World of Kulan Introductory Thread

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderators: Idabrius, Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

World of Kulan Introductory Thread

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi all,

I figured that since I'd decided to join this forum that I should create a thread for my primary homebrewed world here. I'm not sure how much will get posted here, but if EN World continues to be wonky and slow then I might just start reposting stuff here. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who don't hang out at EN World.

Anyway, I'll post some basic background for Kulan and a few links in a moment.

Cheers!

Robert Blezard
a.k.a. Knightfall
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:10 am, edited 7 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Knightfall's World of Kulan [on The Piazza]

Post by night_druid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Welcome aboard! :D
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Knightfall's World of Kulan [on The Piazza]

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Introduction
I have never reached this point ever in my years of gaming and had never had the ambition. But then I read The Wyrm’s Turn in DRAGON Magazine #244:
"Like most folks, I imagine many more campaigns than I’ll ever actually run - especially the latest version of my house campaign ...which is, of course, my ‘next’ favorite.

On that note, write me a short letter describing your own house campaign - whether you’ve actually run it or have just dreamed it so far. We’ll print the most interesting in D-mail, where everyone can see what you’ve imagined."

— Dave Gross
This made me think about one of my own campaigns, Kulan, and how far it has come. And yet I have never truly understood what drives me to keep it going. It doesn’t have much history or been played to every corner of the maps I’ve drawn and redrawn. I’ve only shared it with three people who aren’t the most avid gamers ever known (now more like eleven). In fact, it is not even my first campaign world. That distinction will always go to Malecade (Time of Ages).

It’s really a combination of many things.

1) Personal Fulfillment: Too leave a personal legacy, no matter how obscure it might be. Too leave something behind for others to enjoy. Even if it is only some distant relative sorting through old boxes after I’m gone.

2) My Pain: The fact is that the game has had more impact on my soul than anyone else could ever know. In the years of my youth it gave me a way to channel the painful emotions of adolescence and doubt. It strengthened me and gave me hope for the future.

3) My Imagination: Ever since I was little, my mind would wander to things out of place in our world. Studying pictures of the myths & legends of other times in history such as Stonehenge and ancient Aztec ruins, as if in a dream. Seeing them come to life in my mind and losing myself to the fantasy of whatever I’m looking at. I didn’t pay attention in school very much unless it was Social Studies.

It is a powerful gift to imagine something that is beyond reality such as magic and dragons. To feel the wings beating in my mind carrying me higher than one should dare to go. I have always wanted to fly!

4) My Heart: This is hard to put into words but all my campaigns have been a expression of my deepest love for family, friends, and other more passionate hopes & dreams. I guess you could call me the doomed romantic. I can never feel something halfway...it’s all or nothing. And usually, that is what brings about my downfall in the end. I have cared very deeply about many wonderful women in this world; most never knew. All because I could never find the courage to express it verbally. Shauna, Carla, Jennifer, Susan, Stacey, and Samantha.

Samantha, now there’s a tale...

But I think I’ll make you wait for that one. All these women have truly inspired my soul at one point or another. And I thank them all.

Robert Blezard

The World
The World of Kulan is the merging of many different ideas and flashes of insight. The original continent I designed for World of Kulan was only an old coastline drawn in pencil on several pages of scrap paper that was meant for my Sons of Asgard campaign setting. This coastline became what is now the Lands of Harqual and would be only vaguely similar to the original coastline if compared today (not that I have the original sketch anymore).

Important Facts
● The Balance is key on World of Kulan. Dragons are aligned to the Balance and have different alignments (at least partially neutral). The World Goddess, Mirella, holds sway over the Balance.

● No native Drow! The drow never developed on World of Kulan and, thus, the elven subrace is almost unheard of in the world and throughout Kulanspace. (Morlocks are to World of Kulan what drow are to other worlds.)

● Gnomes are rare across the World of Kulan. Humans are native to every continent/region except Triadora. Elves and the Rakasta are native to every continent/region except the Fallenlands and Triadora. Dwarves are native to every continent/region except the Fallenlands, Merria, and Triadora. Halflings are native to every continent/region except Janardûn and Triadora.

● World of Kulan uses a unique cosmology known as the Mirrored Cosmology. Said cosmology is heavily influenced by Planescape and Spelljammer. There isn't an Astral Plane, a Plane of Shadows, a Positive Energy Plane, or a Negative Energy Plane, but there is a unique plane known as the Plane of Twilight. Other new planes include the Plane of Serenity and the Spirelands.

