Moderators: Idabrius, Knightfall

[Kulan] Knightfall's Mirrored Cosmology

Postby Knightfall » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:14 pm

COSMOLOGY OVERVIEW

The Material Plane
Aragard [Sons of Asgard] (RPB)
● Azeroth (Warcraft: The RPG) (d20)
Blackmoor (DA) (d20)
● Bloodsworn (homebrewed Oathbound: Domains of the Forge [d20])
Broken Scarn (homebrewed Scarred Lands [d20]) (PA) (RPB)
● Dendri (Expansion 11) (BCD)
Fallen Realms, the (hombrewed Forgotten Realms [3E]) (PA) (RPB)
● Green War, The (Timothy Brown's Green Races) (d20)
Gothos (The Hunt: Rise of Evil) (d20)
Icarus (RPB)
Iceshard (RPB)
● Krynnfall (homebrewed Dragonlance [3E]) (PA) (RPB)
→ Taladas Rising [2E -> 3E] (RPB)
● Lizard Kingdoms, the (BCD)
Maran [Dark World] (RPB) (CC)
● Mountains of the Five Winds (BCD)
Nehwon (LKM) (1E) (2E)
● Norrath [and Luclin] (EverQuest RPG) (d20)
Odyssey World (RPB) (2E)
→ Council of Wyrms (2E)
→ Jakandor (2E)
Lands of Mystery (DUN)
→ Maztica (2E)
→ Red Steel (2E) | ODYSSEY Savage Coast (2E)
→ Tale of the Comet (2E)
→ Various AD&D 2E adventures/sourcebooks
Praemal (Monte Cook’s Ptolus [d20])
● Primal Gardens of Yragon, the (BCD)
Ptalmanar [Twin Crowns] (d20)
→ There are portals between this world and Kulan.
Salitt (RPB)
Sio (IH)
Spirosblaak (d20)
Tellene [Kingdoms of Kalamar] (d20)
● Tevaeral, Magic’s Last Stand (BCD)
Thraxis [Morningstar] (d20)
● World of Chanak (in same Crystal Sphere as Odyssey World) [Creative Campaigning] (2E)
→ Portals link to Kulan
World of Kulan (RPB) (my primary homebrew) [Facebook Group]
→ Al-Qadim (modified) (2E)
→ Arekoz (heavily modified) (d20)
→ Bluffside: City on the Edge (d20)
→ Cauldron [Shackled City Adventure Path]
→ Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands (d20)
→ Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra (d20)
→ Freeport (d20) | (systemless)
→ Isle of Dread [Savage Tide Adventure Path]
→ Nentir Vale (modified) (4E)
→ Streets of Silver [w/Twin Crowns as reference] (d20)
→ Sharn (modified)
→ Valus (d20)
→ Waterdeep (modified)
→ ...and much more
World Unknown, the (homebrewed Mystara) (PA) (RPB)
Unnamed Campaign Expansion (RPB)

The Transitive Planes
Ethereal Plane
Hinterlands of the Lost (modified) *
Plane of Mirrors (modified)
Shadowstar Sea (RPB)
Spire of the Outlands (re-envisioning of the Spire) *
→ Magic does not become impeded near the Spire in this cosmology but is instead enhanced.
Spirit World
Temporal Maelstrom (based on what is in the 3E D&D Manual of the Planes and the 2E AD&D Chronomancer accessory) (name borrowed from Twin Agate Dragons)

The Inner Planes
Elemental Planes
● Elemental Plane of Air
● Elemental Plane of Earth
● Elemental Plane of Fire
● Elemental Plane of Water

Para-Elemental Planes (PS) (2E)
● Para-Elemental Plane of Ice
● Para-Elemental Plane of Magma
● Para-Elemental Plane of Ooze
● Para-Elemental Plane of Smoke

Unique Elemental Plane
● Elemental Plane of Wood

The Outer Planes
The Ascendant/Descendant Planes
Crystal Roads of Deluer (BCD, modified)
Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus (modified)
Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo (modified)
Ouno, the Storm Realm (BCD, modified)
Concordant Domains of the Outlands (re-envisioned)
● Upper Outlands
● Lower Outlands

The Upper Planes
Mechanus Ascendant
● Axis (PFC)
Eternal Paradise of Anu (RPB)
Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia
● Abellio
● Buxenus
Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia
● Lunia
● Mercuria
● Venya
● Solania
● Mertion
● Jovar
● Chronias
Twin Paradises of Bytopia
● Dothion
● Shurrock
Deluer Ascendant
Blessed Fields of Elysium
● Amoria
● Eronia
● Belierin
● Thalasia
Ouno Ascendant
Wilderness of the Beastlands
● Krigala
● Brux
● Karasuthra
Mystic Glades of Arborea (modified)
● Arvandor
● Aquallor
● Mithardir
Heroic Domains of Ysgard (modified)
● Ysgard
● Muspelheim
● Nidavellir
Starry Skies of Linnunrata (RPB)
Limbo Ascendant

The Lower Planes
Limbo Descendant
Burning Shadows of Kin-Li’in (BCD)
Windswept Depths of Pandemonium
● Pandesmos
● Cocytus
● Phlegethon
→ Unseelie Court
● Agathion
Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Demonweb Pits replaced by Palpatur (BCD)
Tarterian Depths of Carceri
● Orthrys
● Cathrys
● Minethys
● Colothys
● Porphatys
● Agathys
Ouno Descendant
Gray Waste of Tuonela (modified)
● Oinos
● Pohjola (RPB)
● Niflheim
● Pluton
● Abaddon (PFC)
Deluer Descendant
Bleak Eternity of Gehenna
● Khalas
● Chamada
● Mungoth
● Krangath
Nine Hells of Baator
● Avernus
● Dis
● Minauros
● Phlegethos
● Stygia
● Malbolge
● Maladomini
● Cania
● Nessus
Infernal Battlefields of Acheron
● Avalas
● Thuldanin
● Tintibulus
● Ocanthus
Ten Courts of Hell (BCD)
Mechanus Descendant
● Axis (PFC)

Demiplanes of the Mirrored Cosmology
Common Ground (modified)
Darklands (re-envisioning of a region from the Plane of Shadows)
The Maze (BCD)
The Observatorium (modified)
Ravenloft (heavily modified)
Shadowstar Hall (RPB)

Other Planes of the Mirrored Cosmology
Afqithan (SEP)
Curnorost, Realm of Dead Angels (BCD)
Far Realm
Godsland (LKM) (1E) (2E)
Plane of Faerie (modified)
● Faraenyl (BCD)
Plane of Graves (RPB)
● The Boneyard (PFC)
Plane of Hate (EverQuest RPG) (d20) (maybe)
Plane of Molten Skies (CoB)
Plane of Serenity (RPB)
Plane of Unseen Infinity (RPB)
Allorspace (RPB)
● Avidarel, The Sundered Star (BCD)
● Carrigmoor (BCD)
Fane's Star (RPB)
Kalespace (RPB)
Kulanspace (RPB)
→ Rock of Bral (modified) (SJ) (2E)
● Maranspace (RPB)
● Pyrespace (Shadow of the Spider Moon) (SJ) (Poly)
● Tradespace (RPB)
Tristar (RPB)
● Venomheart, Haven of the Sleep Pirates (BCD)
Region of Dreams
Seelie Court (wanders)
Sleeping God’s Soul (BCD)
The Violet (BCD)

Unique Planar Cities
Demiplanar Cities
● Bottleneck (RPB) (systemless)
City of Union (modified)
● Lost City of Cyrad (homebrewed version of B4: The Lost City) (BSC)
Hinter Lost (RPB)
Sigil, City of Doors (modified)

Planar Cities
Balefire (modified)
● City of Brass (CoB)
Conil-a-Ald (modified)
● Gloomwrought (4E)
Mithrendain (4E)
Tattenger (RPB)
● Tu'Narath
● Zerthadlun (4E)

