The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Kanpur: The Ancient Lands

Post by Knightfall » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Kanpur: The Ancient Lands

Introduction
The continent of Kanpur is really two major landmasses, so close together they could be one. And in ancient times, they were. Kanpur is the cradle of ancient civilizations, a complete contrast to Harqual. Where that continent is in its infancy of true civilization, Kanpur is the old hat of civilization. Yes, it still has its trackless wastes, desolate plains, and deep foreboding forests and jungles. But these lands have seen civilizations rise and fall for as long as humanoids have walked upright.

Kanpur is a mixed pot of cultures and races that have bled over into each other in many regions. Only a few regions can claim any sort of isolated history or development. Kanpur is many campaigns.

Link to Map Being Relocated.

The Western Lands
The Far North
The Northwest
The Southwest
The Dark Continent

The Kanpur Interior
The Horse Lands
The Center Lands
The Haunted Lands
The Land of Fate
The Crowded Sea

The Eastern Lands
The Iceshield Lands
The Northeast
The Southeast
The Indjiran Peninsula
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:05 am, edited 11 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: [Kulan] Kanpur: The Ancient Lands

Post by Knightfall » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Races of Kanpur

• As with my race lists in my World of Kulan thread, I will be creating lists for the various regions of Kanpur. The continent is way to big to have one list of races. There is too much diversity for that to work. However, there are races that can be found anywhere from the Dark Continent to the Iceshield Lands. However, while these races can be found everywhere, it doesn't mean they are the dominant races of Kanpur. Many of these races, like the Baklath and Fremlins, are races that live on the fringes of most societies and aren't always accepted in them. On the other hand, humans, halflings, and kobolds (but not dire kobolds or urds) are three of the major races living on the continent, usually in both rural and urban communities. The dragontouched are also common but not the other dragonblooded races.

RACES OF KANPUR
    Part One: Anywhere on the Continent
    ● Aasimar
    ● Alabast
    ● Asherake
    ● The Baklath †
    ● Centaur, nomadic
    ● Draconic creature [Template] | [Dragontouched] †
    ● Dracovaran †
    ● Dragonborn [Modified] †
    ● Felid [Template]
    ● The Feytouched
    ● Fremlin †
    ● Giantborn [Template]
    ● Half-Dragon [Template]
    ● Half-Fey [Template]
    ● Half-Troll [Template]
    ● Half-Vampire [Template]
    ● Halfling
    ● Human
    ● Kobold
    ● Kobold, dire
    ● Kureshim
    ● Ngakoi
    ● Ogren
    ● Ondonti
    ● Skarren
    ● Tiefling
    ● Urd
    ● Zeidian
    ● Zenythri

† Homebrewed racial traits.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:47 pm

The Far North
The Far North, which was once meant to be the northern half of The Northwest has become its own region.

BARD'S GATE (Bard's Gate [d20 Sourcebook])
Necromancer Games created some of the best fantasy RPG sourcebooks ever made. And while "Bard's Gate" isn't my favorite NG book, it's an excellent city setting that can be dropped into any world. I admit that I've had some difficulty trying to figure out a place to put the city, but after pouring over my map of Kanpur, I think I've found the perfect spot for it.

Bard's Gate is a crossroads city that stands on a major trade route. That's the city's hook as far as I can tell. Plus, the city is meant to be in a cold to temperate zone. Therefore, I've made it a gateway city to the Eastern Lands from Torassia and the rest of the Far North. It is the last major, western-style city before a traveler passes into the Horse Lands.

It sits on the Stoneheart River, which flows south towards Sogukol [not shown on the map]. Its location is vital since the southerly half of the river is untamable. There are two sets of falls and tons of rapids, which makes any sort of crossing nearly impossible. The river flows into the edge of the Great Desert and often floods in the spring.

Travelers must pass through Bard's Gate if they wish to travel the Ice Road to the Far East while, hopefully, avoiding the predatory Mongol-like raiders of Sogukol. However, travelers must also be wary of the Nani Tribes of the Orochen Forest as well as vicious gnoll raiders and the undiplomatic Liget Elves of the region. (Liget means “wood” in Hungarian.)

HJEMLAND (Norse)
Norway, Sweden, and Denmark — the Scandinavian countries are a huge part of my heritage. Norse mythology (along with Greek and Egyptian mythology) is what spring-boarded me towards studying myth and ancient history as well as playing D&D.

Hjemland is full of human raiders (who tend to “go a Viking” in the southern lands each spring and summer) as well as the traditional creatures of Norse mythology. The sourcebook Frost & Fur (see under Torassia below) gives great detail of several Norse monsters and races as does “D&D Frostburn: Mastering the Perils of Ice and Snow.” Frost & Fur also gives alternate versions of the PHB races designed for a Norse campaign.

It is important to note that, in my cosmology, Ragnarök has occurred. This means that Hjemland won't be a completely traditional Norse setting as depicted in D&D Deities and Demigods. (It's going to be twisted.)

THE ICE FLOW
The Ice Flow is likely to be a no-man's-land full of dire polar bears and some of the nastier monstrous creatures from “D&D Frostburn.” A main feature will be the treacherous ice floes that make the region hazardous to traverse. Yet, adventurers often brave this subregion in order to try to find several ancient ruins that are known to exist. Each island in the Flow has at least one major ruin and it is believed there are many more. These ruins are rumored to be from an ancient civilization.

A well known legend states that a powerful Empire of Ice existed on the northern shores of Kanpur before the ice age occurred and that its legacy are the ruins of the Flow. The denizens of this empire were half-ice elementals who worshiped the Ice Lords or Frost Princes of Elemental Evil. No one knows for sure since those few adventurers that have survived the Ice Flow are hesitant to talk about their experiences in the frostfell ruins.

KOTIMI (Finnish)
While my heritage is Scandinavian I'm big fan of Finnish mythology too. I have been ever since I first read the PLANESCAPE sourcebook “On Hallowed Ground.” The Finnish deities have greatly affected the design of World of Kulan. Harqual in particular. Therefore, it was a given that I'd add a Finnish subregion to Kanpur. I had originally planned to make Hjemland a Norse-Finnish cross, but once I decided to “Ragnarök” my cosmology, I felt I needed to separate the Finnish land from Hjemland.

Thus, I created Kotimi. The name still feels a little awkward but until I come up with something better, it will remain Kotimi. The land is frozen an forested. Kotimi's cold woodlands are influenced by the craggy, deep forests of Waldheim directly to the southwest. Directly to the north of Kotimi's woodlands is a small glacier that is remnant from Kulan's recent ice age (2,000+ years ago).

NILVAH (Latvian and Estonian [Terra Mariana])
"There is no mythological system in the Latvian tradition resembling that of Greeks or Romans. All the bulk of facts entitled this way is just a derivation from the Latvian folklore material, and mostly — song texts. This makes all the study on it just speculation."
Aldis Putelis. — Encyclopedia Mythica

Ever since I first discovered Encyclopedia Mythica, I have delved into mythologies I didn't even know existed. Now that site has a whole section devoted to Latvian mythology and Folklore. Nilvah will be a land inspired by this more obscure mythology and its folklore. I’ll likely create several creatures based on the stories of Latvia as soon as I find time to read more about it on the website.

Update: While working on my expanded hex map for The Northwest, I'm taking another look at both Nilvah and Szulolia. Doing some pseudo-research about Latvia on Wikipedia eventually brought me to a page on Terra Mariana, which was the official name for Medieval Livonia (or Old Livonia). Terra Mariana was formed in the wake of the Livonian Crusade in the territories comprising present day Estonia and Latvia. Since Estonia is part of that historical land, its traditions will be part of Nilvah as well.

This time period seems like good starting point for the region around Nilvah. This means it won't be only based on Latvian myths and folklore. I guess the best way to look at the region is Kanpur's version of the Baltic Tribes. Now, since Nilvah is landlocked, the Baltic influence will be altered considerably. And Szulolia is a cold desert, so the region will likely be more fantastical. I've already added Castle Ravenloft in the northern half of the forests of Nilvah, so it's a given that the region will be pseudo-Baltic in nature.

NUVUTI (Yupik)
This isolated, frozen island is one of the many islands in Kulan's Arctic that is dominated by indigenous humanoids with cultures based on Eskimo/Inuit lore. The d20 sourcebook “Frost & Fur: The Explorer's Guide to the Frozen Land” has a wealth of v.3.5 material for an Inuit-based campaign, and I am doing my own research on Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Mythica. Frost & Fur will remain my primary RPG source until I find something better.

Nuvuti will be based on the Yupik of Siberia's Chukchi Peninsula. The Nuvutik practice shamanism and revere animals such as the orca, the wolf, the raven, the spider, and the whale. Sea animals are very important and their spirits must be appeased. The Nuvutik live primarily on one island, which is their traditional homeland, but they can be found living, hunting, and traveling throughout Kanpur's northern lands.

OROCHEN (Orochs)
Orochen is a large taiga forest that spans the northern coast from Bard's Gate in the west to the edge of the Iceshield Lands in the east. However, it is also the name that outsiders give the denizens of the forest. Torassians call them Orochs or Orochis, but in truth, that is only one name for the various tribes of this expansive region. The tribes living near Bard's Gate usually refer to themselves as the Oani. They are hunters and fishers, for the most part, and live a settled lifestyle. There are exceptions but those tribes usually live deeper in the forest and are less civilized. The Oani are a spiritual people; their religious leaders are shamans.

There is also a race of feral elves that live in the western half of the Orochen Forest. They are called Liget elves and dislike intruders in what they consider their homeland. (This includes everyone else except the Oani.) Liget elves worship spirits of the land and revere the forest's powerful fey creatures as quasi-deities. Those fey lords, in return, protect the Liget from the machinations of Torassian expansionists and Sogukol raiders. The forest is home to other, more dark, denizens as well. Monstrous vermin, cannibalistic frost ghuls, and several tribes of evil humanoids living in underground caves.

SZULOLIA (West Slavic | Uralic Peoples [mainly Ugric] | Cold Desert [loosely based on the Deliblato Sands])
Szulolia needed a rewrite, badly. I have never had a clear vision for it, yet I'd never take it off the map. Previously, my idea was to base its peoples on Hungarians, but since Szulolia is a desert, it never really worked for me. Instead, I've decided to extend Kanpur's Slavic influences. There is Torassia (see below), which will be based on East Slavic peoples (mainly Russio-Slavs), but now, there will also be a people based more on West Slavic peoples.

However, these Szul Slavs won't be alone in the region. I've gone away from the idea of a specific Hungarian region and expanded more into the idea of a Uralic people with emphasis on the Ugric peoples (not only Hungarians but also the indigenous peoples known as the Khanty [Ostyaks] and the Mansi [Voguls]). There is a region (historically known as Yugra) in Russia where these two tribes lived. Therefore, Kanpur's Ugric peoples will be originally either be from Szulolia or Torassia. Regardless, they are now primarily found in Szulolia.