● The old 2e Paraelemental Planes (Ice, Magma, Ooze, and Smoke) exist in the Mirrored Cosmology. Other planes in the cosmology include the Elemental Planes, Ethereal Plane, Far Realm, Plane of Faerie, Plane of Mirrors, Spirit World, and Temporal Energy Plane.

● The Outlands are split into an Upper Outlands and a Lower Outlands, separated by the Spirelands and Sigil, The City of Doors. My Sigil has a Master of Agony instead of a Lady of Pain, and the Faction War never happened. (The epic City of Union does exist in my cosmology, but it isn't as powerful.)

● The Upper Planes and the Lower Planes are similar to the Great Wheel Cosmlogy; although, there are some major differences (I've added some new planes). The Upper Planes can only be reached through the Upper Outlands, while the Lower Planes can only be reached through the Lower Outlands, or through permanent magical portals in planar and/or material plane cities/towns. Such portals are very rare on Kulan, while they are common in Sigil and other planar cities and gate towns.

● The world, as a whole, has been influenced by Al-Qadim, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Kara-Tur, and Mystara.

● Several D&D Modules have also inflenced World of Kulan: B4 Lost City, EX1 Dungeonland, EX2 Land Beyond the Magic Mirror, X1 Isle of Dread, X2 Castle Amber, and The Silver Key (2e), as well as several DUNGEON Magazine modules (including the Shackled City Adventure Path).

● Several D20 System/OGL campaign settings, sourcebooks, and adventures have also influenced (or been incorperated into) World of Kulan. This includes (but isn't limited to) A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, Beyond Countless Doorways, Bluffside: City on the Edge, City State of the Invincible Overlord, Dave Arneson's Blackmoor, Dry Land: Empires of the Dragon Sands, Freeport: The City of Adventure, Frost & Fur, Gary Gygax's Necropolis, Redhurst: Academy of Magic, Streets of Silver, Tsar Rising, Valus, and White Robes, Black Hearts: Enigma of the Arcanexus.

● Another huge influence has been the input and questions asked about World of Kulan on EN World's messageboards, which is a great place for D&D and D20 System gamers. Here's the link. Noteable EN Worlders that have influenced World of Kulan include (but are not limited to) BOZ, Conaill, Destan, Kip the Bold, Lalato, Malessa, PirateCat, Sepulchrave II, and the Jester.

Mor's End, The EN World City Project, exists just south of the City of Cauldron (the Shackled City Adventure Path) on the continent of Harqual.
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Knightfall's World of Kulan Thread [on The Piazza]

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:40 pm

The Basics
World of Kulan is, well, unique in many ways. It is the one great accomplishment of my life as a world builder. It lives through the characters my friends and I have created. Yet, it is still in its infancy, as a campaign, and if you asked me to describe the world in 100 words or less, I couldn't do it. I'm not even sure that would want to even try. Such limitations never serve the expansion of imagination as they bind a stereotypical mindset to a campaign that is hard to let go of once in place.

Kulan is traditional Dungeons and Dragons, yet never conforms to one type of tradition. It can be exotic, if one knows where to tread. It can be ancient or decadent depending on where one searches for the past. It can be lost, in a sea of uncharted islands, or frozen, in northern barbarian lands. It can be powerful psionic knights of the republic or it can be the wild, yet proud, humanoids of the humid savannas. It can be scorched deserts, lost to rest of the world for ages, or exotic lands ruled by khans, caliphs, or tsars. Anything is possible, yet nothing is written in stone.

DM's Note: Below are several short descriptions of each major campaign region. This includes all of the world's continents, as well as one set of islands. However, the world has grown since I wrote the following and it is subjest to change. (And it already has.) New regions will appear in the list as I find the time to add them.

Fallenlands, the
The Fallenlands came about as result of needing an exotic locale for my players to explore for an ancient artifact. I didn’t want them to simply traverse Harqual, find the artifact, and bring it back. I wanted it to be a quest and a half. The end result was an adventure I entitled “Journey to the Fallenlands”...

Frozen North, the
Still to be written.

Gwyrdhyn
I'm a big fan of Celtic Mythology. I have been ever since I first got my hands on the AD&D 2nd Edition Legends & Lore book. Harqual didn't turn out strongly Celtic, thus, I have been looking to add a region influence by Celtic mythology, as well as Arthurian Legend...

