Frequently Asked Questions [Q&A] | Thread Index

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Frequently Asked Questions [Q&A] | Thread Index

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:21 pm

I'm not sure how I'm going to approach this thread. For now, I'm going to cross-post some of the questions and answers that I compiled on my Official Kulan Q&A Thread on EN World and then see where it goes from there. And if anyone has any burning questions about Kulan, this is where to ask those questions.

Cheers!

Knightfall

The Piazza "World of Kulan" Index
General Threads
Additional Creatures/Monsters for Kulan
Angels and Demons
Character Options
Languages
List of Classes for Kulan
Monster Compilation I
Monster Compilation II
NPC Compendium
Random Encounter Tables

Fallenlands, the
The Fallenlands [Margoth-Nal]
Monster Lists for the Fallenlands [old version]

Island Realms, the
The Island Realms (new thread)
I am Lost

Janardûn: The Psionic Lands
Janardûn Discussion Thread
Monster Lists for Janardûn [old version]

Kanpur: The Ancient Lands
Sharn on Kulan

Western Kanpur | Bluffside PbP Campaign Threads
Campaign Guide
In-Character Thread
Out-Of-Character Thread
Relgar Aspergim, Geometer-To-Be

Lands of Harqual
Lands of Harqual (new primary thread)
Cauldron on Kulan
Deity Conversion Charts
Gazetteer of Harqual
Gods of Harqual
Izmer on Kulan
Karameikos on Kulan: The Kingdom of Ahamudia!
Lands of Harqual [Maps and More]
Lands of Harqual NPC List
Merchants and Nobility [for Harqual]
Monster Lists for Harqual [First Attempt]
Monster Lists for Harqual [Second Attempt]
Organizations of Harqual
Races of Harqual
Religious Sects of Harqual
Tales of the Companions Story Hour
Thunder Rift on Kulan
Timeline for Harqual
The Year of the Return (749 N.C.)

Triadora: Land of Empires
Monster Lists for Triadora [old version]

Special Threads
FAQ | Thread Index | This one! :P
Kulan World Journal
New Logo Options
Spell Sources for Kulan
World of Kulan Introductory Thread
World of Kulan Project List [for The Piazza]
World of Kulan Resources

Cosmology Threads
Knightfall's Mirrored Cosmology
Spelljammer: The Plane of the Unseen Infinity

Polls
Which of my continents do you want more information about?
KWJ: What would you like to see on the blog?

World of Kulan Links
World of Kulan Campaign Group and Wiki on E.N. World
http://www.enworld.org/forum/group.php?groupid=23

World of Kulan Forum on E.N. World
http://www.enworld.org/forum/forumdispl ... d-of-Kulan

World of Kulan Facebook Group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111532655539826

World of Kulan Yahoo! Group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/worldofkulan/info

Kulan: DM's Eyes Only Yahoo! Group [Membership Only by Invitation]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/worldofkulan2/info
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:47 am, edited 27 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: [Kulan] Frequently Asked Questions [Q&A]

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Questions from EN World "Lands of Harqual" thread...
the Jester wrote:Originally posted on the World of Kulan Yahoo Group
Hey, I took a look at your rough diagram of your cosmology and had a question or two...

First of all, is the plane of twilight the same (or roughly the same) as the plane of shadows?

Does it also replace the astral plane?
The Plane of Twilight is like combining the Plane of Shadows and the Astral Plane. I haven't worked out all the logistics yet but basically you have to cross into the Plane of Twilight before being able to cross into the Upper or Lower Planes.

It is my main Transitive Plane connecting to the Ethereal, the Elemental Planes, and the Upper and Lower Planes, but not directly to the Prime Material Plane. In order to get to the Plane of Twilight you have to pass first through the Ethereal to the Deep Ethereal or to one of the Elemental Planes. Then you make the journey to the Plane of Twilight. (No silver cords when traveling through the Plane of Twilight.)

Anyway, The Plane of Twilight is halfway between Astral and Shadow in look and feel - not horribly dark and gloomy yet not highly radiant either. Of course, the closer you are to the Upper Planes the brighter and more wide open it is and the closer to the lower planes the gloomer and closed off it is.

Spells that would require the Astral Plane or Plane of Shadow work through the Plane of Twilight. However, these spells, in reality, pass through the ethereal. Thus,shadow walk doesn't take you all the way to the Plane of Twilight but basically functions the same way. Astral and Shadow spells only ever take you as far as the Deep Ethereal unless your goal is to travel to that plane (i.e. astral projection) and beyond.

Hmm... some of these spells might need to go up a level in my campaign. Either that or I might need to create Greater version of certain spells (i.e. shadow walk, greater). I have things to think about... hmm.

In my cosmology, the Githyanki are native to the Plane of Twilight as are all astral and shadow-based creatures (i.e. astral dreadnaught, shadow mastiff, etc.)
the Jester wrote:Originally posted on the World of Kulan Yahoo Group
Do you use the energy planes?
Nope. Postive and Negative power and creatures comes from the Plane of Twilight as well. Positive towards the Upper Planes and Negative towards the Lower Planes. This fact makes it hard to travel to the Outer Planes by almost any means. You have to be well prepared to survive either way.

