World of Kulan Introductory Thread

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Re: Knightfall's World of Kulan Thread [on The Piazza]

Post by Azaghal » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:14 pm

This is all just awesome stuff!!! Thanks for sharing!
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:56 pm

This is very impressive! Please, continue to post stuff here for us to peruse!

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:57 pm

Idabrius wrote:This is very impressive! Please, continue to post stuff here for us to peruse!
What he said! ;) :D

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:47 am

Azaghal wrote:This is all just awesome stuff!!! Thanks for sharing!
Hugin wrote:
Idabrius wrote:This is very impressive! Please, continue to post stuff here for us to peruse!
What he said! ;) :D
Thanks! I'm working out the descriptions for the two maps above. I just finished the description for the Shantil Peninsula Region and want to write the one for the Nashee Peninsula Region before I post any more maps.

I want to use this thread to "FORCE" myself to finish many of the descriptions I have yet to write for the various maps I've done. I have a map thread on EN World for those that can't wait for more. However, the thread on that forum has become very disjointed over the years. Plus, a lot of it needs to be updated.

Cheers!

KF
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:28 am

Knightfall wrote:

Lands of Harqual

Introduction
The Lands of Harqual are full of conflict. For generations, the diverse races of the continent have been either fighting amongst themselves or battling the constant threat of humanoid invasion. Ogres, orcs, gnolls, and other evil humanoids roam the wild tracts of land between dozens of countries and city-states of the humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and the rakasta. Twice have the ogres led the humanoid invasions, which became known as the Ogre Wars.
I just realized this world has Rakasta. It doesnt get much better than that! :)

Am I right in thinking that Harqual is the suggested starting point for most campaigns?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Havard wrote:
Knightfall wrote:

Lands of Harqual

Introduction
The Lands of Harqual are full of conflict. For generations, the diverse races of the continent have been either fighting amongst themselves or battling the constant threat of humanoid invasion. Ogres, orcs, gnolls, and other evil humanoids roam the wild tracts of land between dozens of countries and city-states of the humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and the rakasta. Twice have the ogres led the humanoid invasions, which became known as the Ogre Wars.
I just realized this world has Rakasta. It doesnt get much better than that! :)

Am I right in thinking that Harqual is the suggested starting point for most campaigns?

Havard
I've incorporated many of the Mystaran races/creatures into Kulan. (The rakasta, lupins, tortles, nagpas, koprus, phanatons, the aranea, hutaakans, knas, the actaeon, etc.) In truth, almost any of the creatures found in the 2nd Edition Mystara Monstrous Compendium are appropriate for the World of Kulan. However, each continent has a smattering of those creatures, not all of them. For example, the rakasta can be found almost anywhere, but nagpas are unique to The Fallenlands.

And you're right, Harqual is the logical starting point for a Kulan campaign. I've never started a campaign anywhere else on the world. However, the western regions on the continent of Kanpur would be a good second choice if you want a campaign set in a more urban-dominated environment. Kanpur has been the heart of several ancient civilizations. The western regions is a melding of various d20 system sourcebooks including Streets of Silver, GG's Necropolis, Rituals & Relics: Excalibur, Rituals & Relics: Olympus as well as an old DRAGON Magazine article that details The Dark Continent.

The eastern lands of the continent are influenced by Kara-Tar, The Horde, Al-Qadim, and anything else I've been able to find about asian, persian, and east indian cultures.

Note: I've added three important Kulan links to my first post.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:06 pm

I think I'm all caught up - finally, and just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this setting you have created Knightfall. Out of curiosity (and as a way of understanding your creative process) did you come up with the map first, and then find ways of populating it, or did you have an idea for the setting and draw the map to fit that? Or is it a bit of both?

I find when I'm doing my own development that I'll flip back and forth. I usually start with an idea, create the map, and then go back and refine the idea. I've found that a map is one of those things that can really spur on the imagination.

EDIT: Also, what is the Transformation that you keep mentioning? Did you describe this earlier and I just missed it (sorry if that is the case)?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Chimpman wrote:I think I'm all caught up - finally, and just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this setting you have created Knightfall. Out of curiosity (and as a way of understanding your creative process) did you come up with the map first, and then find ways of populating it, or did you have an idea for the setting and draw the map to fit that? Or is it a bit of both?

