[Kulan] Western Kanpur|Bluffside PbP Campaign Guide

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Post Reply
User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Character traits are things like "withdrawn", "quiet", "antisocial" - like I said, he's Aspergers in a world where that isn't a diagnosed condition, so most people just think he's rude and doesn't like people, and he actually doesn't for the most part, because they never understand him. He believes in the concrete realities of something beginning to vaguely resemble science (and later in magic, which he approaches very scientifically); he doesn't "get" people with their squishy emotions and seeming to communicate on an invisible wavelength, and it irritates him that he has to deal with their way of approaching the world, just because they outnumber him.

Moral alignment is almost certainly Neutral, with a slight lean toward Good as defined by Law; unlike most of my characters, he'd probably abhor the general definition of Chaos, though he might shake out to be Chaotic just based on his lonerish nature. But if Law includes Monks while Paladins are defined more in terms of Good than of Law, then he's pretty definitely Lawful Neutral or leaning very strongly so. Defining the law/chaos index as I see it would take a long time; rather than writing anything new for this character right now, I'll just suggest that you look at the alignment thread in Apotheon (Ashtagon's personal CS, indexed in The Crunchy Bits even though it's more of a fluff discussion in this case). It shouldn't be hard to find.

I really kind of hate shopping for gear in D&D. As a wizard, especially one who explicitly doesn't have a Spell Component Pouch, he doesn't need much in the way of expensive items (until he can afford a staff); no +2 Full Plate or Dancing Vorpal Greatsword or anything. He wouldn't bother to enchant the quarterstaff he probably carries (or maybe just a dagger/knife), since they're unlikely to be used much. He probably has a lot of very specific possessions, but I would rather not sit down and list them out OOC, even though it would be very IC to do exactly that. It's just a lot of work for not much reward, and it would take time I don't really have.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:32 pm

willpell wrote:Character traits are things like "withdrawn", "quiet", "antisocial" - like I said, he's Aspergers in a world where that isn't a diagnosed condition, so most people just think he's rude and doesn't like people, and he actually doesn't for the most part, because they never understand him. He believes in the concrete realities of something beginning to vaguely resemble science (and later in magic, which he approaches very scientifically); he doesn't "get" people with their squishy emotions and seeming to communicate on an invisible wavelength, and it irritates him that he has to deal with their way of approaching the world, just because they outnumber him.
Right, I forgot about how you described him as having that condition. Thanks for the clarification.
willpell wrote:Moral alignment is almost certainly Neutral, with a slight lean toward Good as defined by Law; unlike most of my characters, he'd probably abhor the general definition of Chaos, though he might shake out to be Chaotic just based on his lonerish nature. But if Law includes Monks while Paladins are defined more in terms of Good than of Law, then he's pretty definitely Lawful Neutral or leaning very strongly so. Defining the law/chaos index as I see it would take a long time; rather than writing anything new for this character right now, I'll just suggest that you look at the alignment thread in Apotheon (Ashtagon's personal CS, indexed in The Crunchy Bits even though it's more of a fluff discussion in this case). It shouldn't be hard to find.
For World of Kulan (as per the PHB), monks are always Lawful, regardless of the Good vs. Evil axis. Paladins are defined by both Law and Good, but like I mentioned in the PM, there are other holy warriors for each alignment as per one of the update issues of Dragon for D&D v.3.5. Thus, a paladin must find the balance between his dedication to order and to the ideals of good.

If you want to see how the planes are laid out for Kulan's cosmology, you should check out my Mirrored Cosmology thread. Kulan doesn't exist in the standard Great Wheel cosmology of Planescape but it is similar (to a point).
I really kind of hate shopping for gear in D&D. As a wizard, especially one who explicitly doesn't have a Spell Component Pouch, he doesn't need much in the way of expensive items (until he can afford a staff); no +2 Full Plate or Dancing Vorpal Greatsword or anything. He wouldn't bother to enchant the quarterstaff he probably carries (or maybe just a dagger/knife), since they're unlikely to be used much. He probably has a lot of very specific possessions, but I would rather not sit down and list them out OOC, even though it would be very IC to do exactly that. It's just a lot of work for not much reward, and it would take time I don't really have.
Yes, picking out gear is a pain, but it's an important step.