Once on the Outer Planes it functions as a slight modified Great Wheel, as per the Planescape cosmology. Permanent gates and portals to the Outer Planes from Kulan are very rare and very well and heavily guarded. Gates and portals to the Elemental Planes are more common.

Note that while the Elemental Planes are not touching in the diagram, I am planning on updating it to include the Quasi and Para-Elemental Planes in my cosmology.

Also, my cosmology uses the following alternate planes and demiplanes from D&D Manual of the Planes: Region of Dreams, The Plane of Mirrors (expanded), Spirit World, Temporal Energy Plane (called the Temperal Prime, IMC), Plane of Faerie, Far Realm, The Obseratorium, Common Ground, plus a new demiplane I call the Plane of Serenity (a fey plane that broke off from Faerie).

Also, see the link below for how I'm working Spelljammer into my cosmology.

Knightfall's Spelljammer Cosmonomicon
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 pm

the Jester wrote:Hmm, must've missed Mor's End. Details?
Mor's End was the EN World City Project that went on in the Rogues Gallery forum for many months. It sort of died after the initial push to create the city including government, guilds, locales, military, NPCs, etc.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/3081230-post165.html
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:27 pm

el-remmen wrote:Have you considered setting up a wiki for all of this?

There are a few different free ones available now. (see sig)
Do you mean Mor's End, specifically, or the World of Kulan, over all? If you mean the latter then see here.
el-remmen wrote:Kulan.

And cool. I will have to spend some time with that when I get a chance. :-)
The Wiki is in its beginning stages, but i try to add more to it when I can. Most of my Kulan stuff gets posted here, on EN World, or at my World of Kulan Yahoo Group, before it goes onto the Wiki.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 pm

the Jester wrote:Good stuff, as always, KF!

A question for you- I seem to recall, early in the 3e era, a comment by a designer that demigods should give access to two domains, lesser gods to three, intermediate to four and greater to five. Now, I don't think any books really follow this- and I don't recall where I saw this (maybe Deities & Demigods?). Does this rule/guideline ring a bell? (Obviously, you're not following it- I'm just trying to figure out if I am hallucinating this, or if it's actually something I did hear or read somewhere...)
I seem to remember a rule like that from somewhere, but you're right, I don't follow that rule. For Kulan, most lesser and demigods have around four domains, and then it goes up from there (Intermediate: 5; Greater: 6+). However, there isn't a set number of domains for Kulan deities.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Questions from EN World "World of Kulan Maps" thread....
Clay_More wrote:Is Kulan a sort of online Campaign Setting, seems that more than just Knightfall knows about it?
Kulan isn't an online campaign setting beyond the fact that I am a prolific world designer who likes to share his creation with others. I do know of one guy, blackshirt5, who really liked the world premise I posted on page three (and 4) of the Homebrew Worlds- What is in YOUR World? thread.
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Wisdom Penalty wrote:this is a great thread, knightfall. i especially love the most recent (world) map - though im not sure if one of your other uploads already had it. i was wondering if you have a web site with all the maps? also, i cant read the scale (at least on the world map) - could you tell me what it is? i have thought of dropping valus into eberron but i think id have to change the scale, and also am not sure if the climate would mesh. have you given any thought to those issues? thanks!
I did have another upload of this map {broken link}, but I changed that one to be without regional names. I don't have my maps on my website, but I do have them on my World of Kulan Yahoo Group. However, the maps there, in the photos section, are smaller as I want to save space in the files section for campaign material.

The scale on the World of Kulan map goes up by 250 miles for each increment. Thus the total miles on the scale bar is 2000 miles. Thus, World of Kulan's circumference is "roughly" 22,000 miles. (I didn't measure exactly so, I can't say for certain the "exact" circumference.) This means, Kulan is slightly smaller than Earth (24,902 mi.), but I'm not sure by how much.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Questions from old EN World "CC2 Cartography" thread....
This one was more of a comment but it turned out to be very important.
Conaill wrote:Hi Knightfall! Very nice maps, but I do have one major nit to pick...

The arrangement of rivers and inland lakes seems *very* unrealistic to me. Let's look at the rivers first: A typical river watershed consists of several smaller streams joining together (typically coming from mountainous regions) into a larger river, and then flowing into the sea. Only very rarely do you see a river split into two (typically in a delta near the river mouth), or even forming a loop. A real river will almost always carve out one of the two branches deeper than the other, and then just follow the path of least resistance.

Your rivers are almost exactly the opposite: they tend to start relatively wide, split into several smaller streams and then flow to the sea. In fact, several of your maps would look a lot more realistic if you were to reverse the direction of flow in the rivers!
You know, for some reason I keep drawing my rivers this way even though I KNOW it's supposed to be the other way around. I'm not sure why I do it.

