[Kulan] Western Kanpur|Bluffside PbP Campaign Guide

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

[Kulan] Western Kanpur|Bluffside PbP Campaign Guide

Post by Knightfall » Thu May 09, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm interested in starting up a new World of Kulan PbP campaign. The campaign would be run here on the Piazza in The Crystal Globe forum. I want the group to be small, no more than four or five. I want players who can participate two to three times a week and are familiar with the D&D v.3.5 ruleset.

I don't have an adventure arc, I want it to be at least a three adventure set. The campaign would be set in the western lands of the continent of Kanpur.

Post in this thread if you're interested.

Cheers!

KF

EDIT
Important!
Intricate tactical movement won't be heavily enforced. Thus, feat selection should focus more on the fluidity of combat rather than the step-by-step process of grid-based combat.
Tellerian Hawke: Sir Tymbeck "Big Tim" Valencia (Male Half-Ogre. Fighter5)
- Backup PC: Male Hobgoblin Warmage 6
--------
Group NPCs
Custodio Vecchi (Male Human, Cleric of the Purifier [Vanquisher] 4/Fighter 2) [Primary NPC]
Elkgrar Ashhand (Male Hill Dwarf, Cleric of the Builder 4) [Secondary NPC]
Demetrios Zinon Aris Rhodes (Male Human, Aristocrat2/Fighter4/Streetfighter3)
dulsi: Gralf (Male Gnome, Fighter 5)
MacConnell: Thersean Stormdancer (Male Taraean elf, monk 3/cleric 3)
dulsi: Gralfinicon Dashtorquezip, aka Gralf (see under Ex-PCs)
hihama: Pekko Lempoinen (see under Ex-PCs)
khyde2184: Ginthalas Silverleaf (Male Elf, Rogue 1)
Angel Tarragon: Koln Voolsha (Male Human, Fighter 1/Martial Rogue3)
Angel Tarragon: Thistle Ravenwood (Female Wood Elf, Spell-less Paladin 5 */Elf Paragon1)
*Variant from Complete Warrior.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Re: New Kulan PbP Campaign

Post by dfryer36 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Sign me up!
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri May 10, 2013 12:19 am

dfryer36 wrote:Sign me up!
That's one.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat May 11, 2013 6:42 am

Hmm, not much interest.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat May 11, 2013 8:54 am

I'm interested. However, not sure about 3.5 rules.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 11, 2013 9:48 am

hihama wrote:I'm interested. However, not sure about 3.5 rules.
The Hypertext d20 SRD is your friend. It is fully searchable (and hyperlinked) version of WotC's System Reference Document. The SRD is a slightly cut down version of the 3rd Edition D&D core rules

The Piazza has a forum for 3rd Edition. If you want to some help or advice on a specific rule, you could start up a thread over there (or search The Piazza to see if there is already a thread on how the rule works).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat May 11, 2013 6:07 pm

hihama wrote:I'm interested. However, not sure about 3.5 rules.
Kulan is my main D&D v.3.5 homebrewed world. when 4e came out, I decided I wasn't going to try to convert it to that system, and I'm not enamored with the PFRPG, so it won't ever use that game system. Kulan is v.3.5. If that doesn't work for you, I won't be insulted if you don't want to play.

Let me know what you decide.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat May 11, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm interested. What I meant about 3.5 is that only rules I'm conveniently familiar with are BECMI and 1st edition so if that is not a problem I would like to play.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat May 11, 2013 9:31 pm

hihama wrote:I'm interested. What I meant about 3.5 is that only rules I'm conveniently familiar with are BECMI and 1st edition so if that is not a problem I would like to play.
I would say study up on the basics of the v.3.5 rules on the link that Big Mac posted. The Hypertext SRD is a great resource to learn the rules quickly. However, I kind of want players who are already familiar with v.3.5. However, you wouldn't have to know everything about how the game would work with minis or anything like that.

Tell me what kind of character you'd like to play.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat May 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Ok, it does not seem to be too complicated.

As for character, nothing too complicated. So human or dwarf as a race, fighter or cleric as a class, if possible.

Btw, I see that we are in a quite different time zones, is that going to be a problem?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun May 12, 2013 7:06 pm

hihama wrote:Ok, it does not seem to be too complicated.

As for character, nothing too complicated. So human or dwarf as a race, fighter or cleric as a class, if possible.
To keep it really simple, I'd say go with a human character. Fighter or cleric is fine, although be aware that with a fighter PC, you'll have to keep track of a lot more Feats. (It can get complicated at higher levels.)