Like I said, worry about picking the adventuring gear that you believe your PC is going to need for sure, and we can go over the rest at some other point. For example, rations aren't a huge deal since the campaign hasn't left the city of Bluffside. He'll need a spellbook, for sure. And why would you say he doesn't need a spell component pouch? Is that a Human Pargon thing? I didn't see the Eschew Components feat on your build(s).

If you'd prefer, use the Weapons and Gear listed for the Elf Wizard Starting Package on page 58 of the PHB and ignore the rest of what it says there. You can then use up the rest of your starting gold how you see fit. :idea:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Knightfall wrote:For World of Kulan (as per the PHB), monks are always Lawful, regardless of the Good vs. Evil axis. Paladins are defined by both Law and Good, but like I mentioned in the PM, there are other holy warriors for each alignment as per one of the update issues of Dragon for D&D v.3.5. Thus, a paladin must find the balance between his dedication to order and to the ideals of good.
Okay, I only brought that up in an attempt to clarify an abstruse moral point.
If you want to see how the planes are laid out for Kulan's cosmology, you should check out my Mirrored Cosmology thread. Kulan doesn't exist in the standard Great Wheel cosmology of Planescape but it is similar (to a point).
I would just as soon learn most of this IC. I think I did take a few ranks in K:the Planes, but even if so, his knowledge probably hasn't progressed much beyond "there are Elemental Planes and Energy Planes and an Astral Plane and an Ethereal Plane and a bunch of Outer Planes tied to the alignments". He may not even have that much yet, though certainly he'll want to learn. But I'm big on minimizing meta-knowledge so as to immerse myself in the character's viewpoint.
And why would you say he doesn't need a spell component pouch? Is that a Human Pargon thing? I didn't see the Eschew Components feat on your build(s).
No, it's a personal choice on my behalf. I said while we were exchanging PMs that I greatly disliked wizards having the ability to avoid tracking the material components for their spells (thanks to SCP or EM), and then I was like "watch me decide I'm playing a wizard, so I can suffer for that opinionated rant I just did". It'll be a nuisance to have to maintain an inventory of grasshopper legs and hermetically-sealed pouches of bat guano, but I think it's part of the wizard experience that you need to do that kind of micromanagement, or else you get caught with your +5 Pants of Limitless Arcane Power down. (No, he is not the kind of wizard who wears a robe and a pointy hat.)

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:33 pm

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:For World of Kulan (as per the PHB), monks are always Lawful, regardless of the Good vs. Evil axis. Paladins are defined by both Law and Good, but like I mentioned in the PM, there are other holy warriors for each alignment as per one of the update issues of Dragon for D&D v.3.5. Thus, a paladin must find the balance between his dedication to order and to the ideals of good.
Okay, I only brought that up in an attempt to clarify an abstruse moral point.
If you want to see how the planes are laid out for Kulan's cosmology, you should check out my Mirrored Cosmology thread. Kulan doesn't exist in the standard Great Wheel cosmology of Planescape but it is similar (to a point).
I would just as soon learn most of this IC. I think I did take a few ranks in K:the Planes, but even if so, his knowledge probably hasn't progressed much beyond "there are Elemental Planes and Energy Planes and an Astral Plane and an Ethereal Plane and a bunch of Outer Planes tied to the alignments". He may not even have that much yet, though certainly he'll want to learn. But I'm big on minimizing meta-knowledge so as to immerse myself in the character's viewpoint.
And why would you say he doesn't need a spell component pouch? Is that a Human Pargon thing? I didn't see the Eschew Components feat on your build(s).
No, it's a personal choice on my behalf. I said while we were exchanging PMs that I greatly disliked wizards having the ability to avoid tracking the material components for their spells (thanks to SCP or EM), and then I was like "watch me decide I'm playing a wizard, so I can suffer for that opinionated rant I just did". It'll be a nuisance to have to maintain an inventory of grasshopper legs and hermetically-sealed pouches of bat guano, but I think it's part of the wizard experience that you need to do that kind of micromanagement, or else you get caught with your +5 Pants of Limitless Arcane Power down. (No, he is not the kind of wizard who wears a robe and a pointy hat.)
For a SCP, I don't expect you to itemize every component. I hate that fact about 2E. With the PHB cost of the SCP, I assume your PC will have access to the components he'll need, as long as they aren't expensive components (anything that costs more than 3 to 5 GP). Tracking components is way too much work for any game, IMO. We can simply say your PC pays a certain amount per month to replace anything he needs (maybe half of the standard SCP cost?). We'll figure it out.

