[Kulan] Western Kanpur|Bluffside PbP Campaign Guide

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderators: Idabrius, Knightfall

Post Reply
User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 8329
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: male
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Both files download fine for me.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:24 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Both files download fine for me.
Crap, that means it's Firefox messing me up. :facepalm:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 8329
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: male
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:21 am

Knightfall wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:Both files download fine for me.
Crap, that means it's Firefox messing me up. :facepalm:
I have been using Google Chrome for years. I rarely have an issue with it.

User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:14 pm
Gender: male
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by MacConnell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm

My account was activated today. Based on what you have sent me concerning what you have and what you need, I am looking at a Monk/Cleric.
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 pm

MacConnell wrote:My account was activated today. Based on what you have sent me concerning what you have and what you need, I am looking at a Monk/Cleric.
A monk/cleric is a fine choice.

For the region, here's a list of preferred races: The Northwest. The list of races for that region is at the bottom of the post. Note that I don't necessarily have racial traits finalized for all the homebrewed races, but there are plenty of options, regardless. I'd say find a race from the Common or Uncommon lists. Some of the races are from d20 sources such as the Bluffside sourcebook and the Minions monster book from Bastion Press, as well as others. If you don't have access to those books, then just ignore those options.

You can find most of the homebrewed racial traits in my Monster Compilation threads: One and Two. Note that not everything in MC2 is done.

Also, you get a bonus feat, allocated at 3rd-level.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:14 pm
Gender: male
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by MacConnell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Knightfall wrote:A monk/cleric is a fine choice.
What total HD do I make the character?
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm

MacConnell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:A monk/cleric is a fine choice.
What total HD do I make the character?
Total character level should be 6 including level adjustment. So, if you go with a standard race, six class levels.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 pm

Knightfall wrote:Also, you get a bonus feat, allocated at 3rd-level.
Do I do this as well? So the bonus feat can have a prerequisite of 5 levels in some skill, but cannot be a "1st-level only" feat?
Knightfall wrote:
MacConnell wrote:What total HD do I make the character?
Total character level should be 6 including level adjustment. So, if you go with a standard race, six class levels.
On the other hand you can just play a Monk 1 / Cleric 1 based on an ECL 4 creature, such as a bugbear or a half-dragon....

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:43 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Also, you get a bonus feat, allocated at 3rd-level.
Do I do this as well? So the bonus feat can have a prerequisite of 5 levels in some skill, but cannot be a "1st-level only" feat?
This is the same feat as I mentions to you in the PM. My error was writing 3rd- instead of 1st-level for MacConnell. It's a bonus feat at 1st-level, not 3rd. My bad.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:48 am

What got into my head is that I have Boneguard creating a new PC for my 2E campaign, which does start at 3rd-level. I've been interacting with him and you and MacConnell. :P

That's why today I took a step back and worked on one of my Hex Maps for Almagra. I needed a break from those ongoing discussions. I'll likely be out for part of tomorrow, but I'll try to get a reply up for the Bluffside game later on in the day. If I don't get to it, it will be Thursday. (No rushing myself to post.)
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Also, you get a bonus feat, allocated at 3rd-level.
Do I do this as well? So the bonus feat can have a prerequisite of 5 levels in some skill, but cannot be a "1st-level only" feat?
This is the same feat as I mentions to you in the PM. My error was writing 3rd- instead of 1st-level for MacConnell. It's a bonus feat at 1st-level, not 3rd. My bad.
Another reference I saw indicated that the same houserule could instead be used to get a magic item. That might have been a better deal for most characters, but doesn't suit what I'm doing with Relgar, even though I have yet to think of a feat he needs either. He's not materialistic enough that he would ever opt for possessions over personal improvements.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Also, you get a bonus feat, allocated at 3rd-level.
Do I do this as well? So the bonus feat can have a prerequisite of 5 levels in some skill, but cannot be a "1st-level only" feat?
This is the same feat as I mentions to you in the PM. My error was writing 3rd- instead of 1st-level for MacConnell. It's a bonus feat at 1st-level, not 3rd. My bad.
Another reference I saw indicated that the same houserule could instead be used to get a magic item. That might have been a better deal for most characters, but doesn't suit what I'm doing with Relgar, even though I have yet to think of a feat he needs either. He's not materialistic enough that he would ever opt for possessions over personal improvements.
I wrote this in a post near the beginning of this thread...

