[Kulan] Western Kanpur|Bluffside PbP Campaign Guide

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:20 am

The Angelic Dragon wrote:
Knightfall wrote:I'll do the into into the game either today or tomorrow.
:cool:
I got distracted by other things today. I'll try to get to it tomorrow.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:50 am

Angel,

I'll try to come up with an intro for your PC by the end of the week.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:56 am

Knightfall wrote:Angel,

I have patience.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:48 am

Knightfall wrote:Angel,

I have patience.
I've been feeling sore and tired this week. I'll try to get something posted by Sunday.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:16 am

Knightfall wrote:I've been feeling sore and tired this week. I'll try to get something posted by Sunday.
Whenever, your health is more important. I hope you feel better more sooner than later.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:31 pm

Knightfall wrote:I've been feeling sore and tired this week. I'll try to get something posted by Sunday.
Whenever, your health is more important. I hope you feel better more sooner than later.
Your PC's intro is now posted.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Here's a link to a Historical Dictionary of American Slang for use with Bluffside: http://www.alphadictionary.com/slang/?t ... end=Search

The range of years is 1470-1790.

At some point, I will have a compiled list as a PDF, but it should suffice for now. The use of this terminology is optional, of course. I will try to inject some of this flavor into the game.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Thistle updated

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:53 am

THISTLE RAVENWOOD
Female wood elf, Paladin 4
LG medium humanoid (Elf)
DEITY: Arn
XP: 8,674

HEIGHT: 5' 5", WEIGHT: 116 lbs
LANGUAGES: Bluffspeak (regional [bonus]), Elven.
SENSES: Low-light vision; Listen +6, Spot +6

AC: 16 [10 default, 4 scale, 2 Dex], Touch 12, Flat-Footed 14
INITIATIVE: +2 [2 Dex]
HIT POINTS: 42 [10 (1st) + 7 (2nd) + 8 (3rd) + 10 (4th) + 3 (Toughness) + 4 Con] | Current 21/Non lethal: 3
SPEED: 20 ft. (base 30 ft.)

ABILITY SCORES
STR 16 (+3) [14 Base, +2 Racial]
DEX 15 (+2) [15 Base]
CON 12 (+1) [11 Base, +1 Level 4]
INT 11 (+0) [13 Base, -2 Racial]
WIS 18 (+4) [18 Base]
CHA 18 (+4) [18 Base]

SAVES
Fort +8 [+4 Paladin, +0 Con, +4 Cha]
Refl +7 [+1 Paladin, +2 Dex, +4 Cha]
Will +9 [+1 Paladin, +4 Wis, +4 Cha]
[+2 to saves vs. enchantment spells or effects | Immune: Sleep spells and effects]

BAB +4; GRP +7.
BASE MELEE: +7
— Greatsword +8 melee (2d6+4/19-20/x2) [+4 BAB, +3 Str, +1 feat]
— Morningstar +7 melee (1d8+3/x2) [+4 BAB, +3 Str]
BASE RANGED: +6.
SA: Smite evil (1/day; +4 to attack roll, +4 to damage)
SQ: Aura of courage [10 ft., +4 morale bonus vs. fear effects], aura of good, detect evil, detect secret doors (Search check [if within 5 ft.]), divine grace, divine health, lay on hands (heal 16 damage/day), turn undead (7 times/day, as 1st level cleric).

SKILLS
Balance +2 [2 Dex] [cc]
Bluff +4 [4 Cha] [cc]
Climb +3 [3 Str] [cc]
Diplomacy +4 [2 ranks, 4 Cha]
Gather Information +4 [4 Cha] [cc]
Handle Animal +5 [1 rank, 4 Cha]
Heal +4 [2 ranks, 4 Cha]
Intimidate +4 [4 Cha] [cc]
Jump +3 [3 Str] [cc]
Knowledge (Nature) +2 [2 ranks] [cc]
Knowledge (Religion) +2 [2 ranks]
Listen +6 [2 Racial, 4 Wis] [cc]
Ride +3 [1 rank, 2 Dex]
Search +2 [2 Racial] [cc]
Sense Motive +4 [4 Wis]
Spot +6 [2 Racial, 4 Wis] [cc]
Swim +3 [3 Str] [cc]
Survival +6 [2 ranks, 4 Wis] [cc]
Use Rope +2 [2 Dex] [cc]

FEATS
Toughness
Weapon Focus (Greatsword)

SPELLS (1/–/–/–; save DC 14 + spell level, CL 2nd)
1st — none currently memorized.

POSSESSIONS (coins: 13 gp)
---------------------------------------
Greatsword (50 gp)
Morningstar (8gp)
Quarterstaff (left behind at temple)
Scale Mail (50 gp)
---------------------------------------
Sack (1 gp, given to Bran)
Signet Ring with Arns' Holy Symbol (5 gp) [Left Hand]
Flask of Holy Water (25 gp)
Sunrod (3) (6 gp)
Cleric's Vestments (5 gp)
Backpack (1 gp)
Chalk - 100 pieces (1 gp)

BACKGROUND
Thistle Ravenwood. A name evocative of beauty, of strength and of purity. Born of the world and breathed life into from elemental and primordial matter, she is the living embodiment of the divine made flesh. Though made for a purpose unknown to her, she has the maturity and emotional outlook as a normal elf. She is far from normal though.

As a child born out of divinity and elemental matter, she feels compelled to keep and maintain skills that allow her to feel connected to the world and its land. Thistle has the maturity of an adult elf and is wise in the ways of nature and men. She remembers the day she was 'born' in the Coldwood forest. Her calling resonated within her. She knew that as a child of divine love, she must devote her life in service to those that made her.

Her creation coincided with the dawn of Summer solstice in the forest, the caress and warmth of the sun on her naked skin felt like pure love to her. She knew that she must dedicate her life to spreading life, warmth and love to those less fortunate. She feels the hand of Arn in her life and has dedicated herself to becoming a warrior of light and of love. She is a shining example of what it means to be a caring person in a world filled with darkness.

