Kulan World Journal

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Kulan World Journal

Post by Knightfall » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:28 am

The Spelljammer Fan Magazine thread I started was meant to spark interest in the idea of the Spelljammer community here (and, maybe, elsewhere) getting together to create a fan-based Spelljammer e-zine. Since I posited the idea, it was put to me that I should lead such an endeavor. After thinking about it, I quickly came to realize that while I would love to participate in a combined leadership group for such a magazine (and I still am), I'm not willing to be the project leader of such a magazine.

I just don't have that kind of passion for Spelljammer.

But what it did do for me was give me the idea of creating an e-zine for World of Kulan. Of all my RPG endeavors, Kulan is the one that I am truly passionate about. It is my flagship campaign setting for v.3.5, and I've already mapped out world in Campaign Cartographer. I already know I'd have more than enough material to create such a magazine, but since it is my own world, I'd have to accept 99% of the responsibility for putting out a free PDF e-zine detailing different parts of the world. It would hard for me to ask for help with such a creation since no one else has the same kind of investment in the world like I do. Maybe if I allow others to submit general articles unrelated to the world but with a strong emphasis on v.3.5. It's an idea, but it likely would be a long shot.

For now, it is just an idea. I'm in the middle of a night class that takes up some of my time, but I do have free time, which I've been using for Kulan. If I do decide to create the Kulan World Journal it will be inspired by all the things about D&D that I love including the bits & pieces from official and OGL settings that I've integrated into the world. I foresee articles detailing how I've integrated such published material into the world. (As part of this, I might ask some of my peers to provide reviews of their favorite D&D or OGL references that I've integrated into Kulan. Just an idea.)

I foresee regular columns dedicated to each of my continents (but not in every issue). I foresee an ongoing creature article that would take something I've already detailed in my Monster Compilations and expand them (similar to the DRAGON ecology articles). I foresee articles that go beyond Kulan to detail the other worlds of Kulanspace* or delve into my homebrewed planar cosmology. Articles detailing NPCs and other tidbits will likely happen as well, and NPCs I've already posted to my NPC Compendium will be the starting point for such articles, which would expand on the NPC's background, family, etc.

Personally, I think the sky's the limit, but I'm going to try to not get ahead of myself. I need to come up with a plan. Maybe I'll need a mission statement, or maybe I'll just go for it and see how long it will last. What I won't be doing is forcing myself to put out new issues on a regular basis. That would be too much pressure. Instead, I will create the Kulan World Journal primarily for myself. If others want to read it, I'll simply say thank you and ask them what they want to see in the future. And if my peers want to give advice (or more), I will gladly accept their input.

I want to make the world a living and breathing construct that all can enjoy. :D

* Of course, anything Spelljammer related that I create could end up in a SJ fan magazine too.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Kulan World Journal

Post by Big Mac » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:50 am

If only you didn't have the IP of other companies in your campaign setting, this could be the first step toward taking the World of Kulan commercial. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:09 am

Big Mac wrote:If only you didn't have the IP of other companies in your campaign setting, this could be the first step toward taking the World of Kulan commercial. :)
I've never been incline to take World of Kulan commercial. I'm just too connected to how it designed with the D&D and 3rd Party IP for me to strip all that away and rebuild it from scratch. And I would have to rebuild more than 50% of the world for it become commercially viable. The world would no longer be Kulan for me.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 am

Idea: The journal will include a travelogue of various parts of Kulan as penned by a rakasta trader named Johna. He origins began with The Companions of Harqual, but he eventually went his own way. It won't always be linear.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Take a look at what cliffrice created. :D :cool:

World of Kulan masthead/badge
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:28 am

Goals
• To improve my writing and publishing skills.
• To practice my cartography and game design skills.
• To detail key regions of the World of Kulan whether those regions are continents or island groups.
• To finally build Kulan's Underearth and Undersea.
• To write fiction set exclusively on Kulan or in the Mirrored Cosmology.
• To detail how I've integrated certain official D&D and OGL settings/locales into my world.
• To provide my peers with interesting gaming material that will inspire.
• To have some fun with this project.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:25 am

Article Ideas for 1st Issue
Nothing here is finalized.

Fallenlands, the
• The history and society of the jann of the Fallenlands.

Harqual
• A detailed look at the barbaric patriarch of the Pantheon of the North, Cronn.

Kanpur
• The city of Sharn and its influence on the western lands of Kanpur.

Janardûn
• An overview of the capital city of the Republic, Alarân.