I find when I'm doing my own development that I'll flip back and forth. I usually start with an idea, create the map, and then go back and refine the idea. I've found that a map is one of those things that can really spur on the imagination.
Thanks for the encouragement.

I created the original hand-drawn maps back in the mid-90s. (Since then, I've recreated the world in CC2 Pro. I changed a lot in the process.) The Lands of Harqual was the background for a short-lived 2e campaign. Back then the continent wasn't very well defined. However, at a certain point, I began the process of writing a document that details the mythology and history of Harqual. I've posted it online at EN World, if you want to read it...

The Mythology & History of Harqual
http://www.enworld.org/forum/world-kula ... story.html

It was this creation that truly defined how the continent would develop. The thread is part background material, part fiction.
Chimpman wrote:EDIT: Also, what is the Transformation that you keep mentioning? Did you describe this earlier and I just missed it (sorry if that is the case)?
The Transformation was a magical event that occurred in The Year of the Return (749 N.C.).

"From the 4th to the 9th of Thorn, a strange magical fog engulfs Harqual from the Isles of Ice beyond the frozen lands of the Northlands all the way to the Isle of Ghosts beyond the Far South. It is a time of fear and strange occurrences, which alters Harqual in unbelievable ways. Entire tracks of land either disappear into the sea or are transformed. In the region south of the Sword Imperium a new range of mountains appear out of the fog. In other places, new city-states and ruins appear across the land, some benign some not. The event becomes known as The Transformation."

There is more detail about this magical event in the EN World thread.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:34 pm

On a side note (sorry for the slight thread jack) what has your experience been with CC? It's one of those things that I've considered buying on and off for the past several years. What components do you have?

Right now I'm doing all of my map development using Photoshop Elements (a free version I got with my drawing pad years ago). It works pretty well, but it doesn't support vector graphics which can be a bit of a pain when trying to create pdf files (that should scale indefinitely).

If I did decide to pick up CC, it would probably be the World Builder package.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:13 am

Chimpman wrote:On a side note (sorry for the slight thread jack) what has your experience been with CC? It's one of those things that I've considered buying on and off for the past several years. What components do you have?

Right now I'm doing all of my map development using Photoshop Elements (a free version I got with my drawing pad years ago). It works pretty well, but it doesn't support vector graphics which can be a bit of a pain when trying to create pdf files (that should scale indefinitely).

If I did decide to pick up CC, it would probably be the World Builder package.
My experience with CC2 Pro has been great. I don't have CC3 yet, and I won't likely be able to convert to it anytime soon. The program does have a high learning curve, but since you understand vector graphic, I'll assume you could handle it.

I only have the City Designer add-on.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

PC Race Index

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:55 am

Here's what I've been working on today...

PC Race Index
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Re: PC Race Index

Post by Azaghal » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Knightfall wrote:Here's what I've been working on today...

PC Race Index
Impressive racial list Knightfall! :D

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: PC Race Index

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:39 am

Azaghal wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Here's what I've been working on today...

PC Race Index
Impressive racial list Knightfall! :D
Thanks Azaghul! ;)

I added a new section for my homebrewed races as well as several online sources such as Beyond the Moons and EN World's Creature Catalog. I have a feeling it will be the section that gets tweaked all the time. Heh. :)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:53 am

I would expect so, races and critters are always gonna be tweaked with.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:10 am

Azaghal wrote:I would expect so, races and critters are always gonna be tweaked with.
Working on the lists has made me want to finish some of the racial traits that need to be finished. Here's one...