Worlds Beyond the Mirrored Cosmology
Online Worlds
The Edge
● Galovinius (DD) (d20)
Mythosa
World of Farland (d20)

Other Known Material Planes
Arcanis (d20)
● Athas [Dark Sun] (Revised boxed set [2E])
Caen [Iron Kingdoms] (d20)
→ Caen is in my Steampunk Spelljammer cosmology.
Conan, The Hyborian Age (d20)
● Eberron (3E)
→ Eberron is in my Steampunk Spelljammer cosmology. No variant in the Mirrored Cosmology.
Erde (CC, d20)
Eredane [Midnight] (d20)
Golarion [Pathfinder] (PFRPG)
Hellfrost (SVW)
● Krynn [Dragonlance] (Tales of the Lance and Time of the Dragon [2E])
● Laddroth (BCD)
● Oerth [Greyhawk] (From the Ashes [2E])
● Planescape [2E]
→ The classic 2E versions of Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk exist in the standard 2E Planescape campaign setting. Dark Sun will not be directly connected to Planescape, but portals are possible
Serran [The Diamond Throne] (AUE)
● Spelljammer [2E]
→ The classic 2E versions of Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk exist in the standard 2E Spelljammer universe. Dark Sun will not be connected to Spelljammer at all.
Thieves' World (d20)
● Toril [Forgotten Realms] [post "Time of Troubles" [2E]]
Wilderlands of High Fantasy (d20)
World of Avadnu [Violet Dawn] (d20)

Worlds Beyond the Mirrored Cosmology (Homebrewed)
Fantasy Campaign Settings
Knightfall's Homebrewed Campaign Settings (RPB)
Aernth (4E)
Crater World (5E)
Herofall (CC)
HexWorld (2E)
→ Exists in the standard AD&D 2E Spelljammer universe.
Hunter's Planet (BSC)
Lost Shores (PFRPG)
Next World, The (5E)
Risen Lands (PFRPG)
● Savage Realms, The (SVW)
Second World, The (PA) (2E)
Swashtopia (1E)
Tarras (5E)
→ City of Tantus (demiplane)
Rielun [Time of Ages] (main world of my Steampunk Spelljammer setting)
Warped World (2E)
Winter World (1E)
World of Blackraven (BSC)
World of Worlds [Various Rulesets]

Online Fantasy Worlds
Charagan
Britannia Magica
Cydra (4E)
Nyllmor (2E)
Spira
Sarûnia (PFRPG)
Solmand: The Stolen World (PFRPG)
Wyre (SEP)

Science Fantasy/Fiction Campaign Settings (included for completeness)
Knightfall's Homebrewed Campaign Settings (RPB)
● AlterEarth (ALT) (20F)
Arcanum of the Stars (DS)
● Battle Planet (20F)
● Guardian Chronicles (FATE)
Project Phoenix (???)
● Shock & Roll (20M) (SVW)
● Unnamed Universe, The (ALT)

1E = An AD&D 1E setting, or an official source from AD&D 1st Edition; 20D = d20 Modern setting; 20F = d20 Future setting; 2E = An AD&D 2E setting, or an official source from AD&D 2nd Edition; 4E = A 4E/GSL setting, or an official source from D&D 4th Edition; 5E = A D&D Next setting, or an official source from D&D 5th Edition; ALT = Alternity setting; AUE = Arcana Unearthed/Evolved setting; BCD = Beyond Countless Doorways (d20 sourcebook); BSC = A BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia setting, or an official source from D&D BECMI; CC = Castles & Crusades setting; CoB = City of Brass; d20 = A d20 system or OGL campaign setting; DA = Dave Arneson; DD = Darrin Drader; DS = Dragonstar setting; IH = Iron Heroes setting; LKM = Lankhmar (1st Edition); MC = Monte Cook's Ptolus; MM2 = Mutants & Masterminds 2E setting; PA = post-apocalyptic; PFRPG = Pathfinder Roleplaying; PS = Planescape; Poly = Polyhedron; RPB = Robert “Knightfall1972” Blezard’s Homebrewed Worlds; SC2 = Spycraft 2.0 setting; SEP = created by Jameson “Sepulchrave II” Ferris; SJ = Spelljammer; SVW = Savage Worlds setting
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 45 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Knightfall's Mirrored Cosmology

Postby Knightfall » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:18 pm

This cosmology was originally designed to be a unique cosmology for World of Kulan, but I decided that I wanted it for both Kulan and a "evil has nearly won" setting I call Dark World.

Here's a map I created for the Inner Planes...

Inner Planes Map
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Another name for this cosmology is the Double Wheel. Here's my map of the Outer Planes as that double wheel.

Outer Planes Map
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Mirrored Cosmology on EN World
Knightfall's Mirrored Cosmology
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Copied over from EN World

Postby Knightfall » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:49 pm

The Ascendant / Descendant Planes
In the Mirrored Cosmology, their is always a flip side to every view point. This is true for the entire cosmology. Thus, planes that are strickly lawful neutral or chaotic neutral mirror each other but don't mirror the concept of good vs. evil. However, in the Mirrored Cosmology, the Outer Planes are physically divided by this concept.

The Upper Planes exist above Sigil, while the Lower Planes exist below Sigil. which still sits in the center of the Outer Planes. So, how do I handle planes such as Limbo and Mechanus, not to mention the Outlands? Where do they go?

The answer was simpler than I thought. They exist on both sides of that cosmic coin.

When visiting the Upper Planes, it is possible to reach Mechanus and/or Limbo's portal towns just by walking the upper ring. But at the same time, you can also reach them by walking the lower ring. Those two planes are both ascendant and descendant. They are both influenced by good and by evil, and, thus, have a unique place in the cosmos. (Deluer and Ouno are also like this.)

For the Outlands, things are a bit different. There isn't one plane known as the Outlands, instead there are two. The Upper Outlands lead to the Upper Planes, while the Lower Outlands lead to the Lower Planes. (I'd like to have better names for them, but at this point "Upper" and "Lower" will have to do.)

(The Hinterlands are like this too, but the effect isn't as pronounced.)

Note that the portal towns for Deluer, Limbo, Mechanus, and Ouno exist on both the Upper and Lower Outlands, which confuses the Nine Hells out of Primes (and planewalkers from other realities). There aren't 8 portal towns for these planes, only 4. They are the same towns, although a traveler would feel like he's stepped into a mirrored community, as a ascendant / descendant portal town "feels" different depending on which side of the cosmos you are on.

On the Ascendant side, everything seems brighter and more peaceful. On the Desendant side, the portal town seems darker and on edge. But it's the same town with the same people. Only the traveler has changed, due to the power of good vs. evil.

Anyone have a headache, yet? :P

Note that this "feeling" is also true for the Ascendant / Descendant Planes, depending on how you arrived on the plane. If you arrive on Limbo from the Ascendant side, then everywhere you go, things seem to be more vibrant and alive -- more positive. If you come from the other side, then beware slaadi bearing gifts. Perception more than belief rules the Mirrored Cosmology. Belief is important, but it tend to become skewed.

No where else is this more noticable than on the Spire of the Outlands. Called the Spirelands, for short, it exists on both sides of the cosmos as well, and it is VERY different from the Spire in the Core D&D Cosmology. The spire is plane unto itself, and is considered true neutral. Magic is not impeded the closer you get to the spire. The spire is a transitive plane from the Upper Outlands to the Lower Outlands. Note: You can't physically get to Sigil by walking the Spire, but you can fly from the Spire to Sigil, if the Lord of Sigil is willing to allow you passage. (More on that later.)

Note: Sigil is never considered Ascendant or Descendant, but it is different in this cosmology.