As for the desert, there is only one major desert in Europe to base Szulolia's terrian/climate on — the Deliblato Sands. And while that 'desert' is small (300 km²) in comparison to Szulolia, it can still provide the basis for a desert region in the north of Western Lands. The Deliblato Sands were once part of a much larger prehistoric desert, so for Kanpur, this prehistoric desert has remained. An important difference will be how cold Szulolia will be in comparison to the real world Sands. Szulolia is known for its high winds and temperature extremes (with cool and freezing cold being the norm). The desert's diversity is legendary including gigantic/monstrous versions of mole rats, steppe skunks & gerbils, verminous desert ants, falcons & eagles, wolves, roe deer, and boars.

TORASSIA (East Slavic [Russian])
This land is based on two books, which are both from Monkey God Enterprises. The first is the adventure “Tsar Rising.” The second is Monkey God's last hardcover release, “Frost & Fur: The Explorer's Guide to the Frozen Land.” Tsar Rising details the Torassia campaign, while sections of Frost & Fur seem to support that setting. I liked Tsar Rising so much that instead of converting it for Harqual, I've decided to include Torassia on Kanpur. It's a great fit. Frost & Fur even goes so far as to provide Slavic-related equipment and a pantheon of Slavic gods.

WALDHEIM (Germanic [Merovingian Dynasty | plus untamed tribes (Goths)])
To be rewritten.

RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
Part Two: The Far North
The races living in this region vary from the highly civilized to the highly savage. There are a lot of giantblooded races to choose from for the Far North. However, dwarves, elves & half-elves, orcs & half-orcs, an rakasta & kitts all have their place here alongside humans, halflings, and kobolds as the most common races of the region. Midgard dwarves primarily live in Hjemland alongside races with the Norse Humanoid template. The bronth, a bear-like race, are also common in this region. Half-blooded races such as half-bugbears, half-goblins, and ogrekin are a little less uncommon and more likely to be savage. Mammuth titanites are a race of bipedal, mammoth-blooded elephant-kin.

The List
● Alcor
● Bronth †
● Domovoi
● Dwarf
● Dwarf, Midgard
● Dwarf, tiger
● Elf
● Elf, wood (Twin Crowns version)
● Fensir
● Giant, cave
● Giant, hill
● Giant, stone
● Giant, taiga
● Grendle
● Gronk
● Half-Bugbear
● Half-Elf
● Half-Goblin
● Half-Orc
● Jor
● Kitt †
● Lizardfolk, blackscale
● Norse Humanoid [Template]
● Ogrekin [Template]
● Orc
● Rakasta †
● Reigon
● Titanite, Mammuth †
● Trollborn
● Trull
● Uldra
● Verbeeg
● Volodni
● Wendigo
● Windling †

Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:53 am, edited 13 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:51 pm

The Northwest
There are several subregions on this map.

ALMADON (Basque)
"The Basque country (also named Euskadi) is a region between France and Spain. It consists of three provinces: Álava, Gipuzkoa, and Bizkaia. The capital is Gasteiz."
Encyclopedia Mythica

Almadon is the southern half of a chain of islands, which lies on the western edge of the Sea of Ishamark. I got the idea to use a Basque-theme from the Encyclopedia Mythica website. The site goes into great detail about the Basque Mythology, and before I can delve too much into developing this sub-region, I'm going to have to do a lot of research.

BARCINO (Ancient Barcelona)
Barcino came about while I was looking through Wikipedia and other web sites for names appropriate for the city-states of the Free Cities. There are two legends about of the founding of the city of Barcelona. The first states that the city was founded by Hercules roughly 400 years before Rome was built. The second states that the city was founded in the 3rd century BC by Hamilcar Barca, who was a historical figure from Carthage and the father of Hannibal. (In truth, the name Barcino was the Roman name given to the city after its conquest during the Cantabrian Wars.)

Both are good legends, but I think I prefer the Hercules version since Greek-culture is a major influence on Kanpur. While the city itself won't be dominated by Greek culture, Hercules will be the city's patron deity. Barcino is still a young city, and it will definitely have some Roman influence. Therefore, I foresee a connection to Novarum. Perhaps Barcino is a former colony but rebelled. Perhaps it is still influenced by the powers-that-be in Parma, but refuses to abandon Hercules as its patron god. Perhaps the corruption that has infected my Mythic Greece has spread to Barcino.

BLUFFSIDE (Bluffside: City on the Edge [d20 Sourcebook])
One of the easiest sub-regions to explain is based on MEGs “Bluffside: City of the Edge” sourcebook. The book has a wealth of great information and is generic enough that it fits easily into World of Kulan. Bluffside, on Kulan, is one of the major ports of the Sea of Ishamark. (The sea's name comes from the same book.) It is the rival of the city of Parma in the North. It is a friendly rivalry for the most part, as neither wishes to give the reaching governors of Talangrán an opening to attempt to conquer them.

COEURDÎ (French [Carolingian Empire])
While Harqual does have an area that is somewhat French inspired (mostly flavor), I figure it is a good idea to have something French inspired for Kanpur as well. I didn't have enough room to place a 'Fantasy France' in between Waldheim and Talangrán so I, on a lark, decided to make my France part of a chain of islands (the northern half) that make up the western edge of the Sea of Ishamark. Thus, Coeurdî came into existence. It will be interesting how my French islands will develop.

DRAGON SANDS (Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands [d20 Sourcebook])
The second easiest sub-region to explain is the Dragon Sands region. It is based on MEGs “Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands”. While I have only read a few sections of the book, I know enough from skimming the rest of it and reading Bluffside to understand that the big boys of this region are the dragori, a race of reptilian humanoids. Both Dry Lands and Bluffside introduce several other new races as well: hukhamet, nevae, sel'varahn, sixam ieuna, and steam gnomes. The Dragon Sands is just north of the Egyptian-like lands of Khemit. The two regions will definitely be at odds, as the dragori wish to expand their empire further south. (Khemit is from “Gary Gygax’s Necropolis” from Necromancer Games.)

FALIA (TWIN CROWNS: Age of Exploration Fantasy [d20 sourcebook]) [Not Depicted on Map]
Still to be written.

GRANITE KINGDOM (Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands [d20 Sourcebook])
The Granite Kingdom is a dwarven kingdom described in the pages of the "Dry Lands: Empires of the Dragon Sands" sourcebook by MEG. It is described as the "center of dwarven activity" for that setting and crafts unique ceramic magical items. "Granite Kingdom" is the name of the lands largest city as well (pop. ― 20,000 [isolated]). The dwarves of this kingdom aren't native to the mountain range it is located in. They came from elsewhere; I haven't decided from where on my world.

The Granite Kingdom has a whole chapter devoted to it in Dry Lands (pp. 14-20) and it has been a while since I read it. What I do know is that granite dwarves will be an important race along the coastline in this region. Their clay magic is the envy of many and is prized as far away as Aegis and Khemit. The dwarves rarely gift such items to outsiders, which means they often have to deal with thieves trying to steal the legacy of the dwarven kingdom.

GWYRDHYN (Arthurian Legend | Celtic [Relics & Rituals: Excalibur (d20 sourcebook)])
I'm a big fan of Celtic Mythology. I have been ever since I first got my hands on the “AD&D 2nd Edition Legends & Lore” book. Harqual didn't turn out strongly Celtic, thus, I have been looking to add a region influence by Celtic mythology as well as Arthurian Legend. I originally thought I was going to make Janardûn, a small continent west of Harqual, my Celtic campaign, but that continent became something completely different. Now that I'm fleshing out Kanpur, a region based on the Celtic way of life was a natural fit.

Gwyrdhyn is the result. Also known as the Green Isle, this land will have strong ties to fey creatures and the Plane of Faerie as per the alternate plane described in “D&D Manual of the Planes”. Brownies, pixies, nymphs, sprites, and some of the more darker fey, as well, live throughout the lands of Gwyrdhyn, making the lives of its people either better or worse, each day, based on a particular fey creature’s mood when met.

DM's Note: Gwyrdhyn is part of the Northwest but it is also its own region. I consider it to be one of the Island Realms of Kulan.

MONTRESOR (Mythic Italy [Book of Vile Darkness | Heroes of Horror| The Cask of Amontillado (by Edgar Allen Poe)]) [Not Depicted on Map]
Still to be written.

NOVARUM (Mythic Italy [TWIN CROWNS: Age of Exploration Fantasy, as well as Streets of Silver (d20 sourcebooks)])
Since I've only read about half of “Streets of Silver” (in detail) by Living Imagination Inc., I can't really explain too much about the city (or the TWIN CROWN campaign). (Not that the setting will be included on World of Kulan except for Novarum, of course.) Parma is one of the major trade ports on the Sea of Ishamark. The land known as Novarum is constantly at odds with Talangrán, as the governors of that land wish to add Parma to its corrupt empire. The TWIN CROWNS campaign has many fascinating gods, which I've incorporated into Kulan.

The campaign also has a number of new races like Bluffside does. Since I now have the campaign book, the TWIN CROWNS race are officially in for the World of Kulan. The kithraas, an aquatic race; the khesta, a race similar to halflings; the shallorians, a cat race, and two races of elves.

PERTEN (Bluffside: City on the Edge [d20 sourcebook])
Perten is a city detailed in “Bluffside: City on the Edge.” It is described as being a rough & tumble loggers town. The town's citizens are hard working people who don't like laziness. Despite its longstanding forest industry, Perten is an ally of the various demihuman communities of the Coldwind Forest. Local elf clans help monitor Perten's loggers to ensure that the forest isn't stripped bare. And the gnomes and dwarves living in the surrounding hills and mountains conduct trade in Perten.

Perten is listed in the book as a small city with just over 6,000 people. I'm going to make my version a bit bigger (likely around 10,000 permanent residents) and more independent from Bluffside. Plus, I'm going to strain the relations between the loggers and the elves just to make the community a bit more interesting. My version of the city also has major vassal communities – Kytlen and Kalnel. Kytlen is on the western shoreline of Coldwind Lake at the headwaters of the Red River and is mainly a community of dwarves, gnomes, and humans. Kalnel sits on the Delue River near the southern edge of forest and is mainly a community of elves, halflings, and humans.

SCOPULA (Ethos Magazine)
Scopula is a generic city created by Clayton Bunce and was published in a now defunct (I believe) RPG e-zine known as “Ethos Magazine.” The article in that e-zine was barely more than a page long with very little detail beyond a explorer's view of the city. While there aren't any stats, Bunce does include a nice map of the city and notes the city's population (6,000). Scopula is described as a city on the edge, which is funny considering I've also included Bluffside in this region.

Scopula and Bluffside are not on good terms. Bluffside is famous for being known as the City on the Edge, which pisses off Scopulans who insist they came up with the honorific first. Regardless, most travelers avoid Scopula and its surly residents. Scopulans don't like casual visitors in their city, so if a traveler doesn't have something the citizens want then they are told to seek berthing elsewhere. The citizens of Bluffside consider Scopulans to be beneath their notice.

It should be noted that no one has ever conquered Scopula but, then again, few have cared to try to seriously dominate the cliff side city (especially with Bluffside so close). The city does stand on the ruins of what was once a great fortress, but the outer remnants of that construct have been stripped bare by the populace fo building construction. Still, adventurers often try to seek into the city in order to explore the lower reaches of the ruin, which was called Margate.

