[Kulan] Knightfall's Mirrored Cosmology

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

ICESHARD Campaign Setting

Post by Knightfall » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:56 am

Circumference: 50,000 miles | Highest Peak: 60,000 ft. | Lowest Depth: -65.6168 ft

ICESHARD Campaign Setting [Dungeons and Dragons v.3.5]
Here is the Altitude Map for the Iceshard Campaign Setting (world name: TBD). This world is damn cold and very inhospitable. There are smatterings of tropical shrublands near the equator surrounding the sea-lakes, but the rest of the world is desert, boreal or alpine forest, tundra or alpine, or ice.

Note that none of the sea-lakes get any deeper than 65.6 feet while the peaks reach as high as 60,000 feet. The world is large compared to a standard Earth-like world, but it doesn't reach the 'massivity' of Almagra.

The poles are dominated by the Frost Folk (from D&D Frostburn [will not be a PC race]) and all of the variant races from that sourcebook are the common demihuman races of the world. It is the D&D PHB v.3.5 races that are rarer, yet they are still considered standard PC races (see below).

D&D Sandstorm will also be important for this world; however, the variant races from that book won't be a part of Iceshard (except for the Scabland Half-Orc). However, I am including the two new races described in the book — Asherati and Bhuka — since the world does have tropical terrain. D&D Stormwrack won't be as useful for the outer world, but it will influence the Underhollows.

PC RACES FOR ICESHARD
Common: Centaur (RotW) *, Bhuka (SS), Bugbear (MM), Domovoi (FB), Glacier Dwarf (FB), Gnoll (RotW), Goliath (RoS), Half-Orc (PHB), Harssaf (MM3), Hobgoblin (MM), Human (PHB), Ice Gnome (FB), Neanderthal (FB), Snow Elf (FB), Snow Goblin (FB), Troll (MM), Tundra Halfling (FB), and Uldra (FB).

Uncommon: Armand (MM3), Catfolk (RotW), Duergar (MM) **, Dwarf (PHB), Feral Gargun (RoS), Flind (MM3), Goatfolk (MM3), Hadozee (SW), Half-Elf (PHB), Half-Ogre (RoD), Minotaur (MM), Mountain Dwarf (MM), Scablands Half-Orc (SS), Stonechild (RoS), Svirfneblin (MM) **, and Vazalkyon (MM3).

Rare: Asherati (SS), Chaos Gnome (RoS), Darfellan (SW), Deep Dwarf (MM) **, Deep Halfling (MM) **, Doppelganger (RoD), Draconic Creature [Template] (RotD), Drow (MM) **, Elf (PHB), Gargoyle (MM), Halfling (PHB), Half-Dragon [Template] (MM), Kobold (RotD) **, Mongrelfolk (RoD), Ogre (MM), Orc (MM), Sand Giant (MM3), and Underfolk (RoD) **.

Very Rare: Aasimar (RoD), Aquatic Elf (SW) **, Aventi (SW) **, Crystalline Troll (MM3), Dragonborn (of Bahamut) (RotD), Dream Dwarf (RoS) **, Gray Elf (MM) **, Gnome (PHB), Illumian (RoD), Kenku (MM3) **, Killoren (RotW) **, Raptoran (RotW) **, Sea Kin (RoD) **, Sharakim (RoD), Shoal Halfling (SW) **, Skulk (RoD) **, Skullcrusher Ogre (MM3), Spellscales (RotD), Tiefling (RoD), Troglodyte (MM) **, and Whisper Gnome (RoS) **.
FB = Frostburn; MM = Monster Manual v.3.5; MM3 = Monster Manual III; PHB = Player's Handbook v.3.5; RoD = Races of Destiny; RoS = Races of Stone; RotD = Races of the Dragon; RotW = Races of the Wild; SS = Sandstorm; and SW = Stormwrack.