At the very center of the Outer Planes, or what planewalkers call the Center of Everywhere, is a gateway from the Ascendant side of the Spirelands to the Descendant side. This gateway isn't a physical gate (well, sort of), just a "feeling" one gets when you cross over.

Just before the center, if a person looks up then they will see Sigil above and in front of them. If the person looks behind them, then they see the lands of the Spire stretching out before them with the lands of the Upper Outlands in the distance, with a radiant light everywhere.

During this walk, the person has the feeling that they are walking "DOWN" towards Sigil. In front of them is only what can be described a mirror image of where the traveler has just come from, but darker. In this mirror, the traveler actually sees himself approaching from the other side, a much darker version of himself. Almost like someone was holding up a mirror to his soul.

To physically pass through to the other side, one must walk through the mirror. (Think Alice in Wonderland, except the mirror has no frame and extends as far as the eye can see, and beyond.)

Once on the other side, everything flips. You still feel like you're walking down, but it's a down that makes you nervous, unless you heart is black. The Center of Everything is now behind you, and Sigil now seems to be more above and behind you. The more troubling lands of the Spire stretch out in front of you with the lands of the Lower Outlands in the distance, with a fiery light everywhere. If you look at your reflection in the mirror, behind you, you see a more bright and cheerful version of yourself staring back.

It's very surreal.

Well, in a nutshell, that's what i mean by Ascendant and Descendant for this cosmology. Let the questions a mental mayham begin!!!
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Copied over from EN World

Postby Knightfall » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Shadowstar Sea
The Shadowstar is a combination of the Plane of Shadow and the Astral Plane. I haven't worked out all the logistics yet but basically you have to cross into the Shadowstar Sea before being able to cross into the Upper Planes and Lower Planes.

It is the main transitive plane connecting to the Ethereal Plane, the Elemental and Paraelemental Planes and the Outer Planes, but not directly to the Material Plane. In order to get to the Shadowstar Sea from the Material Plane you have to first pass through the Ethereal into the Deep Ethereal or to one of the Elemental or Paraelemental Planes. Then you make the journey to the Shadowstar Sea.

Shadowstar Traits
· Subjective Directional Gravity.
· Flowing Time: 1 minute = 1 round. On the Shadowstar Sea, time moves at a slower pace. For every minute that passes on the Material Plane one round (6 seconds) passes on the Shadowstar Sea.
· Infinite Size.
· Alterable Morphic.
· No Elemental or Energy Traits: Some regions and features of the Shadowstar Sea may have one or more of these traits, but the plane as a whole does not.
· Mildly Neutral-Aligned.
· Enhanced Magic: Spells with the darkness, light, pattern, or shadow descriptor are enhanced on the Shadowstar Sea. Such spells are cast as though they were prepared with the Enlarge Spell and Extend Spell feats; although, they don't require higher-level slots to cast. Spells that use positive or negative energy are enhanced on the Shadowstar Sea near [within 1,000 ft.] portals that lead to the Outer Planes (depending on where the portal leads). Such spells are cast as though they were prepared with the Maximize Spell feat; although, they don't require higher-level slots to cast.

Overview
The Shadowstar Sea is halfway between the Astral and Shadow planes in look and feel — not horribly dark and gloomy, like Shadow, yet not overtly radiant, like Astral, either. The closer you are to the portals leading to the Upper Planes the brighter and more wide open it feels, while the closer to the portals leading to the Lower Planes the gloomer and more closed off it feels. The Shadowstar Sea is also heavily influenced by both positive and negative planar traits depending on which region of the plane you are in. (There isn't a Positive Energy Plane or a Negative Energy Plane in the Mirrored Cosmology.)

Spells that would require the Astral Plane or Plane of Shadow work through the Shadowstar Sea. However, these spells, in reality, pass through the Ethereal, first. Thus, shadow walk doesn't take you all the way to the Shadowstar Sea but basically functions the same way. Astral and Shadow-based spells only ever take you as far as the Deep Ethereal unless your goal is to travel to the Shadowstar Sea (i.e. astral projection) or beyond.

DM's Note: One could say that shadow walk should actually be called "deepether walk" for this cosmology, but that sounds too clunky. Some of these Shadowstar spells might need to change in level in my campaign. Either that or I might need to create "greater" versions of certain spells. However, I'm not going to tinker with spells unless I have to.

Shadowstar Inhabitants
In the Mirrored Cosmology, the Shadowstar Sea is home to almost any creature of Shadow, and it is also the home of all creatures that would normally be found in the Astral plane. This includes such creatures as the astral dreadnaught and the githyanki as well as shadow mastiffs and and the shadar-kai. Note that the Shadowstar Sea is also influenced by both positive and negative energy, so creatures of both positive and negative energy can be found on the transitive plane as well. This includes many types of undead, the xeg-yi & the xag-ya, and ravids. Many creatures from the Elemental and Paraelemental Planes can also be found travelling the dusky sky of the Shadowstar Sea, especially genies and their kin. However, most of these elemental travelers aren't native to the plane; instead, they are simply passing through.

The shadestar races often find themselves in conflict over differences in ideology and society. This is especially true of the githyanki and the shadar-kai. Both of these races believe it is their race's destiny to conquer every landmass and fallen divine form. The two races are constantly at war with each other, and travelers are encouraged to not get between the two races when conflict breaks out (which is all the time). The xeg-yi and the xag-ya also attack each other on sight, but they don't go out of their way to seek each other out. Ravids despise the undead and hunt them throughout the plane. Ravids will also attack any creature that uses negative energy.

Movement and Combat
Unlike the Astral and Shadow planes, the Shadowstar Sea has subjective directional gravity like the Elemental Plane of Air. Thus, those suspended in midair decide which way to fly by deciding which way is down for them. When on one of the planes many landmasses whether they be earthbergs or floating remains of dead gods sent to oblivion, a traveler simply chooses "down" to be near his feet. If given the choice between flying and walking most natives of the Shadowstar prefer to fly. This preference also lends itself towards aerial combat throughout the dusky sky of the plane, and the inhabitants of the plane consider it bad form to fight while grounded. Since the plane is dominated by a flier's way-of-life, many of its inhabitants uses airships and spelljammers to travel from one place to the next. The plane doesn't have air currents, so spelljammers are more common than airships. The magical force of a spelljamming helm supersedes the magic of the plane for an unknown reason. Most of the shadestar races uses such vessels to trade with or make war against each other.

Features of the Shadowstar Sea
Since the Shadowstar Sea is filled with more life and landmasses then you would find on an Astral or Shadow plane, it is more crowded. The Shadowstar Sea is often referred to as the Crossroads of the Inner Planes. Some planar sages believe the plane is slowly becoming more of an Inner Plane than a transitive plane but such speculation is rarely taken seriously.

The plane is more hospitable than other transitive planes, however.

It has air. It has water and food in abundance; however, these two resources are usually guarded jealously by the shadestar races, so visitors should make sure to bring their own. The plane's constant dusky sky isn't true darkness, so finding one's way isn't as hard as on a Shadow plane. The perpetual twilight does tend to dampen the plane's flora and fauna, but the gloom doesn't have a far-reaching magical effect on travelers. Shadow magic is enhanced, but light magic isn't impeded. Light cuts through the plane just as it would on the Material Plane. Regardless, vision fades at about 500 feet.

· Chromatic Tornadoes (Dragon #321, pg. 66)
· Conil-a-Ald (Harp of Glass) (Dragon #321, pg. 68)
· Dead Deities (MotP, pg. 51)
· Fixed and Drifting Islands (Dragon #321, pg. 66)
· Githyanki on the Shadowstar Sea
→ Details to be added later.
· Shadowstar Hall
→ Demiplane, will have its own entry on my wiki.
· Prisme (Dragon #321, pg. 68) [?]
· Radiant Clouds (Dragon #321, pg. 66) [?]
· Shadar-kai of the Shadowstar Sea
→ Details to be added later.
· The Breath of Threphocris (Planar Handbook, pg. 165 - 167)
· The Eye of Gu'n'ragh (Planar Handbook, pg. 174 - 175)
· The Hospice (MotP, pg. 84)
· The Shadowstar Bridge (the rainbow bridge) (Dragon #321, pg. 65)
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:00 am

Creatures of of Shadowstar Sea
Here is my inital list of creatures that will be native to the Shadowstar Sea. Any entry marked with a [?] is a note to myself that I'm not sure the creature is appropriate for the plane.