Thanks for the heads up. I've just gone through, reversed the flow of the main rivers, deleted others and tried to be consistant.

However, in some places, where rivers become tributaries off a main river then end before a coastline, they become less wide. A lot of those rivers disappear underground or simply form small lakes.
Conaill wrote:Lakes: you have an amazing multitude of very large lakes on your maps. Several of which are so close to the ocean they would probably have emptied out into it by erosion over the course of the millenia. For example, your "Harqual Continent Overview" map on this page has a large elongated lake in the top middle, almost hugging the coast over most of its length, with no exits to the ocean. You could only get a feature like that if there was a ring of mountains all along the lake borders, isolating it from the ocean. Likewise with the large lake on the island in the top left of the map.

Look at an atlas of our own world: how many actual lakes can you see on a continental map? The North American Great Lakes are definitely an exception to the norm. If Harqual is about the same size of North America, you just placed about 10-20 Great Lakes on the same surface area!

Also, a large lake typically forms in a fairly flat landscape, exceptions notwithstanding. However, the shape of your continents seems to indicate a very rocky geography. Compare the outlines of Harqual and Janardun with those of continents on earth for example: yours almost look like partially submerged mountain ridges. And mountain lakes tend to be much smaller...
The large lakes are intentional. And yes I know some of them hug the coastline but Harqual is as you stated a rugged environment, especially in the north. However, the far north has high hills instead of mountains and in a lot places, those lakes are surrounded by hills. (Not shown on map due to wanting to keep redraw in CC2 quicker.)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Eridanis wrote:Knightfall - I'm just curious as to why all your rivers seem to be backwards, in the sense that they seem to start out as a single stream in the mountains, and then break apart into smaller rivers until they reach the sea? (Normally, streams combine into small rivers, which combine into big rivers, then flow into the sea.) Is there a magical force that causes them to act so? Or does water flow from the ocean, up into the mountains, to disappear into the realms below? Just curious.
Conaill wrote:Yeah, I bitched about that on page 2 as well. ;) Apparently, the local God of Rivers died. (No, seriously! :D)
Eridanis wrote:That's cool. Serves me right for skimming page 2, instead of reading through it (my browser wasn't taking kindly to loading all the images).

Great work, BTW!
And it's a good thing you did or my other continents would be the same way. I'm going through and fixing each of them.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:55 am

Questions from my World of Kulan Thread here on The Piazza....
Havard wrote:And did I read that Blackmoor was among your sources of inspiration? 8-)
Yes, I've used the 3.5 version of Blackmoor as inspiration as well as Mystara, Planescape, Spelljammer, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and Dark Sun.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:56 am

Azaghal wrote:Another warm welcome to The Piazza Knightfall! You mentioned Spelljammer as inspiration, have you by chance built your campaign setting into a sphere?
Okay, the answer to that question is a little complicated. While Spelljammer is a inspiration, Kulan doesn't exist in the traditional Spelljammer universe.

I think the easiest way for you to get the gist of what I mean is for you to take a look at this link...

Knightfall's Spelljammer Cosmonomicon

The "Core Cosmology" is my interpretation of the traditional Spelljammer universe. The "Plane of the Unseen Infinity" is the "reality" that Kulan exists in. I have begun the process of detailing Kulan's star system (called Kulanspace), but I haven't gotten real deep into it.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:57 am

Havard wrote:
Knightfall wrote:

Lands of Harqual

Introduction
The Lands of Harqual are full of conflict. For generations, the diverse races of the continent have been either fighting amongst themselves or battling the constant threat of humanoid invasion. Ogres, orcs, gnolls, and other evil humanoids roam the wild tracts of land between dozens of countries and city-states of the humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and the rakasta. Twice have the ogres led the humanoid invasions, which became known as the Ogre Wars.
I just realized this world has Rakasta. It doesnt get much better than that! :)

Am I right in thinking that Harqual is the suggested starting point for most campaigns?

Havard
I've incorporated many of the Mystaran races/creatures into Kulan. (The rakasta, lupins, tortles, nagpas, koprus, phanatons, the aranea, hutaakans, knas, the actaeon, etc.) In truth, almost any of the creatures found in the 2nd Edition Mystara Monstrous Compendium are appropriate for the World of Kulan. However, each continent has a smattering of those creatures, not all of them. For example, the rakasta can be found almost anywhere, but nagpas are unique to The Fallenlands.

And you're right, Harqual is the logical starting point for a Kulan campaign. I've never started a campaign anywhere else on the world. However, the western regions on the continent of Kanpur would be a good second choice if you want a campaign set in a more urban-dominated environment. Kanpur has been the heart of several ancient civilizations. The western regions is a melding of various d20 system sourcebooks including Streets of Silver, GG's Necropolis, Rituals & Relics: Excalibur, Rituals & Relics: Olympus as well as an old DRAGON Magazine article that details The Dark Continent.