Harqual, Lands of
Harqual is a land full of conflict. For generations, the diverse races of the continent have been either fighting amongst themselves or battling the constant threat of humanoid invasion. Ogres, Orcs, Gnolls, and other evil humanoids roam the wild tracts of land between dozens of countries and city-states of the Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes, and Rakasta. Twice have the ogres led the humanoid invasions, which became known as the Ogre Wars...

Janardûn: The Psionic Lands
Janardûn is a mystery to me. I had yet to create anything ’canon’ regarding the smallest continent-like landmass on Kulan (before this except from my website). Dominated by rolling plains & forests and low mountain ranges, Janardûn is best described by two words, psionic knights. These are plate mail wearing psychic warriors (as per the class in the D&D Expanded Psionics Handbook), whom are part of a knightly order called the Insightful Order of the Republic. These Knights of the Mind, as they are sometimes called by the people, are the exception not the rule on Janardûn. They tend towards neutrality and law in their outlook on life...

Kanpur: The Ancient Lands
The continent of Kanpur is really two major landmasses, so close together they could be one. And in ancient times, they were. Kanpur is the cradle of ancient civilizations, a complete contrast to Harqual. Where that continent is in its infancy of true civilization, Kanpur is the old hat of civilization. Yes, it still has its trackless wastes, desolate plains, and deep foreboding forests and jungles. But these lands have seen civilizations rise and fall for as long as humanoids have walked upright...

Merria
Merria is one of the newest regions I have added to World of Kulan. Thus, I have very little detail fleshed out. The simplest explanation is that Merria is Pirates of Dark Water on my world. No, I’m not kidding...

Ryaith
Ryaith is still an enigma to me. These islands came about while I was redrawing Janardûn in Campaign Cartographer 2 Pro. Basically, I went a little crazy and just couldn't stop myself from adding more and more islands. As a result, Ryaith came into being. It will likely be a land that is much older than Janardûn but closely tied to it. Therefore, Ryaith will be strongly psionic but it will also be highly magic. Perhaps Ryaith will be the original homeland of the shoyir elves of Janardûn.

I'm also looking for a place to put some of the new races from the "Races of" series of books. I just bought Races of Eberron plus I also have Races of Stone and Races of the Dragon. Perhaps Ryaith could be the homeland of the Kalashtar on Kulan. I also could throw in the Dream Dwarves. Hmm, the possibilities...

Triadora: Land of Empires
While the Fallenlands might be somewhat like Dark Sun and Al-Qadim in style, Triadora, the second largest continent on Kulan, is somewhat like Dragonlance. More specifically, like the region of Taladas ruled by a race of minotaurs but with a lot of different twists thrown in. Triadora is another of Kulan’s continents, which is dominated by barren terrain—deserts, harsh plains, desolate mountains, and very little water...

Valossa, Isles of
This regions is inspired by two different D20 campaign settings. The most obvious campaign is Freeport: The City of Adventure from Green Ronin. The less obvious campaign is from a now defunct D20 publisher known as Dark Portal Games. The campaign is called Arekoz and the main book is the adventure White Robes, Black Hearts: Enigma of the Arcanexus...

Valus, Isles of
This group of islands is based on Valus: A Fantasy Role-Playing World Sourcebook by Ryan Smalley (a.k.a. Destan), who is a regular at the EN World forums. His story hour is one of the more popular ones on that site. Information on Destan's Valus can be found at the Different World Publications website. Here's the link. The Isles of Valus have been officially added to the main World of Kulan overview map (see top of page). The islands are located in the region of the North Sea, between Harqual and Kanpur, north of the Fallenlands...

Vol Isles
Still to be written.

Wakuna Islands
Still to be written.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:43 pm

The old world map in CC2...

Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Old Overview Map

Lands of Harqual
Introduction
The Lands of Harqual are full of conflict. For generations, the diverse races of the continent have been either fighting amongst themselves or battling the constant threat of humanoid invasion. Ogres, orcs, gnolls, and other evil humanoids roam the wild tracts of land between dozens of countries and city-states of the humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and the rakasta. Twice have the ogres led the humanoid invasions, which became known as the Ogre Wars.

Before that were even darker times. Most of its history, either lost to the ravages of time or in the ancient ziggurats of the Old Sword Imperium, has remained hidden. What the people do remember are what is collectively known as the Black Wars. This dark time saw the rise and fall of petty warlords and kings; brought about by the Divinity War between the North Gods and the Sword Gods.