Extra Bonus for all PCs at 1st Level
Either a bonus feat (NOT a Fighter feat or a Metamagic feat) OR an +1 to the multiplier for 1st-level skills (x4 becomes x5).
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 pm

That thing about an extra point of skills would be awesome at first level, and if it extends to later levels, it could be utterly game-breaking (qualifying for all PrCs a level sooner than expected could make it very easy to build a character who "dips" multiple PrCs to get all their best abilities). But since I just finished cobbling together Level 6 Relgar, who goes to extraordinary lengths getting the Geometer skills he needs, I'm not about to do any more historical revisionism.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 pm

willpell wrote:That thing about an extra point of skills would be awesome at first level, and if it extends to later levels, it could be utterly game-breaking (qualifying for all PrCs a level sooner than expected could make it very easy to build a character who "dips" multiple PrCs to get all their best abilities). But since I just finished cobbling together Level 6 Relgar, who goes to extraordinary lengths getting the Geometer skills he needs, I'm not about to do any more historical revisionism.
It doesn't extend to later levels. Only 1st-level.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote:That thing about an extra point of skills would be awesome at first level, and if it extends to later levels, it could be utterly game-breaking (qualifying for all PrCs a level sooner than expected could make it very easy to build a character who "dips" multiple PrCs to get all their best abilities). But since I just finished cobbling together Level 6 Relgar, who goes to extraordinary lengths getting the Geometer skills he needs, I'm not about to do any more historical revisionism.
It doesn't extend to later levels. Only 1st-level.
In that case it's definitely a complete and utter waste for any character who is built at higher levels. So, feat it is, just as I planned. I have yet to actually pick this feat, though, or his standard level 1 feat (originally it was Able Learner, but that's pointless for the Paragon version), or his 3rd-level feat (since he instead gained "Sunlight Eyes" at Paragon level 2, which was character level 4, because that's when he gained the 2nd-level spells which were prerequisite to the Reserve Feat). I'm open to suggestions as to what these three feats should be, since I haven't yet taken time to shop the comprehensive list of All Feats in 3E Ever.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:07 am

willpell wrote:So, feat it is, just as I planned. I have yet to actually pick this feat, though, or his standard level 1 feat (originally it was Able Learner, but that's pointless for the Paragon version), or his 3rd-level feat (since he instead gained "Sunlight Eyes" at Paragon level 2, which was character level 4, because that's when he gained the 2nd-level spells which were prerequisite to the Reserve Feat). I'm open to suggestions as to what these three feats should be, since I haven't yet taken time to shop the comprehensive list of All Feats in 3E Ever.
FYi, on your revised PC sheet, your 6th-level skills says '5th'.

and you'll want to take a look at the follow two files, if I haven't shared them with you already: New Feats for Kulan and Spells v.3.5 for Kulan, et al.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Knightfall wrote:and you'll want to take a look at the follow two files, if I haven't shared them with you already: New Feats for Kulan and Spells v.3.5 for Kulan, et al.
:shock: Did you get "Craft Virge" from my Whiteleaf setting?

EDIT - I will definitely take the Tactical Initiative feat (what with my having +5 for an INT mod), and maybe Suspicious Eye if I can't think of anything more fitting for the remaining two feat slots. I will respectfully decline to look at the Spells document, since I can't even keep on top of the number of spells in the Players' Handbook, and will never run out of new spells among published books (even excluding the ones that the Feats document lists as verboten...which happen to include most of my favorites, but c'est la vie...anyone else who expresses an interest in Incarnum, Legacy Weapons or the like, feel free to refer them to me, as Whiteleaf is built around such things).