The eastern lands of the continent are influenced by Kara-Tar, The Horde, Al-Qadim, and anything else I've been able to find about asian, persian, and east indian cultures.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:58 am

Chimpman wrote:EDIT: Also, what is the Transformation that you keep mentioning? Did you describe this earlier and I just missed it (sorry if that is the case)?
The Transformation was a magical event that occurred in The Year of the Return (749 N.C.).

"From the 4th to the 9th of Thorn, a strange magical fog engulfs Harqual from the Isles of Ice beyond the frozen lands of the Northlands all the way to the Isle of Ghosts beyond the Far South. It is a time of fear and strange occurrences, which alters Harqual in unbelievable ways. Entire tracks of land either disappear into the sea or are transformed. In the region south of the Sword Imperium a new range of mountains appear out of the fog. In other places, new city-states and ruins appear across the land, some benign some not. The event becomes known as The Transformation."

There is more detail about this magical event in the EN World thread.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Index of Adventures and Locales (w/sources)

Post by Knightfall » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:37 am

This felt the right place to post this. Below is a list of locales and adventure sites that DEFINITELY exist on Kulan. I will be adding to it as flashes of insight come to me.

Anywhere
Redhurst: Academy of Magic [d20]

The Fallenlands
Cynidicea [Cyrad] | B4 "The Lost City" (completed, another run through possible)
"Diplomacy" [DUNGEON Magazine #144]
I3-5 "Desert of Desolation" (will be heavily modified)
"Masque of Dreams" [DUNGEON Magazine #142] [Cyrad]
"The Year of Priest's Defiance" [DUNGEON Magazine #35]

Lands of Harqual
"Academy of Secrets" [City of Korvosa]
"A Way With Words" [DUNGEON Magazine #41] [Thunder Rift]
"A Wizard's Fate" [DUNGEON Magazine #37]
B5 "Horror on the Hill" [Kingdom of Ahamudia]
B6 "The Veiled Society" [Kingdom of Ahamudia]
B10 "Night's Dark Terror" [Kingdom of Ahamudia]
Backdrop: Sasserine [DUNGEON Magazine #139] [Sasserine]
"Bad Light" [Free D&D 3E PDF]
"Beyond the Towers" [d20]
"Beyond the Veil" [d20] [Eversinki Suzerainty]
"Black Ice Well" [d20] [The Northlands]
"Box of Flumph" [DUNGEON Magazine #118] [Tullelands]
"The Burning Plague" [Free D&D 3E PDF] [Dominion of Cauldron] (completed)
C1 "The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan" [Thenin Peninsula]
C2 "The Ghost Tower of Inverness"
Cauldron City (see below)
"Chains of Blackmaw" [DUNGEON Magazine #135]
City State of the Invincible Overlord [d20] [Rhamsandron]
City-State of Tyr
City of Splendors boxed set [2E] | "The Blue Alley" | City of Splendors: Waterdeep [3E] [Deepwater]
College of Wizardry [Mathghamhna]
"The Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl" [Free D&D 3E PDF] (completed)
"Damodar's Refuge" [Kingdom of Izmer] (will be made a lot tougher with an updated background)
DCC #5 "Aerie of the Crow God" [d20] [The Strandlands] (in progress)
DCC #10 "The Sunless Garden" [d20]
DCC #16 "Curse of the Emerald Cobra" [d20]
D&D: The Movie [Antius | Izmer | Pretensa | Verdalf]
Delzomen's Iceforge [D&D Frostburn (pp. 167-177)]
"Drakthar's Way" [Shackled City Adventure Path Hardcover (pp. 77-93)]
Duchy of Mulcrow [Minar] | "Rudwilla's Stew" [DUNGEON Magazine #45] (completed)
Eversink [Kevin Kulp's Defenders of Daybreak] [Eversinki]
"Fiend's Embrace" [DUNGEON Magazine #121] [Horrid Marsh]
"Green Lady's Sorrow" [DUNGEON Magazine #35]
"Hail the Heroes" [Ahamudia | Bitran | Hutaalar]
"Hall of the Rainbow Mage" [d20] [Duchy of Minar]
"Hellgate Keep"
"Hellstone Deep" [d20]
"House of Cards" [DUNGEON Magazine #19] [Eversinki Suzerainty]
"Huddle Farm" [DUNGEON Magazine #12] [The Qualitian Belt]
"In the Belly of the Beast" [d20] [Eversinki Suzerainty]
"Juggernaut" [DUNGEON Magazine #27]
Kaaluntor (from L&L Seafarer's Handbook) [d20]
Karameikos boxed set [Kingdom of Ahamudia] | "Trouble in Threshold" and "The Sound of Madness"
"Kill Bargle" [DUNGEON Magazine #150] [Kingdom of Ahamudia]
Korvosa (Guide to Korvosa) [d20]
"Lost Temple of Demogorgon" [DUNGEON Magazine #120] [Thunder Rift]
"The Matchmakers" [DUNGEON Magazine #7] [Eversinki Suzerainty]
Magnimar, City of Monuments [PFRPG]
"The Menacing Malady" [DUNGEON Magazine #58] [Monarchy of Avion]
Mor's End [Anoria | Kul Moren]
"NeMoren's Vault" [d20]
"Of Nests and Nations" [DUNGEON Magazine #13] [Kingdom of Ahamudia]
"Prism Keep" [DUNGEON Magazine #45] [County of Mistria] (incomplete, can be rerun)
"Ransom" [DUNGEON Magazine #42] [Kingdom of Ahamudia]
"Requiem of the Shadow Serpent" [DUNGEON Magazine #139] [Chara Coast]
"Savrille's Crypt" [Return to the Crypt of Savrille] [Kingdom of Izmer] (will be made a lot tougher with an updated background)
"The School of Nekros" [DUNGEON Magazine #27]
"Secrets of the Towers" [DUNGEON Magazine #10]
"Servant of Decay" [Free DUNGEON Magazine PDF] [Kingdom of Izmer]
"Shades of Gray" [d20]
"The Silver Key" [Liran | Black Kingdom] (must reacquire adventure)
"The Stink" [DUNGEON Magazine #105] [Dominion of Cauldron]
"The Styes" [DUNGEON Magazine #121] [Mor's End]
T1-4 "Temple of Elemental Evil" [somewhere on the Ragik Peninsula]
"Tammeraut's Fate" [DUNGEON #106 (pp. 19-50)]
"Tarfil's Tomb" [DUNGEON Magazine #27] [Kingdom of Ahamudia]
"Tears for Twilight Hollow" [DUNGEON Magazine #90 (pp. 63-110)]
Thunder Rift (must reacquire sourcebook)
Undermountain [Bergunter Masse] | "The Ruins of Undermountain" & "Expedition to Undermountain"
"The Unkindness of Ravens" [DUNGEON Magazine #65] [Duchy of Minar]
"Urban Decay" [DUNGEON Magazine #138] [Kingdom of Izmer]
"Voyage of the Crimpshrine" [Kingdom of Ahamudia] [DUNGEON Magazine #59]
"War of the Wielded" [DUNGEON Magazine #149] [Sasserine]
WG4 "The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun" [somewhere in The Far South]
"The Wooden Mouse" [DUNGEON Magazine #11] [Thunder Rift]
X2 "Castle Amber" [Principality of Ambra]
X12 "Skarda's Mirror" [Kingdom of Ahamudia]