The North Gods were born of the Lord of the North, Cronn, a pantheon of barbarian gods who, for a time, lived amongst their people. The Sword Gods were born of Hiisi, The Lord of Darkness, a vile and twisted Finnish deity who came to Harqual to take the Essence of Cronn and corrupt the people of the land. The war raged across Harqual, god vs. god and mortal vs. mortal.

Eventually the war spilled over into Outer Planes. Many gods died on each side of the conflict and when the final battle came, the two pantheons clashed on the shores of Lunia while the rest of the Multiverse watched. Hiisi launched a full assault forcing demons and dark followers to throw themselves against the petitioners and angels loyal to the North Gods.

In the end, the North Gods won and the fiends retreated. Cronn’s noble godson, Jaeger, God of Honor, trapped Hiisi in a dueling circle surrounded by the Finnish Gods, in Ympyrä Ristiriita, or The Challenge. Unable to defeat the powerful greater god, Jaeger sacrificed his Essence to the Outer Planes so that Hiisi would remain banished in Carceri, “for as long as my Great Father watches over the lands and people of Harqual”.

The fall of the Sword Gods left the Old Sword Imperium in chaos, which led to the time of the Black Wars.

Now, in current times, the past threatens to tear apart the present. New kingdoms and city-states fight to protect their lands from the dark followers of the remaining Sword Gods, as well as the machinations of the evil humanoids. A third ogre war seems inevitable. Worse still the continent suffers under an ancient & forgotten threat.

As Jaeger banished Hiisi, Cronn beseeched the World Goddess, Mirella, to banish another enemy from Harqual. This other god, Tu, Lord of the Tabaxi, tried to conquer Harqual as the last battle was being fought on Lunia. The World Goddess banished Tu and his people for a 1,001 years. Time passed the people of Harqual forgot about the tabaxi, even the longest-lived of the elves. They passed into legend and myth as the races of Harqual fought each other and the humanoids threatening them all.

The 1,001 years are over. The tabaxi have returned and they bring the vengeance of Tu with them. War breaks out in the southern lands. Then, as if Fate was against Harqual, came The Transformation. A cataclysmic event, which causes strange magical fog to roll across the continent, warping land, creatures, and even individuals. Strange new lands, filled with new people and/or entire races, replace tracts of virgin wilderness or the fog warps the current land into new shapes and forms. Nothing is spared.

Chaos ensues. Alliances are broken, old feuds are renewed. No one is safe. Will the ogres come again? Will they align with the tabaxi and conquer all of Harqual?

Not even the gods know.

:arrow: Lands of Harqual [Maps and More]

Lands of Harqual thread on EN World
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:54 pm

This small island-continent is Harqual's closest neighbor. It is directly west of Harqual. Many scholars believe the two continents were once connected.

Janardûn: The Psionic Lands [Overview Map| Hex Map Version]
Introduction
Dominated by rolling plains and forests and low mountain ranges, Janardûn is best described by two words, psionic knights. These are platemail wearing psychic warriors (as per the class in the D&D Expanded Psionics Handbook), whom are part of a knightly order called the Insightful Order of the Republic. These Knights of the Mind, as they are sometimes called by the people, are the exception not the rule on Janardûn. They tend towards neutrality and law in their outlook on life.

And while the Insightful Order is important to the Republic's survival—it doesn't rule it. The Council of the House rules the continent, one councilperson from each city, with one member elected as chancellor for one five year term (and only one). The Council is appointed by the will of the knights, not by nobles or the people. Why this done is simple—tradition dictates it such and it has worked well for 3,000 years (why mess with a good thing). The knights can dissolve the Council at any time if they believe corruption has taken root. This is both a benefit and a bane to the Council's effectiveness. If the people wish something that the Council approves of but the knights do not (upsetting the Balance), then the knights will dismiss the Council.

However, this dissolving of the Council almost never happens. The people like the fact that the nobility has a lot less power and those nobles that join the knights give up all family ties and privileges. A member joins a branch of the knights that will now be his new family. In this structure, age and knowledge take precedence over strength and battle skill (although those are important if you don't want to get killed). Marriage is allowed within ones branch as long as the two members are not already related. However, marriage outside of the Insightful Order is frowned upon (the outsider would have to pledge to become a knight or the member would have to leave the Order).

