[Kanpur] Sharn on Kulan

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

[Kanpur] Sharn on Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:28 am

I figured I'd share this with all you Eberron fans. NOTE: Since I first wrote this bit of text, I have bought the Eberron Campaign Setting (v.3.5), Dragonmarked, and Secrets of Xen'drik as well as the 4e Eberron Campaign Guide. (I alread had Races of Eberron and the Sharn book, as noted below.)

I'll definitely be getting the Stormreach book, if I can find it. Stormreach will be placed on my version of the Dark Continent (based on a old DRAGON Magazine article). I'm not sure about most of the other Eberron books.

I have a feeling that Eberron and Dragonshard magic will greatly influence my development of Kanpur.

Sharn Region
I recently bought a copy of Sharn: City of Towers with the thought of adding the magical metropolis to World of Kulan. I knew right away that Sharn wasn't going to end up in the Lands of Harqual. I already have a City of Spires on Harqual (called Caloric).

I began looking for an appropriate area to put the city where it would be centrally located amongst a peer of powerful countries, empires, and city-states. I immediately remembered the Free Cities and that I hadn't found a cornstone city for that region yet. Therefore, it was easy to place Sharn on the deep, wide river that connects Mare Librum to the Iliadis Sea.

Directly north and east of Sharn are the Free Cities as well as the land known as Assylonia; south of the City of Towers are the Haunted Lands with Khemit (and the Kesh Lands) to the southwest across the Mare Librum; directly to the west across Mare Librum is the powerful city-state known as Libu while the lands of the Dragon Sands are located northwest of Sharn. Beyond that is Bluffside and lands of the Northwest.

I haven't really determined the backgrounds for each city, yet. However, I can say for certain that the city-states of Aegis are going to be my version of a fantasy Greek culture. Valenas falls into that same category; although, it might end up being more Roman than Greek. (No decisions have been built in stone.) I may pick up Green Ronin's Trojan War sourcebook as a guide, but as of yet, I haven't seriously sought the book out. EDIT: I finally bought a copy of it this month. It will be one of my go to guides for building up the Aegis region; however, since Kulan is a very magical world with countless races, my version of Mythic Greece will be more like how Green Ronin did their Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra boxed set. Sean K Reynolds' The New Argonauts sourcebook will also be helpful. -KF

Many of the Free Cities, closer to Aegis, will be influenced by Greek/Roman ideas (I also bought GR's Eternal Rome sourcebook too. -KF), yet the whole area will lean more towards Sharn in culture and magic. One could call the Free Cities of Kanpur the Dragonmarked Cities. Dragonshard magic is commonplace here. Dragonshard magic can also be found in the lands surrounding Sharn, especially to the south (Phillistia [not on this map]) and to the northwest (the Dragon Sands).

New sources for Dragonshard magic are always being hunted for, which has taken the Dragonmarked Houses as far as the Dark Continent, far to the south, and the Land of Fate, beyond the Haunted Lands.

Dragonmarked tradition is an old one, but it fell out of favor for some time after a long war (it lasted nearly a hundred years) that engulfed most of the region (and beyond). As a result, Dragonshard magic is considered taboo in many cultures and those that practice the Marked Arts often find themselves imprisoned, tortured, and killed in such lands as Khemit (where Dragonshard magic is forbidden to all except, the Merit-f, the Archpriest [and his direct subordinates], and Pharaoh [and the Royal Family]).

In Assylonia, the restrictions are nearly as strict; although, anyone with esteem is allowed to use Dragonshard magic. This never includes foreigners, however. In Aegis and Valenas, Dragonshard magic is considered to be foreign, but it isn't forbidden. The Dragonmarked may come and go as long as they register their abilities and do not interfere in political or financial matters. Mercenaries with the power of a dragonmark are highly prized as soldiers in Aegis.