Adventure Paths or Series
DD Series Adventure Trilogy
DD1 "Barrow of the Forgotten Kings"
DD2 "The Sinister Spire"
DD3 "Fortress of the Yuan-ti"

Savage Tide Adventure Path [DUNGEON Magazine]
"There is No Honor" [DUNGEON Magazine #139]
"The Bullywug Gambit" [DUNGEON Magazine #140]
"The Sea Wyvern's Wake" [DUNGEON Magazine #141] (starts in the Lands of Harqual)

Shackled City Adventure Path [DUNGEON Magazine | Hardcover] (completed all but the last adventure)
Adventures will be added.

City of Shadows Campaign Arc (drow NPCs will be expunged/replaced)
Istivin: City of Shadows [Nikel]
Part 1: "Touch of the Abyss" [DUNGEON Magazine #117]
Part 2: "Shadows of the Abyss" [DUNGEON Magazine #118]
Part 3: "Wrath of the Abyss" [DUNGEON Magazine #119]

"Beyond All Reason" [d20]
"Beyond the Glittering Veil" [DUNGEON Magazine #31]
"Death of Lashimire" [DUNGEON Magazine #116]
"Encounter in the Wildwood" [DUNGEON Magazine #19]
"The Lost Tomb of Kruk-Ma-Kali" (maybe)
"Master of Puppets" [DUNGEON Magazine #14]
Nentir Vale [4E]
"Of Sound Mind" [d20]
"Orange and Black" [DUNGEON Magazine #66]
"The Serpent's Tooth" [DUNGEON Magazine #19]
"Sun & Scale: The Gryphon's Legacy" [d20]
"Threshold of Evil" [DUNGEON Magazine #10]
"The Well of Lord Barcus" [DUNGEON Magazine #41]
"The Winding Way" [DUNGEON Magazine #117]