NOTES
• Cold- and Temperate-based creatures are dominant. However, creatures found in Warm environments will have their niche around the sea-lakes.
• NO d20 STUFF! Official D&D v.3.5 sourcebooks only. (Exceptions: monster books: MM2 and Fiend Folio [but not Monsters of Faerun].) Nothing from any of the D&D Worlds, not even monsters.
• D&D Frostburn and D&D Sandstorm will be key. The Warm-environment creatures from D&D Sandstorm would be in, but would be slightly modified for a cold world. (Add Cold Subtype when appropriate.)
• Standard Classes: D&D PHB v.3.5, PHB II, non-Oriental-based classes from the Complete Series. (D&D v.3.0 classes that did not officially get updated to v.3.5 are out.)
Kevin S. on Facebook wrote:Arid place for sure. | Not much snowfall unless near the few bodies of open water. | Arctic/polar regions will be downright Bitter cold.
• Exactly. There is a race from Frostburn called the Frost Folk (monstrous humanoids with the cold subtype). The polar regions will be where their kingdoms are. I foresee them being this world's major villains.
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Uldra?
• TAD, everything from D&D Frostburn will exist on this world, including the Uldra.
• Homebrewing for this world will not include new rules: no new races, no new classes, no new monsters. Templated creatures (using official D&D v.3.5 templates) are the only exception.
Kevin S. on Facebook wrote:Typical seasons on this rock - Cold - REALLY Cold | It might actually get somewhat warm in the Equatorial region but with the vast amount of high Mountains that warmth will not get far.

I see much of this place being Chilean Desert type Dry with maybe 1" precip every decade. | Any real moisture will stay around the open water as they are pretty well hemmed in by Mountains. | Mot a hospitable place to live. | Vicious fighting will be common as water is so scarce it would be more valuable than Platinum. | Any source on the surface will be strongly defended.
Kevin S. on Facebook wrote:Ignore anything over 80 Degrees as most of it is over open water. | That same open water will have a local impact on the surrounding land areas besides the available vegetation. | Temps will be held to a somewhat consistent range by means of the lake effect breezes.

There won't be much rain on this planet. | Not enough surface moisture and too many mountains surrounding those same lakes/oceans. | A significant portion of this place will not receive appreciable rainfall/snowfall

This place would make a better Moon than a planet.

Very harsh conditions here making any life present few and very well built.
• The world will be harsh, but its biosphere will be strangely diverse. I foresee magical variables that will break the natural laws of the world. As well, the world's underdark will be extensive... to the extreme.
Kevin S. on Facebook wrote:Surface life will be few and largely centralized around those bodies of open water. | The Underdark can very well TEEM with life in vast numbers. | High levels of ambient Magical energy can make a difference especially if a knowledgeable caster taps into it creating a string of lush oasis cities along trade routes into the far harsher regions.
• The bulk of surface life will be creatures that thrive in a frozen environment — any monster with the cold subtype. Meat eaters will rule the day and night. (Plant life will be scarce, I think.) Add to that any creature that doesn't need to eat and/or breathe — elementals and non-native come to mind.
• As for the Underdark, Iceshard will be honeycombed with distinct Hollow World-like regions. It won't be one huge hollow world, and the upper regions won't be lost worlds. They will be the traditional homelands of the standard D&D v.3.5 races (although the races will have a presence on the surface, especially humans). I foresee Underdark trade routes between the various sea-lake regions. It's a safer way to travel, even with the underground dangers.
• Magical oases on the surface wouldn't be as common. A lone, powerful arcanist (or, more rarely, a druid) could easily create an oasis of life that defies the world's natural order. They would guard such a place to the death. Trusting strangers can get you killed on Iceshard.
Kevin S. on Facebook wrote:Plant life would be mostly Cactus or other Desert types that are water efficient and temperature tolerant most will likely have some form of spiky or harmful defenses.
• The Saguaro Sentinel from D&D Sandstorm would be the primary intelligent plant-creature on the surface. (They will have the Cold Subtype.)
Kevin S. on Facebook wrote:Abundant vegetation will be found around the few bodies of open water. | My guess is that much of this planet's water supply will be subterranean making this rock pretty desolate. | Irrigation or deep wells would be the only way to get any real quantity of water to remote sites such as mines or other strategic points not near open water.
• The water on the surface will likely be salty in the extreme. Deep wells will be a must. And the Underdark will have a significant amount of water. Wars have been fought over the best Underhollows. Underhollows, I like that. :)
• The surface-dwelling races will be experts in desalination techniques. And there will be water diviners who can purify salt water with a touch.
• So, the Iceshard name makes me think magical iceflows where special ice magic comes into play. The wild magic creates random Iceshards: constructs of power that the races of the world wish to possess. The catch: the iceshards only form on the surface.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Knightfall's Mirrored Cosmology