TALANGRÁN (Book of Erotic Fantasy [d20 sourcebook] | Book of Vile Darkness | Castilian | Spanish)
This empire is based on the adventure "The Lady Rose," by Steven Kurtz, in DUNGEON Magazine #34.

"The Talangrán Empire is an ancient power, with a language, culture, and legal system over 2,000 years old. The core of the society and economic system has always been based on slave labor. In Talangrán, slavery is considered neither good nor evil; it simply exists. It has always existed in the past; it will continue to exist in the future. The only good or evil (with respect to slavery) in Talangrán society is defined by how a master treats his slaves."

My Talangrán is more "vile" than depicted in the DUNGEON adventure. Slavery is a harsh way to be forced to live in the empire and most slaves are elves, halflings, or gnomes, although dwarven and goblinoid slaves are also common. Many of Talangrán's elite citizens are devil or demon worshipers, and the regional governors control their provinces with an iron fist wrapped in velvet. Talangrán has designs to conquer Novarum (as it has for hundreds of years). Right now the countries have an uneasy truce, which could unravel at any time.

TÂNGER (Ancient Tangier)
"The history of Tangier is very rich due to the historical presence of many civilizations and cultures starting from the 5th century BC." ― Wikipedia

Tânger was founded centuries ago by a great hero named Syphax. He was the semi-divine son of a goddess known as Tinga. He built the city in her memory. That is the city's legend. Sages aren't sure if the goddess still exists, but she is still worshiped in Tânger. The city has been conquered, freed, and reconquered so many times that no one is sure of the city's true origin. Its last conqueror was Novarum, but the city's leaders recently bought Tânger's freedom. It remains in the good graces of its former masters and keeps a wary eye out for machinations coming from the Talangrán Empire.

The city is a refuge. It is a mosaic of different cultures and, sometimes, the oppressed. It can be said to be a city of immigrants and many runaway slave from Talangrán have found solace behind Tânger's walls. There are few restrictions on divine worship in the city although the worshiping of vile gods and fiends is outlawed in Tânger. The gods of Novarum have large temples dedicated to them in this city. Since Syphax is often considered to be a Hellenistic hero, the gods of Aegis also have a strong influence in the city. There are also a lot of demihumans in Tânger, which means their deities have temples or shines as well; however, edifices are usually less grandiose.

TICINUM (Old Roman-like Empire [in decline]) [Not Depicted on Map]
Still to be written.

VÁRAD (Former Province of the Ticinum Empire [based on Pannonia])
Várad is the name of a village in Baranya county, Hungary. (I think that's where I got the name for this city.)

This entry will be rewritten.

New Hex Map Version of The Northwest

RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
Part Three: The Northwest

• Still to be written.

Common Races
    ● Dover
    ● Dwarf
    ● Elf
    ● Elf, gray
    ● Giant, wood
    ● Gnome
    ● Gnome, brewer
    ● Hadozee
    ● Half-Elf
    ● Half-Orc
    ● Halfling, tallfellow
    ● Human, Vasharan
    ● Kitt †
    ● Orc
    ● Rakasta †
    ● Windling †

Uncommon Races
    ● Asaatth
    ● Centaur
    ● Dragonkin
    ● Faust
    ● Giant, stone
    ● Gnome, forest
    ● Gnome, steam
    ● Green folk
    ● Half-Goblin
    ● Half-Ogre
    ● Human, Descendant of Trel †
    ● Litorian
    ● Lizardfolk
    ● Roven
    ● Sixam ieuna
    ● Trollborn
    ● Watcher

Rare Races
    ● Changling
    ● Darfellan
    ● Dragori-Nen
    ● Dragori-Fehr
    ● Dragori-Sah
    ● Giant, hill
    ● Goblin
    ● Half-Githzerai
    ● Hobgoblin
    ● Illumian
    ● Khesta
    ● Lizardfolk, blackscale
    ● Nevaequariani [Navae]
    ● Ogrekin [Template]
    ● Pixie
    ● Satyr
    ● Shallorian
    ● Sibeccai
    ● Verrik
    ● Warforged

Very Rare Races
    ● Aberrant
    ● Decataur
    ● Doppelganger
    ● Eleti
    ● Giant, cave
    ● Giant, marsh
    ● Goblin, Bakad [Haggler]
    ● Goblin, mad smith
    ● Gruwaar
    ● Half-Bugbear
    ● Half-Medusa [Template]
    ● Half-Titan [Template]
    ● Hukhamet [Wise One]
    ● Killoren
    ● Kithraas
    ● Lizardfolk, giant
    ● Miredweller
    ● Ogre
    ● Onnen
    ● Raker
    ● Raptoran
    ● Reigon
    ● Shifter, cliffwalk or longstride
    ● Skulk
    ● Troblin
    ● Troll, swamp
    ● Verbeeg
    ● Woodwose
    ● Zamrul

Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:26 am

The Southwest
This region has several subregions, which are mainly influenced by North African culture. This region is the gateway to the Dark Continent, a region that is borrowed right out of one of my favorite DRAGON Magazine articles.

ÆTHIXIM (East African [Aksumite | Arabian])
The map in “Gary Gygax’s Necropolis” by Necromancer Games has several great place names on the map for Khemit. Æthixim takes two of those names — Æthepe and Axxum — and combines them. This land is going to be a fantastical version of Aksum. However, since it is so close to my version of Zakhara, it will be heavily influenced by Arabian culture as well. I foresee a strong alliance between Æthixim's King and the Grand Caliph of Golden Huzuz.

BAIDHIN ISLANDS (Phoenician)
Carthage has always fascinated me, but I have yet to delve deep into the history of that ruined city. From my preliminary research it seems like a lot of North Africa was controlled by the Phoenicians. The Baidhin Islands are independent of Cathe (see below), although the two regions share a lot in common and have been allies in the past. Both are enemies of the cannibalistic, dwarven headhunters of Kungya. The Baidhin Islands will be more of a traditional Phoenician land.

CATHE (Mythic Carthage)
Cathe is going to be my Carthage. However, it will be a very fantastical Phoenician land with lots of elves, dwarves, orcs, goblinoids, rakasta, etc.

THE CICATRIX (North African | Rift to the Underearth)
The Cicatrix is an ancient rift in the earth that leads to the Underearth, Kulan's underdark. I'm thinking that this rift has been fought over for generations but that no one has been able to gain complete control over it. Cathe and Khemit constantly bicker over the rights to this entrance to the Dark Below. In truth, it is controlled more by duergar and illithids.

HOLLOWFAUST (SCARRED LANDS Hollowfaust: City of Necromancers [d20 Sourcebook])
Another d20 sourcebook that I have is “Hollowfaust: City of Necromancers,” which is part of the Scarred Lands setting. It is definitely going in the mountains surrounding Terre Mortis (see below). Hollowfaust will be a “major” influence on the region.

Note: I've already placed “Shelzar: City of Sin” on the far southern coast of Kanpur on the Dark Continent, and I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put “Mithral: City of the Golem.” The SCARRED LANDS city books are awesome! :D

KESH LANDS (North African [Desert Tribes | Kushite])
Another land inspired by “Gary Gygax’s Necropolis.” I took the name Kesha and dropped the “a.” I am thinking Kushite crossed with nomadic desert tribes as per the movies “The Mummy” and “The Mummy Returns,” except without the guns. (Well, maybe flintlocks.)

KHEMIT (Mythic Egypt [Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra (d20 boxed set) | Gary Gygax's Necropolis (d20 sourcebook)])
“Gary Gygax's Necropolis” is one of the best Egyptian-theme campaign books I’ve ever seen. And while the bulk of the book is adventure, the material in the back of the book makes it even more valuable. An expanded Egyptian pantheon, monsters, classes, magic, and a section detailing the basic premise of Khemit helps flesh out the land without straightjacketing a DMs own creativity. I particularly like the sections on Current Government Organization, Cities and Towns, and Common Given Names.

In addition to Necropolis, I have a copy of Green Ronin's "Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra." If Gygax's book can be said to be the best Egyptian adventure/sourcebook for d20, then Hamunaptra is easily the definitive Egyptian-based boxed set for v.3.5. Now that I have it, it is slowly taking over Necropolis's role as the canon for my version of Khemit. It's Awesome!

KUNGYA (Dwarven lands [African | Phoenician])
Here, I'm thinking, Cathe has tried to invade this region by land several times but the deep jungles are full of dangerous Africa-inspired jungle creatures and cannibalistic dwarves. If you’re not a jungle dwarf then you best tread lightly here. Either that or be able to run really fast.

LAMNARO (Aerenal elven lands [African | Arabian])
The name was built from the elven name generator from Dragon Magazine #251. Broken down “Lam-Na-Ro” means “East-Ancient-Walker.” This land and the other elven lands of the Dark Continent were once thriving elven kingdoms/empires. Now, ages later, the ancient elven lands of Lamnaro, Caerox, Caesaira, and Firryaith are just ruined lands lost under the growth of jungle, savanna, and time. Lamnaro is the least ruined of these lands and still has a government and populace.

Eberron has changed this land. The elves of Lamnaro are going to be based on the society of the Aerenal elves from that setting. Therefore, the land will have its own version of the Undying Court, which means deathless creatures and a hatred of the undead. I foresee conflict between the elves of Lamnaro and Terre Mortis (with Hollowfaust caught in the middle). :D

LIBU (Cyrenaica)
Libu is the name of an ancient Berber tribe. The name Libya comes from it. Wikipedia states that Egypt and Libya were enemies based on the Great Karnak Inscription Merneptah. Libu was also connected to the Greeks during the time of Cyrenaica. And the Romans described the Libu tribes as raiders and nomads. How much of this is true is hard to say since conquerers write history.

Regardless, I am using Libu as the name of a powerful city-state, which sits on the coast of Kanpur's southern sub-continent. It is close to both the city-state of Tânger — across the Straight of Dragons — and Sharn and the Free Cities to the north and east. It is also very close to both the Kesh Lands and Khemit. Khemit has tried to conquer Libu in the past but there is a truce right now. How long will it last? No one knows.

The citizens of Libu are not fond of the Keshites but they rarely war with each other. Both are more concerned with protecting themselves from Khemit and Cathe. Libu has the advantage in this since it has the patronage of Valenas [not shown on this map]. However, Valenas is on the northeastern shore of the Illiadis Sea, so that patronage only goes so far. The people of Libu also conduct a lot of trade with the citizens of Tânger, but they tend to avoid Sharn and its politics.

NUMIA (East African [Nubia | Kerma])
Another land based on a place name from “Gary Gygax’s Necropolis.” That name is Nubian Oversight, but I figured I'd just go with Nubia. However, I've now renamed it to Numia.

Gygax's Nubian Oversight is obviously a fantasy version of Nubia (perhaps during the time of the Kingdom of Kerma). Wikipedia states that "Nubian–Egyptian relations are complex and extend across many centuries." They often conquered each other but there was also mixed marriages. Relations between Numia and Khemit will be similar and I will be using the Kingdom of Kerma as my starting point for the region. Throw in magic and monsters and who knows where it will end up.