For years following her creation she slowly made her way west, feeling the tug towards Bluffside. She has toughed out the journey and found that she is capable of withstanding the elements better than most others, she is blessed with a healthy life force and body. The day she saw Bluffside she could feel a sense of destiny in her. Somehow she knew her destiny was tied to the city. She made her way to the temple district and found the holy grounds of Arn as if she knew exactly where it was. She was taken in as if the priests had been expecting her. She asked for food and drink and was immediately provided for. Gauwill Tote, the high priest, assigned Erin Fayne the responsibility of teaching Thistle the ways of the church. It has been a couple of years and Thistle has mastered the accomplishment of becoming a Holy Warrior of the church.

Thistle spends her days training others to become Holy Warriors for the church, in supplication, honing her martial skills and running errands for the church. She is quite knowledgeable of the alleyways of the Temple District and some passing familiarity with the Military District as she commonly goes there to deliver and retrieve packages.

Thistle commonly wears a long yellow and white robes. Only on special occasions and holy days where it is required she will done her scale mail, emblazoned with a radiant half circle of bronze, the holy symbol of Arn. When she wears her armor, she will have her quarterstaff in hand and her greatsword in scabbard at her side.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday a man Thistle befriended on her journey to Bluffside came to the church mortally wounded in search of her. Her collapsed into her arms and lay in her care. All bloody, bruised and teetering on the brink of death, she didn't recognize him at first. She cleaned him up and tended to his wounds with the help of one of the clerics of the church. When she recognized him, she gasped. "Bran…" she whispered

He came to this morning. "Thistle…", he said weakly. "It has been a long time, old friend," Thistle replied. He reached into his pocket and retrieved a crumpled note. "What have you there, Bran," Thistle asked. The man struggled to sit up in the bed. "This…" he handed her the note "is something I have been asked to do, but was waylaid and beaten before I had a chance to start off." Brans' dark black bangs fell over his face, he reach his hand up to push it out of his way. Thistle read the note.

Thistle shot a look to Bran, just a little puzzled. "I was given that note yesterday, they expect me to show up today, but I don't think I'm going to be able to in my condition. I ask that you take my place." "Why, Bran, it sounds like a silly little thing, besides I have my responsibilities here," Thistle responded. "Please, Thistle." She sighed. "Alright, Bran." She left Bran in the care of the church with instructions to for them to cut him loose when he retains full health, which should only be a couple of days. Thistle gathered the few things that she owns and then checks in on Bran. "I know you'll be okay after a couple of days." She gives him a satchel full of 25 gp. "Take this and check in to one of the Inns in the New City. After I've completed this quest, I'll catch up to you," Thistle then kisses him on his cheek and parts from his side headed towards The Winsome Heart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bran Veldersine [human male, fighter 2] [75 XP]
Personality: Calm, empathetic, and loyal.

BACKGROUND
Bran is a man in his middle years, still searching for the promise of fame and fortune. He has been down on his luck ever since his parents died in an orc raid on a caravan traveling from Perten to Waymicol some 10 years ago. Due to the way he was from his parents, he always puts others ahead of himself. He is a gentle man that has been searching for the pot of gold that would allow him to retire from his wandering ways and start living the good life. He has made a lot of enemies mostly for being a hired hand and recently he was wounded almost to the point of death. His past has caught up to him.

CONNECTIONS
Bran and Thistle were traveling companions along with two other people; Klaus Winnigen (a male dwarf ranger) and Brenna Tinderfoot (a female gnome wilderness rogue). The group traveled through Coldwood forest as a party for a short time and they were hard pressed to stay alive, relying on one another to pull through. One morning an arrow found its way to Brennas' heart and she died of poisoning shortly after. With heavy hearts, Thistle and the others gave Brenna a proper burial. A week later Klaus just disappeared leaving behind all his possessions. Bran and Thistle stayed the journey all the way to Freeport and then parted ways. Bran has been doing a lot of freelance work, staying steadily employed, but always with his ear to the ground as to where to find the pot of gold that would allow him to retire; he has not had any luck with that. Bran feels deeply connected to Thistle as he is the only person outside of the church of Arn to know that she is no ordinary elf. He spied her being created the morning that she was 'born'. He followed her for a while making sure that she would be okay on her own and then revealed himself to her after she became aware of his presence. His is utterly smitten with Thistle, the beauty, wise and caring woman she is. She knows his affections, but she doesn't feel the same way about him.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun May 31, 2015 3:34 am

Treasure from the fight in the Winsome Heart:
2 Quivers w/20 Arrows (in each)
4 Potions of Cure Light Wounds (CL: 3rd)
Belt Pouch (12 gp, 22 sp)
Dagger
Heavy Wooden Shield (goes to Pekko)
Javelin
Masterwork Longsword
Masterwork Chain Shirt
Pair of Gauntlets
Shortbow
---------
+1 Chainmail >> damage: 9 hp (goes to Thistle?)
-- Pekko will have to cast Make Whole on this item.
-- It would have to be refitted for Thistle.

Heavy Steel Shield >> damaged: 9 hp (goes to Thistle)
-- Pekko will have to cast Make Whole on this item.
---------
Finder's Fee: 457 gp, 4 sp, 5 cp
Melted coins, worth 25 gp, as is.

All weapons and armor are sized for Medium humanoids.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun May 31, 2015 3:43 am

Abene's share of the coins would have been as follows: 58 gp, 9 sp, and 2 cp.