Note that I've not included the Shadow Creature template or Umbral Creature template in this list. I'm thinking that those two types of creatures won't be native to the Shadowstar but often show up there. I haven't decided yet.

Official D&D Sources

Fiend Folio
· Aoa (Droplet, Sphere)
· Darkweaver
· Giant, shadow
· Shadar-kai
· Shadow asp
· Shedu

Manual of the Planes
· Energon (Xag-ya, Xeg-yi)
· Ephemera (Dusk Beast, Ecalypse, Umbral Banyan)
· Shadestar Dreadnought (astral dreadnought)

Monster Manual
· Couatl
· Githyanki
· Harpy
· Lammasu
· Lillend
· Nightshade (Nightcrawler, Nightwalker, Nightwing)
· Rakshasa
· Ravid
· Shadow Mastiff
· Will-o-Wisp

Monster Manual II
· Glimmerskin
· Shadow Spider

Monster Manual III

· Lumi
· Rakshasa (Ak'chazar, Naztharune)
· Shadesteel Golem
· Trilloch
· Shadestar Stalker (astral stalker)

Planar Handbook
· Entropic Creature (template)
· Shadestar Kraken (astral kraken)
· Shadow Jelly
· Vivacious Creature (template)
· Void Ooze

Other D&D Sources
· Beacon Moth (Drg #322)
· Cloaker, Shadowcloak Elder [LoM]
· Dragon, Shadestar (shadow dragon) (Draconmicon)
· Glimmerfolk (Drg #321)
· Gloom [ELH]
· Hag, Dusk [ECS] [?]
· Prismfly Swarm (Drg #321)
· Rakshasa, Zakya [ECS]
· Shade [FRCS]
· Shadestar Dweller (rainbow dweller) (Drg #321)
· Shadow Beast (Ghirrash, Khumat, Thaskor) [MinHB]
· Shadow Wight [Bestiary of Krynn: Revised]
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:01 am

More on the Shadowstar Sea
The Shadowstar Sea has it's own unique geography. It is more like a void, similar to the Astral Plane, but there is a lot more in it. Earthbergs (i.e. floating islands) are common and many of them are connected to each other by what's know as the Shadestar Bridge. Others are free floating. Many of these earthbergs are the husks of the dead gods, but not all of them. And some of bergs aren't completely made of earth. Some are magma-bergs.

Basically, I took a lot of Astral, mixed it with the feel of the Plane of Shadow, and tossed in the energy creatures from Positive and Negative as well as the native creatures of the Plane of Radiance, which is detailed in Dragon Magazine #321. The Shadestar Bridge is basically stolen right from that plane of Radiance article, which is really cool.

Now, since the Shadowstar Sea is based on the combination of these planes, it has most of the locales from those planes on it.

I haven't worked out the logistics yet, but there are several key planar cities on the Shadowstar Sea: Balefire, City of Lanterns (Drg322, pg. 14-20); Conil-a-Ald, Harp of Glass (Drg321, pg. 68); and Tu'Narath (Planar Handbook, pg. 146-151).
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:06 am

Creatures of the Shadowstar Sea (cont.)

D20 Sources [Physical Books]

Advanced Bestiary
· Amalgam (template) (any astral and shadow creature combo)
· Crystal Creature (template)
· Divine Guardian (template)
· Dread Devourer (template)
· Mist Creature (template)
· Negative-Energy-Charged Creature (template) [?]
· Prismatic (template)
· Thunder Child (native to Elemental Air, but can be encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)

Creature Collection: Revised
· Celestian
· Dragon, Mock
· Moon Cat
· Night Tyrant

Creature Collection III: Savage Bestiary
· Gate Worm
· Glitterbug
· Mist Murderer
· Phase Mass
· Phoenix, Black

Minions: Fearsome Foes
· Asherake [?]
· Fallen, the (template)
· Forlorn (often found on the Shadowstar Sea but not native)
· Nightling [?]
· Quinnilip
· Shattered
· Urgoda

The Tome of Horrors II
· Inphidian, Cobra-Back *
· Inphidian, Common *
· Inphidian, Dancer/Charmer *
· Thundershrike

The Tome of Horrors II
· Dragon, Wrath (native to Celestia, but can be encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Elemental, Negative Energy
· Elemental, Positive Energy
· Genie, Abasheen (native to Elemental Air, but can be encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Genie, Hawanar (native to Elemental Air/Elemental Fire, but can be encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Inphidian, Night Adder *
· Inphidian, Rattler *
· Mephit, Lightning
· Netherspark
· Ooze, Entropic
· Tumblespark

Other D20 Sources
· Flipit (Deadliest Creatures Tome) (native to Elemental Air, but can be encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Kulumar (Year's Best D20)
· Malafide (Hyperconscious)
· Outcast Angel (template) (Anger of Angels)
· Sky Squid (extraplanar subtype added) (Deadliest Creatures Tome) (native to Elemental Air, but can be encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)

* Inphidians are extraplanar creatures for this cosmology.
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

CREATURES OF THE SHADOWSTAR SEA (Cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:09 am

D20 Sources [PDF Books]

Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition
· Darkjaunt Crawler
· Immortal (template)
· Shadowborne (template) [?]
· Undead-Blooded (template)

Requiem for a God
· Divinely-Infused Creature (template)
· Divinity Parasite
· Godflesh Golem
· Spectre of the Divine

Tome of Horrors: Revised
· Elemental Dragon, Air (native to Elemental Air but are often encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Elemental Dragon, Earth (native to Elemental Earth, but are often encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Elemental Dragon, Fire (native to Elemental Earth, but are encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Elemental Dragon, Water (native to Elemental Water, but are encounted on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Flumph
· Gloomwing
· Midnight Peddler (in cities)
· Moon Dog (native to Elysium, but are often encoutered on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Protector
· Quasi-Elemental, Lightning
· Rat, Shadow
· Shadestar Shark (astral shark)
· Shadow, Lesser (not native to but can be encountered on the Shadowstar Sea)
· Wind Walker (native to Elemental Aire, but are encounted on the Shadowstar Sea)

Other D20 PDF Sources
· Flashbeast (template) (Template Trove I)
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

CREATURES OF THE SHADOWSTAR SEA (Cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:12 am

Fan Conversions and Creations

Denizens of the Inner Planes (Planewalker.com)
· Balhiir [?]
· Darklight
· Drelb
· Elementite Swarm, Negative
· Nimbus
· Shimmering Wraith
· Vortex (native to Elemental Air, but can be encountered on the Shadowstar Sea [rare])

Denizens of the Transitive Planes (Planewalker.com)
· Berbalang [?]
· Devete
· Dhour
· Dragon, Astral *
· Garmorm [?]
· Harriat
· Kodragon
· Shadestar Bird (astral streaker) *
· Shadestar Searcher (astral searcher) [?] *
· Spectral Hound
· Translator

Other Sources
My creations are marked with this symbol (‡). They are posted on EN World. I'll link to them and any other creations I'm using, eventally. Note: This list is always in flux.