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:07 am

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:and you'll want to take a look at the follow two files, if I haven't shared them with you already: New Feats for Kulan and Spells v.3.5 for Kulan, et al.
:shock: Did you get "Craft Virge" from my Whiteleaf setting?
Uhm, no, but I'm not sure how I discovered the word.
willpell wrote:EDIT - I will definitely take the Tactical Initiative feat (what with my having +5 for an INT mod), and maybe Suspicious Eye if I can't think of anything more fitting for the remaining two feat slots.
Glad to be of service. :D
willpell wrote:I will respectfully decline to look at the Spells document, since I can't even keep on top of the number of spells in the Players' Handbook, and will never run out of new spells among published books (even excluding the ones that the Feats document lists as verboten...which happen to include most of my favorites, but c'est la vie...anyone else who expresses an interest in Incarnum, Legacy Weapons or the like, feel free to refer them to me, as Whiteleaf is built around such things).
No worries. I included it since your PC is a wizard. Mainly I wanted to make sure you (and the others) had access to the feats document.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote: :shock: Did you get "Craft Virge" from my Whiteleaf setting?
Uhm, no, but I'm not sure how I discovered the word.
Fair enough; the word Virge exists, so it's not surprising that two different people coming up with tweaks on Craft Wand would both come up with it. Such accidental "plagiarism" happens all the time in the creative fields. My version is a bit different anyway; it gives the Virge only 8 charges, while yours have 15. (The fewer charges also means a cheaper creation, of course). And the feat is explicitly discouraged from player use in Whiteleaf; it's similar to the Magewright class in Eberron, being largely meant for NPCs.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:58 pm

willpell wrote:
Knightfall wrote:
willpell wrote: :shock: Did you get "Craft Virge" from my Whiteleaf setting?
Uhm, no, but I'm not sure how I discovered the word.
Fair enough; the word Virge exists, so it's not surprising that two different people coming up with tweaks on Craft Wand would both come up with it. Such accidental "plagiarism" happens all the time in the creative fields. My version is a bit different anyway; it gives the Virge only 8 charges, while yours have 15. (The fewer charges also means a cheaper creation, of course). And the feat is explicitly discouraged from player use in Whiteleaf; it's similar to the Magewright class in Eberron, being largely meant for NPCs.
Actually, I figured out where I came up with the idea: see here. Some of my other magic item design ideas are on that thread, but I never went through the process completely. The feats exist but I never got around to resetting the magic item details from the DMG.

EDIT: I just noted that the sections for Creating Canes and Creating Rolls (Rotuli) did get done.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Feats file and link updated.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
willpell
Black Dragon
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:36 pm

Knightfall wrote:see here.
Ah, looking at the timestamp there, it almost certainly predates my invention of the concept of Virges in Whiteleaf, so I guess I was the one who unknowingly "plagiarized" you. Great minds think alike, and all that.

User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:14 pm
Gender: male
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by MacConnell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:12 pm

I have the character at a playable level of development. I need to finish updating the record over on the En World site. LN Monk/Cleric 3/3, Taearen Elf. I am looking at Amaunater (I'm sure I misspelled that) as a deity. I have chosen Sun as one of my domains but I may not have source material for some of the others listed, like Balance.
Last edited by MacConnell on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.

User avatar
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan
Posts: 4517
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm
Gender: male
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by Knightfall » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:17 pm

MacConnell wrote:I have the character at a playable level of development. I need to finish updating the record over on the En World site. LN Monk/Cleric 3/3, Taearen Elf. I am looking at Amaunater (I'm sure I misspelled that) as a deity. I have chosen Sun as one of my domains but I may not have source material for some of the others listed, like Balance.
There is a file uploaded on the Kulan Community that details all the domains for Kulan, as well as a file for the homebrewed Kulan domain spells.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

User avatar
MacConnell
Orc
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:14 pm
Gender: male
Location: Boga City, The Untamed Wilds
Contact:

Re: Kulan PbP Campaign Guide: Western Kanpur|Bluffside

Post by MacConnell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Knightfall wrote:There is a file uploaded on the Kulan Community that details all the domains for Kulan, as well as a file for the homebrewed Kulan domain spells.
Okay, Thanks... While I am completely lost on that, how should I handle my starting equipment?
There are those who believe the lies they tell themselves. I am not one of those people.

Post Reply

Return to “World of Kulan”