469 - 58 = 411 gp
26 - 9 = 17 sp
5 - 2 = 3 cp

411 / 3 = 137 gp
17 / 3 = 5 sp, 5 cp (+2 two extra cp)
3 / 3 = 1 cp

Gralf, Pekko, and Thistle would each get 137 gp, 5 sp, and 6 cp, if they agree to honor the split of coins even though Abene has died. The money could go to his family or be donated to the Temple of Arn or to Pekko's small congregation in Sordadon. The choice is up to the PCs.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Terger Alela
Human male rogue 5
NG medium humanoid (human)
Init: +3
Senses: Listen +11, Spot +11
Languages: Cliffspeak (Bluffside Common), Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Orc
AC: 19, flat-footed 16, touch: 13 (+6 armor, +2 Dex)
hp: 30 (5 HD)
Fort: +3, Ref: +7, Will: +4
Speed: 30 ft
Melee: +1 rapier +7 (1d6+1/18-20)
Melee: Mwk dagger +7 (1d4+1/19-20)
Melee: +1 rapier +5 (1d6+1/18-20)/ mwk dagger +5 (1d4+1/19-20) with two weapon fighting
Ranged: Mwk dagger +7 (1d4+1/19-20)
Space: 5 ft; Reach: 5 ft
Base Atk: +3; Grapple:+4
Attack Options: Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse
Special Actions: Sneak Attack +3d6
Combat Gear: Potion of Blur, Potion of Cure Light Wounds (2), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Potion of Pass without Trace (2)
Str: 12, Dex: 16, Con: 14, Int: 19, Wis: 16, Cha: 17
SQ: Evasion, trap sense +1, trapfinding, uncanny dodge
Feats: Track, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse
Skills: Balance +11, Bluff +11, Climb +9, Disable Device +12, Disguise +11, Gather Information+11, Hide +11, Move Silently +11, Open Locks +11, Search +12, Spot +11, Tumble +11
Possessions: Combat gear plus +2 chain shirt, +1 rapier, mwk dagger (5), mwk thieves tools, travelers outfit, dark cloak with a hood, 1 gp

Terger began life as an orphan in a monastery where he studied for many years to become a priest. However, the order he studied under required twin vows of celibacy and poverty and Terger found that he could not put aside his worldly desires and take the vows. He decided to see the world instead and seek a new life for himself. Soon he fell in with pirates and eventually worked his way up to captain of his own ship. He has had a successful career and has come to Bluffside to retire from piracy. However he still has a thirst for action and is looking to become a mercenary or adventurer.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:47 am

How long has Terger been in Bluffside?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:05 am

Knightfall wrote:How long has Terger been in Bluffside?
About six months.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:09 am

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:How long has Terger been in Bluffside?
About six months.
Okay, would he frequent New City or is he more likely to hang out in a rough area of town?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Working on my Wizard now. There are two versions of him, depending on whether I want to be a straight-up Wizard 5, whose next level is Wizard 6, or if I want to do three levels of Human Paragon interspersed with Wizard levels, so that only the first level misses out on spellcasting. Either way, he goes into the Geometer prestige class after his sixth level (it requires 3rd-level spellcasting and 9 ranks in Wizard class skills, though I will probably select a couple of those for his Paragon levels). Obviously it makes a huge difference, given that we're at level 5 right now, because it's the difference between having three "Grade 3" (to use my own terminology) spells and not having any, and whether or not you can Dispel Magic once or twice a day is a pretty big determining factor in how effective a "party wizard" you are. If the game is very short-term, or if you expect to need major magical assistance pretty much NOW in order to survive, I can stick with the Wizard 5 build. But the Paragon version will be a much more well-rounded and interesting character, who's just 1 level behind compared to a straight Wizard in terms of effectiveness.

Conceptually, he's a character who, even if he was built as a Wizard from level 1, never actually knew anything about magic for most of his early life; he was simply a highly intellectual, somewhat unsociable person who, at some point early in life, came into possession of a set of draftsman's tools and devoted much of his free time to mastering their use. Since this is not a highly industrialized society, it was not possible to "be" anything such as an architect or a graphic designer or the like, but he would be hired freelance by people who had those kinds of jobs, usually rich eccentrics who may or may not have secretly been wizards. Just owning an accurate ruler, protractor, compass, and array of pencils and pens would have been a big deal in a largely medieval setting, so he would have been "that guy" for most of his formative years. Then at some point, it came to his attention that the practice drawings he would do when not on a job had mystical significance, and someone offered him the basics of arcane instruction, which he proved to be an extreme prodigy at. He has something to the overall effect of Asperger's Syndrome, which is probably not diagnosed or understood in a D&D gameworld; it nicely explains his 8 Charisma and 18-20 Intelligence (depending on whether he Paragons or not), but also influences his characterization in a number of other ways.

Name: Relgar Aspergim
Alignment: TBD

Abilities (28-point buy)
STR 8 (pb 0)
DEX 14 (pb 6)
CON 10 (pb 2)
INT 18 (pb 16)
WIS 12 (pb 4)
CHA 8 (pb 0)

Class Progression A: Wizard 5
Level 1 Skills: Concentration 4, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Mathematics, other Knowledges, Profession, Spellcraft
Feat (level 1): Able Learner
Feat (human):
Feat (level 3): Wild Talent
Feat (wizard 5): Invisible Needle

Class Progression B: Human Paragon 3 / Wizard 2
Level 1 Skills: Concentration, Disable Device, Knowledge: Mathematics, Search, Choose 6 others
Feat (level 1): Wild Talent
Feat (human):
Feat (level 3): Sunlight Eyes
Feat (paragon 2):

Typically Prepared Spells
Grade 0:
Grade 1:
Grade 2:
Grade 3 (wizard 5 version only): Dispel Magic

Spellbook (with page numbers - all cantrips in the back for convenience, so I don't have to count them right away)
Grade 0:
Grade 1:
Grade 2:
Last edited by willpell on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:54 am

willpell wrote:Working on my Wizard now. There are two versions of him, depending on whether I want to be a straight-up Wizard 5, whose next level is Wizard 6, or if I want to do three levels of Human Paragon interspersed with Wizard levels, so that only the first level misses out on spellcasting. Either way, he goes into the Geometer prestige class after his sixth level (it requires 3rd-level spellcasting and 9 ranks in Wizard class skills, though I will probably select a couple of those for his Paragon levels). Obviously it makes a huge difference, given that we're at level 5 right now, because it's the difference between having three "Grade 3" (to use my own terminology) spells and not having any, and whether or not you can Dispel Magic once or twice a day is a pretty big determining factor in how effective a "party wizard" you are. If the game is very short-term, or if you expect to need major magical assistance pretty much NOW in order to survive, I can stick with the Wizard 5 build. But the Paragon version will be a much more well-rounded and interesting character, who's just 1 level behind compared to a straight Wizard in terms of effectiveness.
I don't foresee the game being a short-term one. Of course, the others might be less inclined to keep it going. It started in 2013, so it's been going for a while.