The group will need a cleric, so if you go that route, I'm fine with the choice. Note that Kulan has a LOT of deities to choose from, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something for your character. The region the game is set in is comparable to Europe, but with a lot of the fantastic thrown it. (See here.)
hihama wrote:Btw, I see that we are in a quite different time zones, is that going to be a problem?
I don't think it will be a problem as long as you can post two or three times a week. There might be some lag time between your posts and mine, but it should be fine. I tend to get up late morning and go to bed around Midnight to 1 a.m.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun May 12, 2013 7:11 pm

PC races to choose from for the campaign...

Draconic creature [Template] | [Dragontouched] †
● Dwarf
● Elf
● Elf, gray
● Gnome
● Gnome, steam (Bluffside: City on the Edge [d20])
● Hadozee (D&D Stormwrack)
● Half-Elf
● Half-Orc
● Halfling
● Halfling, tallfellow
● Human
● Kobold

† Homebrewed race.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sun May 12, 2013 11:08 pm

[quote="Knightfall"]
To keep it really simple, I'd say go with a human character. Fighter or cleric is fine, although be aware that with a fighter PC, you'll have to keep track of a lot more Feats. (It can get complicated at higher levels.)

The group will need a cleric, so if you go that route, I'm fine with the choice. Note that Kulan has a LOT of deities to choose from, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something for your character. The region the game is set in is comparable to Europe, but with a lot of the fantastic thrown it. (See here.)

Human cleric it is then. I was already looking at the Western Kanpur and saw that there is a land called Kotimi, home for a Finnish culture. Can I be from there? Btw, if you want the name sound more like Finnish, you could change it to Kotimaa, which is direct translation of homeland.

As for the god, I was looking at the list of them and thinking about Ahto.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:58 am

So can I be from Shelzar? Also can I use material from the various Scarred Lands books?
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:04 am

Also, what level are we starting at?
David Fryer

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 am

This is the first draft of my character idea. let me know what you think.

Ayse Ajam
Female half-elf ranger 1
NG medium humanoid (elf, human)
Init: +6, Senses: low-light vision, Listen +7, Spot +7
AC: 15; touch: 12; flat-footed 13
hp: 7 (1d8-1)
Fort: +1, Ref: +4, Will: +2; +2 to saves vs. enchantment spells or effects
Immune: magic sleep
Speed: 30 ft
Melee: longsword +2 (1d8+1/19-20)
Melee: dagger +2 (1d4+1/19-20)
Ranged: longbow +3 (1d8/x3)
Special Attacks: favored enemy (monstrous humanoids)
Base Atk: +1; Grp: +2
Str: 12, Dex: 14, Con: 8, Int: 10, Wis: 15, Cha: 13
SQ: Wild Empathy
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Track
Skills: Climb +5, Hide +6, Listen +7, Move Silently +6, Search +7, Spot +7
Possessions: studded leather armor, longbow w/ 20 arrows, long sword, dagger, backpack, belt pouch, bedroll, flint and steel, hemp rope(50 ft), sunrods (2), trail rations (10 days), waterskin, 17 gp

Ayse was born in Shelzar, an ancient city on the southern coast of The Dark Continent. Her mother was an elvish prostitute, a slave brought to Shelzar all the way from The Far North. Who her father was is unknown but it is rumored that she is the bastard offspring of a member of the wealthy Asuras family. Not that it really matters; if her father even knows of her existence he has to this date shown no interest in her. In fact the only reason that she was allowed to live past birth is because of her gender. The owner of the brothel where her mother worked hoped to raise Ayse to go into the “family business.”
However, Ayse was born with a wild streak. Many nights she would sneak out of her home and make her way across town to The Pezwahri district. While most residents of the Seven Sins who snuck into the Pezwahri were looking for unguarded homes to rob, Ayse was instead drawn to the district's grand park and the illusion of the wild that it offered. She would disappear there for days, hiding from the city watch and imagining what it must be like to be free. Finally the brothel owner grew tired of her antics and sold her to a wealthy merchant who's proclivities would be considered far too deviant for anyplace but Shelzar.
Her first few days in her new home were actually quite pleasant. Ayse had never seen so much wealth and splendor. However, after less than a week her new owner succumb to his lusts and tried to force himself on her. However, he did not remove his dagger from his belt before he did so and Ayse used the blade to kill the man. Knowing that a slave who killed her master could look forward only to the gallows, Ayse loaded some food, clothing, money, and the dagger in a bag and set off into the night. She was well beyond the city gates when her master's body was discovered, stowed away in an Asuras caravan that was making it's way north.
Since that time Ayse has seen and done many things. She has grown into a mature young woman and for awhile worked as a guard for the Asuras family protecting the caravans that carry the goods that have made the family wealthy beyond the dreams of many emperors. She has recently left their employ and has struck out on her own, using the skills that she learned to become a wandering adventurer.
David Fryer