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 am

I imagine Iceshard to be like Athas, only environmentally opposite.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:11 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I imagine Iceshard to be like Athas, only environmentally opposite.
Possible. Although I'm trying not to create an Athas-like world for Iceshard. As a cold and dry world, Iceshard will be harsher, IMO, than Athas. The cold is a bitter mistress. And there will be gods. Hmm, and maybe wild magic zones.

I've added the Mystara-like Underhollows to try to make the world different than Athas. I think there will be two primary Underhollows (at odds with each other?) and four or more secondary Underhollows that exist closer to the surface world. One Underhollow might be filled with water -- sort of a Underdark water world. Another will be filled with lush vegetation. Planar-like Underhollows might exist too. Imagine an Underhollow where Wildspace has somehow merged into the world. ;)

The two primary Underhollows will be more like Mystara's Hollow World and will be closer to the world's core. They won't be exactly like Hollow World, however. One could be primitive, a true lost world, and the other could be highly advanced (Renaissance-like, maybe).
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Updated the map to link to a Hammer-Projection-version of the Altitude Map. Added more tidbits under Notes. New notes will go in a new post.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:23 am

Knightfall wrote:Imagine an Underhollow where Wildspace has somehow merged into the world. ;)
An underhollow that is a pocket of volatile Wildspace? How very interesting.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Imagine an Underhollow where Wildspace has somehow merged into the world. ;)
An underhollow that is a pocket of volatile Wildspace? How very interesting.
I thought so.

It would likely be the third largest of the Underhollows but still significantly smaller than the two primary Underhollows. (It sits at the world's exact center between the two primary Underhallows.) I imagine a Spelljamming hollow that is full of Wildspace creatures, as well as floating asteroids that orbit the world's "fire body" core. Air envelopes would be a rarity since the entire cavern is a void. (None of the asteroids would have a natural atmosphere.) Denizens would have to create their own air. However, there would be one permanent magical portal to the Elemental Plane of Air, but its effect wouldn't be widespread.

The denizens of Iceshard would refer to Wildspace as "Overspace" in opposition to the world's unique "Underspace."

Thoughts?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:29 am

So I guess, in a way, Iceshard topside would be like the outer shell of a Dyson sphere and Underspace would be like the inside of it.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: ICESHARD Campaign Setting

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:42 am

Knightfall wrote:
• TAD, everything from D&D Frostburn will exist on this world, including the Uldra.
• Homebrewing for this world will not include new rules: no new races, no new classes, no new monsters. Templated creatures (using official D&D v.3.5 templates) are the only exception.
What I meant by the Uldra comment is that I thought your intention with them was to make them the world-spanning 'evil' race.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:42 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:So I guess, in a way, Iceshard topside would be like the outer shell of a Dyson sphere and Underspace would be like the inside of it.
It would sort of be like that, but the inside isn't uniform, of course. Plus, it's important to remember that the world's circumference is 50,000 miles, which makes it more than twice the size of the Earth. It allows for each of Iceshard's two primary Underhollows to be roughly the same size as the Hollow World. (I'm guessing since I don't know the exact size of Mystara.) However, those hollows won't be uniform in size or shape making them more Underdark-like. The world's Underspace will be uniform like the Hollow World, but there won't be any way for Spelljammers to directly enter from Overspace (i.e. no openings at the poles)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 am