Regardess, I'd say go with the more interesting option.
Conceptually, he's a character who, even if he was built as a Wizard from level 1, never actually knew anything about magic for most of his early life; he was simply a highly intellectual, somewhat unsociable person who, at some point early in life, came into possession of a set of draftsman's tools and devoted much of his free time to mastering their use. Since this is not a highly industrialized society, it was not possible to "be" anything such as an architect or a graphic designer or the like, but he would be hired freelance by people who had those kinds of jobs, usually rich eccentrics who may or may not have secretly been wizards. Just owning an accurate ruler, protractor, compass, and array of pencils and pens would have been a big deal in a largely medieval setting, so he would have been "that guy" for most of his formative years. Then at some point, it came to his attention that the practice drawings he would do when not on a job had mystical significance, and someone offered him the basics of arcane instruction, which he proved to be an extreme prodigy at. He has something to the overall effect of Asperger's Syndrome, which is probably not diagnosed or understood in a D&D gameworld; it nicely explains his 8 Charisma and 18-20 Intelligence (depending on whether he Paragons or not), but also influences his characterization in a number of other ways.
While the world isn't industrialized, Bluffside does have some engineering to it. Specifically, there are steam-powered elevators that allow access to the Cavern Harbor of the Undercity. There is a god connected to the city known as Hlarin, The Builder. The god is also known as the Great Inventor. He is primarily worshiped by steam gnomes, but he also has worshipers who are tinkers, crafters, and sages.

Also, history and archaeology are important to the history of Bluffside. The ruins of Sem La Vah sit at the 'center' of the city in-between all the various districts.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:47 pm

"Steam gnomes". Oooookaythen. ;)

So yeah, he probably draws a few maps and charts for both of those groups, but lacks the special skills for either engineering or archaeology, having chosen to specialize mostly in arcana instead. I think I will go ahead and take Knowledge: Mathematics, even if it doesn't really do anything, just because it fits. I've done it before, after all.

Next stage in the completion process will be edited in above.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:37 pm

willpell wrote:"Steam gnomes". Oooookaythen. ;)
Think less steampunkish and more gritty industrial.
So yeah, he probably draws a few maps and charts for both of those groups, but lacks the special skills for either engineering or archaeology, having chosen to specialize mostly in arcana instead. I think I will go ahead and take Knowledge: Mathematics, even if it doesn't really do anything, just because it fits. I've done it before, after all.

Next stage in the completion process will be edited in above.
Okay, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If you want more information about the city, let me know.

BTW, here's a look at the city proper...

Each district is self contained with the ancient ruins at the center of the map. There is a larger version of this map posted on my World of Kulan Facebook Group.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Here, I'll finally do some more work on this, before I go back to doing work on my actual job.
willpell wrote:Working on my Wizard now. There are two versions of him, depending on whether I want to be a straight-up Wizard 5, whose next level is Wizard 6, or if I want to do three levels of Human Paragon interspersed with Wizard levels, so that only the first level misses out on spellcasting. Either way, he goes into the Geometer prestige class after his sixth level (it requires 3rd-level spellcasting and 9 ranks in Wizard class skills, though I will probably select a couple of those for his Paragon levels). Obviously it makes a huge difference, given that we're at level 5 right now, because it's the difference between having three "Grade 3" (to use my own terminology) spells and not having any, and whether or not you can Dispel Magic once or twice a day is a pretty big determining factor in how effective a "party wizard" you are. If the game is very short-term, or if you expect to need major magical assistance pretty much NOW in order to survive, I can stick with the Wizard 5 build. But the Paragon version will be a much more well-rounded and interesting character, who's just 1 level behind compared to a straight Wizard in terms of effectiveness.

Abilities (28-point buy)
STR 8 (pb 0)
DEX 14 (pb 6)
CON 10 (pb 2)
INT 18 (pb 16)
WIS 12 (pb 4)
CHA 8 (pb 0)

Level 1 Skills: Concentration 4, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Mathematics, other Knowledges, Profession, Spellcraft
Feat (human):

Class Progression B: Human Paragon 3 / Wizard 2
Level 1 Skills: Concentration, Disable Device, Knowledge: Mathematics, Search, Choose 6 others
Feat (human):
Feat (paragon 2):

Grade 0: 4
Grade 1: Magic Missile*, 2 others
Grade 2: Summon Swarm, 1 other
Grade 3 (wizard 5 version only): Dispel Magic, Summon Monster 3

Spellbook (with page numbers - all cantrips in the back for convenience, so I don't have to count them right away)
Grade 0:
Grade 1: Magic Missile
Grade 2: Summon Swarm**

* Note that according to the RAW, reserve feats can never be powered by a first-level spell, but I have a really great explanation of the Invisible Needle feat's relationship to the Magic Missile spell. One possible solution is to use the Heighten Spell feat to prepare Magic Missile as a 3rd, but the result is very different. So I was wondering if you'd consider allowing some sort of a ruling that allows me to use the first-level spell for the purpose, especially on the version of the character that doesn't yet have 3rd-level spells (and thus doesn't qualify for this particular reserve feat by RAW, although these assigned level requirements are pretty random). We can always correct the ruling later if you decide that it's OP (presumably Wotco designed the Reserve feats with these restrictions "for balance reasons", but then Wotco thought it would be overpowered to let a level 1 Fighter have both Dodge and Mobility along with Weapon Focus, unless of course he's a human).