Triadora
• Horn vs. Scale. A look at why the Horn Minotaurs and Xanth Lizardfolk hate each other.

Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:20 am

I really liked the Countdown to Eberron articles....perhaps a series like that focusing on Harqual (since it is the main campaign area) is something to consider.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:33 am

The Angelic Dragon wrote:I really liked the Countdown to Eberron articles....perhaps a series like that focusing on Harqual (since it is the main campaign area) is something to consider.
I didn't read those when Eberron first came out. I'll have to go back and take a look at them. Of course, I wouldn't want to follow an article style from DRAGON to closely. I want to create my own style. But I think i understand what you're suggesting.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Introduction

Post by Knightfall » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:45 am

Here is the introduction that will be in the first issue. The first issue will also have a separate editorial. Issues that follow (fingers crossed) will only have the editorial.

Introduction
World of Kulan has been a labor or love for me since the mid-90s. At that time, I began a new Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition campaign for my friends Dan, Dave, and Gerald. For this new series of adventures, I created a new hex map created in pencil and colored with crayons. The map covered a significant area, but it was only one part of the landmass that would eventually become the Lands of Harqual.

The campaign started with the published adventure entitled Rudwilla's Stew by Christopher Perkins from Dungeon Magazine #45. Many adventures later, which included a trip to the Isle of Dread and another continent, the campaign ended with an abbreviated attempt of Richard Baker's adventure Prism Keep from that same issue. Dungeon #45 remains one of my favorites to this day. The heroes of that campaign are now known as The Companions of Harqual. (It is a name I've given them and was never used during play.)

Kulan would not see play again until the 3rd Edition of Dungeons and Dragons was well into its run. The setting for the longest campaign I've run in the world also came from the pages of Dungeon Magazine. The heroes known as the Order of the Silver Hand would make their mark on The Shackled City, and Cauldron would leave a lasting mark on the Lands of Harqual. All of the SCAP adventures except the last one were played through on Harqual.

While I've also run two other play-by-post campaigns set on Kulan (one on the EN World forums and the other on the Old D&D Campaign Worlds forum named The Piazza), the world has been more for my own enjoyment. The maps for Kulan have morphed from pen and crayon hex maps to digital creations laid out in such programs as Campaign Cartographer by ProFantasy Software Ltd. and Hexographer by Inkwell Ideas. As well, I have detailed almost every aspect of the Lands of Harqual, although in many ways it is still bare bones.

Kulan has remained a D&D v.3.5 world even with the release of Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. The world is now heavily tied to several products released during the 3E era. I was (and still am) a big fan of the d20 System and Open Gaming License. No, Kulan is NOT and OGL creation. Instead, it is an homage to the D&D v.3.5 game system and the multitude of compatible products released through the d20 System and the OGL.

So, what does that mean for the Kulan World Journal? It means that it will be a magazine more for myself and my peers at The Piazza than anything else. I guess it could also be said to be a fan e-zine for D&D v.3.5, but I don't want to shoehorn it into any game system in case I decided at some point to run the world using D&D Next or some other system. (I will never run it using D&D 4E. Pathfinder? Unlikely. I would be more likely to run it using AD&D 2E or Troll Lord Games' Castles & Crusades.) However, from what I've seen of D&D Next, I'm more inclined to keep World of Kulan a homebrewed D&D v.3.5 campaign with strong d20 third-party influences.

Kulan World Journal (KWJ) will strive to remain as systemless as possible, but when statatics are provided, they will conform to D&D v.3.5. This project is more about practicing my writing and publishing skills than creating tons of new rules compatible with D&D v.3.5. The e-zine will be open to my peers from The Piazza to practice their own skills as well whether they be writers or artists. I've already brought on Angel R. Tarragon to write a Pathfinder-based column and other Piazza members (or any of my former players) may volunteer their services if they so choose. For such columns, volunteers aren't required to link their writings to the World of Kulan (but they can if they so choose).

Note: If I ask you if you'd like to contribute and you say 'no', I won't be offended. Kulan is my creation, after all, and it would be illogical for me to take offense that others don't have the same kind of passion for it.

Cheers!

Robert Blezard, February 2014
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Article Themes / Titles

Post by Knightfall » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:04 am

Some ideas for "catchy" titles for ongoing articles...