Phanaton Racial Traits
Phanatons benefit from a number of racial traits:
  • +4 to Dexterity, +2 to Wisdom, -2 to Charisma. Phanatons are agile, and they understand the ways of the natural world; however, they prefer to be left alone so they don't interact well with other races.
  • Small-sized. As Small creatures, phanatons gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks. But they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size characters.
  • Monstrous Humanoid: Phanatons are monstrous humanoids, and are therefore immune to spells that only affect humanoids, such as charm person.
  • Darkvision out to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and phanatons can function just fine with no light at all.
  • A phanaton's base speed is 30 feet. Phanatons can also climb at a speed of 30 feet and glide at a speed of 15 feet.
  • +1 natural armor class.
  • A phanaton gains the Weapon Finesse feat for free at 1st-level.
  • Natural Attack: Phanatons may attack with a bite (1d4) and are always treated as being armed when using their bite attack.
  • Forest Empathy (Ex): A phanaton has an empathic link with its forest surroundings, alerting it to danger before it arrives. This grants a phanaton a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws while in a forest. Phanatons are never surprised when encountered in a forest setting.
  • Prehensile Tail (Ex): A phanaton’s tail allows it to use its tail to manipulate objects. The tail can be used as an extra hand for Multiweapon Fighting and grants a phanaton a +2 competence bonus on Grapple checks and Climb checks.
  • A phanaton gains Scent as a special quality.
  • Skills: A phanaton uses her Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, receives a +8 racial bonus to Balance and Move Silently checks, and +2 racial bonus to Sleight of Hand checks. A phanaton has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. A phanaton gains a +2 competence bonus on Survival checks to avoid becoming lost in a forest.
  • Automatic Languages: Phanaton and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Kitt, Rakasta. The phanatons of Harqual can also choose from the following bonus languages: T'skrang and Thersean.
  • Favored Class: Wilderness Rogue. A multiclass phanaton's wilderness rogue class does not count when determining whether she suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.
  • Level Adjustment: +4
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 am

A new thread for Harqual... this one for creatures.

Creatures of Harqual (old version)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Dragonborn [of Kulan]
I really like D&D Races of the Dragon, but I'm not fond of the dragonborn and spellscales races in it as presented. I prefer the 4e version, so I decided to build a v.3.5e version of the race that is based on combining the two races in RotD with the 4e version as well as some of the MM v.3.5 lizardfolk thrown in as well.

Here's my first draft of the racial traits for the Dragonborn of Kulan.

Dragonborn Racial Traits
Dragonborn benefit from a number of racial traits:
  • +2 to Strength, -2 to Dexterity, +2 to Constitution, +2 to Charisma. Dragonborn are strong in body and they project a confidence that is hard to ignore, yet they are not very graceful in their movements.
  • Monstrous Humanoid: Dragonborn are monstrous humanoids, and are therefore immune to spells that only affect humanoids, such as charm person.
  • Dragonblooded Subtype: For all effects related to race, a dragonborn is considered a dragon. For example, they are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect dragons as their dragon ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by dragons.
  • Medium-sized. As Medium creatures, dragonborn have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
  • A dragonborn's base land speed is 30 feet.
  • Keen Vision (Ex): Dragonborn have low-light vision that allows them see twice as far as a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of low illumination. They also have darkvision at a range of 60 feet.
  • +2 dodge bonus to AC against creatures of the dragon subtype. Dragonborn are strongly linked to dragons; therefore, they have an innate sense when fighting such opponents.
  • Racial Hit Dice: A dragonborn begins with three levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +1.
  • Racial Skills: A dragonborn’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 x (2 + Int Modifier). Its class skills are Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (dracology), Knowledge (history), Sense Motive, Stamina, and Swim. A dragonborn gains a +2 racial bonus to Intimidate, Knowledge (dracology), Knowledge (history) checks.
  • Racial Feats: A dragonborn's monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
  • Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A dragonborn is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields.
  • +5 natural armor bonus.
  • Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
  • Immunity to Frightful Presence: Dragonborn are immune to the frightful presence ability of dragons, just as if they were dragons.
  • Dragon Breath (Su): A dragonborn gains a breath weapon. The breath weapon is a bright, multicolored line of energy. The line's length is 15 feet plus 5 feet per Hit Die the dragonborn has, up to a maximum of 100 feet at 20 HD. The breath weapon deals 2d8 points of damage, plus and extra 1d8 points for each 3 HD the dragonborn possesses (3d8 at 6 HD, 4d8 at 9 HD, and so on.) The damage can be acid, cold, electricity, or fire, changing on each use as the dragonborn chooses. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the dragonborn's HD + his Con Modifier) halves the damage. A dragonborn can use his breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds.
  • Automatic Languages: Draconic and any one regional language. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Kitt, Orc, Rakasta, and any one regional language. Dragonborn are known throughout the World of Kulan; therefore, they may choose from a variety of languages.
  • Favored Class: Players may choose either the Fighter or Sorcerer class as their dragonborn's favored class. Once the player has made this choice the decision cannot be changed. A multiclass dragonborn's favored class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.
  • Level Adjustment: +4
Random Starting Ages
Adult: 20 years
Bbn/Rog/Sor: +1d8
Brd/Ftr/Pal/Rgr/Trd: +1d12
Clr/Drd/Elm/Mnk/Wiz: +2d8