Knightfall wrote:
What I meant by the Uldra comment is that I thought your intention with them was to make them the world-spanning 'evil' race.
Ah, I see. :P

No, the Frost Folk (D&D Frostburn, p. 130) are the primary villains for Iceshard. (The Frost Folk on Iceshard have there alignment changed to "Usually Neutral Evil.") The Uldra will be one of the primary PC races for the surface world.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:53 am

Knightfall wrote:The world's Underspace will be uniform like the Hollow World, but there won't be any way for Spelljammers to directly enter from Overspace (i.e. no openings at the poles)
What about adding a stationary or orbiting portal in Overspace that links to Underspace. Perhaps the portal opens when specific heavenly conditions are met?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 am

Knightfall wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
Ah, I see. :P

No, the Frost Folk (D&D Frostburn, p. 130) are the primary villains for Iceshard. (The Frost Folk on Iceshard have there alignment changed to "Usually Neutral Evil.") The Uldra will be one of the primary PC races for the surface world.
Cool, thanks for clarifying that.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

EverQuest and Warcraft

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:12 pm

I've now added both Azeroth (Warcraft: The RPG) and Norrath (EverQuest RPG) to the list of material plane in the Mirrored Cosmology. Regarding Warcraft, I will likely only use the world of Azeroth. The other Warcraft worlds will be less likely to enter into Kulan's cosmology.

There won't be any direct ties to Kulan from either world, but I will be using the two settings' monster books for Kulan. I already have Manual of Monsters and have gone through my monster list for Janardûn and added a few Warcraft creatures to the mix. Here are direct link...

Additional D20 Sources: Sword & Sorcery Studios list for Janardûn

I will be adding Warcraft creatures to the S&SS list under Additional D20 sources for Triadora, as well. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. (EDIT: I took the time today and just did it!)

EDIT: When I get the main monster book for Norrath, it will go in the same lists.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Knightfall wrote:The world's Underspace will be uniform like the Hollow World, but there won't be any way for Spelljammers to directly enter from Overspace (i.e. no openings at the poles)
What about adding a stationary or orbiting portal in Overspace that links to Underspace. Perhaps the portal opens when specific heavenly conditions are met?
I don't think I'd want a visible permanent portal. Instead, it might be better to have it work like Planescape. You need a specific portal key to find the portal(s) that may lead to the Underspace.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:43 am

More about drow...
Knightfall wrote:A Note about Drow in this Cosmology
While drow don't exist on the World of Kulan they do exist on Dark World, thus they have a place in cosmology, but I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it. What I can tell you for certain is the Demonweb Pits doesn't exist in this cosmology and neither does Lolth. I've never been a fan of that deity, and I refuse to have her exist in my cosmology.

Thus, the drow of Dark World (and elsewhere) will worship different deities. Part of me likes what has been done with the drow for the the Eberron campaign setting, but I'M not going to duplicate it. I want to come up with my own idea. (A lot of the drow of Maran live above ground and have fiendish blood, but they also live in the Dark Below.)

Both spiders and scorpions will play a part so I can still use driders, and make scorpionfolk related to drow. (Hmm... maybe.) Pacts with demons and devils is common amongst the drow of Maran. Those drow that live above ground tend to be lawful evil, while those living below ground are more often chaotic evil.
Here is a list of the settings I've placed in the Mirrored Cosmology with a drow-like race of elves included as part of their design.

● Blackmoor (d20 ver.)
● Broken Scarn (homebrewed PA Scarred Lands [d20]) | Forsaken Elf :?:
● Fallen Realms, the (hombrewed PA Forgotten Realms [3E])
● Iceshard (homebrewed)
● Maran [Dark World] (Castles & Crusades*) (homebrewed)
● Praemal (Monte Cook’s Ptolus [d20]) | Harrow Elf
● Ptalmanar [Twin Crowns] (d20) | Dark Elf (a.k.a. Skur)
● Talus [Odyssey World] (AD&D 2E) (homebrewed)
● Tellene [Kingdoms of Kalamar (d20 ver.)]
● World of the Green War (Timothy Brown's Green Races [d20])
● World Unknown, the (homebrewed PA Mystara) | Shadow Elf