· Djilot (native to Elemental Air, but often encountered on the Shadowstar Sea) ‡
· Dragon, Ethereal Dreadnought ‡
· Dragon, Radiant (by Troy Gomm) *
· Kindori (by Mark Doolan) *
· Shadestar Energy Monster (astral energy monster) (EN World conversion) *
· Shadow Sprite (EN World, by "Wippit Gudd") *
· Time Lord ‡
· Vortex Spider (conversion done by various authors)
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:39 am

Darklands
This demiplane is an alternate version of the Darklands description on page 63 of the D&D Manual of the Planes. The Darklands are a plane infused with shadow and negative energy. It is a bleak and evil place best left to the undead or to the evil cultists that live there to learn the plane's secrets.

The Darklands can only be reached through the Ethereal Plane. More specifically, a traveler must pass through the Deep Ethereal to reach the edge of the Darklands. Once there, the blackness of the deep ether opens up into a dark, twisted landscape similar to the Plane of Shadow in other cosmologies. However, the Darklands isn't an infinite plane like that plane.

Darklands Traits
· Normal Gravity.
· Normal Time.
· Finite Size.
· Magically Morphic: Spells such as shadow conjuration and shadow evocation modify the base material of the Darklands. The utility and power of these spells within the Darklands make them particularly useful for explorers at natives alike.
· Minor Negative-Dominant: Unprotected, living creatures take 1d6 points of damage per round on the Darklands. At 0 hit points or less, they crumble into ash. However, some areas within the plane have the major negative-dominant trait, and these regions are dominated by undead creatures such as shadows and nightshades.
· Mildly Evil-Aligned: Good characters on the Darklands suffer a -2 penalty on all Charisma-based checks.
· Enhanced Magic: Spells with the darkness or shadow descriptor are enhanced on the Darklands. Such spells are cast as though they were prepared with the Maximize Spell feat, though they don't require the higher spell slots. The shadow spells listed under "Enhanced Magic" for the Plane of Shadow on pg. 60 of the D&D Manual of the Planes are more powerful on the Darklands as described in that section.
· Impeded Magic: Spells that use or generate light or fire may fizzle when cast on the Darklands. A spellcaster attempting a spell with the light or fire descriptor must succeed at a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the level of the spell). Spells that produce light are less effective in general, because all light sources have their ranges halved on the Darklands.

Overview
Section still to be written

Darklands Inhabitants

Movement and Combat
· Moil, The City That Waits (4E MotP, pg. 60-61)
→ Fortress of Conclusion (Return to the Tomb of Horrors)
· Nightcrawler Chasm
→ Balefire, City of Lanterns (Dragon #322, pg. 14-20)
· The Blinding Tower (Planar Handbook, pg. 162)
· The Sargasso of Entropy (Planar Handbook, pg. 185 - 186)
· The Shining Citadel (MotP, pg. 64)
· The Veil (Planar Handbook, pg. 158)
· Voidstone (MotP, pg. 81)
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Azaghal » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:36 am

Outstanding work! I can`t wait to see more! :D
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:52 pm

A Note about Drow in this Cosmology
While drow don't exist on the World of Kulan they do exist on Dark World, thus they have a place in cosmology, but I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it. What I can tell you for certain is the Demonweb Pits doesn't exist in this cosmology and neither does Lolth. I've never been a fan of that deity, and I refuse to have her exist in my cosmology.

Thus, the drow of Dark World (and elsewhere) will worship different deities. Part of me likes what has been done with the drow for the the Eberron campaign setting, but I'M not going to duplicate it. I want to come up with my own idea. (A lot of the drow of Maran live above ground and have fiendish blood, but they also live in the Dark Below.)

Both spiders and scorpions will play a part so I can still use driders, and make scorpionfolk related to drow. (Hmm... maybe.) Pacts with demons and devils is common amongst the drow of Maran. Those drow that live above ground tend to be lawful evil, while those living below ground are more often chaotic evil.

A Note about Greyhawk Deities in this Cosmology
Many of the deities from the World of Greyhawk have made it into this cosmology. In order to keep these deities from dominating the cosmos, however, I've reduced the power of the Greyhawk Deities (not including racial deities).

The idea is simple, the Greyhawk Deities are not from this "reality," and are thus considered "alien" deities in this cosmos. However, any of these deities that were demigods before, will likely remain demigods.

Here's what I mean...

For World of Kulan, the following Greyhawk Deities have influence, but are less powerful...

Intermediate
· Boccob

Lesser
· Celestian
· Ehlonna
· Erythnul
· Kord
· Olidammara
· Ralishaz
· Trithereon
· Ulaa
· Wee Jas

Demi-
· Joramy
· Sotillon
· Telchur
· Xan Yae

Heward, Wastri, and Zuoken are also deities for Kulan but they are all demigods. Heward is a hero deity on Greyhawk, I believe, but I wanted the god to be more important for Kulan.

For Dark World, the following Greyhawk Deities have influence, but are less powerful...

Intermediate
· Nerull
· Pelor

Lesser
· Heironeous
· Hextor
· Obad-Hai
· St. Cuthbert

Demi-
· Vecna

Note that these lists aren't set in stone and I'll add to them as I see fit.

Tharizdun is considered an Elder Evil for this cosmology.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:03 pm

A Note about the Forgotten Realms Deities in this Cosmology
Like the Core D&D Deities, most of the deities of the Forgotten Realms are cosidered to be "alien" deities, and are reduced in power. So, for World of Kulan, the following Forgotten Realms deities have influence, but are less powerful...

Intermediate
Akadi
Grumbar
Istishia
Kossuth

Lesser
Mielikki

Demi-
Ibrandul
Loviatar
Nobanion *
Vhaeraun *
--------------------
*These two deities have the same power level but their worship hardly exists beyond the World of Kulan.

Oghma is only a Lesser Deity in this cosmology. Also, I've decided to make both Eilistraee and Ghaunadaur stronger in this cosmology; they are considered Intermediate Deities. The Gods of Zakhara also exist in this cosmology.

Dark World doesn't use any of the Forgotten Realms Deities.

A Note about Birthright Deities in this Cosmology
There is one primary Birthright Deity that I use for the Lands of Harqual, Belinik. That deity has "joined" the Pantheon of Swords. While Belinik is still considered an Intermediate power in the Mirrored Cosmology, I have reduced the power levels of the other "alien" Cerilian power that I've included (so far) in my homebrewed cosmos...

Intermediate
Avani
Erik

Lesser
Sera

Demi-
Eloéle
Laerme

I like the fact that these 2e D&D deities aren't as well-known (no offense to the Brightright fans here) as those from Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms. Therfore, I'll likey try to find a place for all the Cerilian powers. However, they will remain "alien" powers from another "reality." :D

Dark World doesn't use any of the Birthright Deities.
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:37 pm

A Note about Real World Mythologies in this Cosmology
I've always been a fan of the various pantheons and deities of the real world, both as a student of history and as a gamer. However, I prefer to use those deities and pantheons in unusal ways.

For example, for the World of Kulan, and specifically, for the Lands of Harqual, I have used many real world deities. (The Pantheon of the North [i.e. North Gods] are the deities for the good guys. The Pantheon of Swords [i.e. Sword Gods] are the ones for the bad guys.) Both pantheons as well as a group of unaligned deiites known as the Interloper Gods, have real world gods and goddesses in the mix, some even from the same mythos.

For the North Gods, I have included Aegir, Bast, the Daghdha, Hades, Inanna, Lokun (i.e. Loki), Narvi, and Vali. For the Sword Gods, I have included Angrboda, Druaga, Hiisi, and Math Mathonwy. And for the Interloper Gods, I have included Ahto, Apollo, Dike, Dionysus, Hel, Loviatar, Mielikki, the Nine Daughters, Ptah, Rán, and Sigyn.

I've even built a mythos around the inclusion of all these deities.

Note that not all of the above deities are as they would be in their traditional real world-inspired D&D pantheons. Hades, for example, is LN in my cosmology, not NE. (Lokun is CN, not CE. And Inanna is LN, not LE.)