Aging Effects
Middle Age: 100 years
Old: 190 years
Venerable: 280 years
Maximum Age: +5d20 years
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:44 am

Knightfall wrote:A new thread for Harqual... this one for creatures.

Creatures of Harqual
Another really impressive list, very complete! Love the homebrewed creatures.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:58 am

Azaghal wrote:
Knightfall wrote:A new thread for Harqual... this one for creatures.

Creatures of Harqual
Another really impressive list, very complete! Love the homebrewed creatures.
Thanks, I've stepped back from the threads on my ENW social group forum. I'm working on my list of gods for my largest continent, Kanpur. It is turning into a big list. Here are my headings and subheadings for the list, so far...

Gods of Bard's Gate (still to be added)
- Major Gods
- Minor Gods
- Other Gods of Bard's Gate
Gods of Sharn (i.e. EBERRON)
- The Sovereign Host
- The Dark Six
- Other God's of Sharn
Gods of the Dark Continent (i.e. African)
Gods of the Far East
- The Celestial Bureaucracy (i.e. Chinese)
- The Gods of Wuhan (i.e. Japanese)
- The Vedic Gods (i.e. East Indian)
- Other Gods of the Eastern Lands
The Gods of the West
- Gods of Almadon (i.e Basque)
- Gods of Bluffside
- Gods of Novarum (i.e. Twin Crowns [by Living Imagination])
- Other Gods of the West
The Hellenic Gods
- The Olympians
- The Disaffected
- The Fallen
- The Titans and Primordials
Khemitian Pantheon (i.e. Gary Gygax's Necropolis/Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra)
- The Pesedjet
- The “Lesser” Gods
- Khemitian Demigods
The Scandinavian Gods
- The Asgard
- The Finns
- The Forsaken
The Senescent Gods
- The Babylonians
- The Sumerians
The Slavic Gods
Zakharan Pantheon (i.e. FORGOTTEN REALMS Land of Fate)
Other Gods of Kanpur
Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:30 am

Indeed a massive list, I expect we will see it soon.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Azaghal wrote:Indeed a massive list, I expect we will see it soon.
Yes, at some point I'll likely post it on my Kanpur thread @ EN World. However, it might be a while since I'm still adding to it.

I just finished adding the Babylonian and the Sumerian deities plus I reoriginized the Khemitian pantheon to better reflect what is in Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra. I'll be adding several additional pantheons including the Slavic Gods from Frost & Fur: The Explorer's Guide to the Frozen North.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:36 pm

At some point I'd live to see the whole thing pulled together as a massive pdf.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:57 pm

Azaghal wrote:At some point I'd live to see the whole thing pulled together as a massive pdf.
I'm sure I can arrange that. :D

I've already done some of my deity lists for my other continents as PDFs (using OpenOffice); although, all of those PDF lists need to be updated. It's amazing how often updating one list leads to updating all the others. :roll:
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:20 am

Knightfall wrote:
Azaghal wrote:At some point I'd live to see the whole thing pulled together as a massive pdf.
I'm sure I can arrange that. :D

I've already done some of my deity lists for my other continents as PDFs (using OpenOffice); although, all of those PDF lists need to be updated. It's amazing how often updating one list leads to updating all the others. :roll:
:lol: That's the truth, I wanted a better merchanting system for Spelljammer and so I started working with Traveller:Merchant Prince but I'm thinking there may be some Harn stuff and Rolemaster and ....... I have no idea what else.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:30 am

FYI...

When/If I put my list of Kanpur Deities online, the following thread on EN World will be where it gets posted...

Kulan: The Ancient Lands of Kanpur [v.3.5]
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”