As to what the knights fight against to protect the masses that, also, is describable in two words, Ogre Mages. This is the simple explanation, the long explanation is a lot more convoluted. Yes, ogre mages are violent, magic welding humanoids but a knight hardly ever battles one in direct combat. And those who did either died trying or were never the same afterwards. No, the true menaces of daily life are the Athachs, Ettins, Wild Dwarves, Darkwings, and Quicklings that call the Ogre Mages, masters.

The Ogre Mages send their minions out of the mountains, dark forests and swamps to cause as much mischief and mayhem as possible. Whether it's darkwings and quicklings terrorizing farms and rural communities or athachs and ettins laying siege to castles and cities, no one is safe. Only the Aaleear, Shoyir Elves, Rakasta, and Cyclops stand with the knights against the evil giants and their minions.

What the Dark Ones hope to gain by this continuous onslaught or what their ultimate goals are still remain a mystery.

Note: Of the races listed above, the following ones are naturally psionic: Aaleear, cyclops, ogre mages, Shoyir elves, and wild dwarves. Also the following races from the D&D Expanded Psionics Handbook and D&D Complete Psionic are found in Janardûn: Duergar, elan, githzerai, synad, and xeph. The githzerai of Janardûn are native to the Material Plane, not Limbo. Elan and xeph are not normally found anywhere else on the World of Kulan. Synads are never found anywhere else on the World of Kulan.

Janardûn thread on EN World
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:23 pm

Welcome to The Piazza, Knightfall! And thanks for sharing your homebrew world with us!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Another welcome Knightfall! I've just had a chance to glimpse your maps at this point, but I have to say what I see so far is spectacular! I'll be spending a little time over the next few days reading through your posts. I'm assuming that the maps were done with CC. Were there any special tricks that you used to create them (ie did you use Fractal Mapper to generate the coastlines?), or did you draw it all by hand?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Hugin wrote:Welcome to The Piazza, Knightfall! And thanks for sharing your homebrew world with us!
Thanks! I'm always interested in finding out what people think of my homebrewed stuff. Kulan is my primary world but I've created several. I have a world I call Time of Ages, which can be best described as Steampunk Spelljamer; however, that would be for another thread. :D

Here's another one of my continents for Kulan. Interestingly enough, this continent was once part of the world that became Time of Ages.

Triadora: Land of Empires
Introduction
While the Fallenlands might be somewhat like Dark Sun and Al-Qadim in style, Triadora, the second largest continent on Kulan, is somewhat like Dragonlance. More specifically, like the region of Taladas ruled by a race of minotaurs but with a lot of different twists thrown in. Triadora is another of Kulan’s continents, which is dominated by barren terrain—deserts, harsh plains, desolate mountains, and very little water.

The minotaurs, who call themselves the Sons of the Horn (or horn minotaurs), rule about half of the continent. An unique race of reptilian humanoids, known as the Xanth, rule roughly another third of the continent. While the two races are always in conflict, neither race is stereotypically evil (although the Xanth are more ruthless) and both have developed a high culture based on trade. (Most believe that is why they don’t like each other.)

There are limited trading partners on Triadora and the two races never trust anyone who trades with the other. Thus, over the years they have fought dozens of trade wars both financially and physically. An uneasy peace exists at the moment but it's becoming like a lit powder keg and will soon explode into full-scale war once again.

The remainder of the continent is dominated by the Klorthak, a race of monstrous humanoids originally from another, unknown Material Plane. They live in walled, fortresslike cities and have a ferocious warrior ethic.

The other races of Triadora try to survive in between the three powerhouses and try to reap the benefits without getting killed in the process. These races—wemics, loxos, lupins, pickers, the urik-aa, valcos, and zebranaurs—tend to be nomadic.

The Wemics and Zebranaurs are tribal and tend to not get along (it’s a predator vs. prey sort of thing). Of all the races of Triadora, the Lupin are the most even tempered and are usually loners by nature. Pickers and Valcos, while not truly tribal, wander from place to place in small bands and family groups. They aren't always welcome in the cities of the three main races.

Like the other nomadic races, the Urik-aa (a race of high orcs), compete for the limited space that the desert provides. However, unlike most of the other races on Triadora the urik-aa respect the fact that the continent was originally home to only the Horn Minotaurs. Only wemics show more respect to the Horn Minotaurs than the urik-aa do.

Loxos, or Triadoran titanites, as they are sometimes called are a mysterious race that tends to keep to themselves. They do not worship the gods of Traidora. Instead, they worship the elements. Most of their shamans are elementalists. Loxos are the least nomadic of the other races as they prefer to settle down by middle age.