SCALDED SAVANNA
I didn’t like the huge space left wide open between the jungles of Kungya and the ancient, elven land of Lamnaro. So I decided to give the region a fairly generic name and see where it ends up. This region is fairly bare of any sort of civilization, being home mainly to roam bands of feral catfolk and other, more unsavory, types of creatures (i.e. aberrations, undead). The land is dry and harsh, yet still qualifies as savanna rather than desert.

TERRE MORTIS
I'm thinking desert waste, hordes of undead, lost cities, and lots of African influences. However, this area won’t be inspired by the content in “D&D Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead,” since I got rid of that book. (It never really fit my personal style.) Terre Mortis will be more inspired by traditional undead creatures as well as the creatures and undead describes in several DUNGEON Magazine articles.

RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
Part Four: The Southwest

• Still to be written.

Common Races
    ● Anpur [Gnoll]
    ● Bastai
    ● Dwarf, Ptahmenu
    ● Elf, Aernal [Lamnaro Elf]
    ● Elf, Esetiri
    ● Gnome, Sutekhra
    ● Half-Goblin
    ● Halfling, Asari
    ● Haragitu [Half-Githzerai]
    ● Hukhamet [Wise One]
    ● Human, Nethrin
    ● Human, Pesedjer
    ● Lizardfolk, sandfolk
    ● Menynoka [Serpent-Man]
    ● Peseshet [Half-Elf]
    ● Sharakim
    ● Sobekhi

Uncommon Races
    ● Asaatth
    ● Catfolk
    ● Dragonkin
    ● Dwarf, wild
    ● Elf, gray
    ● Giant, sand
    ● Giant, wood
    ● Goblin
    ● Gruwaar
    ● Half-Giant
    ● Half-Medusa [Template]
    ● Halfling, wild
    ● Hobgoblin
    ● Human, Vasharan
    ● Kobold, feral †
    ● Lizardfolk
    ● Nevaequariani [Navae]
    ● Raptoran
    ● Vraaark [Half-Gnoll]

Rare Races
    ● Dover
    ● Eleti
    ● Faust
    ● Giant, hill
    ● Giant, stone
    ● Gnome, forest
    ● Half-Bugbear
    ● Half-Ogre
    ● Half-Orc
    ● Halfling, tallfellow
    ● Kitt †
    ● Lizardfolk, blackscale
    ● Orc, greenskin
    ● Trollborn
    ● Underfolk
    ● Verbeeg
    ● Windling †

Very Rare Races
    ● Bugbear
    ● Centaur
    ● Dwarf
    ● Elf
    ● Giant, cave
    ● Gnome
    ● Half-Elf
    ● Half-Titan [Template]
    ● Illumian
    ● Kratch
    ● Ogre
    ● Ogrekin [Template]
    ● Orc
    ● Pixie
    ● Rakasta †
    ● Satyr
    ● Shifter
    ● Warforged

Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:04 am

The Dark Continent
"David Howery's article, "The Dark Continent," in DRAGON Magazine #189 is one of my favorites from the 2E era; thus, it was a given when "building" Kulan that I'd create my own version for the setting. Of course, that article is only a guideline for me." ― KF

The Dark Continent. Those three words mean savagery to the civilizations of the northern lands of Kanpur. However, it is far from the truth. In fact, this region of Kanpur is home to some of the oldest civilizations on the planet. Those civilizations are just different from what northerners understand to be civilization. Yes, there is savagery in this region but much of it is noble in strength and mind. High magic and psionic power is common throughout the most southerly parts of the Dark Continent and the Matsu Empire spans across as much territory as Khemit does (some would say even more).

The subregions of the Dark Continent are as diverse as the races and creatures that call this primeval land home.

AUJIRA ISLANDS (Southern Africa | Zulu Kingdom [High Magic])
"The Zulu Kingdom, sometimes referred to as the Zulu Empire or, rather imprecisely, Zululand, was a monarchy in Southern Africa that extended along the coast of the Indian Ocean from the Tugela River in the south to Pongola River in the north." ― Wikipedia

The DRAGON Magazine article lists several example kingdoms for an African-based campaign setting. The Zulu people are given as one of those examples. The article says that the Zulu of the time period were "famous for their bravery in battle." It goes on to talk about King Shaka kaSenzangakhona and his accomplishments in brief. However, there is a lot more to learn online, now, about the kingdoms and cultures of Africa than can be gleaned from a DRAGON article from 1993. (It's still a great starting point, however.) I have a lot of reading to do about Africa's past, and I'll likely use wikipedia to gain a better understanding of how to build my own Mythic Africa.

Regardless, the Aujira Islands will be for my version of the Zulu Kingdom. Since it will be an island kingdom, the background of the Zulu people will need to go through some major changes. Plus, the hierarchy of this island people will be highly magical. The citizens of Aujira will be lead by powerful arcanists who will be masters of Abjuration magic. Their brave warriors will be Abjurant Champions as per the prestige class in D&D Complete Mage. The kingdom's champions must be proficient with the traditional weapon of the Zulu people — the assegai. Aujira will also have a powerful navy of magical war-canoes. Hmm, maybe spelljammers too. :idea:

BUSHLANDS (African | Bushmen [Psionic])
The Bushlands is a name inspired from The Dark Continent map in DRAGON #189. On that map, it notes that "Bushmen" live in the desert. Therefore, I created a desert to place my own bushmen. After doing some wikipedia research, I discovered a name for my bushmen, San, which has become semi-official in the modern day (but with controversy). It's a fine choice for my purposes. :)

The San will be naturally psionic.

CAESAIRA (Elven lands [African-Arabian | Ruined])
Caesaira was once a great elven kingdom in ancient times. Long before human kingdoms, such as the Matsu Empire, rose to prominence throughout the Dark Continent, elves ruled its jungles. It is believed that the ancestors of Zakhara's citizens learned their culture from the elves of Caesaira. However, there is also evidence that the culture of the Caesairan elves was rooted in the myths and legends of the Dark Continent. These elves did not worship the Elven Gods Instead, they worshiped their ancestors as risen immortals as well as tribal totem animals — the giraffe, the lion, the monkey, and the zebra. Evidence gleaned from Caesaira's ruins points to this land being destroyed by its rival, Firryaith. This Jungle-Kin War left both kingdoms in ruins although Firryaith's ancestors still survive in the Dark Jungle — living in primitive tribes. The only remnants of Caesaira are its ruined cities, palaces, and temples; these overgrown ruins are thought to be filled with lost treasures. A few have been looted but death is all most find in the jungles of this lost elven land, which is filled with monsters (and believed, by many, to be haunted).

You have been warned.

CAEROX (Elven and halfling tribal lands [African | Ruined])
Caerox is another ruined land that was once a kingdom of demihumans in the time before Khemit's first great kingdom rose to power in the north. It was less grand than Caesaira or Firryaith and it survived for a time after the end of the Jungle-Kin War. However, it had depended on Firryaith for protection and was destroyed by the undead of Terre Mortis. Its ruins are definitely filled with undead but there are still tribes of elves and halflings living in this small jungle. They are less wild than the denizens of the Dark Jungle, but they will attack outlanders that try to defile the ruins of their ancestors. The rulers of Hollowfaust consider Caerox to be under their protection whether its denizens want that protection or not.

CORSAIR DOMAINS (AL-QADIM Corsairs of the Great Sea)
When mapping out Kanpur (in CC2 Pro), I originally forgot to leave a place for the Corsair Domains. Once I had realized my error, I needed to find a place to put it. There was no way I was going to omit it. (All parts of the AL-QADIM setting exist on Kanpur, somewhere.) I wanted the islands to be west of the High Desert, and I had originally thought of putting the island chain west of Kotaresi. It was too far away. Therefore, I shoehorned the Corsair Domains into the gulf between the African half and African-Arabian half of the Dark Continent. It's a little odd, but I'm not going to change it now.

DARK JUNGLE (African [Ashanti Empire | EBERRON Secrets of Xen'drik])
"The Ashanti Empire or Asante Empire, also known as the Ashanti Confederacy or Asanteman (independent from 1701–1896), was a pre-colonial West African state created by the Akan people of what is now the Ashanti Region in Ghana . . . . Akan political organization centered on various clans, each headed by a paramount chief or Amanhene." ― Wikipedia

The Dark Continent article lists the Asante (or Ashante) as another example kingdom of Africa. The brief info given is good but nothing beats wikipedia. Sure, you cannot always trust what is on that web site, but this is gaming not scholarly writing. The article's map puts the Asante in the continent's jungle; therefore, my version of the Ashante will be located in the Dark Jungle. This growing kingdom is building itself in the shadows of what was once Firryaith. The Akanti, as I will call them, prefer to avoid the ruins of the elves, but when the need is great, they will scavenge building material from the less sacred ruins. The Akanti show respect to the elves of the Dark Jungle, but they do not fear them. War has never broken out between the Akanti and the elves, but there have been skirmishes. The two races consider the citizenry of Stormreach to be a greater threat than each other and will work together to discourage outlanders.

The Dark Jungle is more than the home of the Akanti and the descendants of Firryaith, however. Since I'm using Stormreach in the region, I've decided to add some of the adventuring locales from Secrets of Xen'drik into the heart of jungle. I haven't decided what will go where yet, but I imagine that a lot of what's in that book will find its way into the Dark Jungle or the mountain ranges surrounding it. Note: There are other races living in the Dark Jungle such as wild dwarves — the race from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, but twisted in some way. There will likely be halfling "pygmies" too. Oh, and a lot of monsters in the jungle's southern region.

FIRRYAITH (Elven tribal lands [African | High Magic | Ruined])
The name Firryaith is spoken with awe and wonder by the elven tribes of the Dark Jungle. There wasn't another elven kingdom on the Dark Continent greater than this lost civilization. Its heights were as great as the towering city of Sharn in the northern lands. Its people were an offshoot of the gray elves, and it is believed that the arcanists of Firryaith were masters of high elven magic. Its rulers were considered demigods, and it controlled more than half of the Dark Continent at its zenith. The only land that rivaled it was Caesaira. The bitterness between the two lands is told as tales of legend by elven tribes; it was an animosity that lead to war. The Jungle-Kin War lasted centuries and lead to the downfall of both kingdoms. Firryaith's people were luckier only because they were more widespread. The elven tribes that exist in the Dark Jungle today are the direct descendants of the elves of Firryaith. While they respect the past, they do not desire a return to the old ways. They protect their ancestor's fallen cities (and other structures) from those that would despoil them, but they are not fanatical about it. If outlanders truly wish to lose their lives in the ruins of Firryaith, the elves will not stop them. Outlanders that survive the ruins rarely leave the Dark Jungle with their spoils, however. Yet, despite the odds, adventurers from Stormreach continue to seek out Firryaith's lost ruins.