I'm not sure about these settings...
● Gothos (The Hunt: Rise of Evil) (d20)
● Thraxis [Morningstar] (d20)

I haven't decided yet...
● Icarus (RPB) (homebrewed)
● World of Chanak [Creative Campaigning] (AD&D 2E)

While technically the World of Kulan does have an offshoot race descended from drow that once invaded the Underearth from another world, there have never been any native drow on Kulan. The race simply never (d)evolved on the world. That doesn't mean there aren't "evil" elves on the planet, just that there aren't any pure drow-like races on Kulan. The drow of other worlds would likely consider the offshoot race on Kulan to be abominations.

The Nevaequarlani (or just "Nevae") don't have the stigma of being a half-bred drow race (half drow and half elf [PHB]) on the surface world of Kulan. The standard elves that are aware of them and of drow tend to view them as an oddity. However, the races of the Underearth view them with a great deal of prejudice.

There are rumors of other creatures deep in the Underearth that are half drow and half something else.

*The more I think about how I want to link Maran to Kulan, the more I want use D&D v.3.5 for the world. Hmm, perhaps it will be for C&C and D&D v.3.5. :idea:
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:19 am

Knightfall wrote:
I don't think I'd want a visible permanent portal. Instead, it might be better to have it work like Planescape. You need a specific portal key to find the portal(s) that may lead to the Underspace.
In Star Trek Deep Space Nine the wormhole wasn't clearly visible. It's coordinate were known, but it wasn't visible until it was entered. I like the idea of a keyed invisible portal.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 am

Knightfall wrote:
In Star Trek Deep Space Nine the wormhole wasn't clearly visible. It's coordinate were known, but it wasn't visible until it was entered. I like the idea of a keyed invisible portal.
I think it's the best idea. But I wouldn't have just one portal like in DS9. (I loved that show!) Instead, the portals would be more like how the portals in Sigil work, just on a much larger scale. Many would be one-way. A few would shift position. And one or two would be two-way. There locations would be vital secrets held by only a few powerful spellcasters. They would not part with the coordinates easily.

I would say there is one well known one-way portal.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Ghelspad on "Broken Scarn"

Post by Knightfall » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:48 am

Image needs to be relinked

FYI: I'm going to create a hex map version of this at some point.

Broken Scarn: Ghelspad
I've decided to add a homebrewed version of Scarn to the Mirrored Cosmology. The world was sundered even more during the Divine War than detailed in the official published setting. The world isn't 100% dead, but it is dying, slowly. Ghelspad, as you can see, was ripped apart while Termana was sundered completely in two (or maybe three). I haven't decided everything yet. :P

Think of it like combining Krynn's "Cataclysm" with Toril's "Time of Troubles" using Scarn's unique world as the backdrop. The Divine War ripped Scarn apart. The titans still lost but the Gods of Scarn didn't really win the world. No one won the world. The world is a broken shell that is even darker than the official version. Humans and demihumans are endangered species.

I have decided to do this so I can incorporate the gods of the Scarred Lands setting into my homebrewed cosmology. The Scarred Gods have moved on from Old Scarn. The world has become infected by the blood of the fallen titans, and it is a VERY, VERY dangerous place for the mortals still stranded there. The Scarred Gods managed to save some of Old Scarn's civilizations by cloning them, with no memory of Scarn, onto other worlds. (Three major cities of Old Scarn now exist on Kulan.) The faiths of the Scarred Gods have moved into the outer planes of this cosmology. The unique planes connected to Old Scarn either have been swept away or have been integrated (pulled) into the Mirrored Cosmology. (I haven't decided what will survive and what won't.)