FYI, there aren't any +/- energy planes in the cosmology, but the spells that rely on +/- energy work the same. The astral plane and plane of shadow are replaced by something called the Shadowstar Sea. The Ethereal Plane is the same (sort of).
willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:I's say, concentrate on the 3E Bluffside PC.
I'd be happy to...as far as I'm concerned, he's essentially done. Pretty much the only thing that's left to do is spend his 8500GP in savings on various useful things, and that could be handled IC (waiving the 24 hours per spell scribing time).
You don't have to worry about the cost of inscribing spells in your spellbook as a brand new character. I assume your PC will have the standard spell allotment in his spellbook for his level. You only have to worry about the cost of inscribing new spells once the character gains his next level.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Knightfall wrote:For a SCP, I don't expect you to itemize every component. I hate that fact about 2E. With the PHB cost of the SCP, I assume your PC will have access to the components he'll need, as long as they aren't expensive components (anything that costs more than 3 to 5 GP). Tracking components is way too much work for any game, IMO. We can simply say your PC pays a certain amount per month to replace anything he needs (maybe half of the standard SCP cost?). We'll figure it out.
Fair enough. I don't exactly like the inventory, but I do feel it's appropriate; the purist in me wants to force me to suffer. But ultimately, it's your call as GM if you don't want to do that much work.
You don't have to worry about the cost of inscribing spells in your spellbook as a brand new character. I assume your PC will have the standard spell allotment in his spellbook for his level. You only have to worry about the cost of inscribing new spells once the character gains his next level.
I am not aware of any "standard allotment". The PHB rules are that you start with INT+3 firsts, then you get 2 firsts free at 2nd level, then you get 2 seconds free at 3rd level, 2 more at 4th level, and 2 free thirds at 5th level. So I have to have purchased spells in order to possibly know more than four "Grade 2" spells, and I definitely wanted more than that many. I'm content to have just the 2nds I've already picked, and to have (if applicable) JUST hit Wizard 5, so I only barely understand "Grade 3" and have only two spells for it (although I did want a third one ideally...maybe I'll give him Summon Monster 1 as an easier explanation for how he was able to figure out SumMon 3, even though 1 is pretty useless once you have something higher). But I haven't picked out as many 1sts as the system already gives me (a total of 9, I could only think of like 6).

Now, if you wanted to say I don't have to pay the 50-gp-per-spell-"level" surcharge, because there are wizards in Bluffside who give their magical learning away for free, then great. But I'll probably just keep that extra gold rather than pick out more spells. So like I said, a few more 1sts for sure, and maybe some more 2nds, but I could probably live with what I have now. However, I have a LOT of gold left. A-lot-a-lot. I could sit here and pick out literally a hundred low-level spells I think, but don't really want to.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:55 pm

willpell wrote:
You don't have to worry about the cost of inscribing spells in your spellbook as a brand new character. I assume your PC will have the standard spell allotment in his spellbook for his level. You only have to worry about the cost of inscribing new spells once the character gains his next level.
I am not aware of any "standard allotment". The PHB rules are that you start with INT+3 firsts, then you get 2 firsts free at 2nd level, then you get 2 seconds free at 3rd level, 2 more at 4th level, and 2 free thirds at 5th level.
That is what I meant.
So I have to have purchased spells in order to possibly know more than four "Grade 2" spells, and I definitely wanted more than that many. I'm content to have just the 2nds I've already picked, and to have (if applicable) JUST hit Wizard 5, so I only barely understand "Grade 3" and have only two spells for it (although I did want a third one ideally...maybe I'll give him Summon Monster 1 as an easier explanation for how he was able to figure out SumMon 3, even though 1 is pretty useless once you have something higher). But I haven't picked out as many 1sts as the system already gives me (a total of 9, I could only think of like 6).

