not a map, so I'm not totally sure yet.

Murghom is a country sandwiched between Mulhorand and the Hordelands.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Just found a section called "The Countries" on pages 15-17 of The Horde Volume I that says that Murghôm is one of the countries on the border of the Endless Waste:

The Countries wrote:Along the southern edge of the Endless Waste are several countries that have had a larger impact on the nomadic tribes. These countries, from west to east, are Murghom, Semphar, Solon, Ra-Khati, and Khazari.
Murghom, separated by the Mountains of Cop- per and the Shaalhoond from the steppe, is little. known to the nomads. However, it is the major rival of Semphar. Murghom is under the influence of ancient Mulhorand and is so only semi- independent. Its greatest asset is the Mountains of Copper. Refined ore is shipped from there. Most goes to Mulhorand, but some is carried by traders to the Ejen Horo where it is sold to the horsemen. More information can be found on Murghom in the encyclopedia sections and in FR10: Old Empires.

From what I can tell, 3e FR seems to have "absorbed" some of The Horde into mainstream FR (but not taken all of it).
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:08 am

I always loved this fanon netbook. In official canon, the people of Murghôm worship the Mulhorandi (Egyptian) canon, but the unique religion introduced in this netbook is more interesting to me.

Interesting fact: the god Myrkul was Prince of Murghôm in his mortal days (according to Dungeon #170).
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:42 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:I always loved this fanon netbook. In official canon, the people of Murghôm worship the Mulhorandi (Egyptian) canon, but the unique religion introduced in this netbook is more interesting to me.

Thanks for the link. From what I can see Murghôm is deliberately a blending of the nomadic horse culture of the main Hordelands area with the civilisation (and religion) of Mulhorandi.

The fact that Zindalankh has a Shou Town is going to be pretty useful to a campaign set in The Horde area, as it means the city can be a source of Shou Lung NPCs (or, with the GM's permission PCs).

I love the idea that the merchants of Dhaztanar lobbied to make the Rauthenflow navigable and that has pushed Zindalankh into decline (and towards breaking from Murghôm and becoming independent). I think that gives the city (and the area) a lot of potential.

Will Zindalankh get taken over completely by pirates? Will it become a "city state" ruled by a pirate lord?

Will it try to cut deals with nomadic tribes from the Hordelands, to try to regain some of the trade lost when the Rauthenflow became a shipping route? Will it become the "black market" traderoute to Shou Lung and Faerûn?

Will the Shou Town become a more and more important part of Zindalankh, until Zindalankh becomes something similar to a Thayan Enclave on the edge of the Hordelands?

It would certainly be nice if Samy Merchi was continuing to work on Murghôm (and perhaps the other "unsupported" nations on the boarders of The Horde).

ripvanwormer wrote:Interesting fact: the god Myrkul was Prince of Murghôm in his mortal days (according to Dungeon #170).

That certainly is interesting. I would guess that Myrkul might have a pool of worshipers in Murghôm, The Hordelands and/or Mulhorandi. Does Dungeon 170 give us any additional information?

Was he a native of Murghyr (or was the capital different back when he was alive)?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Horde