WESTERN LANDS
The Far North
Bard's Gate [d20]
"The Baron's Eyrie" [DUNGEON Magazine #58] [Domain of Hawkmoon]
"The Beasts of Aulbesmil" [DUNGEON Magazine #131]
"The Bonegarden" [d20] [Domain of Hawkmoon]
Elsir Vale | "Red Hand of Doom"
"Escape from Meenlock Prison" [DUNGEON Magazine #146]
"The Fire Giant's Daughter" [DUNGEON Magazine #39] [Hjemland]
"The Ghosts of Mistmoor" [DUNGEON Magazine #35]
"The Giant's Skull" [d20] [near Bard's Gate]
Halea's Reach | "The Jackal's Redemption" [DUNGEON Magazine #95] [near Bard's Gate]
Hawkmoon, City-state of | "A Lamentation of Thieves" [d20] (must acquire adventure)
I6 "Ravenloft" and I10 "Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill" [Nilvah]
"Mad God's Key" [DUNGEON Magazine #114] [Bard's Gate]
"Raiders of the Black Ice" [DUNGEON Magazine #115] [Bard's Gate]
"Secrets of the Arch Wood" [DUNGEON Magazine #121] [near Bard's Gate]
"To Bite the Moon" [DUNGEON Magazine #48]
Torassia | "Tsar Rising" [d20] | "The Dancing Hut" [d20]

The Northwest
"The Automatic Hound" [DUNGEON Magazine #148]
Bluffside: City on the Edge | "Interludes: Brief Expeditions to Bluffside" [d20]
"Clash of the Kingslayers" (S1) [d20] [Granite Kingdom]
"Deception Pass" [DUNGEON Magazine #23] [Stoneheim Mountains]
"Deadly Treasure" [DUNGEON Magazine #41]
Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands [d20]
Falia | Twin Crowns: Age of Exploration Fantasy [d20]
"Funeral Procession" [DUNGEON Magazine #135] [Saltmarsh]
"Going Once ... Going Twice" [DUNGEON Magazine #13] [Bluffside]
Khun-drukar | "Bright Mountain King" {DUNGEON Magazine #142} [Sundered Mountains (between Bluffside and Granite Kingdom)]
LB1 "Tower of the Last Baron" [d20]
LB2 "Treasure of Chimera Cove" [d20]
"The Lady of the Mists" [DUNGEON Magazine #42]
"Legerdemain" [DUNGEON Magazine #39] [City of Parma]
"Last of the Iron House" [DUNGEON Magazine #39]
"The Mother's Curse" [DUNGEON Magazine #59] [between Novarum and Talangrán]
"Nightshade" [DUNGEON Magazine #7] [Scopula]
Novarum | Twin Crowns: Age of Exploration Fantasy [d20] and Streets of Silver [d20]
"Old Man Katan and the Mushroom Band" [DUNGEON Magazine #41]
"Pandora's Apprentice" [DUNGEON Magazine #38] [Bluffside]
S1 "Tomb of Horrors" [somewhere near Bluffside]
S2 "White Plume Mountain"
Saltmarsh | Dungeon Master's Guide II [Chapter 4]
The Sojourner's Diary: Scopula [ETHOS Magazine #3] [d20]
Stoneheim | Twin Crowns: Age of Exploration Fantasy [d20] [Stoneheim Mountains]
Talangrán | "The Lady Rose" [DUNGEON Magazine #34]
"Things That Go Bump In The Night" [DUNGEON Magazine #38]
"Tomb of Aknar Ratalla" [DUNGEON Magazine #119] [Coldwind Forest]
"Unhallowed Halls" [d20]
W3 "Flight of the Red Raven" [d20] [Red Mountains]

Maure Castle [Talangrán]
"Maure Castle: The Greater Halls" [DUNGEON Magazine #139]

The Southwest
"Chamber of Antiquities" [DUNGEON Magazine #124] [near Hollowfaust]
Hollowfaust: City of Necromancers [d20]
"Khamsa's Folly" [DUNGEON Magazine #40] [Khemit]
Khemit | Gary Gygax's Necropolis w/ the Hamunaptra boxed set [d20]
"The Last Dance" [d20]
"The Obsidian Eye" [DUNGEON Magazine #120] [near The Cicatrix]
W2 "River of Darkness" [d20] [Kungya]

Dark Continent
City of Stormreach
Corsair Domains [Corsairs of the Great Sea]
Dark Continent [inspired by the Dragon Magazine article of the same name]
"The Forsaken Arch" [DUNGEON Magazine #120] [Thundras]
Shelzar: City of Sin [d20]
"Temple of the Scorpion God" [DUNGEON Magazine #124]

KANPUR INTERIOR
The Horse Lands
"Dragon Mountain" (Boxed Set) [Kinhelm Mountains]
Highthrone: City Above the Clouds [d20]
"The Muster of Morach Tor" [DUNGEON Magazine #144]
Stonebridge: City of Illusion [d20] [Kinhelm Mountains]
"The Ulrich Monastery" [DUNGEON Magazine #39] [Kinhelm Mountains]
"Unfamiliar Ground" [DUNGEON Magazine #119]