The world itself won't likely get too much of my time. I'm more interested in bringing in the gods and setting material into my cosmology, piece-mail. For example, I want to use Burok Torn* in my cosmology but I don't want to set it on Kulan. Instead, it will likely become a planar gate city. Portals will exist there that can take adventurers either to Old Scarn or to Kulan (likely near Mithril). *I still need the sourcebook for it. :P

Since the Termana hardcover is for v.3.5, I can foresee that entire continent ending up one of my homebrewed worlds (not Kulan), or I will turn it into a unique demiplane connected to the Shadowstar Sea. And once (or if) I find a copy of "Lost Tribes of the Scarred Lands," the unique lands detailed in that book will also get spread throughout the Mirrored Cosmology. :cool:
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Bloodsworn

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:39 am

Bloodsworn
I've decided to add a variant version of Oathbound to my Mirrored Cosmology, which I'm tentatively calling Bloodsworn. The setting will be the forge, but its background will be very different. The Feathered Foul are all dead as is the Nameless God. However, the blood of these immortal beings has infused the land even more than in the standard setting.

What I'll be doing is combining Oathbound with the rules from Requiem for a God. :twisted:

Since the plane is a material plane, I expect that I'll add some Spelljammer concepts into its unique planar design. I expect that I'll keep The Forge somewhat isolated from the rest of the cosmology's material planes. Inner and outer planar connections will be stronger.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Termanus

Post by Knightfall » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:21 am

Termanus
Here is a world concept that I'm going to incorporate into my Mirrored Cosmology: Termanus is going to be related both Scarred Lands and World of Kulan. In the Mirrored Cosmology, I've already created a post-apocalyptic version of Scarn (see above) where the world has died (sort of). The Divine War ended very, very badly and the world was left in ruins.

Ghelspad is shattered and Termana sunk.

However, the truth is more complicated. Much of the world was ruined, yes, but some of it was saved by the gods of Scarn. The gods found a way to duplicate parts of Scarn on other worlds. Kulan is one of those worlds and so is Termanus. The parts of Ghelspad that could be saved were recreated on Kulan with the permission of the World Goddess.

However, she was unwilling to allow all of Termana to be recreated on Kulan, so the gods of Scarn needed to find another world for Termana. The world they found is an isolated, primeval world with only a few continents. (The largest is roughly half the size of Termana.) The rest of the world is full of archipelagos and volcanic islands.

The world had humanoid life but much of it is primitive. The, now, second largest continent is dominated by humans and halflings and is a Chalcolithic civilization with a more Central American feel. (This continent sits close to Termana -- 150 miles from the northeastern shore.)

Chalcolithic period

The third largest continent is more like an island-continent and is in the far north. It is still in its Stone Age and like Northern Europe. (In relation to Termana, it would be close to where Ghelspad is on Scarn.)

The next largest landmass is part of an extensive archipelago that is west of Termana. The distance to the main island is quite far but the first set of islands in the archipelago are only 200 miles from Termana's western shoreline.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: EverQuest and Warcraft

Post by Knightfall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 am

Knightfall wrote:I've now added both Azeroth (Warcraft: The RPG) and Norrath (EverQuest RPG) to the list of material plane in the Mirrored Cosmology. Regarding Warcraft, I will likely only use the world of Azeroth. The other Warcraft worlds will be less likely to enter into Kulan's cosmology.
UPDATE: I've decided to un-link these setting from the Mirrored Cosmology. Anything that I take from the two settings books now will be added to Kulan or one of my other homebrewed worlds.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Copied over from EN World

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:53 pm

Knightfall wrote:For the Outlands, things are a bit different. There isn't one plane known as the Outlands, instead there are two. The Upper Outlands lead to the Upper Planes, while the Lower Outlands lead to the Lower Planes. (I'd like to have better names for them, but at this point "Upper" and "Lower" will have to do.)
How about "Beneficent" and "Malevolent"? (Replacing "Concordant" in the traditional single Outlands.) Although I don't know why you would bother keeping the Outlands at all, if you're going to remove its trademark neutrality. I for one threw it out of my cosmology altogether, since the Material Plane is the designated "neutral zone" between the Heavens and Hells.

On the Ascendant side, everything seems brighter and more peaceful. On the Desendant side, the portal town seems darker and on edge. But it's the same town with the same people. Only the traveler has changed, due to the power of good vs. evil.

