Applying the Supplements

Between East and West, between Earth and Sky, lies the Endless Waste.

Applying the Supplements

Postby Seethyr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:16 am

There are so many good concepts in the variety of supplemental books that came out in 3.x. Where do you think concepts like Binders (and vestiges), Truenamers, Warlocks, Psions, Incarnum and soulmelds, Weapons of Legacy, etc. could be used?

I was thinking the Endless Waste would be a great place to have the source of all incarnum. Also, some of the weapons in the history of the Horde would make great Weapons of Legacy...
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Re: Applying the Supplements

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:26 am

Seethyr wrote:I was thinking the Endless Waste would be a great place to have the source of all incarnum.

I said the same thing about Greyhawk back in May. :lol:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Seethyr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:35 am

Big Mac wrote:
Seethyr wrote:I was thinking the Endless Waste would be a great place to have the source of all incarnum.

I said the same thing about Greyhawk back in May. :lol:

I knew I remembered that discussion from somewhere lol.

I'd like to start a flame-off here by saying Horde > Greyhawk but unfortunately I don't actually feel that way. Grrrrrrrr..... :twisted:

Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby night_druid » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:36 am

If I knew what any of that stuff was, I could probably make suggestions. As it is, its all greek to me. ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Seethyr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:48 am

night_druid wrote:If I knew what any of that stuff was, I could probably make suggestions. As it is, its all greek to me. ;)

Id highly recommend the Tome of Magic. I think the binder class was a real gem that came about too close to 4e to get a chance to shine.

In a nutshell, the class contacts and forges pacts with beings known as vestiges that exist completely outside the known multiverse. In exchange for temporarily sharing their souls and experiences with the vestige, the binder is given a wide variety of powers that depend upon which vestige is bound for that day.

The versatility is so much fun as you can be the tank one day, a rogue-like character the next, etc.

Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby night_druid » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:28 am

Interesting. So what's the goal here? How to tie it in? Just remember, you're talking a Mongel-inspired culture (and probably like cultures, such as the Huns). Not terribly sophisticated; oral traditions over libraries. Not too much in the way of metal (forge being too heavy for nomadic tribes to carry). Strength in overwhelming numbers. Spears, bows, and javelins will be the preferred weapons. Etc.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby True_Atlantean » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:48 am

Seethyr wrote:
night_druid wrote:If I knew what any of that stuff was, I could probably make suggestions. As it is, its all greek to me. ;)

Id highly recommend the Tome of Magic. I think the binder class was a real gem that came about too close to 4e to get a chance to shine.

In a nutshell, the class contacts and forges pacts with beings known as vestiges that exist completely outside the known multiverse. In exchange for temporarily sharing their souls and experiences with the vestige, the binder is given a wide variety of powers that depend upon which vestige is bound for that day.

The versatility is so much fun as you can be the tank one day, a rogue-like character the next, etc.

The class sounds awesome - I've never encountered it before. Would you consider that this class is quite widespread, or perhaps limited to a small cabal/secret society/brotherhood? Having a concept like this that works on family lines could be quite interesting.
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.
True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Postby Seethyr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 am

night_druid wrote:Interesting. So what's the goal here? How to tie it in? Just remember, you're talking a Mongel-inspired culture (and probably like cultures, such as the Huns). Not terribly sophisticated; oral traditions over libraries. Not too much in the way of metal (forge being too heavy for nomadic tribes to carry). Strength in overwhelming numbers. Spears, bows, and javelins will be the preferred weapons. Etc.

Very true, but I don't think that would negate the existence of some of these extra classes. In addition to what I was thinking in the OP, perhaps a warlock develops his powers because of a pact with some ancient evil remnant of the Nars and becomes an outcast among his people.

There was also a terrible creature in the Horde past known as the Copper Tyrant of Tros that might make a good vestige. Totemists from the Magic of Incarnum might work great in a horde-like setting and there may be some new and exciting soulmelds. I'm really just looking for ideas specific to the actual FR Horde, or generic to a Mongolian horselord type setting.

True_Atlantean wrote:
Seethyr wrote:

The class sounds awesome - I've never encountered it before. Would you consider that this class is quite widespread, or perhaps limited to a small cabal/secret society/brotherhood? Having a concept like this that works on family lines could be quite interesting.

Its a pretty universally despised class (in game that is, not by players) because it is often seen as the height of heresy. In fact there is a society known as the Order of Seraopinians that has three gods of opposing alignments working together to eliminate the binder threat. Apparently, binders keep their abilities heavily on the down low. They also have their own secret society.

Seethyr
Frost Giant

Return to The Horde