** The Raw version summons only rat, bat, and spider swarms. I can live with these options if strictly necessary, but I'd be interested in switching them out for more interesting and concept-appropriate swarms of similar power level, homebrewed if they don't exist, at some point. Spell research could be a prerequisite. Basically, I just think that if he picked up a scroll of the standard "vampire-tastic" version, he'd wrinkle his nose and make a mental note to "do better", before reluctantly copying the scroll as-written "for now".

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:16 am

willpell wrote:* Note that according to the RAW, reserve feats can never be powered by a first-level spell, but I have a really great explanation of the Invisible Needle feat's relationship to the Magic Missile spell. One possible solution is to use the Heighten Spell feat to prepare Magic Missile as a 3rd, but the result is very different. So I was wondering if you'd consider allowing some sort of a ruling that allows me to use the first-level spell for the purpose, especially on the version of the character that doesn't yet have 3rd-level spells (and thus doesn't qualify for this particular reserve feat by RAW, although these assigned level requirements are pretty random). We can always correct the ruling later if you decide that it's OP (presumably Wotco designed the Reserve feats with these restrictions "for balance reasons", but then Wotco thought it would be overpowered to let a level 1 Fighter have both Dodge and Mobility along with Weapon Focus, unless of course he's a human).

** The Raw version summons only rat, bat, and spider swarms. I can live with these options if strictly necessary, but I'd be interested in switching them out for more interesting and concept-appropriate swarms of similar power level, homebrewed if they don't exist, at some point. Spell research could be a prerequisite. Basically, I just think that if he picked up a scroll of the standard "vampire-tastic" version, he'd wrinkle his nose and make a mental note to "do better", before reluctantly copying the scroll as-written "for now".
If you really want to use Reserve feats, then i ask you to stick to the RAW. I'd rather see how they work in the game. If it feels underpowered to me, we can extend it beyond the RAW.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Switching the Paragon version so he hasn't completed his progression yet; it cuts back on the skills I need to fix, but avoids the need to shop for a Feat until next level, when he can take Invisible Needle along with one other feat, and the Wizard version just gets that feat.

I may regret blowing a feat on Skill Focus for Profession, but I've heard that playing a wizard is gold-intensive, so I figure I need to be able to substantially exceed WBL in order to pay for spellbooks and scribing new spells. It's appropriate that a contractor who does unreliable but extremely sophisticated work would charge extreme prices, and thus would have a very powerful Profession check, letting him bring in fairly large (by non-adventurer standards, at least) quantities of gold in a few weeks of dedicated work.
willpell wrote:Either way, he goes into the Geometer prestige class after his sixth level.

Abilities (28-point buy)
STR 8 (pb 0)
DEX 14 (pb 6)
CON 10 (pb 2)
INT 18 (pb 16)
WIS 12 (pb 4)
CHA 8 (pb 0)

Level 1 Skills: Concentration 4, Craft, Disable Device 1 (cc), Decipher Script 4, Knowledge: Arcana 4, Knowledge: Mathematics 2, Profession (draftsman) 4, Spellcraft 4, Search 1 (cc)
Feat (human): Skill Focus (profession: draftsman)

Uh-oh, it starts to look as though the Wizard version isn't capable of getting Geometer at all.... He may not have enough skill points to meet the prerequisites without sinking his Wizard skills (unless I switch one of his feats for Open-Minded).

Class Progression B: Human Paragon 2 / Wizard 3
Level 1 Skills: Concentration, Disable Device, Knowledge: Mathematics, Profession (draftsman), Search, Choose 5 others
Level 2 Skills: Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Mathematics, Profession (draftsman), Search, Spellcraft

Grade 1: Magic Missile, 2 others
Grade 3 (wizard 5 version only): Dispel Magic, Summon Monster 3, (something Force I don't have time to look up)

Grade 0:
Grade 2: Summon Swarm

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:03 pm

And then later deciding that I do want my feat slots, even if I don't know what for. So I'm dropping the Wild Talent, which was meant to pre-qualify him for other psionic feats later, but I'll spare myself the effort of researching them right now, as he won't really have the feat slots anyway. The only benefit Wild Talent alone gives a character is the ability to achieve psionic focus, which in turn is only useful for "taking 15" on Concentration checks; that would be fitting for the near-psychotic level of attention that an Aspie can devote to one subject at a time, but such fittingness is insufficient, given the mechanical downside.

Race: Human
Class: Wizard, possibly with two Racial Paragon levels mixed in.
Level: 5

Abilities (or Attributes as I like to call them)

STR 8 (pb 0)
DEX 14 (pb 6)
CON 10 (pb 2)
INT 18 (pb 16)
WIS 12 (pb 4)
CHA 8 (pb 0)

FEATS

Feat (level 1): Able Learner (if not Paragon, otherwise pick 1)
Feat (wizard 1): Scribe Scroll
Feat (wizard 5): Invisible Needle (if not Paragon)
One additional feat is to be selected if he's a Paragon. If he's a straight Wizard, feats are done. (I decided I'd take Sunlight Eyes regardless, though I may change my mind on that; it's not a super-interesting feat. Maybe if you change your mind on Reserve Feats later, I'll retrain this rather boring one away and be satisfied with the houseruled version of the other.)
And bonus feat per campaign houserule.