Anyone have a headache, yet? :P
This is a cute and poetic concept, but it makes no logical sense IMO. If you ever send me to these locations, expect me to work overtime poking holes in the concept instead of simply going with it.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 pm

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:For the Outlands, things are a bit different. There isn't one plane known as the Outlands, instead there are two. The Upper Outlands lead to the Upper Planes, while the Lower Outlands lead to the Lower Planes. (I'd like to have better names for them, but at this point "Upper" and "Lower" will have to do.)
How about "Beneficent" and "Malevolent"? (Replacing "Concordant" in the traditional single Outlands.) Although I don't know why you would bother keeping the Outlands at all, if you're going to remove its trademark neutrality. I for one threw it out of my cosmology altogether, since the Material Plane is the designated "neutral zone" between the Heavens and Hells.
Hmm, I like that.
willpell wrote:
On the Ascendant side, everything seems brighter and more peaceful. On the Desendant side, the portal town seems darker and on edge. But it's the same town with the same people. Only the traveler has changed, due to the power of good vs. evil.

Anyone have a headache, yet? :P
This is a cute and poetic concept, but it makes no logical sense IMO. If you ever send me to these locations, expect me to work overtime poking holes in the concept instead of simply going with it.
Well, I'm a big fan of Planescape and the whole concept of belief shaping the planes. So, what one believes colors their vision, so to speak. Of course, since Relgar has a strong view of his own self and the universe, I would assume such things wouldn't touch him in the same way. Neutrality is a strong force in my cosmology. The concept of the Balance in all things. Some can see this balance for what it is while others lose themselves to the cosmos.

And I tend to let things slide rather than have what I've written in the past form an absolute. The D&D multiverse is a big place full of lots of ideas. :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Knightfall wrote:Well, I'm a big fan of Planescape and the whole concept of belief shaping the planes. So, what one believes colors their vision, so to speak.
Okay, if Han Solo walks into the Mos Eisley cantina on the Negative version of Tattooine, and he shoots Greedo first, with no visible provocation for anyone who doesn't know Greedo is anything but a random Rodian, and then walks out, crosses over to the Positive Tatooine, and walks back into the Cantina there, does he see a sign saying that he's wanted for murder? Positive-energy Han Solo would never gun down anyone in cold blood, and positive-energy Greedo probably wouldn't have been about to shoot him anyway; positive-energy Jabba the Hutt just wanted Han to come in so they could discuss a reasonable payment plan, maybe politely ask him to put down some collateral. So if Han shot Negative Greedo, and Negative Greedo and Positive Greedo are the same person, is Positive Greedo still alive?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:19 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Well, I'm a big fan of Planescape and the whole concept of belief shaping the planes. So, what one believes colors their vision, so to speak.
Okay, if Han Solo walks into the Mos Eisley cantina on the Negative version of Tattooine, and he shoots Greedo first, with no visible provocation for anyone who doesn't know Greedo is anything but a random Rodian, and then walks out, crosses over to the Positive Tatooine, and walks back into the Cantina there, does he see a sign saying that he's wanted for murder? Positive-energy Han Solo would never gun down anyone in cold blood, and positive-energy Greedo probably wouldn't have been about to shoot him anyway; positive-energy Jabba the Hutt just wanted Han to come in so they could discuss a reasonable payment plan, maybe politely ask him to put down some collateral. So if Han shot Negative Greedo, and Negative Greedo and Positive Greedo are the same person, is Positive Greedo still alive?
There wouldn't truly be two Tattooines. It is only a change in belief and perception not reality. There is only one Han and one Greedo. Han would be wanted (maybe), regardless, of how he perceives Tattooine. Since he shot Greedo while "Beneficent" was the pervading belief, he'd more likely have come under scrutiny if he returns even if he does so while the "Malevolent" belief rules perception. If he'd done it the other way around, he'd be less likely to be wanted by the law. But he'd be more likely to have to worry about Jabba's criminal agents.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”