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon May 13, 2013 4:48 am

hihama wrote:
Knightfall wrote: To keep it really simple, I'd say go with a human character. Fighter or cleric is fine, although be aware that with a fighter PC, you'll have to keep track of a lot more Feats. (It can get complicated at higher levels.)

Human cleric it is then. I was already looking at the Western Kanpur and saw that there is a land called Kotimi, home for a Finnish culture. Can I be from there?
Sure. It seems like a good idea.
hihama wrote:Btw, if you want the name sound more like Finnish, you could change it to Kotimaa, which is direct translation of homeland.
Perhaps Kotimi is the bastardized name that outsiders give it while those from there call it Kotimaa. ;)
hihama wrote:As for the god, I was looking at the list of them and thinking about Ahto.
Sure, here are the basic details for Ahto as worshiped on the continent of Kanpur.

AHTO (God of the Sea, King of the Seas)
Greater Deity
Symbol: Rippling wave of water
Alignment: Neutral good
Portfolio: Seas, water
Cleric Alignments: NG, N, CG, LG
Standard Domains: Air, Animal, Good, Water, and Weather (Hypertext d20 SRD).
— Other Official D&D Domains (optional): Ocean (Spell Compendium) and Seafolk (Stormwrack).
— Homebrewed Domains (optional): Nautical (see below).
— d20 System Domains (optional): Undersea (Legends & Lairs Seafarer's Handbook).

Favored Weapon: Trident

Nautical
Created by Robert Blezard
Granted Power: Your Nautical domain spells have their caster level increased by +1.

Nautical Domain Spells:
1. Compass ‡
2. Becalm Sails †
3. Speed Ship †
4. Control Ship †
5. Control Water
6. Nautomancy ‡
7. Control Weather
8. Black Pearl Eye †
9. Storm of Vengeance
----------------
† From Spells 3.5 document for World of Kulan (I can post the relevant spells, if you're interested)
‡ From Legends & Lairs Seafarer’s Handbook (v.3.0 spells; if you're interested in the domain, I'll substitute in something else for Compass and Nautomancy)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon May 13, 2013 4:58 am

dfryer36 wrote:So can I be from Shelzar? Also can I use material from the various Scarred Lands books?
Yes, you can be from Shelzar, but I want a good backstory as to why your PC is so far away from home. And, you can use any Scarred Lands book listed under the "Kanpur: The Ancient Lands" section of this post: link.

No Scarred Lands deities, however.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon May 13, 2013 5:04 am

dfryer36 wrote:Also, what level are we starting at?
Level one.

Extra Bonus for all PCs at 1st Level
Either a bonus feat (NOT a Fighter feat or a Metamagic feat) or an +1 to the multiplier for 1st-level skills (x4 becomes x5).
Homebrewed Worlds Index

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon May 13, 2013 6:42 am

How soon you want similar draft of the character that Dfyer36 just sent?

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon May 13, 2013 6:48 am

And important question concerning character creation. Any guidelines/rules for determining ability scores.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon May 13, 2013 7:01 am

hihama wrote:How soon you want similar draft of the character that Dfyer36 just sent?
Take you time. Until I have at least two more players, there won't be a need for me to see anything right away.
hihama wrote:And important question concerning character creation. Any guidelines/rules for determining ability scores.
I'm not sure what David used, but I'd say go with the following...

Roll 4d6, drop the lowest die.
Do this nine times, pick the best six, and arrange however you like.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon May 13, 2013 7:22 am

Knightfall wrote:[Roll 4d6, drop the lowest die.
Do this nine times and pick the best six.
Old school dice rolling :D Like that.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Knightfall wrote:
hihama wrote:And important question concerning character creation. Any guidelines/rules for determining ability scores.

I used the standard array from the DMG. 15,14,13,12,10,8 Do you want me to go back and roll or just leave her the way she is?
David Fryer

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon May 13, 2013 9:21 pm

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:

I used the standard array from the DMG. 15,14,13,12,10,8 Do you want me to go back and roll or just leave her the way she is?
It's up to you. If you want to re-roll your stats, I say go ahead.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”