• Arcana :|
• Cityscape
• Divinities
• Endnote (last page)
• Iconic Heroes
• Johna's Travelogue
• Monstrous
• On Kulan (d20 system, OGL, and official D&D locales on the world)
• Plane Shift
• Racial Icons
• Rivalries (races, merchant companies, nations, etc)
• The Miscy
• Unseen Infinity (SJ)
• Vile Villainy
• Warmongers
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:11 am

Writing the outline for my Cronn article.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:33 pm

I had mentioned in my "NPC Compendium" thread that I wouldn't be putting the NPCs related to the Companions of Harqual into that thread but that they would go into separate thread. What I've decided instead is that those former PCs and related NPCs will be included in an series of articles I'm going to call Iconic Heroes. The characters from my Order of the Silver Hand campaign might also go that route, but I haven't decided yet. What I will do for Iconic Heroes is create Iconics for Kulan for each continent or region.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:46 pm

I figured out months ago that there is no way I can try to put together a PDF e-zine for Kulan all on my own. It's too daunting. However, since I want to create a blog for Kulan, I'm thinking that Kulan World Journal might be a good name for my Kulan blog, which will be a Wordpress blog since I've already created my Spelljammer Gone Wild wordpress blog (which I need to add to a bit :roll: ). Having a Kulan blog on Wordpress will force me to that site a lot more often.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Only a few days in and I've already added five posts and I'm going to add another one about The Fallenlands today.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:04 am

First major post intended for the original concept of an e-zine

http://kulanworldjournal.wordpress.com/ ... ds-part-1/
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:14 am

Part 2 of the Divinities article on Cronn: http://kulanworldjournal.wordpress.com/ ... ds-part-2/
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:36 am

Currently writing this for KWJ.

Racial Icons
The Jann of the Fallenlands

Part 1: History of the Jann of the Fallenlands
The Age of Fire: Believed to have lasted nearly 200 years.
Ages War started as a conflict versus invaders from Kanpur: efreet and nagpas vs. the invaders
Efreet made a dark compact with a demon lord (which one isn't known) – became known as the Baalsule.
The baalsule betrayed their allies and conquered Margoth-Nal.
Jann first appear on Margoth-Nal at this time.
They were soldiers in the armies of the rulers of the Elemental Planes. The rulers agreed to help the Sultan of the Efreet exact vengeance on the efreet who betrayed him.
Fought versus the baalsule.
The war ended with sundering and isolation of Margoth-Nal.
Nagpa retreat to the mountains

The Age of Isolation: Lasted over 1,000 years
The Fallenlands is magically isolated from the rest of the world: walls of magical storms.
It's not a perfect barrier but very dangerous.
Rise as a major power in the Fallenlands
Their great stone cities arise across the continent in the verdant lands along the shores
Guardians of the Fallenlands: watch over the other races and protect the magical treasures of the genies that were left behind after the Ages War.
They believe they must control the other races of the Fallenlands to protect the rest of the world from them.
While very powerful, they are not the masters of the Fallenlands.
The jann control very little beyond their stone cities.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:40 am

Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:34 pm

The Eastern Shores in 758 N.C.: https://kulanworldjournal.wordpress.com ... s-758-n-c/

EDIT: Damn! I messed up the scale. It should be 1 Hex = 5 Miles.

I've altered the scale of the world. I've decided that at this level, each hex will equal 8 miles instead of 5 miles. I've updated the map on the blog accordingly.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:48 am

With the updated size of the world, Kulan's circumference is now 36,244.67 miles. The world is now larger than Earth in comparison, but it isn't twice the size of our planet. Still, this will allow me to tweak the layout of the continents as I redesign the world in Hexographer.

The hex map I' previously created for the Bluffside region of Kanpur will also increase in size per hex. the scale on that hex map says 1 Hex = 30 Miles. With the size increase, I've calculated that it should probably increase to 48 miles per hex, but I don't know if I want Kanpur to grow so significantly. I'm more inclined to set that map to 40 miles per hex. Of course, I'm tempted to do with Kanpur what I've done with Harqual and design a full-sized overview map in Hexographer. It would b daunting, so i might just increase the hex size of the campaign map and then go from there.

This doesn't mean that there won't ever be any more CC2 maps for Kulan. I'm more likely to create smaller scale maps for the world or use the program mainly for city maps until I can afford to upgrade to CC3.

Note that the hex map I designed for the Thunder Rift* is now out of date. I will have to recreate it from scratch using my new Harqual overview map.

* Also on deviantART.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:09 pm

Two new hex maps posted on KWJ: The Horse Lands and The Center Lands.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Another new hex map up on KWJ. The Northwest region of Kanpur >> https://kulanworldjournal.wordpress.com ... northwest/
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”