Level 1 Skills (28 pts): Concentration 4, Craft, Decipher Script 4, Disable Device 2 (cc), Knowledge: Arcana 4, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering 3, Knowledge: Mathematics 1, Profession (draftsman) 4, Spellcraft 4, Search 2 (cc).
Level 2 Skills (35 pts): Concentration 5, Craft, Decipher Script 5, Disable Device 2 (cc), Knowledge: Arcana 5, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering 4, Knowledge: Mathematics 2, Profession (draftsman) 5, Spellcraft 5, Search 2 (cc).
Level 3 Skills (42 pts): Concentration 6, Craft, Decipher Script 6, Disable Device 3 (cc), Knowledge: Arcana 6, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering 4, Knowledge: Mathematics 2, Profession (draftsman) 6, Spellcraft 6, Search 3 (cc).
Level 4 Skills (49 pts): Concentration 7, Craft, Decipher Script 7, Disable Device 3 (cc), Knowledge: Arcana 7, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering 5, Knowledge: Mathematics 2, Knowledge: The Planes 1, Profession (draftsman) 7, Spellcraft 7, Search 3 (cc).
Level 5 Skills (56 pts): Concentration 8, Craft, Decipher Script 8, Disable Device 4 (cc), Knowledge: Arcana 8, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering 5, Knowledge: Mathematics 2, Knowledge: The Planes 1, Profession (draftsman) 8, Spellcraft 8, Search 4 (cc).

Okay, so he easily qualifies to become a Geometer next level, even with "only" 7 skill points per level. But he doesn't get to have any of the extra personalizing touches which the Paragon version can afford - to borrow a Call of Cthulhu term, he doesn't get any "personal interest skills", just the ones that come with the Wizard package (other than some of the Knowledge choices being a bit eccentric for a wizard, differing drastically from a stereotypical Merlin/Gandalf/Raistlin/Rincewind/Elminster type).

Level 1 Skills: Appraise 2, Balance 3, Concentration 4, Diplomacy 1, Disable Device 4, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering 4, Knowledge: Mathematics 4, Profession (draftsman) 4, Search 4, Sleight of Hand 2. (Rejected for now: Spot, Move Silently, and Perform: Speed Drawing. If the DM will allow it, I'll retroactively replace the Knowledges and Concentration with those, since they can be taken with wizard skill points, but as a level 1 character he should definitely have had those, as they are essential to his core concept.) A single rank in Decipher Script and one in Use Magic Device purchased cross-class for 2 skill points, solely for flavor reasons; I figure he first drew the attention of the wizarding world when he came across a scroll or something, and successfully translated much of it into common-sense terms despite knowing nothing about spellcraft or arcana, solely based on the geometric properties of the scribe's diagrams.

Ahem; that got away from me a bit. I repeat:

Level 1 Skills (paragon 1, 36 pts): Appraise +2, Balance +3, Concentration +4, Diplomacy +1, Decipher Script +1 (cc, 2 pts), Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +4, Knowledge: Mathematics +4, Profession (draftsman) +4, Search +4, Sleight of Hand +2, Use Magic Device +1 (cc, 2 pts).

Level 2 Skills (wizard +7 pts, total 43): Appraise +2, Balance +3, Concentration +5, Craft, Decipher Script +3 (first rank cc@2 pts), Diplolmacy +1, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Arcana+2, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +4, Knowledge: Mathematics +4, Profession (draftsman) +4, Search +4, Spellcraft+2, Sleight of Hand +2, Use Magic Device +1 (cc, 2 pts).

Level 3 Skills (paragon +9 pts, total 52): Appraise +2, Balance +5, Concentration +6, Craft, Decipher Script +3 (first rank cc@2 pts), Diplomacy +3, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Arcana+2, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +5, Knowledge: Mathematics +4, Profession (draftsman) +5, Search +4, Spellcraft+2, Sleight of Hand +4, Use Magic Device +1 (cc, 2 pts).

Level 4 Skills (wizard +7 pts, total 59): Appraise +2, Balance +5, Concentration +7, Craft, Decipher Script +5 (first rank cc@2 pts), Diplomacy +3, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Arcana+5, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +5, Knowledge: Mathematics +4, Profession (draftsman) +5, Search +4, Spellcraft+3, Sleight of Hand +4, Use Magic Device +1 (cc, 2 pts).

Level 5 Skills (wizard +7 pts, total 66): Appraise +2, Balance +5, Concentration +8, Craft, Decipher Script +8 (first rank cc@2 pts), Diplomacy +3, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Arcana+8, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +5, Knowledge: Mathematics +4, Profession (draftsman) +5, Search +4, Spellcraft+3, Sleight of Hand +4, Use Magic Device +1 (cc, 2 pts).

Okay, so that was painful and embarassing. The Paragon version gets plenty of skill points, but most of the skills I picked as his paragon skills are flavor-based and useless, or required as prerequisites for Geometer, and I don't especially need to buy them up. But he has to spend some of his extra points on cross-class Wizard skills! And he still doesn't get to buy the "personal" stuff! I can probably replace Appraise with Move Silently or Spot, and get those skills at decent levels, and avoid the pointless single rank in UMD, but there still seems to be no way, unless I completely abandon versimilitude and make strictly optimization choices, to use all my points for maximum efficiency.

Come to think of it, why don't I go ahead and do that, just to see what it looks like.

Level 1 Skills (paragon 1, 36 pts): Appraise +2, Balance +4, Concentration +4, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +4, Move Silently +4, Profession (draftsman) +4, Search +4, Sleight of Hand +2, Spot +4

There, that selection leaves out the strictly-flavor choices (other than Appraise and Profession); he still wastes three of his Paragon picks on Wizard skills, but it can't be helped, he'll never have enough Wizard skill points otherwise. Learning Diplomacy ought to be hard for a Spergersmancer, so I'm fine with dropping that single rank along with the UMD one, although I will still have problems with how fast I need to fill up nine Decipher Script ranks in only three Wizard levels. (And I need to switch back to my original Paragon-Wizard-Paragon-Wizard-Paragon progression, despite the Feat-related difficulties, because otherwise my sixth level will require cross-class purchasing of his 9th ranks in two Wizard skills.