Now, if you wanted to say I don't have to pay the 50-gp-per-spell-"level" surcharge, because there are wizards in Bluffside who give their magical learning away for free, then great. But I'll probably just keep that extra gold rather than pick out more spells. So like I said, a few more 1sts for sure, and maybe some more 2nds, but I could probably live with what I have now. However, I have a LOT of gold left. A-lot-a-lot. I could sit here and pick out literally a hundred low-level spells I think, but don't really want to.
If you want to fill out your PCs spellbook with a few more spells, I'll say you can add new spells at half the standard cost (so, 25 gp-per-spell-"level"), but only as many as the PC gets as bonus spells (based on his Int.) on p. 8 of the PHB.

So, 1 1st, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd.

After that, you have to pay the cost as normal. :)
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:41 am

Knightfall wrote:That is what I meant.
Right, well I thought you were saying ONLY that, and no option to have more unless if I RPed it out. Which would definitely decide me in favor of the Paragon version, because I don't buy that anyone could get to the point of learning Grade 3 spells without ever having learned more than four Grade 2s (at least not unless such narrow focus was their whole shtick).
If you want to fill out your PCs spellbook with a few more spells, I'll say you can add new spells at half the standard cost (so, 25 gp-per-spell-"level"), but only as many as the PC gets as bonus spells (based on his Int.) on p. 8 of the PHB.

So, 1 1st, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd.

After that, you have to pay the cost as normal. :)
Okay, well every discount is appreciated. But so that we're clear, the standard cost is normally 100 gp per spell grade, for "special inks" and such (as bemoaned by Vaarsuvius here - actually he's apparently using 50xlevel gp, but that's not what it says in the actual rules, under "Materials and Cost"). The 50 gp part is mentioned under "Spells copied from another wizard's spellbook", but it's worded as a suggested typical amount for individual wizards to charge for "a favor", rather than as the kind of somehow-fixed price that every item shop in the realm is assumed to be using.

(In my CW, I created a vast and benevolently-meddlesome government largely for the purpose of explaining these mysterious standardizations, which are written into the rulebook but make no real sense in fluff terms.)

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:01 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:That is what I meant.
Right, well I thought you were saying ONLY that, and no option to have more unless if I RPed it out. Which would definitely decide me in favor of the Paragon version, because I don't buy that anyone could get to the point of learning Grade 3 spells without ever having learned more than four Grade 2s (at least not unless such narrow focus was their whole shtick).
If you want to fill out your PCs spellbook with a few more spells, I'll say you can add new spells at half the standard cost (so, 25 gp-per-spell-"level"), but only as many as the PC gets as bonus spells (based on his Int.) on p. 8 of the PHB.

So, 1 1st, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd.

After that, you have to pay the cost as normal. :)
Okay, well every discount is appreciated. But so that we're clear, the standard cost is normally 100 gp per spell grade, for "special inks" and such (as bemoaned by Vaarsuvius here - actually he's apparently using 50xlevel gp, but that's not what it says in the actual rules, under "Materials and Cost"). The 50 gp part is mentioned under "Spells copied from another wizard's spellbook", but it's worded as a suggested typical amount for individual wizards to charge for "a favor", rather than as the kind of somehow-fixed price that every item shop in the realm is assumed to be using.

(In my CW, I created a vast and benevolently-meddlesome government largely for the purpose of explaining these mysterious standardizations, which are written into the rulebook but make no real sense in fluff terms.)
:facepalm:

Okay, so either 50 gp per page standard or 25 gp per page copied from another wizard's spellbook. If you go for the latter, I want your PC to have to find a local wizard. Regardless, only the 3 spells of each level.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:17 pm

You misunderstand. My assumption was that the usual cost is BOTH of those numbers, for a total of 150xgrade.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:37 pm

willpell wrote:You misunderstand. My assumption was that the usual cost is BOTH of those numbers, for a total of 150xgrade.
Hmm, it seems like I need to reread that section of the PHB.

Regardless, 75xgrade for the three extra spells and then as normal.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Knightfall wrote:Regardless, 75xgrade for the three extra spells and then as normal.
They have to be a first, a second, and a third specifically? I already have more firsts than I really want.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:10 pm

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Regardless, 75xgrade for the three extra spells and then as normal.
They have to be a first, a second, and a third specifically? I already have more firsts than I really want.
Yes.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:23 pm

Any suggestions?