The Center Lands
"The Aundairian Job" [DUNGEON Magazine #147] [Ålekåndrå]
"Challenge of Champions" [DUNGEON Magazine #58] [Sharn]
"Challenge of Champions VI" [DUNGEON Magazine #138] [Sharn]
Eternal Rome [d20]
"Fallen Angel" [DUNGEON Magazine #117] [Sharn]
"Hermes' Bridge" [DUNGEON Magazine #32]
"Melody" [DUNGEON Magazine #48]
"Pandemonium in the Veins" [DUNGEON Magazine #96]
"Quoth the Raven" [DUNGEON Magazine #150] [Sharn]
"Salvage Operation" [DUNGEON Magazine #123]
Sharn: City of Towers
"Song of the Fens" [DUNGEON Magazine #40]
"Steel Shadows" [DUNGEON Magazine #115] [Sharn]
Talantier | "Swords of Dragonslake" [DUNGEON Magazine #141] [Dragonmarked Cities]
Trojan War [d20]
Vundara | A Mage's Tale [d20] [Dragonmarked Cities]
W1 "Conquest of Bloodsworn Vale" [d20] [Dragonmarked Cities]

Rappan Athuk: The Dungeon of Graves
R1 "The Upper Levels" [d20]
R2 "The Middle Levels" [d20]
R3 "The Lower Levels" [d20]

The Haunted Lands
Al-Maghrebia | Endless Sands: Arabian Adventures [d20]
Mithril: City of the Golem [d20]
"The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb" [DUNGEON Magazine #138]
"The Pyramid of Jenkel" [DUNGEON Magazine #23]
"Serpents of the Sand" [DUNGEON Magazine #37]

Seeds of Sehan Campaign Arc
Exag: City of Clay [Gaae] [DUNGEON Magazine #145]
"Part 1: Vile Addiction" [DUNGEON Magazine #145]
"Part 2: Spawn of Sehan" [DUNGEON Magazine #146]
"Part 3: Dread Pagoda of the Inscrutable Ones" [DUNGEON Magazine #147]

The Lands of Fate
"The Last Oasis" [DUNGEON Magazine #51]
"Telar in Norbia" [DUNGEON Magazine #31]
Zakhara [Land of Fate | City of Delights | Ruined Kingdoms (heavily modified)]

The Crowded Sea
"The Sunken Shadow" [DUNGEON Magazine #66]

EASTERN LANDS
(Will be inspired heavily by the Kara-Tur boxed set)
"The Artisan's Tomb" [DUNGEON Magazine #10]
"Bride for a Fox" [DUNGEON Magazine #27]
"Crocodile Tears" [DUNGEON Magazine #18]
Dhucharg: City of Conquerors [Distant Shores] [PFRPG]
Mindshadows [d20]
"Samurai Steel" [DUNGEON Magazine #7]
Ular Kel: The Caravan City [Distant Shores] [PFRPG]

"The Distraction" [DUNGEON Magazine #145]
"The Hateful Legacy" [DUNGEON Magazine #131] [Csipros Erd]
"Palace of the Twisted King" [DUNGEON Magazine #116]

Island Realms
Stormhaven: City of a Thousand Seas [d20]

Gwyrdhyn
(Will be based on Relics & Rituals: Excalibur [d20])
"Axandar: A Distant Echo" [d20]
"The White Boar of Kilfay" [DUNGEON Magazine #37]

The Islands of the Frozen North
Icerazer: The Iceberg City [D&D Frostburn (pp. 177-198)]

Merria
(Will be loosely based on the world of the "Pirates of Darkwater" cartoon)
Aelyosos: City of Tides [Distant Shores] [PFRPG]
"The Jingling Mordo Circus" [DUNGEON Magazine #7]
"Nbod's Room" [DUNGEON Magazine #51]
"Stranded on the Baron's Island" [DUNGEON Magazine #14]

Ryaith
(Will contain influences from the AD&D 2E Elves of Evermeet sourcebook)
"The Amarantha Agenda" [DUNGEON Magazine #123]
B7 "Rahasia"
"The Fall of Graymalkin Academy" [DUNGEON Magazine #140]
"The Silver Summoning" [d20]

Valossa, Isles of
"A Dreadful Dawn" [d20]
"Enigma of the Arcanexus" w/ Gateway PDF [d20]
"Escape from Ceranir" [d20]
"Fear the Shadows" [d20]
Freeport: City of Adventure | Pirate's Guide to Freeport (plus ALL d20 Freeport books)
Ghostwalk Campaign Option [Manifest]
"Heart of Hellfire Mountain" [DUNGEON Magazine #140]
"The Lost Shrine of Bundushatur"
"Old Sea-Dog" [DUNGEON Magazine #23] [Freeport]
"Peril in Freeport" [PFRPG]
Skraag: City Of Orcs [d20]
"Temple of the Death Goddess" [d20]
"Twisted Night" [DUNGEON Magazine #149] [Hikir]
"Vlindarian's Vault" [DUNGEON Magazine #141] [Gateway]
"The Weavers" [DUNGEON Magazine #138]

Valus, Isles of
(Valus: A Fantasy Role-Playing World Sourcebook [d20, heavily modified])
"A Local Legend" [DUNGEON Magazine #31]
"The Beasts of Aulbesmil" [DUNGEON Magazine #131] [Town of Aulbesmil]
"The Fountain of Health" [DUNGEON Magazine #39]