Triadora thread on EN World
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:16 pm

Chimpman wrote:Another welcome Knightfall! I've just had a chance to glimpse your maps at this point, but I have to say what I see so far is spectacular! I'll be spending a little time over the next few days reading through your posts. I'm assuming that the maps were done with CC. Were there any special tricks that you used to create them (ie did you use Fractal Mapper to generate the coastlines?), or did you draw it all by hand?
Thanks for welcome,

You are correct, all my maps are done in CC2 Pro. And, no, I didn't use Fractal Mapper to generate the coastlines. I did it all by hand and use the fractal tool in CC2 Pro to make the coastlines look more real.

Here is another "region" of Kulan. This group of islands is located south of Janardûn and north of Triadora. Enjoy! :D

The Isles of Valossa
Introduction
This regions is inspired by two different D20 campaign settings. The most obvious campaign is Freeport from Green Ronin Publishing. The less obvious campaign is from a now defunct D20 publisher known as Dark Portal Games. The campaign is called Arekoz and the main book is the adventure White Robes, Black Hearts: Enigma of the Arcanexus.

I helped write the book and did some of the cartography. It's too bad the company has disappeared, as most of those who have read it, seemed to like it. I've decided that I don't feel right letting my work simply disappear into the breeze so I've created the Isles of Valossa to take advanatage of Enigma of the Arcanexus, in conjunction with the Freeport sourcebooks and my own imagination.

See the Island Realms thread for more on the Isles of Valossa.

The Lands of Arekoz
Last edited by Knightfall on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Merria
Introduction
Merria is one of the newest regions I have added to World of Kulan. Thus, I have very little detail fleshed out. The simplest explanation is that Merria is Pirates of Dark Water on my world. No, I’m not kidding...
Last edited by Knightfall on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:27 pm

The Fallenlands
Introduction
The Fallenlands came about as result of needing an exotic locale for my players to explore for an ancient artifact. I didn’t want them to simply traverse Harqual, find the artifact, and bring it back. I wanted it to be a quest and a half. The end result was an adventure I entitled “Journey to the Fallenlands”.

Little did I know at the time, how much the Fallenlands would be like two of my favorite D&D campaign settings rolled into one, slightly altered, concept. You see, for the most part, the Fallenlands is a desert continent. From the Mountains of NarsKasis to the edge of the Ong Jungle, it is basically a huge homage to Dark Sun and Al-Qadim.

The Fallenlands is a hot, humid land where the genies known as the Jann rule huge, impenetrable, stone cities. It is a land where tribes of Kenku, Throkr, and other strange humanoids, such as the Sahne, vie for dominance of the desert wastes. It is home to the City of Cyrad, where isolated, pale-skinned humans struggle to survive against the environment and each other. It is the homeland of a race of noble, vulture-headed humanoids, called the Nagpa, older than any race on Kulan with life spans that even outstretch the Shoyir Elves of Janardûn.

This is the Fallenlands!

DM's Note: Now, some of you that have played Mystara probably perked an eyebrow up when you read "race of noble, vulture-headed humanoids, called the Nagpa" above. The reason for this is that the Nagpas of Kulan are not the cursed humans of Mystara. They are an race that evolved independently on Kulan for thousands of years and once ruled all of the Fallenlands. They would still be its rulers if one of their leaders, in ages past, hadn't struck a deal with the devil so to speak.

:arrow: The Fallenlands

Fallenlands thread on EN World
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Nice maps Robert!

And did I read that Blackmoor was among your sources of inspiration? 8-)

Oh, and if I havent said so before; welcome to the Piazza! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 am

Havard wrote:Nice maps Robert!

Oh, and if I havent said so before; welcome to the Piazza! :)
Thanks. I'm very obsessed with CC2 Pro. I wish my computer was better so I could upgraded to CC3. :|
Havard wrote:And did I read that Blackmoor was among your sources of inspiration? 8-)
Yes, I've used the 3.5 version of Blackmoor as inspiration as well as Mystara, Planescape, Spelljammer, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and Dark Sun.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 am

I just created this one...

The Wakuna Islands are a small group of islands that sit between the Lands of Harqual and The Fallenlands.