HIGH DESERT (AL-QADIM Land of Fate boxed set)
Al-Qadim is one of my favorite 2E creations. Therefore, when I created Kulan, I knew immediately that I wanted to create my own version of the Land of Fate. The mapping process was a challenge since I wanted my version to be as close as possible to the official version. What resulted was okay, but it isn't nearly as close as I'd liked. The Dark Continent and the lands of the Southwest region ended up twisting my map design in bizarre ways. Yet, there will be place for everything from the Zakhara campaign setting on Kanpur. As a result, the High Desert found its way on to the Dark Continent. The desert is home to nine nomadic tribes that are considered “enlightened” as well as many smaller tribes, bands, and raiders. The tribes of the High Desert either trade with or conduct raids on the tribes and city-states of N'Shal. The eastern coastline near the High Desert is notable for the cities that exist there. The Cities of the Pearl — Ajayib, Gana, Jumlat, Sikak, and Tajar — are part of the Land of Fate. In fact, the Pearl Cities are some of the wealthiest cities of Zakhara and trade is vital in these exotic cities. The desert tribes of the High Desert and the Cities of the Pearl are detailed in the "Adventurer's Guide to Zakhara" in the AL-QADIM Land of Fate boxed set.

KOTARESI (Dragonborn lands [African])
While the dragonborn can be found throughout the World of Kulan, the dragonblooded race has only a few lands that they dominate. Kotaresi is one of the largest. The Kotar, as they call themselves, have completely integrated themselves in the culture of the Dark Continent, and they are renown sailors. They have formed a thalassocracy on the island chain that sits along the western shore of the continent. Their sea kingdom is one of the most powerful in the region and they consider the Aujirans to be their enemies. The Kotaresi fleet is mainly composed of massive war canoes and gigantic triremes. The Kotar learned how to build triremes from the citizens of Thundras; the two lands are trading partners and military allies. They have begun experimenting with the idea of building ships that combine aspects of their traditional war canoes with the designs of Thundras. So far, these new designs have failed to give them an edge over the Aujirans, but Kotaresi canoe-ships have been able to sail to the nearby shores of the Fallenlands and back again with only a few losses.

MAGACA (African | Madagascar [High Magic])
Madagascar has some interesting history. Its earliest settlers came to the island around 200 BCE; however, I want Magaca to have a higher culture than Madagascar's earliest civilizations. I think Magaca will be based on either the early Sakalava Chiefdoms or the later Merina Kingdom (or both) but amped up considerably. The Sakalava were powerful traders in much of the Indian Ocean. Therefore, Magaca will have strong mercantile ties to Zakhara and distant Indjra. The Merina Kingdom was a pre-colonial state that ruled over Madagascar in the 19th century; its kings and queens were the descendants of a long line of hereditary royalty that stretched back to the first inhabitants of the island. Politically, the Merina and the Sakalava were rivals, which sounds like a great campaign idea to me. Regardless, the island's inhabitants will have access to high magic. Its rulers will be epic.

MATSU EMPIRE (African | Benin Empire)
"The Benin Empire (1440–1897) was a pre-colonial African state in what is now modern Nigeria . . . . The original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Edo people, were initially ruled by the Ogisos (Kings of the Sky) who called their land Igodomigodo." ― Wikipedia

Benin is another example of an African kingdom given in the Dark Continent article. Benin was a west African empire founded by the Edo people. The article says their leader was known as the Oba; however, Wikipedia states that the empire's earliest rulers were known as the Ogisos, or Kings of the Sky. Ogisos and Oba refer to the early and later dynasties of the Oba. A man named Eweka I was the first Oba, which is a Edo word meaning 'red'.

The best time period for my Matsu Empire seems to be the Golden Age of the Oba Dynasty. It was during this time that Benin City became a military fortress and its leader, Oba Ewuare, launched expansive military campaigns. Matsu City will be a fortress protected by a series of moats and walls. It's inner wall is “a seven mile (11 km) long earthen rampart girded by a moat fifty feet (15 m) deep” as noted on Wikipedia for Benin City. The empire's holy symbol will be the leopard as noted in the Dark Continent article.

The Dark Continent article says that the Benin practiced large-scale human sacrifices but Wikipedia doesn't seem to back this up. Therefore, I'm going to downplay that aspect for my Matsu Empire until I've done more research. However, the Matsu people will be famous artisans of bronze, iron, and ivory as noted in both sources. The Matsu make fantastic bronze wall plaques and life-sized bronze or ivory masks of the empire's nobility. Matsu art is prized as far away as Bluffside to the north and Zakhara to the east.

MIBHA (African | Mali Empire)
“The Mali Empire . . . was a West African empire of the Mandinka from c. 1230 to c. 1600. The empire was founded by Sundiata Keita and became renowned for the wealth of its rulers, especially Mansa Musa I. The Mali Empire had many profound cultural influences on West Africa, allowing the spread of its language, laws and customs along the Niger River. The Mali empire extended over a large area and consisted of numerous vassal kingdoms and provinces.” ― Wikipedia

Once again, another African kingdom noted in the Dark Continent article is Mali. The Mali Empire is of note for its wealth an culture — a fact noted both in the article and on Wikipedia. Mali seems to have a lot of history from it pre-Imperial times to its collapse in the 1600s. Its a bit daunting. What I have done for my version of Mali is use a close approximation to the name of the fantasy kingdom given in the Dark Continent article. Mibha is a wealthy city that trades a great deal with the citizens of Thundras. The city's main exports are gold and salt. Mibha will likely be near the beginning of its Imperial era.

N'SHAL, SAVANNA OF (African | Sahelian Kingdoms)
“The Sahelian kingdoms were a series of kingdoms or empires that were centered on the sahel, the area of grasslands south of the Sahara. The wealth of the states came from controlling the trade routes across the desert. Their power came from having large pack animals like camels and horses that were fast enough to keep a large empire under central control and were also useful in battle. All of these empires were also quite decentralized with member cities having a great deal of autonomy.” ― Wikipedia

N'Shal is going to be twofold. First, it is going to be the area of grassland where my Sahelian kingdoms have risen and fallen. In the real world, the first of these kingdoms to rise was the Kingdom of Ghana. It was followed by several notable kingdoms including the Sosso, the Mali, Songhai, Kanem-Bornu & Hausa, and Fulani. Since Mibha is my version of the Mali Empire, it is the current N'Shalian kingdom. The future capital city of my Songhai exists as a vassal state of Mibha as do many other city-states scattered across the Savanna of N'Shal. Will it rise to power someday as in the real world?

Second, N'Shal will also be home to many primitive humanoid tribes that live as wild riders and savage primitives. The savanna is named for an ancient tribe of humans who use tamed zebras as mounts and pack animals. This tribe isn't completely human, however. There is a strong legacy of elven and felid blood running through the N'Shal people. Half-elves are common while half-catfolk are more uncommon. The N'Shal carry long spears and clubs and their culture is considered primitive by outsiders. However, the N'Shal are one of the oldest tribes of the Dark Continent, and they masters of powerful spiritual magicks (i.e. spirit shamans). They also have a long legacy of sorcery.

SHELZAR (SCARRED LANDS Shelzar: City of Sin [d20 Sourcebook])
The City of Sin. I knew instantly that I was going to use the Shelzar sourcebook for Kulan after buying it. (Actually, I was pretty sure before I bought it. Heh.) But where to put it? I thought about placing it in the middle of my version of the Land of Fate, but it just didn't feel like it fit. Yes, its theme is similar, but Shelzar is darker. I still wanted it close to my Zakhara, however. Thus, it found its way to the southern coastline of the Dark Continent. Shelzar has existed in this region for a long time and some believe it used to be a Zakharan colony — that it broke away from the Land of Fate in ages past. Its citizens deny this story, completely, as do most living in the Land of Fate.

So, how did Shelzar come into being? Who founded it? No one is sure and its history is a bit of mystery. What is known is that the City of Sin is tied to Hollowfaust in some manner. The two cities are ancient rivals; there is a great deal of distrust between the two cities' citizens (some would say outright hate). It doesn't help that Shelzar aligns itself to Stormreach and has had clandestine dealings with the Corsair Domains. Its leaders deny this, of course, but no one believes them.

SOLAMBER (PENUMBRA Seven Cities [d20 Sourcebook])
The city-state of Solamber was founded by a powerful elf, known only as the Sun Lord, over 500 years ago. It is believed that the Sun Lord was originally from the Northwest region of the continent. He continues to rule the city to this day, although he is hard pressed by a evil elven witch known as the Night Lady. Her heritage is a mystery. It is whispered that she is an outcast of Lamnaro, but most in Solamber believe she is more likely a Nevaequariani. Regardless, she and Sun Lord have been warring for control of the city-state for nearly two-and-a-half centuries.

The city-states patron deity is the god known as Apollo or, more specifically, Phoebus Apollo. Solamber means "city of the sun" in the language of the northern elves. Note that Solamber isn't an elven city; it is a mixed community, although the number of elves in the city-state is higher than normal. Solamber's survival on the Dark Continent is mainly due to the power of the Sun Lord. Both Shelzar and Stormreach consider the city-state an enemy while the distant land of Thundras is its best ally. Relations with the tribes of the High Desert are cordial. Relations with the Cities of the Pearl on the other side of the peninsula are 'polite'.

STORMREACH (EBERRON City of Stormreach)
I'm quickly becoming an Eberron fan. Not so much for the setting itself but for the wealth of material that the setting holds. Material that I'm not attached to as placed in Eberron itself. Hmm, an explanation seems to be in order.

Over the years, I've become attached to Greyhawk locales in the World of Greyhawk and Realmsian locales in the Forgotten Realms. Yes, I've placed Waterdeep in the Lands of Harqual, but that was an easy choice. Waterdeep is its own entity. It lives and breathes behind its walls. Greyhawk City, on the other hand, feels, to me, linked too much to its setting for me to lift it out of that world and place it in my own. And I would never take up Shadowdale and plop it down on Harqual or Kanpur. That would be too weird.

But, Eberron, it is too new. It's a great setting, but I'm not attached to it. I had no problem placing Sharn at the center of Kanpur's various civilizations, and I knew that Stormreach would soon follow. Of course, my Stormreach will be different from Eberron's Stormreach. How can it not be? There aren't any true drow on Kulan. And there are several living civilizations on Kulan's Dark Continent while Eberron's Xen'drik is more of a land of ruins of lost civilizations. (Not that Kanpur's Dark Continent doesn't have its own ruins of lost civilizations.)

Stormreach will still be the destination of choice from those from Sharn seeking to explore the Dark Continent. It is the gateway to the interior of the Dark Jungle where some of Xen'drik's jungle-based locales might soon exist. Locations such as the Obsidian City and Throne Gate Ruins, perhaps. I haven't decided yet. Stormreach will be aligned to Shelzar to the south and against Hollowfaust to the north. Its relations with other settled lands of the Dark Continent are usually adversarial, especially Thundras.

THUNDRAS ("Fort Thunder" from the DRAGON Magazine #189 article)
In the last section of David Howery's article, he describes a trading city called Fort Thunder, which "coexists peacefully with the natives." Thundras is going to be my version of that but more expansive. Port Thundras is its capital and it has several large towns that support it. Thundras was once a vassal city of a feudal land in the Northwest called Caralona. However, that home land was destroyed by Talangrán, and Thundras has had to survive on its own ever since. In many ways, this land of orphaned colonists has gone native. Its citizens are respected throughout the Dark Continent for their political neutrality. Yet, Thundras' people are still considered outlanders at best or invaders at worst.

RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
Part Five: The Dark Continent

• Still to be written.

Common Races
    ● Catfolk
    ● Elf, painted
    ● Elf, wild (Twin Crowns version)
    ● Gnoll
    ● Gruwaar
    ● Half-Gnoll
    ● Halfling, wild
    ● Hobgoblin, Kargi
    ● Lizardfolk, sandfolk
    ● Orc, greenskin
    ● Sil-Karg [Half-Hobgoblin]
    ● Thri-Kreen
    ● Xeph
    ● Zebranaur †

Uncommon Races
    ● Elf, Aernal [Lamnaro Elf]
    ● Giant, stone
    ● Half-Bugbear
    ● Half-Elf
    ● Half-Giant
    ● Half-Goblin
    ● Half-Ogre
    ● Half-Orc, Urkhadi
    ● Halfling, ghostwise
    ● Haragitu [Half-Githzerai]
    ● Kobold, feral †
    ● Rakasta †
    ● Sktak
    ● Titanite of the Dark Continent †
    ● Underfolk
    ● Yuan-Ti pureblood

Rare Races
    ● Bugbear
    ● Eleti
    ● Geckofolk †
    ● Giant, hill
    ● Giant, sand
    ● Goblin, forestkith
    ● Half-Orc
    ● Halfling, deep
    ● Kitt †
    ● Lizardfolk, blackscale
    ● Ogrekin [Template]
    ● Plantfolk
    ● Raptoran
    ● Shifter
    ● Tasloi
    ● Vraaark
    ● Windling †

Very Rare Races
    ● Dwarf
    ● Elf
    ● Giant, cave
    ● Giant, jungle
    ● Gnome
    ● Iguanalon
    ● Nevaequariani [Navae]
    ● Nom-Ti †
    ● Ogre
    ● Orc
    ● Psittae
    ● Rakshasa
    ● Terali
    ● The Unseen
    ● Trollborn
    ● Verbeeg
    ● Warforged
    ● Zweibold

Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:24 pm

I did a bit of reformatting; I removed the red highlight from my source subheadings. I think it reads a lot better the new way.

I've been working on the map for the next section — The Horse Lands. The map is 99% done. However, I haven't written any of the descriptive text for it yet, so I'm going to hold off posting it until I have let its "creation" sink into my brain.

I looked at the maps in The Horde boxed set for inspiration. I've already added homebrewed versions of Semphar and Solon. :D

EDIT
I also added a new city to the Dark Continent map — Solamber.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Added the description for the city of Tânger in the section for the Northwest.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:02 am

Looking over your races I see the Catfolk and Rakasta. Curious as to how the two differentiate in your world.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:33 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Looking over your races I see the Catfolk and Rakasta. Curious as to how the two differentiate in your world.
Well, my homebrewed version of the Rakasta is a more powerful race. And, the rakasta are a more widespread race. The catfolk are as per Races of the Wild and the race rarer across the world. On Kanpur, for example, catfolk primarily live the lands of the Dark Continent while the rakasta live in the northern and central regions of the continent. The simbasta, a variant rakasta subrace (based on a DRAGON Magazine article), lives primarily in the eastern lands of the continent. Besides those three cat races, there are also kitts, felids, and the bastai. Felid is template for Book of Erotic Fantasy. (Can you say furry!) The bastai are cat race designed to fit into an Egyptian-themed campaign.

And those are just the cat races I can remember off the top of my head. On Kulan, feline-like races are as important as humans, elves, dwarves, halfings, etc.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:43 am

Oh, I also forgot about the rakshasa and and half-rakshasa. While those two races aren't offical cat races, they're close enough.

Plus, there are many canine races such as gnolls, half-gnolls, lupins, and rovens.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:07 am

Knightfall wrote:....and rovens.
That's one I've not heard of. Are they your own custom design or is it 3pp material? If the latter what source is it from?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:03 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Knightfall wrote:....and rovens.
That's one I've not heard of. Are they your own custom design or is it 3pp material? If the latter what source is it from?
Rovens are a race from the Valus sourcebook. See here...

http://www.diffworlds.com/valus.htm
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:45 am

All the write-ups for The Northwest are now done (but not the Races of Kanpur section for that region). I just added the last one for the Granite Kingdom.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:10 am

The Horse Lands
A lot of what appears on this map is inspired by the 2e FORGOTTEN REALMS boxed set known as The Horde. Cemphar is one of the most obvious re-skins from that boxed set. Another recognizable name on this map is Dragon Mountain.

CARDAY (City-state | [Elvenblooded Hittites])
The city-state of Carday will blend the fantasy myths of D&D's classic elves with the ancient people known as the Hittites who lived in Asia Minor (or Anatolia). I foresee the elven gods beings blended with the deities of the Hittite mythology. There could end up being one god known as Corellon-Wurrukatte (a Cardayan war deity) and another god known as Hasameli-Larethian (a deity worshiped by crafters and metalworkers). The options are limitless since there are tons of elven gods and even more Hittite deities. The Cardayans aren't 100% elven, however. They would be considered half-elves by the elves of the western lands, and their game statistics will reflect that opinion. Of course, culturally, they are strongly Hittite-like, and their warriors ride war chariots and use traditional Hittite weaponry. Cardayan weapons and armor aren't made of bronze, however. Their smiths work with the best materials available, and the elven aesthetic of their ancestors can be seen in their work.

CEMPHAR (FORGOTTEN REALMS The Horde boxed set)
This land is going to be my version of Semphar. While I'm going to use The Horde boxed set as the basis for what I create, I might look for more details online — like on the FORGOTTEN REALMS Wiki. While there isn't a lake on the map, I will create my own version of Brightstar Lake, which will sit in between Cemphar and the City-state of Yhimir. Shalhoond won't exist on Kanpur since I already have my own forested lands north of Cemphar. Of course, a lot of influences from The Horde boxed set are likely to be added to the Horse Lands region, especially anything centered around Murghôm, Semphar, and Raurin.

CRIMSON OASIS
There are many examples of oases located in the Raurin of the FORGOTTEN REALMS setting. I don't believe that this name came from that setting, but I could be wrong. Regardless, the Crimson Oasis will be my own creation and if I discover that I did borrow the name from Toril, I will change the name. (I think I was more inspired by the name I came up with for the expansive desert of The Horse Lands — the Red Sand Wastes [see below].)

The Crimson Oasis is the most infamous of the oases that exist in the Red Sand Wastes. It is controlled brutally by a trading house that controls the safest trade routes through the desert (especially between Cemphar and Ang-Lat). West to East trade tends to travel through the Center Lands to the south, so the Red Lords work to control all trade moving from the northern lands to the south. The Red Lords often play at politics in the southern lands, and they have gained significant financial benefits in Ang-Lat and Tumnor.

DRAGON MOUNTAIN (AD&D 2E Dragon Mountain boxed set)
I needed a remote locale to place Dragon Mountain, and I wanted it to be close enough to the western lands of Kanpur so that it can be found by curious adventures. My version of the old 2e boxed set will be influenced by a lot of 3e-isms but kobolds will remain as important to the adventure locale as before. I'm going to replace the named red dragon in the boxed set with Ashardalon, which means that characters can expect to run into dragonblooded minions of the great red with levels of the Disciple of Ashardalon prestige class.

DRAKHORN CITY (Dragonblooded races [Far East | High Fantasy])
This large desert city-state is dominated by the dragonblooded races of Kulan. The dominant race will be the dragontouched, which are humans with the draconic creature template added on — a standard race for my world. There will also be dragonborn and kobolds living here. Drakhorn City will be a placed steeped in the mythic traditions of the Far East. Therefore, the D&D Oriental Adventures book will be the primary sourcebook for its characters. However, I'm going to excise the Rokugan influences from that book. Kanpur's Far East will be influenced more by the FORGOTTEN REALMS Kara-Tur campaign setting. I foresee Drakhorn City being more of a border city than a true Far East city, however. It will be influenced by The Horde boxed set, D&D Dragon Magic, D&D Races of the Dragon, and my own twisted imagination. :twisted:

ENHGIR (Eldred elves and Kets [Siberian taiga])
The forest known as Enhgir is home to two different civilizations. First, there are the Eldred elves that live in the deepest parts of the taiga forest. The forest gained its name from these elves, and they claim it as their own. The Eldred are a well-known race in Kanpur's Far East. The Eldred of Enhgir are a bit different, however. Their society is a blending of elven and oriental culture while the Eldred living in the Eastern Lands consider themselves completely oriental.

The Eldred are not alone in Enhgir. There is also a nomadic human culture — the Ketto — living in the forest. They are hunters and fishers, and they have been known to breed reindeer. Their society is patriarchal and their holy men are spirit shamans. (Deers and bears are sacred to them.) They respect and fear the Eldred. The elves, in return, are very protective of the Ketto, although they won't intervene when it is nature that threatens the Ketto. Outsiders, on the other hand, will face the wrath of the Eldred if they harm the Ketto.

ICEWALL (Frostfell city-state)
I wrote this name on my map after watching the free online preview of the new "A Game of Thrones" HBO series. While what I saw inspired the name, D&D Frostburn and The Horde boxed set are more likely to inspire what I create for Icewall.

KAN-SHUL (City-state | Tocharians [Korobokuru | Highly Mystical])
The city-state of Kan-Shul sits on the northern edge of the Kar Mountains. To the north is Drakhorn City, to the southwest is the city-state of Carday, and to the southeast across the mountain range is Kingdom of Karshat. Despite the proximity of these various lands, Kan-Shul has always stood alone. It is a mystical place known for its peaceful, yet powerful, korobokuru monks. Outsiders are allowed to visit a nearby outpost in the hills but very few non-korobokuru have ever seen inside Kan-Shul.

The korobokuru have remained isolated due to the powerful mystical energies that protect Kan-Shul. Only once, in the distant past, has the city-state fallen to a foreign force. It didn't go so well for the invaders. Kan-Shul is considered a holy place by mysterious, planar beings. The invaders were cursed for their crimes — none survived. It has remained isolated to this day based on the perceived might of these planar beings.

While the korobokuru do not talk about these beings to outsiders, a few facts have been discovered. Ancient pictographs near Kan-Shul in the mountain range depict two beings related to a sun and a moon. Scholars wonder why there isn't a second moon pictograph since Kulan has two moons. Could Kan-Shul originally be from another world? Or, in the distant past, did Kulan once have only one moon? Only the natives of Kan-Shul know the answer and they tell no one.

KARSHAT (Nonhumans [Greco-Bactrian Kingdom])
The kingdom known as Karshat is ruled by a massive half-goblin named Friblord Jubirmianus. The kingdom is comprised of four small city-states that exist in a semi-mountainous region between the Red Sand Wastes and the Forest of the Golden Sun. The kingdom is blend of western and eastern traditions, although its ruler prefers to focus on the worst aspects of Kanpur's western and eastern traditions. He is a brute who wishes to expand Karshat's borders by any means. His subjects are somewhat more neutral in their outlook and many believe that Karshat is on its way to revolt. Karshat and Carday are bitter enemies. Friblord also has his sights set on Kan-Shul, but he is wary of the mystical abilities of the korobokuru.