Here are the Real World pantheons that have the most influence in the Mirrored Cosmology...

The Asgardians
This is the pantheon with the most changes. In the Mirrored Cosmology, Ragnarok has come and gone. Many of the worlds where the Norse Gods had worshipers have been destroyed by Surtur. Asgard lies in ruins and many of the Aesir and Vanir are dead, or have "changed" in strange ways. (The most unusual of these is Loki, who now calls himself Lokun.) However, the cosmos didn't end, like the Norse believed it would and more of them survived then was believed, if you can call what most of them now exist as as survival. (Even old Odin survived, although he now calls himself Wotan, and aimlessly wanders Ysgard.) Those that have survived are little more than lesser deities or demigods, except for those that have attached themselves to another pantheon (i.e. Lokun).

Note: Ragnarok and the Divinity War between the North Gods and the Sword Gods (of Harqual) happened at the same time. Some believe that the Divinity War sparked the beginning of Ragnarok.

The Aztecs
The Aztecs Mythos is detailed in four issues of Dragon Magazine. I finally have all four and, as a result, this Pantheon is about to become one of the more powerful ones in the Mirrored Cosmology. (I'm going to miss the print version of Dragon so much.)

The Babylonians and Sumerians
These two pantheons aren't major forces for Kulan, but they have a lot of influence on the planes. Note that Inanna isn't considered a Sumerian deity anymore, and is instead known throughout the cosmos as a member of the North Gods.

The Celts
The celts have a lot of planar influence, but tend to stick to their own. There are exceptions, however. Arawn, the Daghdha, Math Mathonwy, and Oghma have all strayed from the expected path.

The Egyptians
I plan to use Gary Gygax's Necropolis and Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra for World of Kulan, but I also make use of the information presented in D&D Deities and Demigods. This is one of the most powerful pantheons in the cosmos, but they are limited on Kulan.

The Finns
I've always liked the Finns and after making Hiisi one of the worst evils in the universe, the rest just joined the party. Note that I prefer to use the Finnish version of Loviatar and Mielikki instead of the Realms versions. Ahto, Hiisi, Loviatar, Mielikki, and Untamo have the most influence.

The Greeks
The greeks are definitely not the powerhouse pantheon like they are in other cosmologies. They have fallen on hard times, and decadance and corruption has spread through Olympus like a plague. Their faith is limited to one area, on Kulan; although, they have many followers throughout the cosmos. Many of the Olympians have begun to stray away from their roots with Apollo, Ares, Dike, Dionysus, Hera, Nike, Tyche, and Hades having all gone their own way, and they are very different from the Olympians we all know. (Zeus has lost his mind.)

The Titans
As a result of the Olympians fall from grace, the worship of the Titans has gained a resurgance. Cronus, Gaea, Rhea, and Uranus all have considerable influence across the cosmos.

Note: None of these Real World deities exist on Dark World.
Last edited by Knightfall on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Azaghal wrote:Outstanding work! I can`t wait to see more! :D

Thanks Azaghal! I'll be posting quite a bit about this cosmology here. I won't be duplicating the ENTIRE EN World thread here, however. I'm hoping to use this thread to flesh out the new/modified planes for the Mirrored Cosmology.

Also, feel free to ask a lot of questions. Questions help my creative process.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Azaghal » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:29 am

:cool: Great stuff! I really like the changing around of the various Deities! Could you provide links over to your EN World threads? It would help to tie everything you aren`t bringing over together.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:00 am

Azaghal wrote::cool: Great stuff! I really like the changing around of the various Deities! Could you provide links over to your EN World threads? It would help to tie everything you aren`t bringing over together.

That would be a lot of links...

For now, simply check out the first link of the thread as well as my World of Kulan social group forum...

World of Kulan

In that forum, make sure you check out the stickied "World of Kulan forum is now open!" thread. That thread has all the other Kulan-related EN World threads linked in it that aren't in the forum itself.

Cheers!

KF
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:29 am

“The Lost, the Lost…don’t lose yourself to the Lost…”
— Derrik, former adventurer, now a barmy in the Hive in Sigil

Hinter Lost
Metropolis
Other Names: The City of the Lost
Political/Religious Affiliations: The Lost (major); the churches of various dead gods (minor); and the Temporal Spellmasters (major).
Power Centers: Monstrous (various); nonstandard (elders); magical (ex-clerics); magical (arcanists).
Alignment: Chaotic neutral.

Population: 25,500
Demographics: Isolated [96% human, 2% outsiders (celestials, fiends, etc.), 1% demihumans, 1% other races].
City Type (pop. 5,001+ only): Commune.
Fortified?: No.
Epic?: Yes.

GP Limit: 150,000 gp
Assets: 191,250,000 gp
Main Import: The Lost of the Planes.
Main Export: Barmy planewalkers.

Authority Figures: The Lost is a council of the city's elders — those that have lived in the city longer than anyone can remember. They don't so much rule, as they meddle in each others affairs and the lives of the city's lost citizens.
Important Characters: Black Bart [CN genderless modron, rogue 10/fighter 10], Father Baatorian [CG male 20 HD outsider, fighter 15/sorcerer 15 (an ancient baatorian)], and the Broken Hive [N genderless 20 HD human mob, cleric 5/fighter 5/rogue 5/wizard 5 (a barmy group of humans connected through a linked mind)].
Organizations: Hinterlanders (guild), Soldiers of the Tortured Souls (mercenary company), Temporal Spellmasters (arcanists' guild), and the Cant of the Lost (thieves' guild).
Noble Houses: Arlemas, Ertis, Ilmoler, Oillip, Utule, and Yertr.
Adventurers Welcome?: Sort of.

Notes: It's really hard to get to this city, as it exists on its own demiplane beyond the vastness of the Hinterlands. Plus, one has to believe that the city exists or you can't find it.
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:34 am

Sigil
Planar Metropolis
Other Names: City of Doors, The Cage
Political/Religious Affiliations: Lord of Agony (major, enigmatic); the dabus (major); the factions (major); the church of Amaterasu (major); the church of Apollo (major); the church of Baravar (minor); the church of Boccob (major); the church of Bragga (minor); the church of Celestian (minor); the church of Corellon (major); the church of Daragor (major, in hiding); the church of Garl (major); the church of Gruumsh (major); the church of Heim (minor); the church of Hermes (minor); the church of Io (major); the church of Maglubiyet (minor); the church of Mirella (major); the church of Moradin (major); the church of Muamman (minor); the church of Pelor (minor); the church of Wotan (minor); the church of Xan Yae (minor); the Great Temple of Doors (major); the Grove of Erik (minor); the shrine of Athena (minor); the shrine of Bahamut (major); the shrine of Diancastra (minor); the shrine of Koriel (minor); the shrine of Osiris (minor); the shrine of Zeus (minor); the Spiral Cathedral (major); the temple of Modrons (major); the temple of Ptah (major); the temple of the Abyss (major); the temple of the Celts (major); the temple of the Celestial Bureaucracy (minor); the temple of the Titans (minor); the Vedic Hall (minor); and the Zen Garden of Kanishi (minor).
Power Centers: Monstrous (outsider); nonstandard (factions); magical (arcane/divine).
Alignment: Neutral.

Population: 250,000
Demographics: Integrated [37% human, 20% planetouched (aasimars, tieflings, etc.), 15% other outsiders (celestials, fiends, etc.), 10% demihumans (dwarves, elves, etc.), 10% goblinoids (bugbears, goblins, etc.), 5% cat races (kitts, rakasta, etc.), 3% other races]
City Type (pop. 5,001+ only): Unknown.
Fortified?: Not applicable.

GP Limit: 600,000 gp
Assets: 7,500,000,000 gp
Main Import: Planewakers and their goods & beliefs.
Main Export: Same.