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Trying one more time to get the character finalized. I've decided that since I'm not really used to playing a Wizard, I'm going to stick to a single-class version for now, dispensing with the Paragon idea. It really stinks to have bought all those cross-class skills, and I'll be mad if you have me making a lot of Balance, Spot, and Move Silently checks, but as long as I'm acting like a Wizard, the 3rd-level spells are probably going to be a lot more important. (Plus I really want to use Invisible Needle.)

Name: Relgar Aspergim
Race: Human
Class: Wizard.
Level: 5
Alignment: True Neutral

Abilities or Attributes

STR 8 (pb 0)
DEX 14 (pb 6)
CON 10 (pb 2)
INT 18 (pb 16)
WIS 12 (pb 4)
CHA 8 (pb 0)

FEATS

Feat (level 1): Able Learner
Feat (human): Skill Focus (profession: draftsman)
Feat (wizard 1): Scribe Scroll
Feat (level 3): Wild Talent
Feat (wizard 5): Invisible Needle
And bonus feat per campaign houserule.

Level 5 Skills: Concentration 8, Craft, Decipher Script 8, Disable Device 4 (cc), Knowledge: Arcana 8, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering 5, Knowledge: Mathematics 2, Knowledge: The Planes 1, Profession (draftsman) 8, Spellcraft 8, Search 4 (cc).

MAGIC

Specialist school: Being decided, either Abjuration or Evocation.
Barred schools: Necromancy and Enchantment

Typically Prepared Spells (first one listed in every case is an Abjuration, last is an Evocation; one of these is his specialty school).
Grade 0: Resistance, Mending, Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Light
Grade 1: Lesser Deflect, Serene Visage, "Efficient Movement", Mage Armor, Magic Missile
Grade 2: Flaming Sphere, Summon Swarm, Detect Thoughts, Arcane Lock
Grade 3 (wizard 5 version only): Dispel Magic, Summon Monster 3, Leomund's Tiny Hut

Spellbook (with page numbers - all cantrips in the back for convenience)
Grade 0: Resistance, Light, Dancing Lights, Mending, Flare, Ray of Frost, Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message, Open/Close, Ghost Sound, Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Read Magic - 16 total cantrips occupying pages 85-100.
Grade 1: Lesser Deflect (p1), Mage Armor (p2), Expeditious Retreat (p3), Serene Visage (p4), Magic Missile (p5), Unseen Servant (p6), Shield (p7), Bigby's Helpful Hand (p8), Summon Monster 1 (p9), Alarm (p10)
Grade 2: Detect Thoughts (p11-12), Arcane Lock (p13-14), Summon Swarm (p15-16), Flaming Sphere* (p17-18), Mirror Image (p19-20), Master's Touch (p21-22), Web (p23-24)
Grade 3 (wizard 5 version only): Dispel Magic (p25-27), Leomund's Tiny Hut (p28-30), Summon Monster 3 (p31-33)

* They tell a little story when listed in that order, don't they? :twisted:

Spell Acquisition History (all assume that he paid the standard Gradex50gp surcharge suggested in the PHB for the privilege of copying a spell from another wizard's spellbooks, in addition to the Gradex100gp cost for special inks and such).
First Wizard Level: All cantrips and 7 grade-1 spells for free.
Purchased on a level 1-2 budget: None.
Wizard 2 Free Spells: 2 more grade-1s (9 total).
Purchased during level 2 or 3: Alarm at half price per GM houserule.
Wizard 3 Free Spells: Arcane Lock and Flaming Sphere.
Purchased during level 3-4: Summon Swarm (150 gp per GM houserule)
Wizard 4 Free Spells: Detect Thoughts, Master's Touch
Purchased during level 4-5: Web, Mirror Image (600 gp)
Wizard 5 Free Spells (if any): Dispel Magic, Leomund's Tiny Hut
For simplicity's sake, I'll assume that the Wizard 5 version has just emerged from his sanctum, in which he scribed a Summon Monster 3 scroll along with the two spells he was busily researching for free. This costs a final 225 gp per your houserule. This way, I can do his "shopping" for grade-3 spells in the course of play, rather than needing to deal with it now.

WBL unspent: 8025 GP.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:08 pm

willpell wrote:Any suggestions?
Hmm, not really.