Wakuna Islands
Introduction
Work in Progress.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:13 am

Isles of Valus
Introduction
This group of islands is based on Valus: A Fantasy Role-Playing World Sourcebook by Ryan Smalley (a.k.a. Destan), who is a regular at the EN World forums. His story hour is one of the more popular ones on that site. Information on Destan's Valus can be found at the Different World Publications website. Here's the link. The Isles of Valus have been officially added to the main World of Kulan overview map. The islands are located in the region of the North Sea, between Harqual and Kanpur, north of the Fallenlands.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:54 am

Wow, I have a lot of reading to do.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:12 am

Another warm welcome to The Piazza Knightfall! You mentioned Spelljammer as inspiration, have you by chance built your campaign setting into a sphere?
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:48 am

dfryer36 wrote:Wow, I have a lot of reading to do.
Here's some more...

This island is considered to be part of the Kanpur continent the way the British Isles is considered to be part of Europe. I have a copy of Relics & Rituals: Excalibur, which will be a huge influence for the islands setting.

Gwyrdhyn
Introduction
I'm a big fan of Celtic Mythology. I have been ever since I first got my hands on the AD&D 2nd Edition Legends & Lore book. Harqual didn't turn out strongly Celtic, thus, I have been looking to add a region influence by Celtic mythology, as well as Arthurian Legend. I originally thought I was going to make Janardun, a small continent west of Harqual, my Celtic campaign, but that continent became something completely different. Now that I'm fleshing out Kanpur, a region based on the Celtic way of life was a natural fit.

Gwyrdhyn is the result. Also known as the Green Isle, this land will have strong tied to fey creatures and the Plane of Faerie, as per the alternate plane described in the D&D 3E Manual of the Planes. Brownies, pixies, nymphs, sprites, and some of the more darker fey, as well, live throughout the lands of Gwyrdhyn, making the lives of its people either better or worse, each day, based on a particular fey creature’s mood when met.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:08 am

Azaghal wrote:Another warm welcome to The Piazza Knightfall! You mentioned Spelljammer as inspiration, have you by chance built your campaign setting into a sphere?
Okay, the answer to that question is a little complicated. While Spelljammer is a inspiration, Kulan doesn't exist in the traditional Spelljammer universe.

I think the easiest way for you to get the gist of what I mean is for you to take a look at this link...

Knightfall's Spelljammer Cosmonomicon

The "Core Cosmology" is my interpretation of the traditional Spelljammer universe. The "Plane of the Unseen Infinity" is the "reality" that Kulan exists in. I have begun the process of detailing Kulan's star system (called Kulanspace), but I haven't gotten real deep into it.

Cheers!

KF
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Kanpur: The Ancient Lands
Introduction
The continent of Kanpur is really two major landmasses, so close together they could be one. And in ancient times, they were. Kanpur is the cradle of ancient civilizations, a complete contrast to Harqual. Where that continent is in its infancy of true civilization, Kanpur is the old hat of civilization. Yes, it still has its trackless wastes, desolate plains, and deep foreboding forests and jungles. But these lands have seen civilizations rise and fall for as long as humanoids have walked upright.

Kanpur is a mixed pot of cultures and races that have bled over into each other in many regions. Only a few regions can claim any sort of isolated history or development. Kanpur is many campaigns.

Overview Map

:arrow: Kanpur: The Ancient Lands

Kanpur thread on EN World
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Ryaith
Introduction
Ryaith is still an enigma to me. These islands came about while I was redrawing Janardûn in Campaign Cartographer 2 Pro. Basically, I went a little crazy and just couldn't stop myself from adding more and more islands. As a result, Ryaith came into being. It will likely be a land that is much older than Janardûn but closely tied to it. Therefore, Ryaith will be strongly psionic but it will also be highly magic. Perhaps Ryaith will be the original homeland of the shoyir elves of Janardûn.

I'm also looking for a place to put some of the new races from the "Races of" series of books. I've bought Races of Eberron plus I also have Races of Stone and Races of the Dragon. Perhaps Ryaith could be the homeland of the Kalashtar on Kulan. I also could throw in the Dream Dwarves. Hmm, the possibilities...
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:56 am

This region is directly north of the Lands of Harqual. I will be tied to Harqual somewhat, but the region will have its own history and people. The Frozen North will be strongly influenced by the d20 system sourcebook, Frost & Fur.

The Frozen North
Introduction
Work in Progress
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:08 am

While I have one more regional world map to create, it's not that vital. Therefore, I'll be posting the regional maps of Harqual that I've already done. I'll be starting with the north and slowly heading south.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”