MOUNT RUIHR (FORGOTTEN REALMS The Horde boxed set)
Mount Ruihr is Kulan's version of the structure known as 'Raudor' from the FORGOTTEN REALMS campaign setting. I wasn't sure where I got the name, but I did see the name on one of Markustay's maps on DeviantART. I confirmed with him that the Raudor ruins on listed on pp. 98-100 of The Horde boxed set. (My gut told me that Mount Ruihr was based on something Realmsian.) The ruins are that of a destroyed city built during a previous age. The ruins are not a safe place for travelers, as it haunted by ancient horrors and deadly traps. Locals who live in the surrounding desert never venture near Mount Ruihr, although the insane often flock to it like moths to a flame. There is a powerful aura of magic that infects every stone, every building of the ruins. Mad wizards have often tried to gain control of the twisting passages that exist under the ruined city. Alienist, in particular, are attracted to the place and those that survive Mount ruihr's depths often come out more crazed and definitely come out more powerful.

QUAI (City-state | Spiritborn Evenks [Siberian taiga])
The City-state of Quai will be based on combining the cultural background of the Evenks — a Tungusic people of Northern Asia — with the D&D spirit folk. Now, that's the easy explanation. In truth, the Quais will be less pastoral than the traditional culture of the Evenks. Their connection to the Spirit Folk is based on their religious beliefs (see below).

Quai is a founded city-state, although it is small city. Its people highly respect the Eldred elves of the Enhgir Forest, and they have begun to adopt the lifestyle of the elves, especially the oriental aspects of the elves' culture. They have started referring to themselves as the Èlqüaì Zú in homage to the elves who they see as their teachers. (Note: There are other Quais who continue to live more traditionally, but they are becoming rare.) Quai is laid out very differently than other human cities. The Èlqüaì Zú build simple conical homes based on the designs they once used for their traditional tents. They also use a crude form of the traditional styles of the Eldred elves. The resulting architecture is often strange to outsiders. There aren't any true inns or taverns in Quai. Visitors must either live as a guest in the home of a local or build their own tent/hut in the Outsiders District. Elves (even those not born of the Eldred) are always offered lodging in a home of an important Èlqüaì Zú family.

The Èlqüaì Zú, much like the Ketto, breed reindeer. They use them for mounts and they drink the milk of the animal. Hunting is still a important aspect of their lives, and they often go after large game. The Èlqüaì Zú do not eat their domesticated reindeer, but they will hunt wild reindeer. They never hunt for sport, which endears them to the Eldred. Èlqüaì Zú traditional religion is Animism. Spirit shamans are their religious leaders; however, some Èlqüaì Zú have begun to worship the deities of the elves. These highly spiritual people have the blood of the spirit folk running through their veins; however, they are not true spirit folk. The correct term is 'spiritborn', which gives them a strong affinity for the natural world. (I'm not sure how I'll work this in game terms, yet.)

RED SAND WASTES, THE (Mythic Mongolia [Anatolia- and Eastern-style influences])
The name I gave to the desert is directly inspired by the maps in The Horde boxed set. I've always loved the reddish look of the deserts on those maps. I'm sure that I'll use Raurin locales for the Red Sand Wastes as well as a few of the more intriguing places of note from the Quoya Desert (i.e. Merket Despression).

SHAYUNG (Mixed races in an independent city-state [Russian-Far East Mix])
Still to be written.

SOGUKOL (Mythic Mongolia [some Western-style influences])
Sogukol isn't so much a place as a way of life. The people who refer to themselves as Sogukols are a Mongolian-like people who live by the horse. They are warriors and raiders who war amongst themselves as often as they do other peoples. They are a resilient folk who live in some of the worst conditions imaginable. There isn't a single tribe of Sogukols. There are half-a-dozen tribes that live in the Red Sand Wastes and each has its own leadership. Alliances between the tribes are uncommon, but these people will band together when threatened. Endemic warfare is a common practice of the Sogukol peoples.

SOLOMIR (FORGOTTEN REALMS The Horde boxed set)
This city-state is another renamed locale swiped out of The Horde boxed set. It is my version of Solon. Solomir is an ancient city that has had conflicts with the lands of Kanpur's Far East as well as Cemphar and Enhgir. In ages past, the city's rulers have controlled large portions of the Horse Lands. Now, however, the city is a shell of its former self and rumors abound that its current leader either has made pacts with evil outsiders or is an evil creature himself. It is whispered that he may even be a demigod. Travelers in the Red Sand Wastes are advised to avoid Solomir.

STARMEET (SPELLJAMMER port [High Fantasy])
Once I'd added Dragon Mountain to the range of mountains that forms the western border of this region, I knew I wanted something just as cool for the southern half of the mountain range. And, I'd been thinking about placing a sky port somewhere on Kanpur with strong ties to my version of Spelljammer. Thus, Starmeet came into being. The name sounds vaguely elven to me and perhaps this Spelljamming port is controlled by the elves of Kulanspace. I haven't decided yet. What I have decided is that it will be the largest Spelljamming port in the northern lands. It's going to be a metropolis, but it isn't going to be well known amongst the groundling nations of Kanpur. Sure, the citizens of Bluffside to the west and Sharn to the south have heard of it, but since those two city-states are also destinations for Spelljamming vessels, it's easier for the knowledge of Starmeet's existence to spread to Bluffside and Sharn. Plus, it's not a hard-fought secret.

STONEBRIDGE (Stonebridge: City of Illusion [d20 Sourcebook]) [Not Depicted on Map]
Still to be written.

YHIMIR (FORGOTTEN REALMS The Horde boxed set)
This name came about as I was trying to rename Murghôm from The Horde boxed set. Therefore, it will be based on that small region although it might end up being a combination of Murghôm and Mulhorand but less grand. I don't know yet. Wikipedia notes that Murghôm has been compared to several real world civilizations/cultures including Canaan, Cossack culture, and Turkish culture. I think I'm leaning more towards Cossack culture since Yhimir is close to Torassia. Turkish influences are possible, I guess, but I won't be using Canaan for the city-state since I already have a Canaan-inspired city-state (called Caanid) on the southern edge of the Red Sand Wastes.

Image will not link properly from E.N. World.
Click on this link to see the map. I will try to fix it, but the forum doesn't seem to like linked images from E.N. World. I know the image is the right size for The Piazza, but it keeps giving me this error: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

New Hex Map Version of The Horselands

RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
Part Six: The Horse Lands
Still to be written.

The List
● Alcor
● Bronth †
● Dwarf, tiger
● Elf, Eldred †
● Fezroki
● Giant, cave
● Giant, taiga
● Gnome, Stonebridge
● Goatfolk [Ibixian]
● Gronk
● Gulgar
● Hagspawn
● Half-Bugbear
● Half-Goblin
● Half-Orc
● Hobgoblin, Dazlak
● Hengeyokai
● Khesta
● Korobokuru
● Kreen, Jor
● Lizardfolk, blackscale
● Ogre
● Orc
● Orc, black
● Orc, blood
● Orc, ghost-faced
● Rakasta †
● Reigon
● Rgulbuk
● Taer
● Titanite, Mammuth †
● Troll
● Troll, crystalline
● Trollborn
● Uldra
● Volodni

Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Note: I'm currently finishing the descriptions for the kingdoms/empires of the Dark Continent.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Kanpur: The Ancient Lands

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:41 pm

The Center Lands
Introduction still to be written.

AEGIS (Mythic Greece [Hellenistic period] | Relics & Rituals: Olympus [d20 sourcebook])
Aegis is my Mythic Greece and will draw a lot from texts I own (and Wikipedia) as well as Sword & Sorcery Studio's “Relics & Rituals: Olympus.” However, in my version of Mythic Greece, Zeus has gone insane and several of the Hellenic Deities have either died or left the pantheon. Those deities remaining are greatly changed from the Olympian Gods we all know. Many have succumbed to corruption and decadence (shifts in alignment towards chaos and evil). Athena now rules the Olympians and the Titans and Primordial Gods have gained a resurgence in followers.

ANG-LAT (High Magic | Desert Kingdom | some Sea Peoples influence)
Still to be written.

ASSYLONIA (Mythic Assyria/Babylonia | Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia [d20 sourcebook])
Assylonia is my Mythic Mesopotamia (with emphasis on Assyria [and likely Babylonia] as per the Wikipedia entries) and will be based mainly on the d20 sourcebook Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia by Necromancer Games. (The PLANESCAPE On Hallowed Ground sourcebook from 2nd Edition will also be important.)

CAANID (City-state | Mythic Canaan [based on Kadesh])
Still to be written.

FARRIS PLAINS (Untamed region | Monstrous | EBERRON Dragonmarked)
Still to be written.

FREE CITIES OR DRAGONMARKED CITIES (EBERRON Five Nations | EBERRON Dragonmarked | several d20 sourcebooks)
This group of city-states came about in hopes of creating a suitable region to place Scopula. I soon realized that Scopula wouldn't fit in the area without significant changes to its physical orientation, so it quickly moved to the other side of the Dragon Sands and the Sundered Mountains. Regardless, the name for the region stuck and there are now half-a-dozen independent city-states that make up the Free Cities — more may be added.

While several of the city-states on the western edge of Farris Plains will be influenced by the Greek/Roman lands around the two seas (Illiadis and Varv-Aran), the whole area will lean more towards Sharn in culture and magic. The Free Cities are also known as the Dragonmarked Cities. Dragonshard magic is commonplace here, but it can also be found in all the lands surrounding Sharn, especially to the south (Phillistia [not on this map]) and to the northwest (the Dragon Sands and Bluffside).

ROLIAN (City-state [Primarily Demihuman] | High Fantasy [Bridge City/Planar Links])
Still to be written.

SCYLLAS (Monstrous [Decadent] | Mythic Greece/Near East [Greek Dark Ages] | MYTHIC VISTAS Trojan War [d20 sourcebook])
Still to be written.

SHARN (City-state | EBERRON Sharn: City of Towers)
Still to be written.

THAYIS (FORGOTTEN REALMS Unapproachable East [heavily modified] | MYTHIC VISTAS Trojan War [d20 sourcebook])
Still to be written.

TUMNOR (Mythic Greece [Macedonia (heavily Romanized)] | MYTHIC VISTAS Eternal Rome [d20 sourcebook])
Still to be written.

VALENAS (Alliance of city-states | Mythic Greece/Near East [Seleucid Empire] | EBERRON Dragonmarked)
Still to be written.

VUNDARA (City-state | A Mage's Tale [d20 adventure/sourcebook] | EBERRON Dragonmarked) [Not Depicted on Map]
Still to be written.

New Hex Map Version of The Center Lands

RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
Part Seven: The Center Lands

• Still to be written.