Level 2 Skills (wizard +7 pts, total 43): Appraise +2, Balance +4, Concentration +4, Craft, Decipher Script +3, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Arcana+2, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +4, Move Silently +4, Profession (draftsman) +4, Search +4, Spellcraft+2, Sleight of Hand +2, Spot +4

Level 3 Skills (paragon +9 pts, total 52): Appraise +2, Balance +5, Concentration +6, Craft, Decipher Script +3, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Arcana+2, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +5, Move Silently +5, Profession (draftsman) +5, Search +4, Spellcraft+2, Sleight of Hand +4, Spot +5

Level 4 Skills (wizard +7 pts, total 59): Appraise +2, Balance +5, Concentration +6, Craft, Decipher Script +6, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Arcana+5, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +5, Move Silently +5, Profession (draftsman) +5, Search +4, Spellcraft+3, Sleight of Hand +4, Spot +5.

Level 5 Skills (paragon +9 pts, total 68): Appraise +2, Balance +5, Concentration +8, Craft, Decipher Script +6, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Arcana+5, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +5, Move Silently +8, Profession (draftsman) +5, Search +4, Spellcraft+3, Sleight of Hand +5, Spot +8.

Okay, that finally gives me a workable version of his skill selection, if you can live with the amount of revisionist history involved. He can then take a Wizard level at 6th, buy three ranks of Decipher and four of Arcana, spend his other three skills as he prefers (knew I shouldn't have deleted Knowledge: Mathematics), take Invisible Needle as his 6th-level feat, and finally be ready to drive off in his Geo Metro at level 7. Once he starts (and finishes) taking the five levels of that class, he can start buying the Spellcraft ranks he needs to not be such an incompetent wizard, and buy the various purely ornamental Knowledges, Professions, and Crafts that I want him to have solely for personality reasons. I might even resort to cross-class Diplomacy ranks and the like, but I'm very proud not to have any cross-classing on this version at all, and would probably prefer to keep it that way.

MAGIC

Grade 1: Magic Missile, 2 others
Grade 3 (wizard 5 version only): Dispel Magic, Summon Monster 3, (something Force I don't have time to look up)

Grade 0:
Grade 2: Summon Swarm

There, that pretty much fixes the skills. All that's left to pick is the spells, one feat, and the bonus feat (or magic item, but pshaw I say) from your houserule. Is there anything else beyond that which you'll need to start me playing?

(On the subject of the reserve feats, the difference between RAW and my proposal is that, per RAW, when he expends his last level 3 Force spell, he completely stops being able to fire SLA needles at-will; thusly, he'll just save the main spell for emergencies, and have his 3d4 attack available at all times. With the requested houserule, he'd be able to spend the 3rd spell freely, needing to save only a single 1st, but when powering the feat with a 1st, the feat would deal only 1d4 damage, just slightly more than the Ray of Frost and Acid Splash cantrips, although untyped and with no miss chance against ethereals. Given that 1d4 is the same damage you can deal by throwing a dagger, requiring a normal hit roll rather than touch, but also being able to add Strength bonus to the damage, I don't feel like it would be overpowered for you to let me have that. My reason for asking was not at all about power level, just conceptualization. But if you're not down with me monkeying with unfamiliar rules, even when the potential harm is quite small, well I'm the exact same way so I understand completely. I'm not trying to argue with you, just to share my vision in the hopes that you'll find it as cool as I do, and that it inspires you to move out of your comfort zone into a bold new fantasy adventure.)

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Okay, that is a lot of information for me to take in (almost too much). Try not to overthink your character, please. Stats aren't as important to my games as a ground background. Pick one concept and go with it. Stick to the rules as written.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Right. I needed to know all that in order to make the decision; maybe you didn't. (But as for "stick to RAW"...well, nothing in RAW prevents me from saying that he just fell out of the sky fully-formed, but generally speaking, it's assumed he actually had a past, and thus I hesitate to build a level 5 version of him which includes a completely non-viable and concept-contrary version of his level 1 self, which exists in the build history but couldn't possibly have existed in his actual backstory. I split the difference a bit; I would definitely want to redo his skill picks if I was actually playing the Level 1 paragon.)

Here goes again.

Race: Human
Class: Wizard, possibly with three Racial Paragon levels mixed in.
Level: 5

Abilities or Attributes

STR 8 (pb 0)
DEX 14 (pb 6)
CON 10 (pb 2)
INT 18 (pb 16)
WIS 12 (pb 4)
CHA 8 (pb 0)

FEATS

Feat (level 1): Able Learner (if not Paragon, otherwise pick 1)
Feat (wizard 1): Scribe Scroll
Feat (wizard 5): Invisible Needle (if not Paragon)
One additional feat is to be selected if he's a Paragon. If he's a straight Wizard, feats are done.
And bonus feat per campaign houserule.

Level 5 Skills: Concentration 8, Craft, Decipher Script 8, Disable Device 4 (cc), Knowledge: Arcana 8, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering 5, Knowledge: Mathematics 2, Knowledge: The Planes 1, Profession (draftsman) 8, Spellcraft 8, Search 4 (cc).

Class skills are in red or purple if they were selected as his ten Human Paragon skills. Those in purple are also Wizard skills; those in blue are only Wizard skills. Paragon progression is done; his next level is Wizard, and I'll have to come up with colors that represent his Geometer exclusives after that.

Level 5 Skills (68 skill points, all spent in-class): Balance +5, Concentration +8, Craft, Decipher Script +6, Disable Device +4, Knowledge: Arcana+5, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering +5, Move Silently +8, Perform (speed drawing) +2, Profession (draftsman) +5, Search +4, Spellcraft+3, Sleight of Hand +5, Spot +8.

Future build notes which you can ignore:
He can then take a Wizard level at 6th, buy three ranks of Decipher and four of Arcana, take Invisible Needle as his 6th-level feat, and finally be ready to drive off in his Geo Metro at level 7. Once he starts (and finishes) taking the five levels of that class, he can start buying the Spellcraft ranks he needs to not be such an incompetent wizard, and buy the various purely ornamental Knowledges, Professions, and Crafts that I want him to have solely for personality reasons. I might even resort to cross-class Diplomacy ranks and the like, but I'm very proud not to have any cross-classing on this version at all, and would probably prefer to keep it that way.