As one travels north and west from Sharn, Dragonshard magic has fewer restrictions (depending on the region). While the dragori of the Dragon Sands forbid non-dregori to use Dragonshard magic in their empire, the citizenry of city-states such as Barcino and Scopula (as well as Parma [not shown on this map]) rarely restrict the Dragonmarked any more than they do other magic-users. This means that those with aberrant dragonmarks can often find refuge in such places from those that would hunt them down (i.e. the Dragonmarked Houses). Many an excoriate from one of the Dragonmarked Houses has fled to Barcino in order to begin a new life.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Sharn on my Homebrewed World

Post by Knightfall » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 pm

NOTE: I just updated this map.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Re: Sharn on my Homebrewed World

Post by Azaghal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:34 am

Thanks I remember looking at the original and not finding Sharn.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:03 am

Can a moderator please move this to the Homebrew Worlds forum.

Thanks.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Re: Sharn on Kulan

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:15 pm

Knightfall wrote:Can a moderator please move this to the Homebrew Worlds forum.

Thanks.
MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Done. However, next time, you may wish to consider using the "report post" feature on your own post. Moderators do not read every single post in every single thread looking for messages to moderators, and this message may easily have been missed for a long time. If you use the "report post" feature, it will flag up a problem with the thread.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Sharn on Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Giant Space Hamster wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Can a moderator please move this to the Homebrew Worlds forum.

Thanks.
MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Done. However, next time, you may wish to consider using the "report post" feature on your own post. Moderators do not read every single post in every single thread looking for messages to moderators, and this message may easily have been missed for a long time. If you use the "report post" feature, it will flag up a problem with the thread.
Thanks, I'll remember that.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

New Map

Post by Knightfall » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Here's a link to a new version of the Sharn Region map on deviantART...

Sharn Region

I tried using Big Mac's hack to shrink the image using "?h=600," but it didn't work. I'll post a smaller version of the map on Facebook, so I can link it here.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Details about the map

Post by Knightfall » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:00 pm

You can see that the map has evolved quite a bit since I first posted it. There is more variety to the terrain and I've added several new city-states to the region. Note that the region known as the Free Cities, as noted on the original map, is only called that be the peoples living in those city-states. Plus, how I'm handling the Dragonmarked Houses is evolving due the PbP game I'm running here on The Piazza. The houses will have altered names and I'll likely create a few homebrewed aberrant houses. :P

The primary Dragonmarked Cities are from west to east: Gadir, Kyræ, Sharn, Thaurus, Jæn, Vundara, Rolian, and Kilberis. Other city-states with a strong Dragonmarked influence (especially those with aberrant marks) include the following (west to east): Scopula, Barcino, Granite Kingdom (dwarves only), Endikarr (dragori only), Bastium, Davado, Raphia, Ålekåndrå*, Brakarr, Katholum*, Laguhl, and Yishara. *These two city-states are close to being incorporated into the Dragonmarked Cities, but they are still independent of them, so far.

North of the Coldwind Forest, the number of dragonmarked NPCs drops considerably. Bluffside (not shown on map) works hard to keep any who have any sort of dragonmark out of the city-state. The same is true for San Giorgio, Sibiu, and the other city-states and kingdoms surrounding the forest. North of Bluffside, the number of Dragonmarked NPCs increases again, but they are always outcasts or have aberrant marks.

Aberrant marks are much more prevalent on Kanpur than would be in an EBERRON campaign, and they aren't universally reviled. They are hunted in the lands of the Dragonmarked Cities and in those lands where only the elite are allowed to have such marks, like with the dragori and in the Southwest (south of this map). Dragonmarks are somewhat rarely in the lands of Aegis to the east.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: [Kanpur] Sharn on Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Sharn Adventures
Here is my list of adventures I've already set aside to be run in or around Sharn. I've only included the adventures I have access too. The adventures set aside for the Free Cities aren't specifically related to Sharn, but since those city-states stand in for the other parts of Eberron (somewhat), they will be influenced by Sharn and the Dragonmarked Houses when they are run.

"Challenge of Champions" [DUNGEON Magazine #58]
"Challenge of Champions VI" [DUNGEON Magazine #138]
"Fallen Angel" [DUNGEON Magazine #117]
"Quoth the Raven" [DUNGEON Magazine #150]

Dragonmarked Cities
A Mage's Tale [d20]
"Swords of Dragonslake" [DUNGEON Magazine #141]
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”