Common Races
    ● Hadozee
    ● Half-Orc
    ● Kitt †
    ● Orc
    ● Rakasta †
    ● Spartes

Uncommon Races
    ● Asaatth
    ● Centaur
    ● Dover
    ● Roven
    ● Satyr

Rare Races
    ● Decataur
    ● Elf, Eldred †
    ● Faust
    ● Giant, wood
    ● Half-Bugbear
    ● Half-Elf, Hellenic
    ● Half-Elf [of Sharn]
    ● Half-Goblin
    ● Half-Medusa [Template]
    ● Illumian
    ● Kalashtar
    ● Litorian
    ● Nevaequariani [Navae]
    ● Sibeccai
    ● Sixam Ieuna
    ● Trollborn
    ● Verrik

Restricted Races
    ● Changling
    ● Cyclops
    ● Dwarf [of Hephaestus]
    ● Dwarf [of Sharn]
    ● Eleti
    ● Elf [of Sharn]
    ● Elf, Selenauos [Sea Elf]
    ● Elf, Therian [Wild Elf]
    ● Faun
    ● Frenaqi
    ● Giant, sand
    ● Gnoll
    ● Gnome [of Athena]
    ● Gnome [of Sharn]
    ● Gnome, steam
    ● Goatfolk [Ibixian]
    ● Goblin, Bakad [Haggler]
    ● Goblin, Mad Smith
    ● Gruwaar
    ● Half-Titan [Template]
    ● Halfling [of Hermes]
    ● Halfling [of Sharn]
    ● Kratch
    ● Ogre
    ● Pixie
    ● Psiforged
    ● Shifter
    ● Troll
    ● Warforged
    ● Warforged Charger
    ● Warforged Scout
    ● Zamrul

Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:04 am

The Haunted Lands
Still to be written.

RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
See under the next post.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:03 am

The Land of Fate
Still to be written.

RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
Part Eight: The Land of Fate [including The Haunted Lands and The Crowded Sea]

• Still to be written.

Common Races
    ● Asaatth
    ● Blount †
    ● Dragonkin
    ● Dwarf
    ● Elf
    ● Genasi [all]
    ● Gnoll
    ● Gnome
    ● Goblin
    ● Hadozee
    ● Half-Bugbear
    ● Half-Elf
    ● Half-Giant
    ● Half-Goblin
    ● Half-Orc
    ● Hobgoblin
    ● Illumian
    ● Janni
    ● Kitt †
    ● Lizardfolk
    ● Ogre
    ● Ogrekin [Template]
    ● Orc
    ● Pixie
    ● Rakasta †
    ● Vogel
    ● Xeph

Uncommon Races
    ● Draconesti †
    ● Elf, Eldred †
    ● Geckofolk †
    ● Half-Rakshasa [Template]
    ● Jinoor
    ● Kalashtar
    ● Litorian
    ● Lizardfolk, giant
    ● Maenad
    ● Nevaequariani [Navae]
    ● Ologatu
    ● Orc, greenskin
    ● Raptoran
    ● Satyr
    ● Sibeccai
    ● Sixam Ieuna
    ● Spirit Folk, river
    ● Tasloi
    ● Trollborn
    ● Verrik
    ● Wyrd

Restricted Races
    ● Eleti
    ● Giant, sand
    ● Goatfolk [Ibixian]
    ● Gruwaar
    ● Half-Medusa [Template]
    ● Half-Titan [Template]
    ● Miredweller
    ● Nom-Ti †
    ● Rakshasa
    ● Shifter
    ● Troll
    ● Warforged
    ● Yak folk
    ● Zephtaur

Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:05 am

The Crowded Sea
Still to be written.

Map to be Redone.

RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
See under the previous post.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:50 am

The Eastern Lands
RACES OF KANPUR (cont.)
Part Nine: The Iceshield Lands

• Still to be written.

The List
    ● Ashalan
    ● Bakeneko
    ● Bronth †
    ● Elf, Eldred †
    ● Giant, ogre
    ● Gronk
    ● Guardian statue
    ● Hagspawn
    ● Hengeyokai
    ● Kalashtar
    ● Kitsu
    ● Klorthak †
    ● Korobokuru
    ● Naga, asp bloodline
    ● Naga, constrictor bloodline
    ● Naga, other bloodline
    ● Nezumi
    ● Ningyo
    ● Nue
    ● Ogre mage
    ● Orc, Urik-Aa †
    ● Porthunguin
    ● Rakshasa
    ● Shamki †
    ● Shan Sao
    ● Simbasta †
    ● Spirit folk, bamboo and sea
    ● Spirit folk, mountain and river
    ● Tanuki
    ● Tasloi
    ● Taer
    ● Uldra
    ● Vanara
    ● Volodni
    ● Yak Folk
    ● Zokujin
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Part Ten: The Eastern Empires

• Still to be written.

Common Races
      ● Hengeyokai
      ● Kalashtar
      ● Klorthak †
      ● Korobokuru
      ● Nezumi
      ● Orc, Urik-Aa †
      ● Simbasta †
      ● Vanara

Uncommon Races
      ● Elf, Eldred †
      ● Giant, wood
      ● Illumian
      ● Kenku
      ● Orc, ghost-faced
      ● Shamki †
      ● Shan Sao
      ● Tasloi

Restricted Races
      ● Ashalan
      ● Bakeneko
      ● Churr
      ● Giant, ogre
      ● Guardian statue
      ● Kitsu
      ● Naga, asp bloodline
      ● Naga, other bloodline
      ● Ningyo
      ● Nue
      ● Ogre mage
      ● Porthunguin
      ● Rakshasa
      ● Raptoran
      ● Sulwynarii
      ● Tanuki
      ● Troll, steppe
      ● Yak folk
      ● Zokujin
      ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Part Eleven: Indjiran Peninsula

• Still to be written.

Common Races
        ● Halfling, Rangtsen
        ● Hengeyokai
        ● Illumian
        ● Kalashtar
        ● Klorthak †
        ● Maenad
        ● Nezumi
        ● Orc, Urik-Aa †
        ● Titanite, Indjiran †
        ● Tortle †
        ● Simbasta †
        ● Vanara

Uncommon Races
        ● Elf, Amarati
        ● Elf, Eldred †
        ● Elf, Puskamu
        ● Geckofolk †
        ● Gnome, Jendram
        ● Gruwaar
        ● Half-Githzerai
        ● Half-Rakshasa [Template]
        ● Lizardfolk, giant
        ● Orc, Greenskin
        ● Raptoran
        ● Shamki †
        ● Shan Sao
        ● Tasloi
        ● Vogel
        ● Xeph

Restricted Races
        ● Ashalan
        ● Bakeneko
        ● Bhaviratye
        ● Devata
        ● Dwarf, Nivashan
        ● Eleti
        ● Giant, ogre
        ● Gnoll
        ● Guardian statue
        ● Jinoor
        ● Kenku
        ● Kitsu
        ● Kroy
        ● Naga, asp bloodline
        ● Naga, other bloodline
        ● Ningyo
        ● Nom-Ti †
        ● Nue
        ● Nymph, fire
        ● Ogre mage
        ● Porthunguin
        ● Rakshasa
        ● Ravarakin
        ● Scorn
        ● Shifter
        ● Sulwynarii
        ● Tanuki
        ● Tindali
        ● Varaana
        ● Yak folk
        ● Zokujin

Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:57 am

Copied over from 'Continents Poll' thread...
Knightfall wrote:
Chimpman wrote:I'm most interested in the Ancient lands for two reasons: 1) Drakhorn City, and 2) Starmeet. I'd love to know how the dragonblooded races came to be, and what their relationship is to dragons (both currently and in the past). And of course being a spelljammer fan, I most definitely want to know more about how spelljammers are possibly interacting with the world.
The dragonblooded races are vital to a Kulan campaign. Of the seven PC race options that can be found ANYWHERE on the world, three of them are dragonblooded -- the dragontouched, the dragonborn, and half-dragons. Of those three, the dragontouched are the most common. Half-dragon characters are usually rare but exceptions will likely be the norm. The rarity of dragonborn characters will fluctuate widely depending on the continent/region. On Kanpur, all three racial options are less than rare with half-dragon characters being the most unique.

All three races will dominate the political and social makeup of Drakhorn City. In this case, I see dragonborn being the most dominant. They consider themselves to be closer to dragons than the dragontouched. However, half-dragons, while less common in the city, are looked at with awe by all in the city. They are the children of dragons; they are touched by greatness. And while they rarely rule, they are often looked at as being nearly divine in form. (True dragons are worshiped as living embodiments of the Dragon Gods by the citizenry of Drakhorn City.)

Now, when it comes to Starmeet, I'm a little less certain. The name was inspired by Evermeet in the Forgotten Realms, and in many ways, that book may be a huge source of inspiration for how Starmeet develops. Will Starmeet be Evermeet combined with Spelljammer? I cannot say yet. What I can say is that its citizenry will be very knowledgeable about Kulanspace. It will be a place of high magic and powerful lore. And it won't be easy for groundlings to get to without a spelljammer and a invite from a well-respected citizen of the port. Those who spelljam for a living and are known (but not infamous) in Kulanspace are always welcome at Starmeet.

Note that while Kulan has no native drow, there are drow living in Kulanspace. They aren't commonplace, by any means, but they are out there. Drow are never welcome in Starmeet, but they have been seen walking the streets of other less reputable spelljamming ports across the world. Drow who visit Kulan, and Kanpur in particular, are taking a huge risk. Elves will almost always shun or attack them. Gray dwarves will hire the best assassins to kill them, if they cannot kill them themselves. No price is too high. The one place on Kanpur where spelljamming drow can blend in without too much difficulty is Zakhara. Its racial tolerance allows spelljamming drow to come and go, although the race is beginning to earn a bad reputation. High tariffs keep the worst drow traders away. A drow who causes too much mischief will eventually have to deal with the holy slayers of Assassin Mountain. :twisted:
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:12 am

Added maps for The Haunted Lands and The Crowded Sea. -KF
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 am

Added some more details for the Horse Lands. -KF
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:54 am

Copied over from 'Continents Poll' thread...
Knightfall wrote:As a followup to Chimpman's request about the dragonblooded races and their relatonship to dragons, I should note there are some unique factors regarding dragons in or near Drakhorn City. Primarily, the true dragons of this region will be the oriental dragons. And while other true dragons are not unheard of in the region, they are often isolated outcasts known as rogues. They have turned their backs on the Balance and the tenets of the Dragon Gods.

Io is the most important dragon deity, regardless of dragon type or subtype, even for the oriental dragons of Kanpur's Far East. Bahumut and Tiamat are not true gods in Kulan's cosmology. Bahumut is a LG Celestial Paragon as per the Book of Exalted Deeds while Tiamat is a LE Archdevil. Neither of these beings have worshipers in Drakhorn City. The other true dragon gods are as follows: Aasterinian, Messenger of Io (CN); Astilabor, The Acquisitor, Hoardmistress (TN); Chronepsis, The Silent, The Watcher (TN); Falazure, The Night Dragon, The Rogue Dragon God (NE); Lendys, Scale of Justice, The Balancer, Weigher of Lives (LN); Nathair, The Dragon of Mischief (TN); Tamara, Her Beneficence, Her Mercy (NG); Viccan, Draco's Protector, Master of Dragon Magic (TN); Zelloran, The Adventurer, The Dragontouched, The Warrior (TN).

Io has many titles including Creator of Dragonkind, Swallower of Shades, The Dragon of the Spire, The Great Eternal Wheel, and The Ninefold Dragon. And Io is, of course, True Neutral.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”