Bluffside is on a high cliff, so maybe feather fall, just in case. Also, the PCs have face a lot of enemies who use poison.

EDIT: FYI, I've been working on my AD&D 2E campaign this weekend, which means I'm taking a short break regarding my three 3E Kulan campaigns. I might make a post sometime today but tomorrow is more likely.

Since your PC doesn't know the current PCs, we'll have to figure out a way for him to discover and find the group. They are sort of in hiding, right now.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:Any suggestions?
Hmm, not really.

Bluffside is on a high cliff, so maybe feather fall, just in case. Also, the PCs have face a lot of enemies who use poison.

EDIT: FYI, I've been working on my AD&D 2E campaign this weekend, which means I'm taking a short break regarding my three 3E Kulan campaigns. I might make a post sometime today but tomorrow is more likely.

Since your PC doesn't know the current PCs, we'll have to figure out a way for him to discover and find the group. They are sort of in hiding, right now.
I could always just stumble upon the scene and help them out...it's a cliche but it works.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:32 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:Any suggestions?
Hmm, not really.

Bluffside is on a high cliff, so maybe feather fall, just in case. Also, the PCs have face a lot of enemies who use poison.

EDIT: FYI, I've been working on my AD&D 2E campaign this weekend, which means I'm taking a short break regarding my three 3E Kulan campaigns. I might make a post sometime today but tomorrow is more likely.

Since your PC doesn't know the current PCs, we'll have to figure out a way for him to discover and find the group. They are sort of in hiding, right now.
I could always just stumble upon the scene and help them out...it's a cliche but it works.
Well, considering everything they've gone through in the game, I would not advise that. They might shoot first ask your PCs corpse questions later. The district in under martial law, and they are dealing with prisoners in an isolated locale that has a reputation for being haunted.

If your PC is in good standing with the Wizard Council, he may be a special operative looking to find out more about what is going on in the New City district. (A renegade Wizard on the loose is of major concern for the council.) More than likely, I'd have him start off alone and then discover the PCs reputation and actions. This is how the character Terger was introduced. It took some time, but I think it was rewarding for everyone.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Sounds good, let's do it. I'm eager to start RPing.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:10 am

willpell wrote:Sounds good, let's do it. I'm eager to start RPing.
I'll post you an introduction to the city tomorrow. I spent today binging on Netflix. :roll: :ugeek:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:Sounds good, let's do it. I'm eager to start RPing.
I'll post you an introduction to the city tomorrow. I spent today binging on Netflix. :roll: :ugeek:
Bad GM! No biscuit! :twisted:

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:07 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:Sounds good, let's do it. I'm eager to start RPing.
I'll post you an introduction to the city tomorrow. I spent today binging on Netflix. :roll: :ugeek:
Bad GM! No biscuit! :twisted:
It didn't happen again today. I spent the day updating my EN World pbp games and added one post here. I ran out of time and energy. It's past midnight, and I need to try to get some extra sleep tonight. I'll make your PC's game introduction my first PbP post tomorrow before anything else pbp game-related.

Time to sleep.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:54 pm

Sounds like you're very busy. Take your time; I'd rather you do it right later, instead of half-assing it sooner. But at the same time, no need to bust your hump; I don't need much to get started on.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:08 pm

Also, unless you say otherwise, I'm going to assume your PCs alignment is neutral.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Knightfall wrote:Also, unless you say otherwise, I'm going to assume your PCs alignment is neutral.
Works for now. He leans good, but perhaps not far enough. And Law/Chaos is something that needs clarifying badly; it might be accurate to say that he relies on Lawful methods to accomplish Chaotic ideals, or simply that he's an uncooperative and truculent isolationist with a purely Lawful-in-the-sense-of-discipline, but not necessarily mortal-law-abiding, perspective.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:52 am

willpell wrote:Sounds like you're very busy. Take your time; I'd rather you do it right later, instead of half-assing it sooner. But at the same time, no need to bust your hump; I don't need much to get started on.
Well, today was busier than I thought it was going to be, so it likely will have to wait until tomorrow. I might get it posted before i go to bed tonight, but I'm not going to force myself. It will get up by, at least, Friday. :roll:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Post Reply

Return to “World of Kulan”