MAGIC

Specialist school: Being decided, either Abjuration or Evocation.
Barred schools: Necromancy and Enchantment

Typically Prepared Spells (first one listed in every case is an Abjuration, last is an Evocation; one of these is his specialty school).
Grade 0: Resistance, Mending, Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Light
Grade 1: Lesser Deflect, Serene Visage, "Efficient Movement", Mage Armor, Magic Missile
Grade 2: Flaming Sphere, Summon Swarm, Detect Thoughts, Arcane Lock
Grade 3 (wizard 5 version only): Dispel Magic, Summon Monster 3, Leomund's Tiny Hut

Spellbook (with page numbers - all cantrips in the back for convenience)
Grade 0: Resistance, Light, Dancing Lights, Mending, Flare, Ray of Frost, Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message, Open/Close, Ghost Sound, Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Read Magic - 16 total cantrips occupying pages 85-100.
Grade 1: Lesser Deflect, Mage Armor, Expeditious Retreat, Serene Visage, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant
Grade 2: Detect Thoughts, Arcane Lock, Summon Swarm, Flaming Sphere*, Mirror Image, Master's Touch, Web
Grade 3 (wizard 5 version only): Dispel Magic, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Summon Monster 3

* They tell a little story when listed in that order, don't they? :twisted:

Spell Acquisition History (all assume that he paid the standard Gradex50gp surcharge suggested in the PHB for the privilege of copying a spell from another wizard's spellbooks, in addition to the Gradex100gp cost for special inks and such).
First Wizard Level: All cantrips and 7 grade-1 spells for free. (Only six yet selected.)
Purchased on a level 1-2 budget: Probably none.
Wizard 2 Free Spells: 2 more grade-1s (at least 9 total).
Purchased during level 2 or 3: Still probably none.
Wizard 3 Free Spells: Arcane Lock and Flaming Sphere.
Purchased during level 3-4: Summon Swarm (300 gp)
Wizard 4 Free Spells: Detect Thoughts, Master's Touch
Purchased during level 4-5: Web, Mirror Image (600 gp)
Wizard 5 Free Spells (if any): Dispel Magic, Leomund's Tiny Hut
For simplicity's sake, I'll assume that the Wizard 5 version has just emerged from his sanctum, in which he scribed a Summon Monster 3 scroll along with the two spells he was busily researching for free. This costs a final 450 gp. This way, I can do his "shopping" for grade-3 spells in the course of play, rather than needing to deal with it now.

WBL unspent: 8100 GP if Paragon, 7650 GP if pure Wizard. Obviously I can afford to splurge a bit yet, but I'm not even done picking 1sts, so I won't worry about any more 2nds than I've already managed to think of for a while.

Grade 1 "Shopping List"

•Abjuration
Alarm (F)
Shield

•Evocation
Bigby's Helpful Hand (F)
Bigby's Tripping Finger (M)
Burning Hands
Tenser's Floating Disk (M)
Shocking Grasp

•Evocation/Conjuration
Kelgore's Fire Bolt (M)

•Conjuration
Grease (M)
Obscuring Mist
Summon Monster 1 (R) (F)

•Transmutation
Burning Rage
Enlarge Person (R) (M)
Erase
Expeditious Retreat, Swift
Feather Fall (I) (G)
Jump (M) (+)
Magic Weapon (M)
Reduce Person (R) (M)

•Divination
Comprehend Languages (M)
Detect Secret Doors
Gain Proficiency (G) (S) (technically F)
True Strike (G) (F)

•Illusion
Color Spray (M)
Disguise Self
Silent Image (F)
Ventriloquism (G) (F)

Grade 2 "Shopping List"

•Abjuration
Deflect (I) (G) (+)
Obscure Object (M)
Protection from Arrows (F)
Resist Energy (F)

•Evocation
Bigby's Striking Fist*
Bigby's Warding Hand*
Electric Vengeance*
Gust of Wind
Ice Darts
Scorching Ray
Seeking Ray*
Shatter (M)

•Conjuration
Cloud of Knives (M)-2 or 22.
Dimension Hop*
Fog Cloud
Glitterdust (M)
Melf's Acid Arrow (F) (M)

•Transmutation
Animalistic Power*
Alter Self
Bear's Endurance (M)
Body of the Sun**
Bull's Strength (M)
Cat's Grace (M)
Celerity, Lesser (I) (G)
Eagle's Splendor (M)
Earthen Grasp (M)
Energy Surge, Lesser*
Fox's Cunning (M)
Knock (G)
Levitate (F)
Owl's Wisdom (M)
Rope Trick (M)
Spider Climb (M)
Stretch Weapon (S)
Whispering Wind

•Divination
Insight of Good Fortune*
Locate Object (F)
See Invisibility (M)
Sure Strike*

•Illusion
Blinding Color Surge*
Blur
Hypnotic Pattern (V) (M)
Invisibility (M)
Minor Image (F)
Vertigo*

Working from those long lists (already trimmed quite a bit, but this is too important a decision to rush), I will narrow down exactly which spells I've bought, and figure out whether I can afford any magic items. I would prefer to handwave ordinary gear, leaving about 100 GP out of my WBL to cover "retroactive purchase" of anything I can think of which might be useful. If you're uncomfortable with that, I can sit down and itemize every sewing needle and piece of chalk, but that's really not the game style I prefer, and it's a lot of very fiddly work.

Is there anything else beyond that which you'll need to start me playing?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:51 am

Itemize the important adventuring gear and eyeball everything else. (I will want to see a proper list at some point.)

I'd like to get some thoughts about how you see the character fitting into the world. You don't have to be super specific, but give me some character traits and some ideas about his family. That sort of thing.

Also, alignment. I need to know what your thinking regarding the law vs. chaos aspect and morality. Any Good or neutral alignment is fine. Do not pick an evil alignment for this campaign. (I'm fairly certain we've had a conversation about this already, but I want to be clear.)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”