Authority Figure: Lord of Agony [N male 20 HD outsider, fighter 20/sorcerer 20 (mysterious ruler of Sigil; not a god)].
Important Characters: A'kin [NE male 12 HD arcanaloth (owner of the magic shop known as The Friendly Fiend)]; Cuatha Da’nanin [LG male half-elf, ranger 15 (Sensate)]; Duke Rowan Darkwood [CG male human, ranger 12/cleric 14 (Heim) (factol of the Fated)]; Erin Darkflame Montgomery [LG female human, cleric 9 (Diancecht) (factol of the Society of Sensation)]; Eyebrarian [N genderless 10 HD outsider, cleric 10 (Boccob)/wizard 10 (strange leader of the Library of Boccob)]; Kylie the Tout [N female tiefling, rogue 8 (Indep) (guildmistress of the Guild of Touts)]; Grundlethum Blackdagger [LN male human, wizard 15 (Indep) (owner of Grundlethum's Automatic Scribe)]; Laril Zasskos [CN female githzerai, wizard 14 (Anarchist) (owner of the bathhouse known as The Fire Pits)]; and Shemeshka the Marauder [NE female 12 HD arcanaloth (king of the cross-trade, information broker)].
Other Characters: Marda Farambler [CG female halfling, commoner 1/expert 1 (owner of the cider shop known as The Greengage)]; Ralff [N male tiefling, rogue 8 (Signer) (a discreet tout)]; Tarras yn Beza el Xan Yae [LN male human, fighter 6/cleric 5 (Xan Yae) (Sensate)], Traban [LG male dwarf, fighter 1 (owner of Traban's Forge)], and Zegonz Vlaric [CE male githzerai, fighter 3/wizard 4 (Bleaker) (owner of the tavern known as The Styx Oarman)].
Organizations: The Factions [Athar, Believers of the Source, Bleak Cabal, Doomguard, Dustmen, Fated, Fraternity of Order, Free League, Harmonium, Mercykillers, Revolutionary League, Sign of One, Society of Sensation, Transcendent Order, Xaositects]; Guild of Touts.
Golden Lords: Alathan Windspear, Duprak Jarneesh, Estavan, Jeremo the Natterer, Olabrane, Shemeshka the Marauder (see above), Timmon d'Arlen, Wei Minh Lee, and Zadara the Titan.
Adventurers Welcome?: Yes

Notes: For more information on Sigil, see the Planescape Campaign Setting boxed set. There are many differences between my Sigil and the official one. For instance, my Sigil is ruled by the Lord of Agony, a less mysterious figure than the Lady of Pain. Plus, my Sigil is considered Epic. And there hasn't been a Faction War in my version of Sigil.
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 am

Union
Planar Metropolis
Other Names: City of the Mercane
Political/Religious Affiliations: Mercane Union Council (major); the church of Belinik (major, in hiding); the church of Boccob (major), the church of Erythnul (minor, in hiding); the church of Math Mathonwy (minor); the church of Mayela (major); the church of Mussin (minor, in hiding); and the Union Sentinels (major).
Power Centers: Conventional (council), monstrous (outsiders), nonstandard (guild).
Alignment: Lawful neutral

Population: 100,000
Demographics: Mixed [79% human, 9% mercane, 5% halfling, 3% elf, 2% dwarf, 1% gnome, 1% other races].
City Type (pop. 5,001+ only): Founded.

GP Limit: 600,000 gp
Assets: 3,000,000,000 gp
Main Import: Almost anything.
Main Export: Same.

Authority Figures: Mercane Union Council; Revenia [LN female 7 HD mercane paragon, wizard 17 (chief councilor of the Mercane Union Council)]; Dilella [LG female human, paladin 16 (supreme commander of the Union Sentinels)]; and Johiaz Towers [NG male dwarf, fighter 13 (captain commander of the Union Sentinels)]
Important Characters: Chindra [N female 6 HD janni, rogue 6 (owner of the club known as Chindra's Palace of Delights)]; Grigg [N male half-orc, rogue 13 (a Union Sentinels captain]; Hesmeth Schade [NG male human, wizard 5/expert 10 (director of the Planar Cartographic Society)]; Kharlin [LE male 10 HD efreeti, rogue 7/expert 3 (owner of the bazaar known as Kharlin's Outland Imports)]; Khymez Ta'rol [CG male 7 HD mercane, bard 7/wizard 7 (founder of the Planar Cartographic Society)]; Laslie Fedrow [NE female human, rogue 7/assassin 5 (owner of the Market Street Book Shop)]; Madwind [CN male 15 HD death slaad, wizard 10/loremaster 6]; Master Od [LN male 7 HD mercane, monk 12 (master of the Temple of the Shadestar Calm)]; Ponsas Gnerl [CE half-orc, cleric 16 (Erythnul) (a cleric residing as The Broken Blade, pretends to be a simple traveler)]; Prentice [LN male 7 HD mercane, wizard 8 (a curio dealer in the Market Quarter)]; Severin Molnar Daggerblack [NE male dwarf, fighter 8/rogue 5/assassin 5 (field house sub-guildmaster for the Garrote)]; Sfels the Gatherer [NG male gnome, wizard 11 (member of the Order of the Book)]; and Suplindh [N male 6 HD gargoyle half-fiend, sorcerer 8 (a magic broker in the Magic Quarter)].
Other Characters: Balzam [LN male dwarf, fighter 7] and Gowdle [LN female dwarf, fighter 8]; Beldwin Firval [N male halfling, rogue 17]; Creeh [NG female half-elf, rogue 8]; Gedwin [NG male human, fighter 6/expert 2 (a fish dealer located on Wizard's Way)]; Dedrig Forl [NE male gnome, commoner 5 (owner of the inn and taproom known as The Broken Blade)]; Jolin Thargas [LN female human, aristocrat 5]; Mael [CG female human, expert 9 (owner of the eatery known as Mael's Pastries and Pints)]; Octavian Fedrow [LE male human, rogue 6/assassin 4]; Oslahn Turvae [NE male human, fighter 5/rogue 5) (a regular at Chindra's Palace of Delights)]; Prentice's Thirteen [LN female 7 HD mercane, wizard 5 to wizard 7 (the thirteen daughters of Prentice)]; Romana [LG female human, ex-paladin 7]; Stephanos [CG male human, expert 6 (owner of Port in the Sky)]; Sturra Blackhoof [CG female elf, ranger 13]; and the Jade Pair -- Therel [LG male human, wizard 3] and Brin [LG male human, fighter 3].
Organizations: The Garrote (assassins' guild), the Gleaners (arcanist guild), the Godkissed (secret society), Order of the Book (arcanist guild), Order of the Shield (mercenary company), Order of the Shadestar Calm (monk brotherhood), Planar Cartographic Society (craft guild); the Regulators (secret society), and the Union Sentinels.
Noble Houses: Fedrow, Pylos, Schade, Ta'rol, and Thargas.
Adventurers Welcome?: Yes.

Notes: All of the NPCs listed for the city of Union have had their levels divided by two (rounded up), to make the city's denizens a little less Epic, overall.

Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:48 am

The Union Sentinels
I decided to stat out some Union Sentinels, for my version of Union. These are the basic guards that characters will meet. They're still fairly tough, but not Epic.

Union Sentinel Guard, Male or Female Human, Ftr7: CR 7; Medium Humanoid (extraplanar, human); HD 7d10+14; 52 hp; Init +2; Spd 30 ft. (base 40 ft.); AC 21 (+2 Dex, +5 armor, +2 shield, +2 deflection), touch 14, flat-footed 19; Base Atk +7; Grp +12; Atk +14 melee (1d8+6/19-20/x2, +1 longsword) or +11 ranged (1d8+1/x3, composite longbow w/+1 arrows); Full Atk +14/+9 melee (1d8+6/19-20/x2, +1 longsword) or +11/+6 ranged (1d8+1/x3, composite longbow w/+1 arrows); SA none; SQ human traits; AL LN; SV Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +4; Str 20 (+5), Dex 15 (+2), Con 15 (+2), Int 13 (+1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 8 (-1).