Vol Isles
"Demon God's Fane" [d20]
Radripal: City of Arches [Distant Shores] [PFRPG]

Wakuna Islands
Farshore: City of Hope [DUNGEON Magazine #143]
Scuttlecove: City of Chaos [DUNGEON Magazine #146]
"Secrets of the Ancients" [d20]
"Torrents of Dread" [DUNGEON Magazine #115] [Isle of Dread]
X1 "Isle of Dread" (completed, but is open for any new group as part of the Savage Tide Adventure Path)
WG6 "Isle of the Ape"

"The Sea Wyvern's Wake" [DUNGEON Magazine #141] (ends on the Isle of Dread)
"Here There Be Monsters" [DUNGEON Magazine #142]
"Tides of Dread" [DUNGEON Magazine #143]
"The Lightless Depths" [DUNGEON Magazine #144]
"City of Broken Idols" [DUNGEON Magazine #145]
"Serpents of Scuttlecove" [DUNGEON Magazine #146] (the remainder of the Adventure Path moves to the outer planes after this adventure)

Kulanspace
Anuli: City of New Beginnings [Distant Shores] [PFRPG] [V'sal]
"Mammoth Problems" [DUNGEON Magazine #41]
"Mask of Diamond Tears" [DUNGEON Magazine #143]
"Riding the Rails" [DUNGEON Magazine #143] [Еvропа (Zu's moon)]
Segada: The City of Keys [Distant Shores] [PFRPG] [V'sal]
"Throne of Iuz" [DUNGEON Magazine #118] [V'sal] (will be heavily modified)
"The Tide of Years" [d20]

Rock of Bral
Adventures will be added.

Mirrored Cosmology
"Archipelagos: The War of Shadows" [d20]
"Quicksilver Hourglass" [DUNGEON Magazine #123]

"Into the Maw" [DUNGEON Magazine #147]
"Wells of Darkness" [DUNGEON Magazine #148]
"Enemies of My Enemy" [DUNGEON Magazine #149]
"Prince of Demons" [DUNGEON Magazine #150]
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 am, edited 34 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: [Kulan] Frequently Asked Questions [Q&A] | Thread Index

Post by Knightfall » Tue May 24, 2011 8:58 pm

I just added the following thread in the Mystara forum...

Karameikos on Kulan: The Kingdom of Ahamudia!

Enjoy. :)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Frequently Asked Questions [Q&A] | Thread Index

Post by Knightfall » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:07 pm

Now that I have a forum dedicated to Kulan, I'm going to tag threads based on which continent (or region) each one is associated. So, if it a thread is specific to the Lands of Harqual, it will be tagged [Harqual] unless the title has the continent's name in it already.

BTW, is there any way for me to sticky this thread?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Also, expect for all of the content from EN World to move over here, eventually. :twisted:
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Knightfall wrote:BTW, is there any way for me to sticky this thread?
You have to first be given moderator status over your sub-forum. Once you have it you can edit the original post in the thread and you will be given a list of options:
  • Disable BBCode
  • Disable smilies
  • Do not automatically parse URLs
  • Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)
  • Notify me when a reply is posted
  • Lock topic
  • Lock post [Prevent editing]
  • Change topic type to: [ ] Normal [ ] Sticky

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:16 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Knightfall wrote:BTW, is there any way for me to sticky this thread?
You have to first be given moderator status over your sub-forum. Once you have it you can edit the original post in the thread and you will be given a list of options:
  • Disable BBCode
  • Disable smilies
  • Do not automatically parse URLs
  • Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)
  • Notify me when a reply is posted
  • Lock topic
  • Lock post [Prevent editing]
  • Change topic type to: [ ] Normal [ ] Sticky
Ah, good to know. Thanks for the head's up.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:26 am

Knightfall wrote:Ah, good to know. Thanks for the head's up.
No prob KF. Glad to help. :)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:45 am

Knightfall wrote
Mestarijää, “Master of Ice” (Ice Giant/Immortal Template/Fiendish Template)
Where is the Immortal template from?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:51 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Knightfall wrote
Mestarijää, “Master of Ice” (Ice Giant/Immortal Template/Fiendish Template)
Where is the Immortal template from?
It is from Silverthorne Games' Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition 3.5. (Link)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:51 pm

Knightfall, I wonder if I can make a request.

Sometimes I wonder about Kulan resources....would it be possible for you to start a thread that lists the resources you have drawn from for Kulan and hyperlinks to where product can be bought?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Knightfall, I wonder if I can make a request.

Sometimes I wonder about Kulan resources....would it be possible for you to start a thread that lists the resources you have drawn from for Kulan and hyperlinks to where product can be bought?
Hmm, that's something to consider. When (or if) I do that, I'll post it in this thread. It might be a tough list for me to compile. There are resources that I use that aren't truly online. Document files from other gamers based on their own homebrews and other things like that. Or do you care about stuff that isn't published?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:34 pm

Mostly the published stuff.

Return to “World of Kulan”