Skills and Feats: Balance +1, Climb +12, Jump +19, Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +9, Tumble +6; Alertness B, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Dodge, Mobility, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (longbow), Weapon Focus (longsword).

Languages: Common and Mercane.

Possessions: +1 longsword, amulet of health +1, boots of striding and springing, cloak of resistance +1, composite longbow w/20 +1 arrows, gauntlets of ogre power, masterwork breastplate, masterwork heavy steel shield, and ring of protection +2.

Union Sentinel Sergeant, Male or Female Human, Ftr12: CR 12; Medium Humanoid (extraplanar, human); HD 12d10+36; 102 hp; Init +1; Spd 20 ft (base 30 ft.); AC 25 (+1 Dex, +1 natural, +7 armor, +3 shield, +2 deflection), touch 13, flat-footed 24; Base Atk +12; Grp +19; Atk +23 melee (1d8+12/19-20/x2, +3 longsword) or +16 ranged (1d8+8/x3, composite longbow w/+3 arrows); Full Atk +23/+18/+13 melee (1d8+12/19-20/x2, +3 longsword) or +16/+11/+6 ranged (1d8+8/x3, composite longbow w/+3 arrows); SA none; SQ human traits; AL LN; SV Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +7; Str 24 (+7), Dex 13 (+1), Con 16 (+3), Int 13 (+1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 8 (-1).

Skills and Feats: Climb +19, Diplomacy +6, Gather Information +1, Knowledge (local) +9, Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +16; Alertness B, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Dodge, Great Cleave, Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (longsword), Weapon Specialization (longsword).

Languages: Common and Mercane.

Possessions: +3 longsword, +2 breastplate, +1 heavy steel shield, amulet of health +2, bead of force, belt of giant strength +4, cloak of resistance +2, composite longbow [+5 Str bonus] w/20 +3 arrows, ring of protection +2, vestment of natural armor +1 (like amulet), and winged boots.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

The Union Sentinels (cont.)

Postby Knightfall » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:50 am

I decided to give my version of the Union Sentinel backup team member the axiomatic template, just to make them a little more interesting. These unique, semi-retired members of the Union Sentinels have undergone a ritual to give them linked minds. They rarely get involved unless a serious threat to all of Union comes calling.

Union Sentinel Backup Team Member, Male or Female Axiomatic Human, Enforcer16: CR 18; Medium Humanoid (extraplanar, human); HD 16d10+83; 171 hp; Init +8; Spd 20 ft. (base 30 ft.); AC 29 (+4 Dex, +8 armor, +4 shield, +3 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 25; Base Atk +16; Grp +21; Atk +24 melee (1d8+7/x2, +2 heavy mace) or +21 ranged (1d8+1/19-20/x2, mw light crossbow w/+1 bolts); Full Atk +24/+19/+14/+9 melee (1d8+7/x2, +2 heavy mace) or +21 ranged (1d8+1/19-20/x2, mw light crossbow w/+1 bolts); SA divine spells, dominate person 3/week, rebuke undead 6/day, smite chaos 5/day, subdue, suggestion 3/day; SQ aura of courage, aura of law, cannot associate with chaotic characters, code of conduct, darkvision 60 ft., detect chaos, divine grace, resistance to cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10, and sonic 10, SR 21; AL LN; SV Fort +13, Ref +14, Will +15; Str 21 (+5), Dex 18 (+4), Con 20 (+5), Int 16 (+3), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 17 (+3); LA +4; ECL 20.

Skills and Feats: Concentration +16, Diplomacy +24, Gather Information +21, Knowledge (history) +14, Knowledge (local) +10, Knowledge (the planes) +10, Listen +4, Spot +4, Search +19, Sense Motive +18, Survival +2 (+4 on other planes or when following tracks); Alertness B, Blind-Fight, Improved Initiative, Leadership B, Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Toughness, Weapon Focus (heavy mace).

Enforcer Spells Prepared (cast 0/3/3/1/1; base save DC = 12 + spell level): 1st — command, cure light wounds, hold portal; 2nd — bull’s strength, hold person, zone of truth; 3rd — cure moderate wounds; 4th — mark of justice.

Languages: Common, Halfling, Elven, and Mercane.

Smite Chaos (Su): Five times per day, an Union Sentinel backup team member can make a normal attack to deal an extra 16 points of damage against a chaotic opponent. (Four of these smites are from the enforcer class, while the fifth is from the axiomatic template.)

Subdue (Ex): An Union Sentinel backup team member has learned how to efficiently inflict nonlethal damage with weapons. He or she does not suffer the standard -4 penalty to attack rolls when he/she attacks to inflict nonlethal damage with a weapon that normally deals lethal damage, as long as he/she is proficient with the weapon being used. In addition, when a team member attacks to inflict nonlethal damage with a weapon specifically designed to do nonlethal damage (such as a sap or whip), he/she gains a +2 bonus to weapon damage rolls.

Linked Minds (Ex): Union Sentinel backup team members within 300 feet of one another are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in the group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No team member in the group is considered flanked unless all of them are.

Possessions: +3 adamantine breastplate, +2 heavy steel shield, +2 heavy mace, masterwork light crossbow w/20 +1 bolts, ring of protection +3, and symbol of law.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:55 am

Balefire
Small City
Other Names: City of Lanterns
Political/Religious Affiliations: The Shadowcrafters (major).
Power Center: Nonstandard (guild).
Alignment: Neutral

Population: 5,277
Demographics: Integrated (human 40%, shadar-kai 30%, nightling 15% †, githyanki 7%, drow 4%, shadow sprite 2%, other 2%). (†) A race from Minions: Fearsome Foes by Bastion Press.
City Type: Founded.
Epic?: No.

GP Limit: 7,500 gp
Assets: 1,978,875 gp
Main Import: Foodstuffs.
Main Export: Lajandra's Lanterns and other magic.

Authority Figure: Xurothil, supreme overseer of Balefire [male shadar-kai, wizard]; Vargild Kortath, commander of the city watch [male human, fighter]; Zaleid, grand master of the Shadowcrafters [male githyanki, wizard].
Important Characters: Milluefar, Xurothil's apprentice [male drow, wizard]; Sadrinal Thillonithar, owner of Sadrinal's Fineries [female elf, rogue]; Rhinashai, head of the beacon moth breeders [female shadar-kai, ranger]; Nemeth Zorlinn, part owner of the Purple Lantern Tavern [male human, wizard]; Albara Stormhammer, part owner in the Purple Lantern Tavern [female dwarf, fighter]; Hulkurn, owner of the Emerald Kiss [male human, rogue/sorcerer]; Snurrak, famous lanterneer [male lizardfolk, fighter].
Organizations: City Watch (nuff said); Lanterneers (workers' guild); Nightshade Covenant (secret society); Obsidian Dancers (secret brotherhood); Shadowcrafters (arcanists' guild); and the Watchers (elite guardmen).
Important Families: Kortath, Shamoon, Thillonithar, and Zorlinn.
Adventurers Welcome?: Yes.

Notes: This planar city is described in Dragon Magazine #322 (pages 14-20). My version is different in that there aren't as many drow in the city and the city exists on the demiplane known as the Darklands not the Plane of Shadow of the core cosmology. The city is located near a portal that leads to the Tarterian Depths of Carceri. It is rumored that a second portal leading to the Gray Waste is hidden somewhere in the city, but no one has been able to confirm that such a portal exists.

I didn't list the alignments and class levels for the NPCs because I don't want to give away everything that is detailed in Dragon #322. For those that don't have a copy of that issue, you really should try to get one.
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Next

Return to World of Kulan